Start by marking “Read Me Like A Book” as Want to Read:

Read Me Like A Book

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  1,227 Ratings  ·  261 Reviews

Shouldn't it be her boyfriend, Dylan, who makes her feel this way - not Mi

Published May 14th 2015 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Read Me Like A Book, please sign up.
Honney Bee First of all, I totally agree with you! I also sometimes felt like my thoughts and feelings had been written down, so the whole story already meant a…moreFirst of all, I totally agree with you! I also sometimes felt like my thoughts and feelings had been written down, so the whole story already meant a lot to me!
To your question, I think Miss Murray also liked Ash a lot, but not in the same way, more like a friend. That's maybe why she spent relatively much time with her, but then there was probably always something in Ash's behaviour that reminded her that Ash might have a crush on her.
Maybe Miss Murray also wanted to support her during her process of self-coming out...(less)

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and NetGalley.)

“I want to kiss her neck. I don’t know if I can stop myself.”

This was a YA coming of age story, about a girl who discovers that she likes girls more than boys.

Ash was quite a mixed up character, she didn’t really know what she wanted, and got sucked up in other people’s plans and ideas, even if she didn’t really want to do what they wanted to do.

The storyline
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: family, school, friendship, growing-up, coming-out.

Aww man, I've got the warm fuzzies.

I have admit that I wasn't really feeling it at the beginning. I couldn't settle in to the story. But I stuck with it. And I'm so glad that I did. Because this book is amazing. It is so SO good.

I didn't like Ash very much in the beginning, and while I still didn't love her by the end, she'd definitely grown on me. She's one of the best written teenage characters I have read, and every action rang true.
Maxi
Hoy a la mañana, cuando empecé el libro lo hice pensando que me iba a encontrar un romance lésbico alumna-profesora y es que ¿no les da la sensación de que la sinopsis plantea eso? Ahora lo cierto es que el libro no trata de eso y si lo van a leer buscando ese tipo de relación, van a salir muy decepcionados...
Read Me Like a Book es una historia de autodescubrimiento y de aceptación. De romance hay poco y nada (y a decir verdad, tampoco es la gran cosa) pero sí analiza un par de aspectos interes
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤
i just read the whole book in one sitting.

incredible. no words

Though I think it a tad unhelpful that we were never told what Ash looked like. Made it hard to visualise some of it. I just imagined everything from her point of view, but the teacher was never described either. Nor was Dylan, Luke or Robyn. So that's one thing I would change.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I'm really grumpy at this book bc false advertising. Grrrrrr.
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Such a great LGBT+ book, I really loved the progression of Ash's feelings and identity and the other plot points really fleshed out the book and made it such a great representation of the stresses of teenage life. Ash was so easily to love, and her situation was so realistic, I was amazed! 100% would recommend, especially since I don't see that many lesbian main characters in YA, and that's definitely something I like to see more of, as gay main characters become more prominent too.
Danii
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Honestly, this book just made me angry. (Vague spoilers ahead.)

Ash is a horrible main character, who thinks and acts like a child. She's supposed to be 17 and in sixth-form, but this book honestly feels like it was written about a 13 year old. I don't know what school this author attended, but at least in my experience, people in sixth form want to be there. You have to get certain grades to get in, and you pick out three or four subjects that you love and want to study further. Ash's experience
Abi Ainley
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this book 4 stars but the more I think about it, the more I believe it needs 5 stars just for what it's managed to do through the use of relatable characters and fabulously quirky writing. "What the heck has it done?" I hear you ask. Well, nothing short of everything we've all been asking YA books to do for a long time...
-It accurately portrayed the feelings of realising that you like the same sex. (That's how I - and I'm pretty sure most people - found out. It was like going
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Ashleigh Walker is in love. You know the feeling - that intense, heart-racing, all-consuming emotion that can only come with first love. It's enough to stop her worrying about bad grades at college. Enough to distract her from her parents' marriage troubles. There's just one thing bothering her . . .

Shouldn't it be her boyfriend, Dylan, who makes her feel this way - not Miss Murray, her English teacher?

This was kind of a nice book about one girl’s experience of firstly realising she likes girls
Evelyn Torres
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Decepcion total este libro, por lo que, claramente va a estar lleno de spoilers esta reseña y queda en cada uno leerla o no.

