Start by marking “Dreamers Often Lie” as Want to Read:
Dreamers Often Lie

Dreamers Often Lie

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  514 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Jaye wakes up from a skiing accident with a fractured skull, a blinding headache, and her grip on reality sliding into delusion. Determined to get back to her starring role in the school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, Jaye lies to her sister, her mom, her doctors. She's fine, she says. She's fine. If anyone knew the truth - that hallucinations of Shakespeare and ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Dreamers Often Lie, please sign up.
Ryan It of course depends on their interests and level of maturity. The book has some mild scenes of violence, has an unreliable narrator (she has brain…moreIt of course depends on their interests and level of maturity. The book has some mild scenes of violence, has an unreliable narrator (she has brain damage after all), and deals with some tough emotional issues. That being said, it's a dreamy, thrilling journey, and especially so for kids involved in the arts - particularly drama.(less)

Aditi
“Strange, I thought, how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the very same time.”

----Ransom Riggs

Jacqueline West, an American author, pens a thoroughly gripping YA story, Dreamers Often Lie that narrates the tale of a young teenage girl who after suffering from a dangerous skiing accident faces from disturbing dreams which is hard to distinguish on whether they are real or not. Moreover, her dreams her inspired from Shakespeare's famous play, Romeo and Juliet, and Hamlet. She
Katie Grace
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, 4-star
WOW SO THIS WAS GLORIOUS. It mixes shakespeare and mental illness and just a trippy plot and you never know what's actually happening?? But ahhh the writing was so pretty. o.o
But, whenever one of my Goodread's friends reads this... message me. We need to talk about the ending because I'm kind of confused. xD

// 4.5
Sabrina
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

The major attraction to this book was the Shakespeare influence throughout the novel. Hamlet was an interesting commentary for Jaye's life. At some point I wanted Hamlet to commenting my life but I thought it would be a bad idea. Hamlet I believe, represents her line between real life and what goes on in her mind.

I'll be honest, I was really drawn to this book based off the cover. It's absolutely love it. This story is c
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

Diversity Rating: 0 – What Diversity?
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0 (possible gay guy, but that uncertainty is why I’m marking this as bad/no rep)
Disability: 0 (while Jaye has a major head injury and hallucinations, I’m not happy with their handling)
Intersectionality: 0

I’m sure Dreamers Often Lie will earn all sorts of honors and awards in the coming year. I’ve got a habit of recognizing literary YA and disliking it! See: Printz winner/National Book Award fin
Cassie C
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
Review to come!

Update 5/19/16:

See more reviews on my blog Novels and Necklaces

description

Let me start off this review by saying that I was extremely excited to read this novel. From the beautiful cover to the intriguing blurb...I thought this book would be right up my alley. Unfortunately, it just wasn't for me. I think a lot of people will like this book, but it wasn't my cup of tea and there was too many things I couldn't get over to give this a higher rating. I honestly considered DNF'ing it about halfw
Tikaa
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Biggest Mind F*CK of 2016
If you've read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and seen (and loved) the movie The Black Swan for the hallucinations, you are certainly going to enjoy Dreamers Often Lie. This is my first time enjoying anything dealing with Shakespeare, (look school makes everything sucky okay) but the way the author executed this story giving me the trippiest experience I've ever witnessed in YA . . . I don't even know yall, that's how cray this book is.

Jaye, our theater queen, is the "
{Tracy Thai}
Aimee Meester
WELL THAT WAS INTENSE.
Victoria
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I honestly don't know what to think. Ideally I would love it. The concept is original; a modern-day retelling of Romeo and Juliet, with the main character, Jaye, having a head injury causing her to hallucinate and forget things. The hallucinations were creepy and well-done. Jaye's love of acting also made her an original character. The idea of family conflicts is also well-done, clearly showing that seemingly perfect families can be quite dysfunctional in reality. The conflict Jaye has with her ...more
Nafiza
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a fairly short and gripping read and would have gotten four stars from me had it not been for that abrupt ending that left too many questions unanswered and the narrative uncertain and unsettled. I am not averse to open endings but I felt that this one was just frustrating especially since I had become so invested in the characters. Sigh.
Peaches
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Yes, I finished it in a day and, as someone who has a Master's in English and is seriously considering completing my Ph.D. in the subject, I found the idea original, thought-provoking, and educational, I had some serious qualms with this book that rapidly altered my anticipated 5 stars review (for ideas) into a mediocre 3. Now, I definitely think 3 star books can be worthwhile and am not attempting to encourage anyone to not read it on my account, but it just could have been so much better than ...more
Stephanie
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

Well this was certainly beautifully written. Had me at the edge of my seat the last third, too. But that ending. What in the world just happened?!?

