Start by marking “The House at the Edge of Night” as Want to Read:
The House at the Edge of Night

The House at the Edge of Night

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  7,507 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews
A sweeping saga about four generations of a family who live and love on an enchanting Mediterranean island off the coast of Italy—combining the romance of Beautiful Ruins with the magical tapestry works of Isabel Allende.

Castellamare is an island far enough away from the mainland to be forgotten, but not far enough to escape from the world’s troubles. At the center of th
Published May 19th 2016 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about The House at the Edge of Night, please sign up.
Yulia As Robert said, he wrote those letters but could not send them being in the hospital. So he asked a woman who was caring of him in the hospital to…moreAs Robert said, he wrote those letters but could not send them being in the hospital. So he asked a woman who was caring of him in the hospital to send them, but she did not. After he explained, that it seemed that that lady was in love with him and wanted him to stay with her.
This is my understanding of the letters not being delivered.(less)

·  7,507 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews

Angela M
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about this book from the first to the last page. It's not mind bending, earth shattering, or gut wrenching, and I didn't walk away with any big message . It is however , an engaging multigenerational family saga spanning almost a century and I found that I didn't want to put it down. There was not one minute that I wasn't interested in Amedeo Esposito , his family and their life on Castellamare , a five mile island off the coast of Sicily, so small that your neighbors know thi ...more
Jen
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love stories within stories - stacked inside each other reminds me of those Russian dolls and how they all fit together. This is such a story.
In the Mediterranean, between Africa and Sicily, lies the small island of Castellamare. A remote place where it is said to have had weeping curse put on it from centuries past.
This is a sweeping saga of 4 generations of a family, the Espositos. The secrets, the relationships, the flawed characters and the links that brought them together as well as sepa
PorshaJo
I loved this book. I loved the beautiful cover which initially drew me to this book. I loved the story, the sweeping saga over many generations of the Esposito family. I loved the audio narration, Edoardo Ballerini is an amazing narrator and he adds so much to the story. I loved the House at the Edge of Night, surrounded in bougainvillea. I want to go there, sit in the cafe, and drink limoncello.

The House at the Edge of Night is a magical story told over many, many years about a small island cal
Diane S ☔
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time there was an enchanted island, called Castellamare, located off the coast of Sicily. Within the island was an enchanted place, a home but also a meeting, eating and drinking place for the islanders, call the House at the edge of night. The island people worshipped their patron saint, Santa' Agata and on her name day celebrated with parades and great feasts. Families lived on this island for generations and many of them we as a reader are fortunate to meet. It begins with the arr ...more
Julie
The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner is a 2016 Random House publication.

This book came highly recommended by several of my Goodreads friends who described the book as a family saga, so I knew I had to check it out.

This story is centered around the Esposito family living on the island of Castellamare in Italy. The island is remote, but has its own fiefdoms, power struggles, and is fraught with personal family dramas and scandals.

Beginning with Amedeo Esposito, who arrives on the
Linda
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, fiction
I received a copy of The House at the Edge of Night through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Random House Publishing and to Catherine Banner for the opportunity.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we wish to lay with elbows bent in front of a fire encased in the warmth of a sage storyteller who leans mind-to-mind into our cozy space. Because, dear reader, it is all in those simple words.

Catherine Banner presents a story set in the Mediterranean island of Castellamare. The ancient isle is surr
Esil
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I loved reading The House at the Edge of Night. It's not great literature or particularly deep, but it was a lovely absorbing story. Spanning the 20th century and early 21st century and 4 generations, it focuses on a few characters on a small island at the very southern tip of Italy. They go through world events, but with the buffering that necessarily comes from being part of a tight knit community on an island. Old tensions fester and pass through the generations. New generations try to change ...more
Dem
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a beautiful Reading Experience........ an enchanting and sweeping story set over four generations. Sometimes a book just needs to tell a story and that is exactly what The House At The Edge Of Night does.

I love books set on Islands and Catherine Banner's story set on the tiny, idyllic island of Castellamare is beautifully written with an extremely likable cast of characters that stay with you long after you have turned the last page.

