Start by marking “Into the Americas” as Want to Read:
Into the Americas

Into the Americas

INTO THE AMERICAS (A novel based on a true story) is a gritty, real-life adventure based on one of history’s greatest survival stories. It was inspired by the diary entries of young English blacksmith John Jewitt during his time aboard the brigantine The Boston and also during his sojourn at Nootka Sound, on North America's western seaboard, from 1802 to 1805.

Written by fa
Published May 29th 2015 by Sterling Gate Books

To ask other readers questions about Into the Americas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Americas

Belinda
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,25 stars - English ebook - I have dyslexia - review follows later. 🍀🍀🍀
Pat
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing

It is 1802 and apprentice blacksmith John Jewitt is living in Kingston Upon Hull and working for his father.
His dreams of adventure and traveling to far off places becomes real when Captain John Salter asks him to join the crew aboard his brig, The Boston, which is setting sail to the Americas to trade muskets with the indigenous tribes who populate the new world, then sail on to China.

So begins Into The Americas, an historical fiction novel and a gripping adventure story.

With a great plot and
Leah
I found this book as I was interested in reading something based on Vancouver Island, because my husband and I have a trip planned there. This was a brand new location and history for me to read about and I was intrigued by the descriptions throughout. I felt connected to the characters, wanted to know what happened to them next.
Reading the authors' notes at the end it was a bit disappointing to learn that portions of the story were completely made up. I understand that the book is all based on
David Canford
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Based on the true story of John Jewitt, who was captured and enslaved by a First Nation tribe on Vancouver island, this is an entertaining and interesting read. If you like adventure stories, or reading about the original inhabitants of North America you will enjoy this. It has inspired me to read John Jewitt's own account, which is also available on Kindle. I could see it as a movie - and a more interesting one than the Revenant.
Terri Calvert
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read

I really enjoyed the history in this novel. I hadn't heard of John before and it was fascinating to read his story, even or especially with some literary license thrown in. I really admire these authors and all of the research they do to increase our knowledge of those long ago times while still entertaining us. Another great read!
Andrew
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Into the Americas provides an in depth look at Mowachaht culture; an indigenous people residing on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The time frame begins in 1802, a few years before Louis and Clark reach the Pacific Northwest.

Part One opens with European traders sailing into Nookta Sound, exchanging faulty muskets for sea otter skins among other items. Mowachaht hunters learn of the defective weapons when ambushed by a rival native tribe also on a hunting trip. “The whites are to blame.”

On th
Sterling Gate Books
NB: This is a review by the publisher
Phoenix Reads
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Since I am such a fan of James and Lance Morcan, a father and son writing team, they always send me their newly launched books in exchange for a review. Which I am honored to do.

Into the Americas relates one of the great true wilderness survival stories, based on a true story from the diary of English blacksmith John Jewitt during his time aboard The Boston and his time at Nootka Sound on North America's Western seaboard (from 1802 to 1805)
As I said, I am a fan of the Morcan writing team, and i
Sheri
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Into the Americas (A novel based on a true story) By Lance Morcan

Based on a true story (by the diary) of English blacksmith John Jewitt during his time aboard The Boston and during his time at Nootka Sound, on North America's Western seaboard (from 1802 to 1805).

Nineteen year old John Jewitt is one of only two survivors after his crew mates clash with the Mowachaht tribe in the Pacific Northwest. They are held as slaves by Maquina, the Mowachat Chief. They make several attempts to escape.

John
Katherine Holmes
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the notes after the novel Into the Americas, the authors mention that John Jewitt's experiences on Vancouver Island in the very early 1800's were widely unknown. I had spent some weeks in Vancouver and visited the Native American museum in the area but never knew about John Jewitt. A quick internet search brought up his diaries and then there was information about the chief Maquina under that Native American history. So after being somewhat stunned at the first chapters of the book, I was eag ...more
Catherine Putsche
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Father-and-son Lance & James Morcan have created a rich, immersive and informative story of two men’s courageous voyage and capture in the Pacific Northwest during the early 19th century. Startling, assertive and intense, it’s perhaps one of the most captivating true-life survival tales of all time!”

In the opening chapter the reader is introduced to the main protagonist, John Jewitt, an apprentice blacksmith, who dreams of travelling abroad on one of the great brigs that dock in Kingston up
Yvonne Crowe
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Morcan writing team of father and son never fail to amaze me with the diversity of subjects they tackle to produce the most intriguing novels. Lance Morcan has turned to the Pacific Northwest for his tale about the clash between the indigenous natives and European settlers in Canada from 1802-1805.
Captured by the Chief of the fierce Mowachaht tribe Maquina, John Jewitt, a blacksmith from Kingston on Hull seeking adventure on the high seas, enters a life of slavery. He falls in love with a be
David Workman
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novel is well-written, colorful, and captivating (in more ways than one). It provides fascinating details about life among the indigenous peoples of North America's northwest coast circa 1800 - and about the crews of the sailing trade ships of Europe and the USA. The story is based on the remarkable diaries of one of two sailors who lived as captives for more than two years among the people now known as Nootka. This tale makes me want to search out more factual details about the incidents d ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Into The Americas is based on a true story ( The Diary) of John Jewitt an English Blacksmith. About his time aboard The Boston and during his time at Nootka Sound which is on North America's western sea board ( from 1802 to 1805)
John Jewitt is only nineteen he is one of two survivors after his crew mates clash with the Mowachaht tribe in the pacific Northwest. Held as slaves by the Magnina, the Mo wachet Chief. They try several times to escape.
John falls in love with a beautiful Indian Girl Ev-
brian miller
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Absolutely loved this story. Constantly entertaining and amazingly descriptive. Recommend to anyone who likes historical fiction or historical fiction drama or historical Fiction native American books
Zumalong
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Into the americas

I found this book very appealing. The history of how our European culture clashed with the native Americans was fascinating. Highly recommended for a good read.
Lynelle Clark
I received this book from the author for an honest review.

