Start by marking “Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)

Pale Queen Rising

(Pale Queen #1)

As the royal assassin, Claire is used to moving between the mortal world and the Winter Kingdom. When the queen commands her to kill, Claire does the job and doesn’t ask questions. Her deadly skills and loyalty are soon tested when Claire is sent to the Immortal Circus, one of the many places where “Dream” is harvested from the imaginings of mortals. There she must find th

Published October 1st 2015 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Pale Queen Rising, please sign up.
Yvonne I am about halfway through the book. It took a while to get through the first couple of chapters because it was fairly slow. But it's picking up now…moreI am about halfway through the book. It took a while to get through the first couple of chapters because it was fairly slow. But it's picking up now and there are several interesting characters and interesting twists. There's enough mystery to make you want to know the backstory NOW.(less)

Emma
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Two solid mehs.

The story was decent but characters were cardboard. The main character in particular was bad. She was very Mary Suey and contrived. Her crush on a damsel in distress felt juvenile and tumblrina and edgy for the sake of being edgy. Meh! Her toughness felt much the same. The only truly tasty tidbit was Kingston and he's a bit character.

This is on the far juvenile end of young adult, yet the language and sex make it rather inaccessible to the very young, in my opinion. I'm not sure w
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Claire is an assassin for the Faerie Queen, Mab. She's good at killing things, but when the supply of Dream to the winter court is threatened, Mab orders Claire to become an investigator instead. Her detective work leads her to a singer named Roxie who signed a faerie contract with a new player in the Dream market. Claire eventually tracks down this agent who claims that "the Pale Queen" will rise. It seems the series will be focused on what that means.

I was out of audiobooks again and picked th
Carrie Gulledge
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It’s funny. Kids in the real world think monsters come from the closet or under the bed. Which I suppose is true. Mostly. But the fact is, monsters can come from anywhere with a flat surface. We just need a door, and if it’s a flat plane, it can be a door.
I received Pale Queen Rising as part of Amazon’s Kindle First program. I was truly excited, because Fantasy novels have been missing from t
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Kindle First

Claire is a royal assassin to Mab the Winter Queen of Fairy. While Claire herself is human, she’s been trained by a sadistic Fae, so she’s very good at what she does. When the supply of Dream is interrupted, Mab sends Claire to find out why and take out whoever is doing it. However, Claire is no investigator; she’s a weapon. However, she does her best to figure it all out before Dream runs out and the Pale Queen rises.

There’s not a lot of substance to this story. Clair
Bad Cookie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy through Goodreads First Reads giveaways.

I just couldn't get into this book. It did seem to get a little more interesting towards the end, but it was too little, too late. Most importantly, I found myself wondering why I should give a damn about the main character Claire. I just wasn't interested in the mystery of who was stealing the Dream, where she came from or whether or not she would reunite with her real mother. She's not a likable character,so why would I care what
Samira
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-fantasy
What a delightfully debauched, booze-soaked, murderous fairy romp. I really (LIKE REALLY) enjoyed PQR, primarily because it's a book I would've liked to write. That said, I understand other reviewers' criticisms. The plot did meander a bit when I really wanted it to heat up (hence four stars, but hopefully the sequel will hit five). But I didn't mind the waffling because every tangent was a glut of magical diversions... Crystalline winter-realm-denizen's bar! Enchanted weapons to the teeth! Snar ...more
Alaine
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
7% in, I realized I didn't care. The story of a mortal in the court of Queen Mab seems to be overdone considering I just read it in The Iron Fey. I feel like I should be connecting with the main character and I'm not at all. Meh.
John
Jul 11, 2017 added it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to John by: It was free.
I moved this to my "Read" folder just to get it out of my "Currently Reading" folder. I created a new folder just for this book, "Not Good Enough To Finish." There, that's my review.

Sendusia
Let me start off by stating that I have not read anything by A.R. Kahler nor have I heard of him before. I went into Pale Queen Rising with no knowledge of his previous related work, The Immortal Circus: Act One.

I have a soft spot for YA targeted books about faeries, magic and "things mortals are too, well mortal, to see." So this book was right up my alley. I got it as a monthly freebie for being an Amazon Prime member, though I would have probably picked it up to read sometime in the future.