Cuando lei la sinopsis de este libro me parecio muy interesante, una chica que se enamora de su profesora de literatura, mientras sale con Dylan, un chico que conocio recientemente. Realmente me parecia interesante porque no sabia que iba a pasar o como lo iba a tratar la autora, pero sinceramente esta llena de NO, NO, NO esta historia.

Empezando por el supuesto novio de l
Tilly Booth
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to say that I did not enjoy this beautiful looking book. I picked this book up because LOOK AT THAT STUNNING COVER. I read the blurb and it sounded okay. I liked the way it sounded but and I decided that it was either going to amazing or terrible.

A young girl is in love with her new boyfriend. Then she starts to get feelings for her female, school teacher, Miss Murray.

I did not like the characters in this book. I didn't connect with any of the characters and I really, really wanted to.
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia

Reseñado en mi blog Nanny Books

Hay tanto que decir, que me he tomado mi tiempo para digerir esta lectura. No he querido venir corriendo a contarles qué me ha parecido, me he tomado un buen rato, pues quería ver qué tanto era hype y cuanto calidad narrativa. Así que prepárate para una reseña inusualmente larga.

Hay libros que no aguantan una narración en primera persona, las tramas son ligeras y los personajes solo siguen un guión de niños de primaria. Generalmente, el problema reside en que la na
Cynthia
READ ME LIKE A BOOK is a quick, easy read that will leave you smiling.

Ash has just turned 17, and she’s managed to find a new boyfriend, Dylan. Dylan is okay, but Ash finds herself thinking about Miss Murray, her new English teacher, more and more, as her life feels like it’s starting to fall apart: her parents won’t stop fighting, until eventually they decide to break up and her dad moves out, and everything seems to be going wrong with Dylan as well. But Miss Murray is there for her throughout
Rhian Ivory
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ash has a lot on her plate – warring parents, changeable feelings towards her new boyfriend Dylan, college work piling up, verbal warnings issued and to top it all a new English teacher to get used to. Her life is dominated by the very strong presence of her best friend Cat; house parties with her other close friend Luke and dates with Dylan after which she’s left with strange and unexpected feelings. So there’s definitely no time in her busy schedule for reading Wuthering Heights but the new En ...more
Kelsey van Dillen
The coming-out part is wonderful, I really liked it. The rest of the story, not so much. The writing was quite distant. Emotions and feelings of happiness were not coming through. Between Dylan and Ash things are sooo weird and a lot of things that take place in the book have no value for the story whatsoever. The ending was great though. And the cover too, I like the contrast between the colorful graffiti and the monochrome girl.
Lena Maria
This was definitely a cute short story between all my fantasy reads. I really enjoyed it!
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
This was a really good story about a girl who is coming to terms with her inner sexuality.
It was honestly beautiful at times.
The story also faces real life issues like a child dealing with their parents split.
It was raw and realistic.
I definitely recommend.
Gretel
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary-ya
Leah
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2016
Meh. This was just a meh kind of book for me. I waited ages to read it, having heard such good things, but it just seemed to be missing some kind of spark. I liked Ashleigh and was intrigued by the whole fancying her teacher thing, but it never actually went anywhere. It wasn't controversial or any thing, and you could even go so far as to say it was just in Ashleigh's head as there was no solid proof it was a two way street.

*shrugs* I don't really have a lot to say about it, really.
Lisa
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The idea of this book is good. Really, it is but the actual story isn't.. at least in my opinion.
Sure, it covers a range of issues such as dealing with your sexuality, teenage pregnancy, relationships, parents, friendships, crushes on teachers ect. But it just tried to fit too much in..
Also, for most of the story the main character was really quite annoying and superficial.
I actually physically threw this book on the floor at one point because I was that annoyed with it.
Wendy Darling
Book 4 four GLBT Book Month. Not as squicky as it sounds (crush is handled responsibly), but still not quite a standout in terms of plot or characterization or writing, either. Everything pretty much is and turns out as you'd expect.

Best handed to a teen on the younger end of the YA spectrum, particularly kids who might be in search of positive representation.

