Start by marking “The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table” as Want to Read:
The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
From the Preface by Alfred W. Pollard:

"There is much repetition in the Morte d'Arthur as Malory left it. How often Sir Breuse sans Pitie played his ugly tricks, or Tristram rescued Palomides, or minor knights met at adventure and emulated their betters, it is not easy to count. I have tried to clear away some of the underwoods that the great trees may be better seen, and t
Hardcover, Abridged from Malory's Morte d'Arthur, 509 pages
Published 1979 by MacMillan (first published 1917)

Be the first to ask a question about The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

GoldGato
A book for book-lovers. Malory and Rackham. Excalibur! Originally published in 1917 as an abridgement of the classic MORTE D'ARTHUR, this is the 1979 reprint featuring those gorgeous illustrations of Merlin and Arthur and Launcelot and Galahad. You will believe.

Given the number of knights it is sometimes hard to weed out the forest, but my favorite is Sir Tristram. If he lived today, he would be a beach dude...with a deadly sword. So cool, so easy-going (Launcelot tends to veer on the moody side
Valerie
Sep 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Abridged, but the Rackham illustrations make up for that.
Wayne
I first came to King Arthur with a small book with the tales retold by Charles Kingsley.
That sold me...for good.

Then I saw the MGM movie with Robert Taylor as Sir Lancelot, Ava Gardner as Guinivere and Mel Ferrer, unkindly described as " a wet charge of powder " by one critic,as an idealistic but whimpy King Arthur. (But Stanley Baker made a superb villan.)
Who cared!! In 1953 this was MGM's first Cinemascope production, even shot in England (with American accents.)

Years later I saw the Round Ta
Jaimie
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book completely for the illustrations, ad as per usual with Rackham's work I was not disappointed. The large colour panels are what most people are drawn to with his work, but I was just as appreciative of the b&w line drawings scattered throughout the text. Many were simply decorative and didn't depict a specific scene from the tales, but Rackham's mastery of line is still clearly showcased in each illustration.

I couldn't actually choose a favourite colour piece, as there are t
Yvonne Flint
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a treat to read Thomas Malory's 1485 translation, although sometimes unfortunately abridged, of the seminal tales of Western Europe's mythic soul. The language rang with the adventures of knightly heroes - Sir Tristan, Sir Galahad, Sir Gawaine - the Sangreal quest and the eternal tragic triangle of Arthur, Lancelot, and Guinevere. New to me was Sir Bors who seems much the most dependable friend any knight, king, or queen could have. Over 1,600 years later, the dream of the once and future k ...more
Chuck King
One gets a bit tired of the same stories told over and over . . . only the names changing, basically. And seriously, how lame was the kind of chivalry the Romance celebrates? Still, it bears reading, even before the final section, which inspired "Camelot." I have to say that I did enjoy reading such archaic English, for such a long story!
Tim B
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The dialogue in the book is old English and sometimes hard to follow. It's also repetitive with tournaments and jousts in every chapter. Lots of violence too. Still, the book gives all the details to the stories I've heard and read about King Arthur.
Kim
Love the classics.
Martin Bihl
Great story, but the real value is, of course, Rackham's illustrations, which are tremendous.
Jared Detter
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
I think the tales of King Arthur may be the best mythopoeic story cycles ever written.
Natalie Pegano
Aug 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Arthur's Britain
  • The Quest for Arthur's Britain
  • Wise Woman's Telling (Morgan Le Fay, #1)
  • The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
  • Roman de Brut
  • The Arthurian Legends
  • Lancelot of the Lake
  • The Quest for Merlin
Sir Thomas Malory was a knight in the fifteenth century, who, while imprisoned, compiled the collection of tales we know as Le Morte D'Arthur, translating the legend of King Arthur from original French tales such as the Vulgate Cycle.
More about Thomas Malory...