I
Amy
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
Pale Queen Rising is an interesting story, but not very well executed. I had trouble relating to Claire, the sexy assassin, who's narration and dialogue often came across as juvenile. Rather than letting the story unfold naturally through descriptions, the reader is often fed information through Claire's cursory explanations of, "Oh, by the way..." and "Yeah, that..." It felt very blasé and took away from what could have been a well told story. In fact, if it weren't for some of the subject matt ...more
Dianne
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I sit here wondering just how to write a review for this book that won't get me sued!

Have you ever read a book that in less than 24 hour's you've forgotten most of it? That about the only thing you can remember is that the main character is an ass-hat -a supposed kick-ass heroine that is anything but kick-ass? For the life of me I can't even remember if she actually ever really raised a hand. I think all she actually did was talk smack, threaten people and be the worse cliched character I have e
Kris
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not sure what I thought about this book. I almost dropped it completely at the beginning because of how boring I found the main character, Claire. She was cocky, annoying, and full of fantasy cliches on far too many levels. However, I was stuck in many queued lines today with nothing to do and decided to continue on and actually finished the book.

Overall I found it to be a pretty standard urban fantasy with characters that weren't very well fleshed out and plot twists that were pretty obvious. A

Traci
I got this as a kindle first book forever ago, but decided to read the immortal circus series first (by accident, but I'm glad I did since this book goes with that, kind of) and this one just didn't capture my attention like the first series. It was still good, just not what I expected after the first series.
Christie
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was an OK read for me. I felt like the story was a bit disjointed at times, probably because I felt like I was missing something, having not read the the Immortal circus series (will probably go back and try those). The abrupt ending also irritated me (there wasn't any resolution to the story).

Miramira Endevall
Oct 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own-e-book
I got this on KindleFirst through Amazon Prime, which nifty little program has sent me a lot of fun things in the past couple of years. Unfortunately, I just couldn't bring myself to care about this protagonist one teensy-tiny bit, nor did I find the world particularly interesting.
Reina Lee
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Exciting

This is a great page turner...wondering what is going to happen next and where everything leads up to. Glad I took the chance to pick this one up.
Keith Lovell
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A farie tale

Weaves common myths about varies into the
Modern world with a mystery to resolve.. Interesting characters if a bit light on interaction
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
Admittedly, I binge read Immortal Circus a few years back and loved it. Ever since I've stalked A.R. Kahler and have waited for some news reads to grab up. I did, and for a while, these sat in my kindle/audible account until I sat down to craft.

Lo! I have finished Pale Queen Rising, the first in a new series and for those familiar or not with Kahler, this series takes place after the Immortal Circus. If you're not familiar with the story you may want to pick up the prior trilogy, why? Because a
Emerson Jesseler
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Claire is the royal assassin for the Faerie Queen. She is mortal, but lives in a mystical land of perpetual winter. She kills people who threaten the Faerie Queen's domain. Not ordinary people, either. We're talking witches, warlocks, shapeshifters, and the like.

Claire is a great character. She's strong and smart-assed. She goes into danger with courage and fights with ferocity -- we're talking about a professional assassin, after all. Her voice is full of sarcasm and modern idioms that makes a
Emily M. McGuirk
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It helps if you read "The Immortal Circus" series first

I chose this book a long time ago as a First Read, and as I slowly make my way through those books, I was glad I got to this one. I hadn't read "The Immortal Circus" series when I chose this book, I read it by chance later and then realized the connection after rereading the synopsis. You don't have to read that series first, this book is a pretty good stand alone book one in a new series, but I find that backstory helps tremendously; and af
Mary
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Claire is the royal assassin for (and mortal daughter of) faerie Queen Mab. Despite her serious occupation, Claire is brash, sarcastic, rebellious, and self-described as a "gorgeous six-foot bombshell with platinum hair and a penchant for leather" with an "anti-social nature". Her assignments cause Claire to frequently travel between the mortal and faerie worlds. She is tasked by the queen with finding the unsanctioned smuggler of "Dream", a potent euphoric substance from the mortal realm which ...more
Alyssa Kiley
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I got this years ago as a free Kindle First Book, many of the reviews recommend reading the related Immortal Circus series first, but this was free so that's where I started.