This is a quite novel, no major dramas or twists or turns
Karen
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this novel of four generations of a family on a Mediterranean island off the coast of Italy, starting with Amedeo a foundling from Florence who arrived here as a doctor for the island. He with his book of stories spanning many years, along with his personal indiscretion and what became of it for his family. I just loved the story and reading about the island life and their house and bar named " The Island at the Edge of Night.
Victoria
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sparkling Sicilian Saga…

Her life seemed to her an odd thing, a thing that had dragged all the time when happiness still seemed far off…and at last, when happiness had been afforded her, seemed to have rushed over at a breathless speed, leaving no room for thought.

Good old-fashioned storytelling, vivid characters and lyrical prose, I was swept away by this book to another shore, another time. While a story set on a small island off the coast of Sicily with only its small cast of inhabitants could
Dianne
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a real "fishes and loaves" book for me. No matter how much I read, when I went to pick it up again it seemed like there was still infinity pages to go! The book that kept on giving, even when I didn't want it to.

The multi-generational saga follows a young doctor who settles on a remote island off the coast of Sicily called Castellamare. The doctor falls in love with the island and its inhabitants and marries a local widow. Their tale leads to their daughter's tale, to her son's tale, to
Margitte
From the blurb:
Louis de Bernières (Captain Corelli's Mandolin), Elena Ferrante (The Neapolitan Novels - series), Isabelle Allende (Eva Luna, The House of the Spirits): they all have some things in common - atmosphere, magic realism, and authentic tales.

The House at the Edge of
Lori
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was so good in so many ways, but what I loved most was the pure and simple way it was told. The story wraps you up like a warm embrace. You can't read this without falling in love with Castellamare, the Esposito family, and the quirky islanders. A wonderful family saga that really captures the art of storytelling. 4.5 stars.
Aditi
“The island is ours. Here, in some way, we are young forever.”

----E. Lockhart

Catherine Banner, an English author, pens a breathtaking yet poignant tale about an Italian family saga spun over a century and through three generations in an unknown island in her debut book, The House at the Edge of Night that revolves around the life of a doctor who after completing his studies in Florence, travels off to an Italian island, where he sets up his practice and eventually he also grows his own family
PattyMacDotComma
A leisurely story of a tiny, enchanting isle and the people it has captivated for centuries. I won’t attempt to summarise much, just give examples of the style and the writing.

In Florence, sometime at the end of the 19th century, a baby boy is passed through the window of the foundling hospital, as were a third of all children born then in Florence. What a startling bit of information that is!

Amedeo is eventually fostered by a kindly bachelor doctor, and he grows up to be a doctor himself, st
Laysee
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laysee by: Angela M
The book title, The House at the Edge of Night, has a magical ring to it. In my mind’s eye, I pictured a mountain hut (rifugio) poised as a beacon of light in a dark, cheerless place. Now that I have read this novel, I realized I was not too far off the mark.

The House at the Edge of Night is an island bar owned by three generations of the Esposito family on the island of Castellamare, off the coast of Sicily. “The Island was a low and brooding thing on the horizon, no more than a rock on the wa
Renata
Grazie Mille to my GR friends for their inviting reviews of this magnificently enjoyable novel. It completely fulfilled my need for a heartwarming story that would allow me to escape for a while into another time and place.
It also happened to be one of the richest narrations I’ve yet to listen to. Eduardo Bollani’s Italian voice added just the right nuances to bring out the magic of the setting, the very small island of Castlemare not far from Sicily.
Other reviewers and the Book Description
☮Karen
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some will think me odd, but this is my favorite book cover this year! I think it's just gorgeous.

It turned out to be quite an enjoyable saga, and kudos to the audio narrator for making it so. Eduardo Ballerini's pacing and inflections often reminded me of Louise Penny's expert reader, the late Ralph Cosham, but with the occasional Italiano thrown in instead of French. So it made me want to sit back in a comfy chair with some vino or Limoncello and just enjoy.

This is the story of five generations
Paula Kalin
What a beautiful cover!

Many GR friends loved this book, but unfortunately it wasn’t my type of book.

3 out of 5 stars
DeB MaRtEnS
Amedeo Esposito, a giant of a man and a foundling mentored by a doctor in Florence, becomes a physician himself and eventually, finally finds a permanent job in southern Italy on the small island of Castellamare. He makes indiscreet choices, marries, has children and becomes part of the fabric of the closely knit community by restoring the old bar, and opening it for business in The House at the Edge of the Night.

