Start by marking “Outward Blonde” as Want to Read:
Outward Blonde

Outward Blonde

Sixteen-year-old Lizzie Finkelstein is a hard-partying socialite who lives a charmed life with her mother in Manhattan. After a public drunken sexual escapade results in both an arrest and an embarrassing viral video online, Lizzie’s parents stage a late night intervention. Lizzie finds herself whisked away to Utah to learn a lesson or two about taking responsibility at Ca ...more
320 pages
Published October 18th 2016 by Adaptive Books

To ask other readers questions about Outward Blonde, please sign up.

Start your review of Outward Blonde
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 24

Outward Blonde is about a spoiled rich girl, which I knew going in and thought I could handle. But then she tindr matched with James Franco at the start. And then she picked up a 25 year-old in a bar. She's arrested for caring a fake ID. Her voice really grates on me, and, though this is clearly a character arc book, I have terrible buying the cheesy ending scene because she still seems insufferable. I don't want to be in her head for almost three hundred pages.

It's also just one o
Joli
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read OUTWARD BLONDE because I was interested in the idea of taking the spoiled little rich girl out of the city and seeing how she would handle being in a wilderness survival program. As it turns out, she doesn't handle it very well. OUTWARD BLONDE is filled with many silliness and humor, but tackles some tough topics bullying and gambling, oh and lots of James Franco.

What I liked:

*As silly as it may seem, I liked that bathroom issues while camping were addressed. It's very rare to h
Laina SpareTime
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cross-posted from my blog where there's more information on where I got my copy and a TON of links.

Let's get this out of the way - I didn't like this. The writing is fine. The writing is probably the best part of the book, as it's engaging and entertaining. If you can ignore the representation of the real life thing, and you enjoy kind of that chick flick feel type of book, you would probably like this fine. I could not do that. There will probably be spoilers in this review, and I apologize for
Meghan Koleszar
I thought the book was cute, but it did not achieve the depth it was aiming for. I enjoyed most parts; some of the aspects which made it difficult to enjoy were the main character and plot structure. The main character was privileged and entitled which made her hard to relate to. The plot structure seemed a bit unorganized, and I felt like their was no climax. It was a fluffy read with an interesting concept, so I would only recommend it if you are looking for something quick and simple to read.
Joana (The Boundless Booklist)
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lindsey
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Beth Rodgers
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Outward Blonde' by Trish Cook was a fun read. Main character Lizzie, while believing she is fiercely independent and able to stand on her own two feet no matter the circumstances, finds herself thrown headfirst into trouble of her own making, which only becomes worse when her parents decide they've had enough of her immaturity and proceed to send her to a wilderness camp as a means of helping her "find herself."

As the novel progresses, Lizzie realizes, even though she does everything in her pow
Delaney
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outward Blonde tells the story of Elizabeth Finklestien, a 16 year old party-addict. Trish Cook has written 6 other books, with two being Midnight Sun and A Really Awesome Mess.
Lizzie sneaks out to parties all the time with her friend Jem. A dashcam video of Lizzie yelling at a cop goes viral online. The next morning, her mom sees the video and calls her dad who lives in Africa. Together, they decide to send Lizzie to Camp Smiley.In the middle of the night, she was “kidnapped” by two people who
Lindie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Note: This book is way better than the cover makes it out to be. From start to finish, this book took me about 50 hours. Every time I put it down, I wanted to come back and what the characters were up to. Also, this would make a really cute YA movie. Would also make a great beach read.

Description: Elizabeth "Lizzie" is a Manhattan socialite and all that that entails. Her mother is around but often emotionally unavailable and her father lives out of the country and is physically unavailable. Unf
Amanda
This sounded like it would be a cute, funny book, but I found myself frustrated through most of it. Lizzie was a spoiled, selfish, and snobby character. She thinks that money can buy her anything and can be used to bribe her way out of trouble. Lizzie doesn't want to take responsibility for her mistakes either and she thinks if she keeps begging and putting on a helpless act that she can get out of her punishment. I got tired of hearing her constant complaining. It took Lizzie a long time to get ...more
Rebekah Askew
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Outward Blonde was a quick, engaging read. Personally, I felt disconnected from the protagonist and found her annoying through most of the book. However, I think that is the danger of an adult reading a story about a self-absorbed teenager who has had precious little supervision in her life. I probably would have found her more likeable when I was a teenager--at least I would have been more sympathetic towards her. I have recommended the book to several of my students since I read it and they th ...more
Liralen
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2017, fiction, ya, reviewed
I mean...I guess so. I didn't have the viscerally negative reaction I did with A Really Awesome Mess, so that's something. But it strikes me that the boot-camp books I appreciate are the ones that actually look at, you know, addressing the problems that brought the kids there (and doing so in a sensitive manner)...and Lizzie lasts three days before she runs away with all her new 'friends' and goes on a teens-gone-wild bender in Las Vegas. Definitely more of a focus here on partying and whining a ...more
Kamdyn
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was about a girl who is going through serious family disconnection issues. She deals with them in the wrong way by abusing all of the wealth her family has. She has a late night fling with a guy and it ends up being terrible for her. When her parents find out she is taken away to get help for her "problems".
I liked this book because the main character changes in a way that I didn't think she could. I also liked this book because all the people she meets are really cool and funny and I
Cara
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-or-frivolity
I wanted a stupid book to help me keep depression at bay. I was afraid this one would be a little too stupid, and it kinda was at first, but overall, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

The main character starts as a self-absorbed, entitled rich brat who gets sent to an outdoors program for troubled teens. All the cartoonish antics you would expect ensue.

