Start by marking “Rings of Passage: A Time Travel Novel with Richard III” as Want to Read:
Rings of Passage: A Time Travel Novel with Richard III

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Rings of Passage: A Time Travel Novel with Richard III

Anise Wynford stumbles down the porch steps of her farmhouse in 21st century Massachusetts and into the nightmare of a raging battlefield of armor and sword fighting.

When she later awakens in a medieval forest in the presence of a gallant white knight, their connection is immediate. Concerned for her safety, the knight carries her to his castle. Her knight turns out to be
Kindle Edition, 2, 178 pages
Published May 23rd 2015 by Kindle Direct Publishing (first published August 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rings of Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rings of Passage

Start your review of Rings of Passage: A Time Travel Novel with Richard III
Emma
Kara

This is going to sound like a backhanded compliment, but I mean it sincerely when I say the book was better than I thought it was going to be.

The setup of a struggling young actress in Richard III hurtled though time via a magic ring to the reign of the actual Richard III where she and the king have instant chemistry was not a set up that installed me with great confidence – but I decided to give it a try – and was more than pleasantly surprised at how good this book was!

Anise is initially ann
Kiltsandswords
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on Netgalley and it looked interesting so I requested it. I’ve been on a real time travel kick lately, so a book that featured time travel and a time period I didn’t know much about seemed like a great combination.
I would have to say this book didn’t fit into the historical romance category that most books I read do. There is a beautiful love story, but the political intrigue and supernatural events are a major focus. I found this story to be a slow burn…but it kept me hooked.
Amie's Book Reviews
RINGS OF PASSAGE: A Time Travel Novel with Richard III by Karla Tipton

* I received a free ebook copy of RINGS OF PASSAGE from the author in exchange for an honest review. *

Wow! The action starts immediately in this book.

Anise Wynford starts her day at a farmhouse in Massachusetts, then somehow she finds herself in the middle of a medieval battlefield astride a horse and wearing a suit of armor.

"In horror, Anise watched a battleaxe hack into the skull of an unhorsed knight. His blood, bone and
Jeannie Zelos
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rings of Passage, A Time Travel Novel with Richard III, Karla Tipton

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
Genre: Romance, Sci-fi and fantasy

This reminded me a bit of the Susanna Kearslsey novels I used to enjoy. Its a solid read, fun and well planned and I liked the characters – always love some good Bad people in a book, and there’s plenty here. The foray into the past was fun and I felt as is I was there with Anise. Sometimes it feels too much as if its playacting – but here I really felt as i
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I'm going to keep this short but sweet.

This book was very well done! Seriously, Tipton, I haven't seen many people try to do a historical retelling of Richard III and include time travel in there. It was brilliantly written too!

Who knew a ring could make reek such havoc?
Anise had no idea that trying to find her biological father would take her on an adventure of a lifetime.
Anise, while looking at the country farm her father left to her in his will, she finds a ring.
Hearing noise and being
Myla
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wizards. Magic. History. Time travel. Romance.

When Karla Tipton started talking about her novel during one of the workshops at the San Diego Writer's Conference, I knew this was a book I had to read. I just didn't know how emotionally invested I would become.

She turned my view of King Richard III in Shakespeare's view as a malevolent and power-hungry mongrel to a regal king driven by passion and the need to better his country and this was one character I fell in love with. Anise certainly was
Fulluri
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine that you are a woman who is big into medieval romances and you actually meet one of your romance heroes through time travel ("Nineteen and ninety-one?" He was astounded. "Nearly five hundred years from this day you were born?")! Well that is exactly what happens to Anise, the heroine of the novel. A lot of books portray King Richard III as a villain or at least as someone extremely cold, but Karla's Richard III is the kind of man who most women, if not all, would fall head over heels in ...more
Cara Bristol
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When American actress Anise Wynford discovers a magical ring forged by a great Welsh wizard, she is thrust back into the Middle Ages where she meets King Richard III of England. She’s immediately plunged into the middle of political machinations between the Plantagenets and the Tudors, but what complicates her situation the most is that she falls in love with the king. Contrary to the way William Shakespeare painted him in the Tragedy of Richard III, he’s a kind, gentle man of great conscience. ...more
Marissa
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Copy for Review

Anise Wynford is an actress who is current in Shakespeare’s Richard III when she stumbles down a flight of steps where she wakes up no longer in 21st century Massachusetts but in the middle of battlefield for the fight of being King.