Review copy from the publisher.
Becky
This is an enjoyable book that feels like an old school teen problem novel: divorce, pregnancy scare, teacher crush, coming out. These all dealt with more or less equally. Though the teacher crush is marketed as being the main plot point, it isn't really.
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
4.5. So brilliant. I wish there could have been a way for my younger self to read this.
Lauren (My Expanding Bookshelf)
Read Me Like a Book is a nice read revolving around a girl discovering that she may be attracted to girls, and her English teacher to be exact. It is a very thoughtful, quick and simple read.

Read Me Like a Book is set during Ash's final year of sixth form college. So, of course, it's the perfect setting for teenagers to relate to. Especially considering all the other obstacles that teenagers, such as Ash, potentially face at this time of their life. There is nothing too over the top about the pl
Kirsty
This story is the coming out story of Ashleigh. Ashleigh has been having a tough time at home as she's living with her parents as their marriage falls apart. As a result she's struggling and feeling a bit lost.

I like that the coming out part of this story comes as a surprise to even the main character and out of nowhere. Ashleigh assumes she is straight and as a consequence starts a new relationship with a boy. She only questions it when things with him don't go well when he starts treating her
Kate
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I usually avoid books with a teacher student theme to them and when I read the blurb of this book I was tempted to skip it. I'm so glad I didn't, this isn't about a relationship between a student and her teacher. It's a lovely coming of age story about a girl struggling with different elements of her life. Friendship issues, parents who are fighting and her growing crush.

The feelings Ashleigh develops for her english teacher are what force her to question her sexuality. Why does she feel for her
✟Roxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche) ☠
⚢⚢⚢⚢ 4 'Be True To You' Stars

This was such a beautiful book, inside and out (just look at this gorgeous cover art) I could of done with having this book years ago!
Here we have our wonderful MC Ashleigh who is on a journey of self-discovery in the world of love. When things start to fall flat with her current boyfriend she turns to her teacher Miss Murray for help and support...little did Ashleigh know that friendship would turn into love.

A wonderful 'coming-out' story split into 3 sections fol
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Read Me Like a Book reminded me a bit of Looking for Alibrandi in tone. Ashleigh’s self-absorbed in a truly teen way, and she makes a lot of bad decisions. There’s a lot to like here, but the book is burdened by poor writing.

The characterization is decent, but not great. It’s a fairly plotless contemporary, but I found it a pretty quick read, especially while my other reads were big and dense. I did like the handling of the f/f teacher/student relationship, something I was worried about. (view s
Isobel Radakovic
I am always looking to discover and read more diverse books, particularly about LGBTQ+ characters, so when I came across this book, I decided to try it out. I thought the beginning was quite slow, but if you can stick with it, it's worth it. I also didn't really like Ash either, but it's not one of those books where you have to like the main character to be able to like the story. This is a very powerful book, and I already have Kessler's new book to read.
Evelien
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from a friend (you know who you are) because the title just make you want to read this book so badly. It's a typical YA book. It's an easy read and it kind of has a predictable plot but I enjoyed reading it nevertheless!
  • Starring Kitty (Reel Friends, #1)
  • All of the Above
  • Deep Water
  • Me and Mr J
  • This Is Not a Love Story
  • Remix
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • The Baby
  • Nightwanderers
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Dirty London
  • Drop
  • Air (Blue, #2)
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Crow Moon (Crow Moon, #1)
  • Honey Girl (Honey Girl, #1)
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • Fashion Assassin (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #2)
Liz Kessler is the author of three novels about Philippa Fisher as well as the NEW YORK TIMES best-selling Emily Windsnap series. She lives in Manchester, England.
More about Liz Kessler

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
  • The Temptation of Adam: A Novel
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
  • Love, Life, and the List
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“If you looked round the rooms, you wouldn't think there was anything missing. But it's like one of those Spot the difference cartoons in a puzzle book. The changes are so subtle, yet glaringly obvious once you've seen them. A photo missing here, a cup there. A heart a bit more broken than it was before.” 23 likes
“It's all very well going round with two fingers stuck up at the world, but what happens when the world turns round and sticks them back up at you?
The world's a lot bigger than I am.”
20 likes