Start by marking “Effective Devops: Building a Culture of Collaboration, Affinity, and Tooling at Scale” as Want to Read:

This practical guide addresses technical, cultural, and managerial challenges of implementing and maintaining a DevOps culture by describing failures and successes. Authors Katherine Daniels and Jennifer Davis provide with actionable strategies you can use to engineer sustainable changes in your environment regardless of your level within your organization.
Published May 2015 by O'Reilly

To ask other readers questions about Effective Devops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effective Devops

Start your review of Effective Devops: Building a Culture of Collaboration, Affinity, and Tooling at Scale
Yevgeniy Brikman
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book has two problems: first, they don't define DevOps; second, they don't define the target audience. As a result, while the book contains a lot of interesting content, it's arranged in a way that makes it very difficult to learn.

Now, you might argue, "but wait, they do define DevOps, right in Part 1!" OK, let's look at their official definition:

"Devops is a cultural movement that changes how individuals think about their work, values the diversity of work done, supports intentional proces
Terry
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Decent book. Think some folks were put off by many of the "soft skill" items mentioned at the beginning of the book instead of the presumptive battery of tools to "Do Devops" they may have expected. Common sense is not common, so I think many of the recommendations about inclusivity, diversity, and analyzing team makeup, to me seemed like "Duh" but felt that these sorts of discussions are needed because oftentimes people *dont* get it. The valley is the valley for a reason so I feel like the boo ...more
Philip Hollenback
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, computer
Full disclosure: i'm a personal friend of the author.

This book is an excellent read for anyone who wants to learn more about devops and about how to improve computer operations in general.

One important thing this book really emphasizes is how important it is to create an inclusive workplace. As a white male, it`s easy for me to assume that there isn't discrimination in the tech world.

My one complaint is that this book concentrates a bit too heavily on Chef, however that is probably understandabl
YaMan
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some of the observations were spot on and show me new way of understanding things that are going on at our company. The stories helped to explain presented ideas. I would maybe enjoy it even more if it was shorter :-D probably due to parts that i didn't find so interesting. Overall I'm happy that I came across it and would recommend it to everyone working in IT. ...more
Liamarcia Bifano
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book draws a clear line between what is tooling / processes and what is actually devops culture.
It makes you think about the usefulness and goals of processes and tools to build a devops culture rather than just throw a bunch of buzzle words about devops world. Sometimes it is easy get lost in this sea of new/crazy methodologies and forget why we do things and its essence.

It also addresses the affects and consequences that a blameful culture will cause and how avoid this kind of situation. B
Iuliana Ciura
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on how to build a inclusive culture adapted to the pressure of devops work.
Michael
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Focusing on the Culture of DevOps, Effective DevOps is a welcome addition to the literature on modern software development practice. It is a rare book in the field that begins with people and process, then moves to technology. The co-authors have anchored considerations of effectiveness in a broader social science perspective that I found very compelling. Recognizing that there is much new in the DevOps movement, they also place the movement in the broader context of software history. Everything ...more
Razvan
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
After first 100 pages I already want to throw it away. It mentions so often the word bias I started to have a bias for this word. Fortunately, it has also good advices. I will keep reading it, but for the moment just 2* for repeting to every few pages about the rasial/sexual problems of some people.
Mark Honomichl
Jul 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
It took me a while to get through this book. Rather than laying out some good information on how to effectively build out a Devops organization, it seemed to be more like the annual workplace sensitivity training that one takes at most large organizations.
Sebastiaan Bekker
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good and broad primer for anyone wanting to start. Wide array of topics that are important for a successful implementation.
Tomasz Gawlik
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Seems like the books has a few points and ideas which are being covered over and over again.
Brian Palmer
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The subtitle ("Building a culture of collaboration, affinity, and tooling at scale") is important here, because the book spends a lot more time there than on what I was expecting. Automation is briefly discussed,and even scaling is almost all about scaling hiring practices and team growth rather than technical scaling. It doesn't even spend much time on the portmanteau's "development" vs "operation," preferring to generalize to multiple teams collaborating. The book ends up wandering quite a bit ...more
Dejan Vukmirovic
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This book covers a relevant topic from IT industry and in a very detailed way. The "problem" I had while reading was the feeling of "running in circles" and reading the same topics all over. The need to highlight particular themes is valid, but I simply didn't like the repetition.

In general book is a great starting point for newcomers to the industry, engineers transitioning to the leadership/managerial roles, or similar. For someone who is long in this field it really looks like it doesn't hav
Vitaly
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
A more correct title would be "Effective Operations and Organisational Culture", as the book, being well written, tries to touch upon all aspects of company's operations, people collaboration, and so on. Probably a good read for managers, but most likely they read 80% of it somewhere else already, and the other 20% is an overview of DevOps as a culture, and potential issues and perks that come with it. That 80/20 ratio between non-devops/devops topics is why the book feels bloated (at 410 pages! ...more
Gianluca Fiore
I admit skipping large parts of the book. It is in serious need of good editing: many repeated concepts, many chapters where the message could be communicated in a couple of phrases go on for 3 pages.

