Start by marking “Drifters' Alliance, Book 1 (Drifters' Alliance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Drifters' Alliance, Book 1 (Drifters' Alliance, #1)

Drifters' Alliance, Book 1

(Drifters' Alliance #1)

**DRIFTERS' ALLIANCE is a Science Fiction Space Opera series of at least 3 books. If my readers love it, I'll write more!**

NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR, ELLE CASEY, brings readers Book 1 of DRIFTERS' ALLIANCE, an ongoing Science Fiction Space Opera series.

One hand of cards and it's all over but the crying...

Cass Kennedy finally gets what she's been drea
Published June 1st 2015 by Elle Casey

Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Drifters' Alliance, Book 1
By: Elle Casey
Narrated by: Elizabeth Phillips
This is an interesting audible book about a 19 year old gal that wins a space ship in a card game. It is a fun read. She finds allies and enemies. It has good characters and fair plot. I might continue this series to see where it goes.
The narrator was good. I think she added to the story.

Evie
Sep 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I got literally 4% in when I had the "uh, here we f'n go again" reaction. I was looking forward to this b/c I LOVE space operas! But when I got to the point where the FMC was *gasp* betting her oh so precious and archaic virginity I said no way. Not this shit again. Listen - virginity is not precious! It's the difference between ignorance and experience (Voltaire). Stop putting a price tag on a non existent skin tag. Seriously, has no one read a medical book ever? There is no "woman's shield" or ...more
Tina
Omg this was like an episode of firefly! Soooo awesome but I wanted some romance even though more teen and hinted at with possibly beltz, Jacov, or overshine. Hmm wonder where or if will be one of them?

D.A. Bale
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through a game of chance, Cass Kennedy has done the impossible - become captain of her very own drifter ship at the ripe age of nineteen. Now she can explore the far reaches of dark space with her crew and escape farther from the clutches of the OSG - and her father, a major general of the Omega Systems Group elite command.

But the title of captain comes with its own set of challenges - and mutiny doesn't just happen on the Bounty. Throw in a questionable stowaway, and Cass' maiden voyage at the
Kris
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Same shit different day.

A woman claws her way to a position of power not by virtue of her intelligence, merit, or skill, but rather by luck, her feminine wiles, and/or her scrappy ability to cheat the system.

Once there she's only able to maintain her hold using violence and then of course needs a big strong guy to come man-splain everything and validate her decisions, all while objectifying her with zero subtlety as nothing more than a sex object - which she accepts as par for the course becau
Robin Clemons
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

Cass is a very likable person just trying to survive in a field that is not usually open to females. The background she offers is enough to make her crew want to give her the benefit of being there to back her up in a sticky situation. A great read and I can't wait to read the next books in the series.
Éric Kasprak
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smooth as butter... This is my first time reading a book by Elle Casey (her first sci-fi) and I can assure you it won't be the last. I love the sci-fi adventure genre (call it space opera if you will) and Drifters Alliance is a superb example of it. The story itself is a straightforward, fun and exciting one, but it is the absolute smoothness of the writing that brings it to greatness. The story of Cass and her crew/friends flows so effortlessly that the books literally reads itself. Ms. Casey h ...more
Bako Oganyan
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good start to new series

The first novel is rather short, and could have comfortably been another 150 pages or so.

Good:
*Author knows her technology fairly well and doesn't get too technical
*Characters all have a unique personality and the protagonist is very likeable. Cass is human and flawed, but also honorable and strong
*Interesting factions
*Author writes very feminine and enjoyable female characters who are not idealized, and doesn't fall into the trap of trying to make them into males that m
Ken Kennedy
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Drifter's Alliance is very different than Elle Casey's other work, but it is still just as amazing! Elle has a talent for making the characters come alive. Each of her characters have their own personality and niche within the story. I love Captain Cass. She is tough but at the same time she is a typical teen girl who sometimes lacks confidence in her abilities. The description of the ship in this story is very vivid and lets you "see" the DS Anarchy. I can't wait for the next book in this serie ...more
Jonathan
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun! While there is a slight Firefly flavor to this novel, it is not intrusive and does not distract from a distinctly unique story.
I insist on characters that have enough depth to understand them and Casey does not fail. Even the most incidental characters have a backstory that makes them more credible.
The plot has plenty of twists and turns and is never predictable.
I have now read the second and third books (a cliffhanger :( .... ) and am waiting on the next to find out what happens.
Most defi
Ambrosia
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting space opera. It reminds me a bit of Firefly the TV show, but without the witty banter. (Firefly should never have been cancelled, dang it. The movie just wasn't as good. Too depressing.).

