Start by marking “The Traitor Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Traitor Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #1)

The Traitor Baru Cormorant

(The Masquerade #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  10,573 ratings  ·  1,803 reviews
Baru Cormorant will pay any price to liberate her world — even if it makes her a monster.

When the Empire of Masks conquers her island home and murders one of her fathers, Baru makes a vow: I will never be powerless again. She'll swallow her hate, join the Empire’s civil service, and claw her way high enough to set her people free.

Suspicious of her l
Published September 15th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Traitor Baru Cormorant, please sign up.
Seth Dickinson I'm not sure! There will be one sequel, and maybe two. I'm trying to use as few books as possible to tell the story.
Seth Dickinson Hey! I'm hoping I can get you a schedule for this early next year. It won't be 'soon' as in months, but it hopefully won't be years and years either.

·  10,573 ratings  ·  1,803 reviews

Start your review of The Traitor Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #1)
Melanie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Kathy

“I will remake the world so that no woman will ever have to do this again.”

I’ve been sitting here, looking at a blank word document, for almost twenty minutes. I don’t even know how to possibly start a review for this book. I can honestly say that I have never read anything, in my entire life, like The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson. This book was so very quiet, but it spoke so very loudly to me. But this is easily one of the best books I’ve read in my entire life.

Baru Cormorant learns from a ver
Petrik
Oct 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Believe me, I’m sad at myself for giving this book 1 star rating but I must be honest, this book was a massive struggle for me to finish.

“This is the truth. You will know because it hurts.”

And you were right, the truth is that I’m disappointed and it really hurt. To be fair, I despised accounting with a fiery passion and my expectation for this book may be too high. I bought this book in January, I’ve been waiting for the release of The Monster Baru Cormorant before I started this one; that’s ten months of/>
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/10/20/b...

A really odd sensation is coming over me right now. I’ve just finished The Traitor Baru Cormorant and I’m sitting down to write this review, struggling to find the right words to describe my journey with this book. It all started even before I picked up the novel, since I’d been seeing so many of my fellow readers talk about it in the weeks leading up to its release, and quite frankly, a lot of the stuff I heard scared the hell out of me.

E
Bradley
I'm going to have to make a new shelf for the growing number of economi-punk titles that have been coming out. I can't believe how many of them there are, or why I get drawn so hard and fast into these kinds of tales. I can easily list one economist-protagonist for each of my fingers, and no one is more surprised than me that I'm digging it.

I'm digging it hard.

Can we have math geniuses make great heroes? Why yes, of course you can. SF has a very long history of doing just
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
If you're a fan of political intrigue & fierce female characters, this is a book for you!

Baru Cormorant is an idealistic & intelligent woman, compelled from a young age to dominate the intricate games of power between reigning territories & save her precious island home & the unique culture that raised her.

It can be quite difficult to find such a lovely balance of politics, characterization, plot twists, and imagination, but I think Seth Dickinson's debut is a beautiful blend of all
Paul
Reread in April of 2019:
I reread this book on audio in 2019. I enjoyed it more this time around but I still couldn't connect with the second half of the book that is mostly political intrigue. For some reason, I completely zone out during all the meetings that Baru has with the rebels.

I talk about the reread some in my wrap-up video: https://youtu.be/Qe1prVghxVQ

Increased rating from a 1 to a 2.

Original Review:
This book is a rollar coaster of a ride and not in a good way. This book went fro
Kameron Hurley
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an early ARC of this book because I enjoyed the author's short fiction. Turns out I have impeccable taste. This is a smart, brutal, gut-wrenching novel of conquesting and conquered, revenge, deceit, and betrayal. You'll be captivated from the very first page. Dickinson is a sly, masterful writer who pulls no punches. Get ready to have your heart ripped out through your throat. Highly recommended.

Pre-order it the moment it becomes available. You won't be sorry.

Thomas Wagner
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You are probably going to hate this book. Seth Dickinson knows this and gives you fair warning at the outset. "This is the truth. You will know because it hurts." And even then, you aren't prepared. Over the course of 400 tight and tense pages, the book lives up to its promise. Like its namesake, The Traitor Baru Cormorant lures you in, puts you at your ease, wins your confidence, and then destroys you. Not wasting time with the often superficial cynicism towards humanity's innate corrupt nature that has ...more
Mayim de Vries
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about female Machiavelli armed with ledgers. Also, a lesbian.

I could probably end my review here, but there is much more to Baru Cormorant.

Apparently, everything I need to drop everything I do and absolutely disregard my carefully planned reading schedule is three words: “epic geopolitical fantasy”. While the book is undoubtedly epic and downright geopolitical, it simultaneously is more dystopian than a fantasy, so if you expect your books to dazzle you with a complex magic syst
Althea Ann
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for fans of Daniel Abraham's 'A Shadow in Summer.' Hey, it's a small subgenre: well-written, painstakingly-crafted fantasy starring female accountants!