Open endings work sometimes, but this book asked way too many really important questions and literally didn't answer any of them. Not so sure I'm happy about that.
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
This was an interesting character piece. I really enjoyed it. I loved the Shakespeare characters too. It was very dream like, in a lot of ways. A solid 4 stars up until the end. The end is this weird open thing that doesn't resolve the whole piece thing. It was just weird.
WJ
Jun 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
A girl with a head injury + obsession with performing Shakespeare + starts seeing characters from the plays everywhere = interesting premise.

But.

The execution of this book, though. It leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Let me first be clear: I adore books with unreliable narrators (see for example Made You Up) and Jaye is certainly unreliable. Jaye is suffering from a head injury after a skiing accident. Her memory is spotty after the accident and when she first wakes up, she sometimes finds hers
Cori
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, romance
What intrigued me: I couldn't wait to read this book after reading the excerpt included in this Entertainment Weekly article.

What I liked: This book is so engrossing I read it in one sitting. Jaye is a very believable character and reminds me of my little brother. I loved her interactions with Rob. There are too many YA books where the female lead loses her voice around the boy, but I'm happy to report that did not happen here.

What I didn't like: n/a

Favorite quote: I don't have a copy of the boo
Megan
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Twisty and labyrinthine, confusing in all the right ways, dreamy and nightmarish with plenty of swoon, this was just like going to a Shakespeare play for me - it pulled me completely under and I'm still not sure if any of it was real. A fresh new voice for YA lit!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Dreamers Often Lie showed up unsolicited and the Shakespeare element and beautiful cover made me decide to give it a try. I read the prologue and the first couple pages, and there are warning signs this book isn't for none: lots of short, choppy sentences and some metaphors gone wild.
Kitkat
Nov 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was predictable and boring. I thought it was boring and thought it would go one way but it went another. The characters i mostly didn’t like and I didn’t like the plot. I really wouldn’t read this again.
Hannah Rodriguez
Cali Geriba
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alexis
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am about to go against everything everyone has said on here. I didn't enjoy this book at all. I mostly finished it out of obligation, and partly because I wanted to see if Jaye ever learned her lesson or not.

MINOR SPOILERS!

I was bored with this book when I started it, even though I was really excited about it.The whole book was basically: school, then hallucination, rehearsal, hallucination omg I can't finish rehearsal, getting into trouble.

Jaye was a character that I disliked about halfway th
Cold Brew Reads
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
A difficult 3 stars to assign, because a lot of the book deserved higher. The hallucinations that constitute the central premise both promise intrigue and present a completely unique window into the soul of our protagonist (bonus points for neat parallels between Shakespearean plots of dueling lovers and dead fathers), and the story's YA "bones" of the heroine's family and romantic concerns interlock nicely and expand on the genre's conventions (particularly commendable is how the author *combin ...more
Sarah Guinee
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's eerie how close to home this book hit. Jaye and I have so much in common, down to our favorite movie, that I found myself wrapped up in her emotions just as intensely as I feel my own. The writing is almost flawless and the pace made this book a 24-hour read for me - I simply could not put it down. It's one star away from perfect for me just because I felt the ending a little abrupt, a couple of key questions left maybe too open-ended. Other than that, Dreamers Often Lie is a delight.
Kelli
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is all grown up from West's earlier books of Elsewhere...This is a cunning and clever look at the power of the human mind after a head trauma. The entire book inkblots itself from one hallucination to the next blending reality and the unreal into one swinging plot line. Flashback and foreshadowing allow the reader a clear view even when Jaye is unable to see clearly. Fantastic ending...Shakespeare followers...Meet Romeo and Juliet, Orphelia and Hamlet's ghost. Just amazing writing!
Ryan
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Creepy and ethereal and keeps your brain on its toes. This book captures the feeling of being an actor in a play in such an eloquent way, while mixing in elements of hallucination and not being able to trust your own senses. I've read it many times (as it was being written) and will gladly read it many more.
Cindy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
What the heck did I just read. The narrator is purposely unreliable which means you gave no clue what you are reading and whether it is true or not.
Anna
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Basically Jaye hits her head a lot and hallucinates but like in an interesting way.
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars... it's a 5 star book but the ending just ruined me. I need more than that ending!
Cheris
Apr 27, 2016 added it
Can someone pls explain the ending?!!
  • Stone Field
  • Ask Me
  • Gem & Dixie
  • You in Five Acts
  • Long May She Reign
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Betwixt and Between
  • Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)
  • Ana of California
  • Duels and Deception
  • Away We Go
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Really? I love being onstage.” I shuffled my feet against the fake grass. “My favorite thing is that feeling when you’re waiting in the wings, in the dark, totally hidden, but you can feel the audience out there, and then you step out and the lights hit you, and you’re blinded for a second, and you could be anywhere, but you know you’re inside this thing that you’re helping to create, and it’s like—it’s like electricity.” 3 likes