I'd give the subsequent books a try, but I understand that they are relatively short and end on cliffhanger, and book 4 hasn't come out yet. Maybe I'll consider continuing of there's evidence the author hadn't deserted the series.
Dani
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Elle Casey has a certain simplicity in writing style but I enjoy her books because of the plot lines. I find myself drawn in even as I have misgivings about the characters or the prose. My only issue was the whole precious virginity thing. Let's take it down a notch there, Mary. Pushing this idea that the only valuable female is an untarnished, virgin female onto young readers is simply unacceptable in this day and age.
bluefiresummer
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Draws You In Instantly

The plot moves along quickly with character introduction being seam less. Having a main character that rebels against her up bringing to forge ahead and break barriers that normally exist because of her age, family status and gender is inspiring in this new SciFi series.
Doug Hoffman
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great space adventure

A very good, character driven space adventure. The main character is a young woman with a complex and mysterious past that is slowly revealed as the story unfolds. Looking forward to future adventures.
Sarah Creekmore
Great start

Heroine is likable and fun, characters are quirky and surprising, and a fun concept. Only complaint is that it's a hair short. ;) Looking forward to reading the next one!
Mark Prohaska
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Elle Casey is a gifted writer. This book is riveting and light hearted even in the midst of dramatic action. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series and other books by Elle Casey.
S.J. Higbee
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book plunges straight into a card game with the highest stakes – a nineteen-year-old girl betting her virginity against a ship. I’m not giving too much away when I reveal that she wins. And thus starts this space opera adventure, full of action and excitement as Cass gets to grips with her unusual crew, the quirks of an elderly ship not in the best condition and a very angry ex-captain, intent on retrieving his ship.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Cass makes an engaging protagonist and whi
Leah
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
In a nutshell, this was a train wreck.

There were no pros.

The list of cons is extensive:

*"Bitchy" is not a valid adjective. Even if it were, using it 18 times in six chapters is not acceptable. Get a thesaurus.
*Overshine: what kind of name is that?!
*The whole attempt at sexual tension was a total and complete failure.
*Bad guys are super lame, and not fleshed out enough to be compelling.
*The world is weak.
*The main character is even weaker; her constant swearing, probably included to make her sou
Vincent P
I'm torn between two minds with this book.
I'm a big sci-fi fan and the story itself did have me turning each page to finish it, it has potential.

Buuuuuut, there was also so much that had me cringing or just thinking WTF?

For example, referring to a character as "Slant-eyed" was just cringe-worthy. Any non-Asian won't think much about it, but I can tell you any Asian reading that is like "WTF is this crap!!!"

While I like the spunk of the main character Cass, it just seems kind of cliche - the angr
Billie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a slow start to what could be a good series.

The book starts out in a weird super childish way by the protag bets her virginity to win a ship. I mean call me crazy but who would gamble an entire ship with crew on having sex with a random person once? Also who cares about virginity, really.