I've never been a huge fan of accounting; it never captured my imagination. Really, I can't even be bothered to balance a checkbook. But THESE books - I loved both of them.

'The Traitor Baru Cormorant' (known just as 'The Traitor' in the UK) introduces us to the character of Baru Cormorant. When she's just
Elizabeth
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally published on the booksandpieces blog.

Clever, cunning, and dark as hell. Do not fuck with Baru Cormorant.

This book hurt me in two ways. The first was a familiar pain so let's just get it out there: queer characters die tragically. FFS, again?

The other pain, well, some people pay for that kind of thing.

How do you fight the system? That's really the question this book asks. How do you fight a culture that broke you into pieces and reshaped you into their mould? Is it pos
Erik
So I have three book review pet peeves:

[1] Pictures in reviews of books not written by Eric Carle.

I like words. They’re beautiful, particularly in their inclusivity. A wonderful sentence invites us into its world. I – my consciousness – am in the same room as the sentence. The opposite is true of wonderful pictures. I feel like I’m standing at a window, looking out at the picture. There’s a distance there, and I don’t like that.

But just yesterday I assigned a book to a stud/>[1]
Allison Hurd
Okay, so. I really did not like this. I knew by page 100 that I wouldn't have a good reading experience, and so everything even mildly irritating that happened afterward turned to immediate aggravation. I don't know why people love this book, unless a twist ending is enough to grab you.

It's full of telling, the only showing is drawn out battles, the dialogue made no sense, the characters were not even flat--they were downright non-existent. I hated Baru and the dukes. I hated the por
Sophie
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Megan Whalen Turner and N.K. Jemisin
Recommended to Sophie by: Sunil
Um wow I am not okay

I JUST WANT RAINBOWS AND KITTENS AND FOR EVERYBODY TO BE HAPPY FOREVER

Like. There are a lot of interesting things to say about this book. But right now I need to just curl up in a little ball and process what I just read. WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK MY HEART, BOOK. WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU.
Sigrid Ellis
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
I finished reading Seth Dickinson’d The Traitor Baru Cormorant.
My head is spinning, a bit.
I finished it three days ago.

***

In those geek-circle inevitable conversations, a perennial one is What AD&D Alignment Are You? Like What Hogwarts’ House Are You or Which Pokemon Are You, this is the sort of conversation that can lead to dangerous ground, if you start telling your friends and family what alignment you think they are and they disagree and then you EXPLA
Kaora
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate reviewing books like this because I really really don't want to spoil it for others, but I still want to convey how much I enjoyed it.

It is also a book that while extremely well done is probably not for everyone especially if you are looking for a book full of action.

I will go to Falcrest and learn to rule, as we have been ruled. I will make it so no Taranoki daughter will lose a father again.

The Empire of Masks has come to Baru Comorant's home, and outlawed her cu/>I
Joel
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Wow.

I am not really sure where to even categorize The Traitor Baru Cormorant. It's not really fantasy, yet based on it's tone and setting, it would definitely fall in that category. It pushes boundaries - moral, sexual, political. It presents many tough questions, tough situations, tough outcomes. The scope is both sprawling and incredibly tight, yet never feels to be too much of either.

It has the makings of a masterpiece, but doesn't quite hit on all cylinders for me. However, it sure as hel
Matthew
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE TRAITOR is an epic geopolitical fantasy about one woman's mission to tear down an empire by learning how to rule it.

Tomorrow, on the beach, Baru Cormorant will look up from the sand of her home and see red sails on the horizon.

The Empire of Masks is coming, armed with coin and ink, doctrine and compass, soap and lies. They'll conquer Baru’s island, rewrite her culture, criminalize her customs, and dispose of one of her fathers. But Baru is patient. She'll swallow her
Nathan
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy Review Barn

And I was having such luck with early hyped debuts lately.

It would be easy to get caught up in The Traitor Baru Cormorant, in many ways it is a fine debut that shows an author with a lot of promise. Certainly there is ambition in this book; nothing about it looks like an author taking the easy way down any path. And maybe that is the problem I had here. It may be too ambitious for its page count. It starts down one path, darts to another, and ends with a compl
David Katzman
Sadly, I gave up halfway through. I just saw no reason to continue forcing my way through what didn’t work for me. This is one of those cases where Goodreads ratings aren’t very helpful. While it’s accurate to say “I did not like it,” this isn’t really a 1-star book. It’s a book where I couldn’t suspend my disbelief because I didn’t believe in the main character and found many of the plot choices awkward and forced.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant is another book like An Unkindness of Ghosts where the theme/>The
Giovanna
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Traitor Baru Cormorant caught my eye here on goodreads, while I was mindlessly looking for interesting titles. It had few ratings, but the plot sounded quite cool and TOR rarely publishes trash when it comes to fantasy. The ebook was cheap so...I was sold.