But, almost imperceptibly, she starts to change. She starts to grow. She develops capabilities and the beginnings of character.

By the end, I really lik
Thebrunettebear
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5
This was a great plane read! The story is very entertaining even though you kind of hate Lizzie a little bit. She is a bit snobby but that is the point. However, despite her snobby ways she is still has a good heart. I found all the characters at the camp to be very interesting and realistic. I love Sam and Chandra. Ari was a bit obnoxious. I also really liked the romance and how that slowly happened. It was very sweet. I didn’t really like all the abbreviations or text talk (like BRB) used j
Victoria Hawks
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
*2.5
I felt like I was watching a movie like legally blonde or something. The difference is I LOVE legally blonde, this was just eeeh for me. It didn't have the depth I wish it did. I felt it all over the place as well. A lot of things not talked about or covered. It was entertaining but I just didn't like it as much as it should have been. The author felt like she was trying TOO hard to sound like a teenager. It was weird and just didn't sound right.
Debra
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute book, maybe I expected too much but I really liked the blurb about a teen living in Manhattan from a dysfunctional being sent to a survival camp for troubled teenagers. And the first page of the book was so funny, a New York hospital report that synced it for me.

What I liked: - the camping experience.

What I didn't like: - the problems that led to Lizzie being arrested and her relationship with her best friend.
Mak’s Reads
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
This book is a book about a stereotypical blonde teenage heiress. I’m a blonde myself and I love blonde jokes. And this book is one giant blond joke. I find it very funny and entertaining. But the book also has some great morals behind it. You don’t realize it with all the jokes going on, but the morals in the story are very good and very applicable to daily life.

I highly recommend reading this book for the jokes and the lesson behind it.
Autumn Buikema
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the change of events in this story. It starts off focusing on a character who is snotty and all about herself and her money. When she gets sent to camp, she rebels and tries to find ways out o fit. By the end of the camp, however, she learns how to be a better person. I loved reading and seeing her change throughout the book.
Reader
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet!

This is amazingly sweet, and hilarious, and SO SO SWEET!! Also giving some good advice for problems not in the book. Funny, too, if you didn't get that from the raccoon on the cover
McKenzi
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I really enjoyed this book. I could relate to the emotions Lizzie was feeling and couldn’t help but be angry when she was, feel sad when she was or feel happy when she was. This book made me feel and I enjoyed.
Rose
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really liked this one. I saw personal growth in the main character--a rarity that I see anymore--and a change of heart/thought process. My only gripe is the 2k17 writing style, but it fits the main character's personality so I cannot complain too much.
Storm Ewing
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good easy read. The plot is very relatable. I wish the ending had given you a bit more after her camp life, but besides that it’s a great summer book to just read on the beach in a day!
Stephanie Dolce
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This books started out awesome but it was a drag to continue to read it. The author dragged out the escape from the camp that the main character was sent too and I thought the idea of a camp was ridiculous- I would have rather seen her sent to military school which is more believable.
Lauren
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book-It never made me bored. I usually have trouble finding books that I will read, and stay reading. I'd recommend this to teens, more than children, because it has adult humor, and cursing. I'd give this book a five-star, It is one of my favorite books of all time.
Mirna
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious to read. It had me laughing from the first page to the last. It reminds me a lot of teen movie classics like clueless and mean girls, it's funny, and entertaining, but the meaning is also deep and heart warming. I definitely recommend it!
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
This book had a cute meaning. Deffinitely more of a teenager book. It does have some decisions and suggestions that would need to be considered. Its for a mature teenager.
Silverscarf
3.75 Stars.

Ah the things you buy when they're on sale in Barnes and Noble...
You know those books that you read and enjoy, but then when you're done you know you probably wouldn't give it to other people, and probably won't read it again? Well this was kinda one of those for me. I bought it on impulse because it was on sale and it looked funny. And it was really funny, normally I'm not usually interested in these types of books or movies, the sort of raunchy teen comedies. But this still managed
Lily Cooper
I don't know what I would do if my parents sent me to camp against my will; let alone one that makes you hike ten miles in a day for fun. I can barely do ten push ups without being winded. So when I cracked open the book and was transported into the world of Lizzie Finkelstein, I could relate a little with her.

She hates outdoors, loves shopping, fashion know-it-all, and generally a nice person (most of the time). Though she does have a lot to work on: Rude, harsh, spoiled, manipulative... to na
Melina Elisa
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was something on a much lighter note after finishing the Natural’s series! So I never really do this, but I did some research on this book. I actually found out that this was supposed to be a movie in the early 2000’s, but it didn’t end up happening so they turned the screenplay into a book. Supposedly Hilary Duff was supposed to play the role of the main character?

The whole thing made a lot of sense, because I can truly see this book being a cheesy teen movie made around that time per

• Kill the Boy Band
  • Lore Olympus, Season 1
  • With Malice
  • Freaking Romance
  • The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything, #1)
  • Old Idaho Penitentiary (Images of America: Idaho)
  • Overdrive
  • Haunted (The Mediator, #5)
  • What You Hide
  • Conjure Women
  • Someone Like You
  • Freshers
  • All of Me (The Montgomery Brothers, #1-3.5)
  • The Nerdy and the Dirty
  • The Walled City
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Lean on Me (Family Is Forever, #1)
  • Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)