It took me awhile to get through the book due to personal responsibilities that took presidence at times but I always found my way back; getting involved in this adventure filled historical that played of in the early 1800's. Based on true events I found the characters endearing and believable even touching.
The strong charcaters of John Jewitt, Thompson "Father" and Maquina made this story interesting and captivating. Live back then was
Pam
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Into The Americas: A Novel Based on A True Story was written by Lance and James Morcan. It is a really good book and easy to read. It is based on the diary of John Jewitt from the 1780’s. Based on other research, the characters were filled out and the customs followed as best as possible. Lance and James Morcan do their research meticulously and in great depth. This makes their books so interesting.
John Jewitt went to sea on board The Boston with the reluctant permission of his family. They had
Tony Parsons
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
- I’m quite sure this word was not around in those days “happy camper.”

- For me it had too many pages it was not blah, blah blah but what I call filler pages. Condensed would have been nice.

Timeline 1802-1805.
The story evolved around John Jewitt (19, blacksmith) & his coming of age to see the world.
After boarding The Boston run by Captain John Salter & his crew John & Johnathan Thompson head for the Nootka village (NW Pacific region) that is home to the Mowachaht tribe. Unfortunate
Mirella
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been an avid follower of all books by these authors, thoroughly loving each book. This book was no exception. There is a beautiful cadence to the story, flowing at a perfect pace while striking an easy balance between detail and plot. The characters, especially the protaganist and his cohort, are fascinating in every aspect. They are deeply complex with differing motivations as they struggle to survive as slaves of the native people. Of course there is a bit of a romance, although that is ...more
Sena Zimmer
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The events would be too incredulous to be true if it were not for the fact that they were based on the diary of John Jewitt in the early 1800's. Twenty five of Jewitt's crewmates aboard The Boston were slaughtered and, Jewitt and Thompson were taken as slaves by the Mowachahts indians in the Pacific Northwest. The book is a real page turner and seems to bizarre to be true. I couldn't put it down and enjoyed learing about the Mowachahts Indian culture, being savage and also kind and generous
at
Gloria Brooks
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Good Read

Totally enjoyed this book ,once I started it I didn't want to put it down. Kept me interested to the end..Good historical book, plied with interesting details and drama...I would tell anyone to read this.
Christopher Goforth
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Wow i could not stop reading this book i recommend cor anyone who likes adventure you won't believe the action or the savagery incredible reading
Cathy
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was lengthy but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I didn't like where it ended. Lance and James did a great job.
Katie Decker
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katie by: Melanie Young
I loved this book! It was well written based on a true story. I loved the excitement and the story of survival.
Chrissy Dyer
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lance Morcan gives us a fabulous story that leaves you without sleep. I could not put this book down until I was finished. I love the Canadian History told in this book since I am Canadian
Chet
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Determined

This embellished true story is an insightful read into the lives of the native people of Vancouver. Island around the late 1800's. A worthwhile read.
Margaret A. Metcalf
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical fiction based on actual diary.

I loved this story Excellent writing and wonderful weave of fact and fiction. Marvelous descriptions of both sailors, sailors lives and native lives in the first people of Vancouver. The conflict that the main character (story based of his actual diary) is woven into wonderful descriptions of everyday tasks of life as well as descriptive scenery. I loved this book.
Barbara D.
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Into the Americas' is a fascinating and fast paced read. This is a well written novel and the authors skilfully weave together history, mystery, action and suspense. I really enjoyed reading this book and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a gripping historical novel.
Todd Simpson
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simply Splendid. It’s hard sometimes to put into words how much you enjoy a book, but this story is amazing. Both Lance & James Morcan have captivated me with their writing, and taken me on an adventure that was certainly a joy to read. Captain Walsh and his men were certainly on edge trading with the Mowachaht Indian Tribe in North America. They were fully aware that things could turn quite volatile at any moment, so they were keen to trade their muskets for sea otter pelts, and get out of ...more
belletrist: A Romeo and Juliet story set in the wilderness 1 68 Sep 02, 2018 02:30PM
Writers and Readers : Into the Americas 2 11 Sep 02, 2015 01:34PM
  • The Orphan Uprising (The Orphan Trilogy, #3)
  • The Hidden Ones (Legacy of the Watchers, #1)
  • The Brothers' Keepers
  • A Whisper From Eden
  • Persecuted: I Will Not Be Silent
  • Perpetua: A Bride, a Martyr, a Passion
  • The Faith Dare: 30 Days to Live Your Life to the Fullest
  • Rising of a Dead Moon
  • The Scholar
  • Ishtah: The Prostitute's Daughter
  • Birth of an Assassin (Birth of an Assassin)
  • To Challenge the Earl of Cravenswood (Wicked Wagers, #3)
  • Homeless at Harvard: Finding Faith and Friendship on the Streets of Harvard Square
  • The Last Boat
New Zealand novelist and screenwriter Lance Morcan is a prolific author with more than 20 published fiction and non-fiction books to his credit as well as several screenplay adaptations of his work. A former journalist and newspaper editor, he regularly writes in collaboration with his son James Morcan, and their books are published by Sterling Gate Books.

The father-and-son team's published books