I believe these two facts are the most telling: 1. I read it in roughly 24 hours, and 2. I have spent roughly the past hour trying to decide if I care enough to spend the $3 to buy the second book in the series.

It was an interesting premise, I enjoyed the structure of the series' universe, and it was interesting enough thro
Jim
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Full review: https://girlswithguns.org/pale-queen-...

The heroine has a nicely sarcastic approach to life that is endearing, and Kahler has crafted a world with plenty of potential. However, it feels like a lot of that potential was left dangling. For instance, early on, Claire says, “Monsters can come from anywhere with a flat surface.” At least in this book, that intriguing premise is left unexplored. Most of the time, too, Claire is apparently meandering round in the human world, only popping
Veronica Spaeth
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I actually wanted a lot more from this book. I love the premise, and the small hints of a rich world that holds so much potential, but it doesn’t quite make the mark. The writing is a little messy, I had to re-read some parts a few times to try to understand what was being said. The characters were all a bit flat, even though some of them held a lot of potential and I wish they were fleshed out more.

It was a quick, enjoyable read though and I might even pick up the next book in the series when
N.J.
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Following the story since the immortal circus has been fun and entertaining. Keeping me at the edge of of my seat waiting impatiently for the outcome........ and that the major problem with these books. you have to have serious patience because everything seems to be moving so slow. the repetitiveness of the book makes you feel like you keep going around in circles...... sometimes you just want to tell the main character to get on with it and stop repeating the same detail or to not even bother ...more
Jason
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun book

I feel that I just read the first book of a series the author has always thought to write and the the Immortal Circus is this series prequel. Both are great and what's more you don't need to start with the prequel series to read this. In the end, like all good books, everything you need to know it's in this book.

I'm very excited to start book 2 of the series. Because now I need to know what happens and how Claire will deal with the knowledge of ...

Well, ready the book if you really want
The Drowsy Bookworm

An original story with fun elements, a no-bullshit MC and a yummy demon sidekick Eli. Not surprisingly the character I never fully trusted from the beginning turned out to have mischief up their sleeve; other than that I liked the twist and turns the story took. I liked everything about this book though (except for that character). I normally can't stand Amy McFadden as a narrator but she did well here and she did a good job giving each character a different voice/accent. Will be contin
Erisel
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I honestly can’t tell how I feel

At times, the story seemed fascinating. Others, I was constantly going WTF? While the cliffhanger was honestly one of the best I’ve come across the rest of the book completely turned me off. And really, the thing with Roxie and Claire was so much queer baiting, I want to gag. So two stars for the interesting ending and some of the world building but even giving this rating is a reach for me.
Raquel M.
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting Continuation

This is about Vi's daughter Claire and her life as an adult. Mab, Melody, and Kingston made appearances, although I thought there would be a bit more of them.

Well written and distinctively different characters in this one, which made it great. I thought it could of been a bit deeper, but didnt take away from the story. Looking forward to reading the next in this series.
Melissa
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twisted faerie story.

You have to expect sick and twisted when dealing with the faerie Queen's assassin. And we get it in this story. I had the read and listen version and love the narrator. She adds a lot to the story with her snarky tones!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Crimson Pact Volume 1 (The Crimson Pact #1)
  • The Demon Prince (Ars Numina, #2)
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • The Beast of Barcroft
  • The Memory of Fire (The Waking Land, #2)
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • Everliving
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Sin City Goddess (Secret Goddess, #1)
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • Bagmen
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
  • Enemy (On the Bons of Gods #1)
  • Inner Demon (The Asylum Tales #3.3)
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
  • Raphael (Damiano, #3)
Author, circus artist, and full-time wanderer.
I'm a weekly blogger at the YARebels (I'm Friday!). I also, er, do a lot of other things.

Pale Queen (3 books)
  • Cold Dream Dawning (Pale Queen, #2)
  • Black Ice Burning (Pale Queen, #3)
“A true name is bound to your soul, is an aspect of your full being. A true name is true power.” 1 likes
“Kids in the real world think monsters come from the closet or under the bed. Which I suppose is true. Mostly. But the fact is, monsters can come from anywhere with a flat surface. We just need a door, and if it’s a flat plane, it can be a door. Chew on that the next time you’re reading a book about demonic possession. Pages are flat planes, too.” 0 likes