It's definitely not a technical book and the intended audience is managers. If you aren't one and are looking for technical or practical informations on DevOps, look elsewhere. And actually, just read something else as this is simply a too long of a book for the amount of useful info it provides.
Miguel
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A great introductory book on devops (note the capitalisation) and what it stands for as a culture. If you're looking for a technical book this is not it.
I believe labeling this a IT manager handbook would have been more apt. It delves deep into real cultural policies and it's impact on your organization
Stojancho Jefremov
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
It is not technical at all, but there are good parts about the importance of the company culture and values for its success. Also fostering empathy, affinity, reasonable decision making in the opposite of "we have always done it that way" and how these things alongside people relations are equally important as technical things because software is created by people and for people. ...more
Janet
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not really what I expected. I was looking for guidance on changing company culture and persuading leaders to embrace the efficiencies.
Pretty good, as far as It goes. Doesn't deliver the information I looked for.
The Viet Nguyen
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book about building DevOps culture. However, it does not mention very much about the technical aspects of DevOps.
Thomas
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is not a technical book at all, but rather a guide for building well-functioning teams and company cultures that encourage inter-team collaboration. Rarely gives specific recommendations on tooling, but rather how to choose the tools that are right for your team.
Dushan Hanuska
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I will be recommending it to several people in our organization.
I picked up this book assuming that it would a technical book, perhaps more focused on tools and automation of build and deployment processes. I was wrong and pleasantly surprised.
This book is full of great insights into how teams and individuals work and the culture of collaboration. It’s a “compulsory reading” if you are serious about devops and changing the way organizations work.
Don't say you are doing devops until y
Donn Lee
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not start out liking this book. I spent half the book thinking about what "DevOps" was, hoping that a definition of some sort would show itself. It didn't.

But over the course of reading it, I sort of gathered what DevOps was about, and the mental representation of "DevOps" that I developed suddenly made everything else make sense.

Being the manager of an analytics team, which deals a lot with people and technology, I found this book insightful, useful, and applicable. The team management ("
Jeanne Boyarsky
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first thing to note is that the full title of this book is "Effective DevOps: Building a Culture of Collaboration, Affinity, and Tooling at Scale ". It covers many aspects of dev ops; not just the tooling ones that us developers like to read about it. This is good because all the aspects are important. The book really lays upon you the idea that DevOps is about culture. If you don't come away from the book thinking about the non tooling aspects of DevOps, I'd be surprised.

There are 6 parts t
Christopher
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devops
I found this to be one of the best tech books I've ever read. The culture chapters are fascinating and would have been worthy of a book on their own. If you are in IT, I can't recommend this book highly enough. ...more
Doug
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: it-devops
As a lead operations engineer and former IT manager, I was looking forward to this book to see how we could implement devops, or at least improve the working relationship between our operations team and developers. Finally a book that was about operations in "normal" companies and not Google.

Unfortunately what I found here was a lot of ideas crammed together in a seemingly haphazard way without much actionable information. Yes, the ideas are good and may challenge your status quo, but chapters l
Jon
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A worthwhile read overall, mostly concrete and applicable. I would have liked a little bit more on tools, not in the "recommended tools" sense that the authors rightly eschew, but examples of specific tools and how to apply them, just to be concrete. I greatly appreciated the hard-nosed, scientific, and specific treatment of "soft skills", with citations. Often these skills are reduced to froo-froo handwaving, even for people who claim to value them, and I applaud standing up for teachable, lear ...more
Manu Hortet
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you dislike this read because the attention it pays to the so-called soft skills, you're probably missing the whole point. The term DevOps is treated, explained and analyzed as a cultural evolution of individual good practices to maintain an agile and sustainable work environment. This culture-focused understanding of the term is way more realistic and functional. Concise but detailed read, greatly explanatory and revealing.

Btw, It's fantastic to read all those female historical references.
huydx
Jul 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is a decent book. I know some details were intentionally made vague by author, but it was just a list of known problems without enough examples or solutions. I was expected that this book at least show me much more both success and failed examples of listed cases.
Charles Baker
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Much heavier on culture, communication, people & process than tools. However, if you get those right the tools almost don't matter. ...more
Tim Dugan
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's my fault for not paying attention to the full title

But this was all fluff and no real content

• The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Site Reliability Workbook: Practical Ways to Implement SRE
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Learning Agile: Understanding Scrum, XP, Lean, and Kanban
  • The Introvert's Edge: How the Quiet and Shy Can Outsell Anyone
  • Cloud Native Infrastructure: Patterns for Scalable Infrastructure and Applications in a Dynamic Environment
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Infrastructure as Code: Managing Servers in the Cloud
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Blood and Oil: Mohammed bin Salman's Ruthless Quest for Global Power

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Another way in which values can be expressed is in how different teams are treated throughout the organization. As also mentioned in Part III, it is common in startups for engineering teams, especially web and mobile development ones, to be valued more than other, nonengineering teams. While this usually is not explicitly stated, it becomes apparent through behaviors such as allowing more flexible schedules or remote opportunities for engineers; giving them a higher budget for swag, training, and travel; and giving them more recognition for their accomplishments.” 0 likes
“Another harmful myth is “I’m not technical.” In an industry that increasingly glorifies engineers, people in disciplines outside of engineering can stop believing in the value of their own skills and discount their contributions in the workplace. Engineers should not be put on pedestals at the expense of other employees, as it takes more than just engineering skills to grow and maintain a successful business.” 0 likes