Start by marking “Unbalanced” as Want to Read:
Unbalanced

Unbalanced

Four sisters, one destiny.

Every generation four sisters with power over earth, air, fire, and water are born to fight against a fanatical, secret faith. The Order exists only to sacrifice the sisters for their power. With each success their strength and control grows. They have never failed, for their rule depends on it.

The sisters, separated at birth, are unaware of what
Published June 1st 2015 by Champagne Books

To ask other readers questions about Unbalanced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbalanced

Jessica Smith
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can find this review and all of my others over at www.readbookrepeat.wordpress.com

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, BooksGoSocial, and the author via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating of 3.5

There is always four. One for each element of Fire, Water, Earth and Air. Each time the sisters are born, they are tracked and killed. Sometimes as babies, sometimes older. Unbalanced tells the story of the four sisters as they are today, women in their late 20s
Kathryn
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank Booktasters and Courtney Shepard for the opportunity in reading this incredible and action-packed story. Unbalanced tells the story of four sisters; all the personification of the four elements Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. A powerful force, they are hunted throughout the centuries by the Order as well as The Four who want to kill them. After a nail-biting introduction and battle sequence, the story takes us to modern day Columbia where we meet one of the elements and the main p ...more
Rachel Nefeke
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What starts as terrible memory of past sins turned out pretty quickly to the adventure of life and death. Eight different people. Four different skills or powers, to be clear. Tidbits of love, hatred, mystery and questioning of the main purpose of life. Powerful people who don't know each other are now a close family. Only together they can survive. Or not?
From past to the future on a few pages. It got me unprepared, took my hand and threw me into the world, where hope for life means to fight. F
Yolisa
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book so much.So much girl power,excitement,intrigue.I don't know how I would live everyday of my life with an axe hanging over my head,ready to do damage,but these four girls did.Raised with supernatural powers,not knowing that they have 'real family'.Formed bonds with caretakers who became their family.
Cannot wait to read the second instalment and see them triumph over the vicious Four because they better win.
S.K. Gregory
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting paranormal read that fantasy fans will enjoy. Four sisters with control over the elements must come together if they are to survive the order.
Brent Harris
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unbalanced author Courtney Shepard shows potential in debut Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Romance

Unbalanced is a paranormal/urban fantasy romance that tells the story of Asha and her journey to discover herself, her powers, and the sisters she never knew she had, all while staying one step ahead of The Order, an ancient cult bent on destroying Asha and her sisters and taking their powers for themselves, generation after generation.

Shepard succeeds more often than she fails in this, her debut offering
Vasiliki Tzalachani
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
A very interesting book where I couldn't predict what would happen next. I like how realistic the exchanges between the characters were and how it's not your typical romance between the characters and I really liked this!

I also, like the cliffhanger it stopped which gets me hyped up for the following books!!

I would totally recommend to someone who is bored of the typical romance adventure books! I had a very good time reading it and if life allowed me more time I would have ended it in 2 weeks a
Marta Tandori
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unbalanced is a wonderful paranormal fantasy that has just the right amount of romance to keep both lovers of paranormal and romance intrigued with this unique offering by talented Canadian writer, Courtney Shepard.

Since the Middle Ages, each generation has produced four unique sisters that have the power over the four essential elements of life: earth, air, fire and water. Hunted by a fanatical, secret sect called the Order, each generation has tragically lost their lives to the Order and with
Julie Porter
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mark Schultz
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book to read! I am so glad I did not miss this book, the fantasy and paranormal underpinnings lend depth, which is not often encountered in a modern action tale.
Asha is hot! She is also a mercenary, she fights injustice and slavery. But something goes very wrong in the latest mission. The intel was faulty, and Father Sean is aiming at her!
I am committed to never giving spoilers, therefore I cannot provide more details about the book. I can announce that a sequel is in the works, which
Leon Huet
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unbalanced is a paranormal fantasy romance with plenty of thrills and spills. The story concerns a feisty young woman called Asha who can command fire. While falling for a handsome rogue she and her similarly powerful sisters battle against an ancient order intent on destroying them.

The beginning of the novel is a succession of intriguing and thrilling set pieces that immerse the reader in a compelling and dangerous world. The combination of bone-crunching military action, cultish magic and anci
Anna Runes
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unbalanced offers everything a lover of paranormal romances is looking for. The story follows one of four sisters as they discover each other and their own awesome powers. Tasked with responsibilities that will affect all of humanity, the sisters are kept ignorant of their enemies; enemies whose own survival requires the death of all four. On every page I had to wonder how Asha, the main character, could possibly survive, let alone help her sisters defeat their dark enemies, both human and other ...more
Anita
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read! I was so into it from the start and it didn't let up! Action, great female characters and even romance. I loved the slight feminist slant to it and can't wait for more. I understand that there will be four in the series, but the first was a great book unto itself. Www need more fiction like this!
Stephanie
Unbalanced is a well balanced paranormal romance book. Written well enough to keep my attention through the whole book. With an exciting storyline made this book one that I couldn't put down and I am still looking for more.
Erica Shepard
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New and exciting paranormal romance. The plot was exciting and fast paced and once I started reading I could not put it down. Great character development and I am already anxiously waiting for the next book in the series. Highly recommended and great read!!!
Donna Chadwick
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital-books
Amazing book very easy to get in to and l would read it again and again and it's a great book l would highly recommend it
K. Austen
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It had everything. Action, mystery, magic, and romance. The characters were exciting and the writing is simple, yet evocative. I recommend this as perfect pool or beach, summer read.
Kez Booth
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The plot started of as being really promising and I was intrigued by the premise of the story. The story was fast paced and found it to be an easy, quick read and the series has a lot of potential. There was no shortage of drama; the story throws readers right into the action with Asha.