Interspersed between sections are old Italian folk tales, some macabre and some fa
Dana
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The House at the Edge of Night is the perfect, dreamlike, summer book to read while sipping a limoncello! This Italian saga – covering four generations - is filled with great storytelling, magical realism, folklore, passion and family drama.

*side note ~ I loved the folksy cover...which has been discussed by many. :)
Nancy
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was pure pleasure for me. I was captivated enough by the story that I devoured it in one sitting (which means that I stayed up entirely too late into the wee small hours to finish it). The writing is beautiful and descriptive enough that I could picture everything in my head.

It is the story of a family on a small island, Castellamare, in the Mediterranean near Sicily. It spans four generations of the Esposito family and the time period from before World War I through modern tim
Jeannie
I want to go to Castellamare. I want to sit on the terrace at The House at the Edge of Night surrounded by bougainvilleas, visit with Maria-Grazia (she seems like an old friend now) and drink limoncello while gazing out at the sea.

What a great story, filled with great characters! I loved every minute of this book. I'm sad that it's over.

Highly recommend!
Terri Wino
I won a copy of this book from Random House through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to both.

This is a family saga that spans several generations of the Esposito family.

I'm just going to cut to the chase here and say that while it was an interesting story, I found my attention wandering a lot and was bored several times throughout the book.

For me, I felt like the author tried to cover so much territory through the generations that I never really made a solid connection with any of the characters
Jeanette
This was a case of my knowing WAY too much about the place and not being able to connect with this islander Sicilians saga. I can understand completely how others got more of the magic and less of the improbable as I did and gave this a 4 star rating. Because some of the characters were drawn well and are of the type to remain in memory beyond just the book ending. Especially our original protagonist, the orphan from Florence.

Here, and I tend to sound like a revolving 45 disc (if you know what
Sonja Arlow
Every time a book blurb compares a new writer to a more established one like Isabel Allende I cringe a little, why put all that pressure on a debut novel that can very possibly stand on its own legs.

But in this case, I must agree, the writing was very reminiscent of Isabel Allende minus the magical realism.

Beautifully descriptive and atmospheric, I could smell the profusion of flowers at the Sant’Agata festival, could taste the limoncello that everyone was drinking. So much life contained in ju
Paul Lockman
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an impressive debut novel. Charming, endearing, delightful are words that spring to mind. Catherine Banner has written an engaging book about life on a small island off the coast of Sicily. It largely centres around the Esposito family and spans four generations of the family throughout the 20th and early 21st centuries and the author weaves in some great myths and storytelling amongst all the family dramas and dynamics. We also get to know many of the other characters on the island, the po ...more
Sharon Metcalf
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
Author Annie Proulx is quoted as saying "Story comes from place”.     In  "The House At The Edge Of Night" Catherine Banner mastered this element superbly and the story she delivered was wonderful as a result.   Both the tiny but beautiful island of Castellamare near Sicily,  and the ‘Casa al Bordo della Notte’, (translated as the House at the Edge of Night) feel as familiar to me as home.   All my senses were engaged by her writing and I can still visualise the landscape, the 5 mile coastline, ...more
Marilyn C.
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5 Stars
Tammy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable, richly told story of 3 generations of a family in Sicily. I can't think of anything I didn't like...it is just beautiful.

• Peace Lily (The Katherine Wheel, #2)
  • Be Ready for the Lightning
  • Harriet Wolf's Seventh Book of Wonders
  • The Life of Rebecca Jones
  • Lowcountry Spirit
  • Gloryland
Catherine Banner was born in Cambridge, UK, in 1989 and began writing at the age of fourteen. She studied English at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, before moving to County Durham where she worked as a secondary school teacher. She has published a trilogy of young adult novels, The Last Descendants.

Her debut adult novel, The House at the Edge of Night, tells the story of the 2008 financial crisis
“We’ve all lost people, you know,” she said, slightly scoldingly, when Amedeo wept.” 0 likes
“What was it they wanted from her, they with their shames furled within them, their guilty eyes, piling upon her these troubles” 0 likes