Anyway once we're past that bit the story starts unfolding in a pretty standard, YA young captain sort of way. The protag seems to go out of her way in order to make herself unlikable, by threatening p
Liz Etnyre
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This reads like the novelization of an episodic space-opera TV show. I like it, but after 3 volumes, we don't seem to have gotten very far... That said, it IS a fun ride! The author borrows liberally from a number of predecessors: I recognize Cas and Pol Stone, Shepherd Book, and a few others from my various fandoms - and I rather like them all here together (Firefly themes/memes feature heavy, but that's OK, too.) All that said, IF you are going to keep giving me cliffhangers, you need to write ...more
Chiyaa Pasal
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a light, quick read. Nothing deep but not bad. It did what I was expecting and was wanting at the time (light, fun filler in between more substantial reads).There were a few eye rolling moments; one at the beginning was particularly irksome and almost made me give up. Despite that, it wasn’t bad. I won’t be rushing out for the others in the series but, at the same time, I wouldn’t avoid them.
Victor Nolasco
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Character Driven Sci Fi

Good start to a sci-fi book. Class is a strong lead character with many secrets and a difficult past. Running a ship with no experience is learning experience. But she has training in other areas and this helps her get survive. Enjoyed the set up in the first book. Now the adventure begins with the books that follow.
Rick Lacy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely delightful!

It is rare for me to be excited with a new series before I finish the first volhme. But this one has me after the first page. A quirky,sassy, kick-ass heroine with all the chutzpah any action hero lover needs. I bought the rest of the series even before leaving this review. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.
Stuart Roth
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
I wanted to like this book but Cass became boring very quickly. She ultimately has only two reactions:

1. Make stabbing threats
2. Make stabbing threats internally

The universe itself was interesting enough. Many sci-fi books feel flat but this actually felt more fleshed out than most. If it wasn't for the protagonist's "Postman" tendencies I would have enjoyed it.
Bruce
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
An interesting action novel about a girl running from her abusive father. The intelligent young woman wins a spaceship in one hand of a card game. Having played a lot of simulations she is a little cocky but also concerned at times. The ship is not like what she had hoped and she encounters situations that try her patience.
BD W
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love ms Casey to bits

I will admit I like more of the adult romance feel in my books, but that aside I love Elle Casey and her writing so much more. The only thing I feel this book is missing is length. If I'm paying for a book more than 190 pages, or even 250, is needed. But again, I feel the author and story is worth it.
Jerri
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-shelf, sci-fi
Okay read. Not much character development. Not much happens other than winning the ship and collecting the crew. I guess the thinking is this is enough for a first book in a series. I would have liked more and doubt I'll pick up #2.
William Breckenridge
Excited

Why 5 stars?, because there isn't 6.
I haven't been this excited about getting the next book in a series since reading the Ringworld.
The author pulled me into the story and never let go.
Billy Young
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young woman wins her dream at the card table, a spaceship. And so begins the adventure. The only problem for me was that the tale was a little on the short side but it was a great start to the series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Door: Part One
  • Dawn of Destiny (Epic, #1)
  • Silver Tongued Devils
  • Sky Hunter (The Targon Tales #0.5)
  • Legends (Freedom, #1)
  • Fly You To The Moon (Stardust Erotic Romance Series #1)
  • Walker
  • Prepared to Please (Cyber Sex, #1)
  • Witches (The Cross-Worlds Coven Series, #1)
  • Axen (Vortex Alien Warriors, #1)
  • Stranded With The Alien Assassin (Celestial Mates, #3)
  • Nordic Nights (Alix Thorssen Mystery, #3)
  • Quartz (Galaxy Playmates #2)
  • Bewitched
  • Sky Raiders (Sky Raiders, #1)
  • The Wizard from Earth (The Star Wizards Trilogy, #1)
  • The Nano Experiment
  • Artificial Absolutes (Jane Colt, #1)
Elle Casey, a former attorney and teacher, is a NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY bestselling American author who lives in France with her husband, the youngest of her three kids, and several horses, dogs, and cats. She has written more than 40 novels in less than 5 years and likes to say she offers fiction in several flavors. These flavors include romance, science fiction, urban fantasy, action advent ...more

Drifters' Alliance (3 books)
  • Drifters' Alliance, Book 2 (Drifters' Alliance, #2)
  • Drifters' Alliance, Book 3 (Drifters' Alliance, #3)
“That’s how it works. You snake on a deal, you get fanged.” 3 likes