When she wakes up in a middle of a forest having no idea how she gotten there, a knight in white comes to her rescue. But he is not an ordinary, he is King Richard III who takes her home and is rather badly portrayed by Shakespeare’s play.

As the
Christine Black
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karla Tipton writes a fascinating time-travel featuring Richard III and a modern day woman.

Anise meets and falls for the king shortly before the battle of Bosworth. All the major players of the day are featured. Lord Stanley, Margaret Beaufort, Henry Tudor, Lovell, etc.

Accusations of witchcraft give authenticity to the paranormal twist and with a rogue wizard on the loose, we are transported with Anise to a world on the brink of change. Will the course of history be altered or is Richard doome
Oriflamme
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
John
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed
If you like mystery, time travel, romance and some history you will love this novel. It's an interesting read that makes you wanting more, great job and kudos to the author Karla Tipton. So that someone else can enjoy this I will be paying it forward as I do with most my GoodReads win and give this to a friend to enjoy.
Shiv
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the book, which was fast paced and well constructed. There was a lot of research backing the plotline, and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see if Richard escaped his destiny.
Sarahleigh Richardson
I am only 3 chapters in but love the story
linda bilger
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great time travel story

Loved the suspense. Story ended too soon. Want to see more of the couple in modern times with family and friends.
Anne Monteith
This is one of those books that once I started it I kept reading it until it was finished. It’s a historical fantasy where Richard is plunged into the political turmoil of the Plantagents and Tudors. This is a well written novel with a blend of real and fictitious characters caught in a multifarious mix of political intrigue, romance and “magic”. Instead of portraying Richard as the evil, hunchback and possible sexual degenerate she offers an alternate view that makes readers wonder if history w ...more
Rachel Carr
I received this book from a goodreads giveaway.

For me this book was ok. I love this time period in history and I don't mind a supernatural element in a storyline, but the combo of historical figures used in a fictional story just didn't resonate with me. Like others mentioned in their reviews, the book was better than I expected.
Pat Raab
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A blend of history, myth, magic and romance encapsulated in a time travel bubble - what more could one ask for! And there was only one possible way to conclude the story without changing history completely ... I was totally engrossed.
Elizabeth Myles
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a teen, I had my mind warped by reading Sharon Kaye Penneman’s The Sunne in Splendour. I mean this in the nicest way possible – I loved that book! But it left me with a fascination (obsession) with King Richard III that has never entirely gone away. That may be why I enjoyed Rings of Passage so much. I think anyone who likes historical romance with some science fiction/fantasy elements thrown in, will like it, though. It’s well-written and interesting.