Can't say I'm disappointed. Actually I was extremely surprised, and in a positive way, by pretty much everything in this book. It's a political fantasy, it's clever, cunning, twisted, cruel. Which in my book makes it pretty much
Kevin Xu
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Probably one of the best book I have ever read. My favorite book so far of the year.

This book is so different from any type of fantasy that I have ever read. Its like nothing out there, its so unique. Good job on a well done debut that will divide people/readers as much as Thomas Convent or The Magicians. Its like if all the Grimdark authors started to add something different to all there works, but still is realistic and considered to be Grimdark.

Basically in my opinion, this book is Grimdark
Stevie Kincade
(Audiobook – 4.5 stars) The Traitor Baru Cormorant is unlike any book I have ever read before.

I have read plenty of tales of revenge, empire building, totalitarianism, deceit and subterfuge. I have read fantasies that contain no magic or dragons. I have never read a book with all these elements where our main character is an accountant who’s main weapons are guile, inflation, market manipulation and management of logistics.

Wait! Don’t stop reading! I know the idea of a controlled sub-prime mortga/>Wait!
Kaitlin
This book started out so incredibly strong for me and just got progressively weaker. I loved meeting our main character, Baru, as a young girl becuase she was inquisitive, imaginative and clever. She comes from a place where there is a definite tribal influence and people often have two fathers and one mother. This was instantly interesting to me, it was something I liked the sound of and though made Baru into a colourful and fun character.

However, as the story progressed Baru's home
Stuart
A relentless tale of deceptions, betrayals, rebellion, gender identity, politics, with a royal accountant protagonist
Kevin Wei’s review at Fantasy Literature covers the themes and merits of this excellent book so eloquently that there isn’t much more I can add, other than to say this book is fiercely intelligent, frequently brutal in the moral dilemmas that its central character Baru Cormorant faces, and the world it de
TheBookSmugglers
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baru Cormorant is just seven years old when the Masquerade comes to her home, Taranoke, bringing their foreign ships, their paper currency, their wares and their ways. This alone doesn’t frighten young Baru, for Taranoke has always been a port of commerce: a vital hub of trade exporting sugarcane in exchange for textiles, citrus for sailcloth, buying and selling currencies from the neighboring provinces and islands who make their safe stops in Taranoke’s welcoming harbor.

But during B
Claudia ✨
“This is the truth. You will know because it hurts.”

The Traitor Baru Cormorant is one of a kind. It's a book that will lie to you, gladly, luring you into a sense of false safety. Then it will pull the carpet from underneath your feet laughing and you fall to your ass like the gullible fool you are, completely ast
Emma
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm annoyed at myself. This book has everything: it's well written, it has a brilliantly conceived world, characters are finely woven individuals that dominate the page. The author seems like a great person - I read the AMA on Reddit.

But I just didn't love it. I don't even understand why, I couldn't give you the details because i'm not even sure myself. So this isn't really a review, it's me shrugging my shoulders and looking a bit silly.

Many thanks to Seth Dickinson, Ne
Lata
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Wow. Brilliant, black, intricate, and harsh. Baru is a brilliant young woman, who's scary as all hell, educated in the civilized ways of the Masquerade to be an Imperial Accountant. Baru's mathematical brain constantly tallies up small things about everything around her, understanding intimately the necessity of following the money, of using people's economic needs to manipulate them in little and huge ways, drawing various people's disparate rebellious plans against Falcrest together. All the ...more
Alissa
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...we are not free. Not even when we march beside them, nor even when we lead them. Freedom granted by your rulers is just a chain with a little slack."
The Sword and Laser: TTBC: Is this book "fantasy"? 60 261 Oct 11, 2019 02:28PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "The Traitor Baru Cormorant" Full Discussion *Spoilers* 59 125 Jun 16, 2019 10:52AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Traitor Baru Cormorant [October 2018] 30 27 Oct 31, 2018 06:47AM
/r/Fantasy Discus...: October 2018: The Traitor Baru Cormorant 7 60 Oct 29, 2018 03:52AM
The We Drink and ...: Our November Pick! 1 12 Oct 24, 2017 08:53AM
Ask the author! 13 106 Mar 07, 2016 07:34PM

• Last First Snow (Craft Sequence, #4)
  • Empire Ascendant (Worldbreaker Saga, #2)
  • The Winged Histories
  • The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, #1)
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
  • The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • The Ninth Rain (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy, #1)
  • Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1)
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • The Philosopher Kings (Thessaly, #2)
  • Updraft (Bone Universe, #1)
  • Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr
  • The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood, #2)
  • Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History
Since his 2012 debut, Seth's fiction has appeared in Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Analog, and nearly every other major science fiction and fantasy market.

He's a lapsed student of social neuroscience, where he studied the role of racial bias in police shootings, and the writer of much of the lore and fictional flavor for Bungie Studios' smash hit Destiny. In his spare time he works on the collaborati

The Masquerade (3 books)
  • The Monster Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #2)
  • The Tyrant Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #3)
“This is the truth. You will know because it hurts.” 37 likes