I found the primary character to be interesting at first but was overall left feeling disappointed. Asha one of the sisters and a 'warrior queen' makes a stunning entrance and shows promise as a strong-willed fema
 Diana Davis
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unbalanced Kindle Edition
by Courtney Shepard (Author)
Teeny spoiler alert

I voluntarily read a copy of this book provided by NetGalley for review purposes.

Four sisters, holding immense power over the elements chased through time by four monsters in the guise of men and the religious zealots they have created. Can they survive this time? Can anything change their fates of horrid, vile deaths at the hands of their villains? Since I don't believe in spoilers, I'm not telling! So there!

But the beginni
Diana Lavaughn
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teeny spoiler alert

But the beginning of the novel with a deeply disturbing re-enactment
Alana Bloom
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was provided a copy of Unbalanced by NetGalley for review purposes.

Unbalanced dumped the reader straight into the heat of action from the very beginning as we watch Asha single-handedly storm an alleged rebel fortress in the jungles of South America. Unbalanced is primarily told from Asha’s POV. With a glimpse into the catalyst that brought her to South America, the story truly begins at her guerrilla encampment and Clay’s entry. The story quickly picks up as the other characters were introduc
Darrell Nelson
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A title like that lends itself to puns. I'll try to avoid that.
Unbalanced is a fast paced Urban Fantasy with a bit a Romance. Overall it works pretty good on that level. However, it really could have used one more beta read for clarity. Entire chapters have the characters names mentioned once, then only pronouns of he or she. This distanced me from the characters. As I got farther into the book, as it switched from one character to another, I'd have to stop to remember which "she" this was.
In th
FNM
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
'Unbalanced' is a fast paced urban fantasy novel, which includes a whole lot of action, magical powers and a bit of romance thrown in just for fun. If follows the story of four sisters as they begin to discover who they really are and there place in this world.The book itself included everything I expected too, with multiple characters, a couple of bad sort of good guys and the real bad guys.

Not going to lie the first thing I thought of when I read the blurb was Avatar: The Last Air-bender, the
Lindaworkman
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unbalanced is a story repeated throughout history between the powers of Dark and Light, a story of destiny, a story of elemental magic, and of being persecuted simply for being born different and surviving thus far. It is also a story of ill-fated love and the precarious balance of self-protection versus trust that plays out in the lives of all of us.

Unbalanced is the opening book to a series by the same title. It is fast-paced and packed full of interesting turns of events that keep the reader
Christine Rose
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unbalanced is a paranormal, fantasy romance. The plot revolves around an all-powerful Order and four amazingly powerful sisters: Asha, Mere Ivy, and Avia.

The sisters are chased by the Order. The Order is ruled by the Four and their sole purpose is to kill the sisters and steal their powers. They fear them but at the same time, they want to use them too.

This book focuses on Asha who has a fiery and strong personality. She has the power of fire and she had been through a lot during her childhood
Deyae
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is really such a great pick, it took me a few chapters to fell in love with it. I couldn't put it down, even if I did my thoughts would be about what would happen next, it was so intriguing to get so much engrossed and attached this quickly, so as I said before do not hesitate to give it a try, it's really WORTH it.
The story is basically about four sisters, each one of them has a nature power; fire, water, air and earth. In each generation, these sisters would be born, to end up killed
Sarah Z
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm still trying to sort out my feelings about this book. I feel like I went through everything on fast forward. There's so much that happened in so little time and I'm not sure whether I'm satisfied or left wanting. I'm hoping that this novel is part of a series because it seems to be set up that way. There are WAY too many loose ends with the story line and the partnering up of the characters for there
Maria Rivas-mc
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
“The Order’s sole purpose is to find the sisters and take their power through sacrifice. We do it for the Four.”

So, this is not a ‘happy ever after’ kind of novel. People - the innocent to the very guilty - fight and die (often gruesomely) as the book proceeds. It’s in the urban fantasy genre with a Prologue which starts off in Spain in the Middle Ages and ends in Northern British Columbia in 1988.

This is our introduction to the story of the four Sisters who are more than human and may seem col
J.D. Wilde
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
TLDR: A good, occasionally great urban fantasy.

The Review:

Unbalanced tells the tales of four sisters fighting against the Order who wish to sacrifice them in order to gain enormous amounts of power. This book has a fairly high number of important characters, but it focuses on Asha, which is great as she is a badass mercenary kind of woman. And I do love reading about badasses.

The action scenes are great fun to read, and the other characters are quite interesting to learn about as well. I always
Cordelia
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Unbalanced is a story about four powerful sisters. Each of them have the power of each elements; fire, water, earth, and air. Each time the sisters are born, they will be track and kill by The Order. Sometimes as babies and sometimes when they're older. To survive, they need to join force and fend for themselves with some help from their friends, ready for the upcoming battle.

Unbalanced is an interesting book where the story is unpredictable. I loves when it shows so much girl power and how the
GOOD REVIEWS: Paranormal romance review request 6 19 Jun 10, 2015 07:47PM
Courtney Shepard was born in Vancouver, British Columbia. Unbalanced is her first work of fiction and the first installment of the Unbalanced Series.