I’ll admit the business with the rings co
Yohaved
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very surprising. I think it epitomizes the saying “Don't judge the book by it's cover”. It's a very detailed and well-written time travel slash historical fiction. It's gripping from beginning to end and if I had the chance to unread it so I could read it all over again, just like the first time, I would. This was a treat I did not expect, but very much enjoyed and loved it all the same.
Anne Carlisle
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anise Wynford is playing the king's wife in Shakepeare's play THE TRAGEDY OF RICHARD III at a Massachusetts summer stock theater. The 22-year old falls on the porch step of her dead father's farmhouse after finding a mysterious journal and an ancient gold ring. Suddenly she's in armor and on a bucking horse, in the middle of a medieval battle. She has slipped out of time through the magic of the ring, and next she appears as a mysterious lady in the dream of Richard III, who is suffering from de ...more
Sandra Guerfi
I received this through NetGalley and really wanted to like it a lot more than I wound up doing. Anise is transported back to Richard's reign by a magic ring that she has unwittingly discovered in the house left to her by her father. When they meet both are immediately attracted to each other but how can she tell Richard the truth when she will be called a liar or worse, a witch. Richard is still mourning his belated Queen Anne and is convinced that God is punishing him for being responsible for ...more
Sue Williams
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a time travel story. Anise,a beautiful young woman with an acting background, takes a wrong step off her front porch and ends up in the time of King Richard III. That is a pretty big step so, needless to say, it takes Anise quite awhile to figure out where she is. This is her story, about the myriad of unbelievable things she encounters and the complicated mix of people she meets. When she meets King Richard III she is stunned by his good looks and isn't sure what the proper protocol is ...more
Lauri
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, I'm one of the few people who did not love this book. It was okay, but I just didn't feel like it held my interest. In fact, I considered giving up on it more than one-third of the way in, but I kept hoping it would get better. It did, but it was never great. I liked the premise - historical fiction with a little time travel and sorcery - but Karla Tipton is no Diana Gabaldon. It's not poorly written, although it is a bit confusing at times. Basically, Anise Wynford finds herself sud ...more
Bettye McKee
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
I found nothing to dislike about this historical time-travel paranormal medieval romance. Perhaps it tried to cover too many genres, but hey, if you're writing fiction, go for the whole enchilada. In any event, this author made it work and ended up with an interesting adventure story.

Although the premise of the plot was beyond the realm of possibility, she had her historical facts down pat. So it was like a bonus history lesson about the life and times of King Richard III, a historical figure we
Meaghan
I was really interested in the take on time travel this book would take, and I'm really pleased with the different method. In terms of time travel I ahve not read about any going back to Richard III, and I the ending was something I did not expect but was a lot better than what I thought would happen. I would recommend this book for anyone who is a fan of/ or wants to get into trime travel historical novels.
Tracy
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Well researched and pretty well written. I'll forgive the few gag-me-damsel-in-distress moments because of the detail in the rest of the book. The only flaws I found were the intense amount of historical information she crammed into a few paragraphs every other chapter, and the plot twists were a little hard to follow. Otherwise, a total winner.
Sascz Herrmann
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent first effort

The writing was a bit immature. At first I expected to hate this book, but the subject was compelling enough to keep me going. I just wish Ms. Tipton knew more than one word of Medieval English ("certes", used over and over and over and...) The plot was predictable, but it was a good book for relaxing.
Hope
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started out good, and then got pretty interesting, but at a certain point I got irritated with the characters, and started to lose interest. The ending left me thinking...that's really the ending? I enjoyed getting brushed up on my history though, and thought the author presented an interesting idea of what would a king do if he was presented with his future, would he alter his course?

• I, Richard Plantagenet: The Prequel (The Road From Fotheringhay, #1)
  • Family (The Girl in the Box, #4)
  • Omega (The Girl in the Box, #5)
  • Broken (The Girl in the Box, #6)
  • The Lesson Plan (Lords of Lancashire #1)
  • Hopfellow
  • Penelope and Prince Charming (Nvengaria, #1)
  • Sold To The Kylen Prince
  • Sold To The Prince Of The Meldanians
  • Shifted Fate (The Wolves of Forest Grove, #1)
  • Sold To The Athim Prince
  • The MacKinnon's Bride (The Highland Brides #1)
  • My Kalulu, Prince, King and Slave A Story of Central Africa
  • The Inconvenient Duchess (The Radwells #1)
  • The Virgin Blood Bundle: Complete Series
  • To Defy a Sheikh
  • Papa's Prey
  • Desired By Dragons (Dragon Shifter Mega Bundle)
Karla Tipton cut her literary teeth on gothic romances, Edgar Allan Poe and the vampire soap “Dark Shadows.” Long before there were sparkly vampires roaming through the cultural consciousness, she wrote about ordinary women time traveling through history and falling in love with powerful men of myth and magic.

“Genre-bending” came naturally. Despite publishing industry advice to find a genre and st