Start by marking “The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love” as Want to Read:
The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love

The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love

Like a good story, successful design is a series of engaging moments structured over time. The User’s Journey will show you how, when, and why to use narrative structure, technique, and principles to ideate, craft, and test a cohesive vision for an engaging outcome. See how a “story first” approach can transform your product, feature, landing page, flow, campaign, content, ...more
Published March 22nd 2016 by Rosenfeld Media

To ask other readers questions about The User's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The User's Journey

Start your review of The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love
Bianca Yvonne
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
I feel a bit of guilt in just giving this just three stars. I thought the content was valuable. The narrative approach to user mapping or user journey maps - adds a lot. It adds a human element to a purchase funnel, it adds a bigger concept and story to an onboarding flow or email campaign. After the first few case studies and different types of stories - it felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. But if it was any shorter, it could've been a blog post. Which doesn't really d ...more
Tomi Ola
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Systems are complex. Human experiences are linear." This quote toward the end sums it up for me. We sense-make the world around us through stories. Appreciate the complexity of your product (website, app, etc.), but weave a linear thread around your complex system. The user is not bothered about the silos in your organisation - they want to complete a task(s), and good stories guarantee a great user experience. Splendid read! ...more
Adrian Howard
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A direct, short (less than 150 pages), and above all practical guide to story telling techniques in product / UX work. The first half gives us a taxonomy stories — Concept (big picture), Origin (how people become customers) & Usage (how people use the product) – a nice way to considering the audience and purpose of the story that you're telling. The second half gives practical tips for discovering, articulating & using stories in your work. Made me think. Recommended. ...more
Eduardo
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple, direct, practical, human. These words are perfect for describing “The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love”. In a very fit structure, Donna Lichaw describes, in a very simple way, how to use narrative structure (stories) for mapping a product.

Considering stories the most natural way for our brain to understand something, she uses this kind of structure to focus on the users, to identify their problems, to oppose to risks for finding the product's value proposition, and
Nina Rogers
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and found it very useful. Loved the images throughout and thought they did a nice job illustrating the concepts. The book dealt with the same theme in different contexts, so perhaps the sense of repetition was unavoidable. Still, I found myself wanting to flip through the pages of the usage chapter because it was so similar to the origin chapter.

I found myself wishing I could be in a room with the author, asking questions to see if I’m framing my software company’s “stories” in
Katie
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful framework for thinking about user interactions throughout their lifecycle with your product.

I've used agile story mapping a la Jeff Patton, and empathy mapping based on customer funnels, but this narrative arc framework adds another dimension that I'm excited to incorporate into my work.

The writing style was easy to read and often made me smile. I could have used more specific examples and case studies - there are still some parts I'm not sure how to apply.

Tip: The images in the Kindl
Wilbert Caba Viñas
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-design
Even when Jamie Levy, one of my favorite UX Strategists out there, says that journey mapping is a waste of time, understanding the process of storytelling, one of humanity's first form of communication tools, gives you a bird eye view of how a product concept or an interaction is being told and experienced from the user's perspective at granular level, plot point by plot point.

When you start thinking as a storyteller, you see stories everywhere. You will also start to apply reverse-engineering t
Sarah Vaughn
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great guide on how and why the use of stories should be woven into your products, including the ways users discover and use them thereafter.

I especially loved the idea that the goal is to make the user the hero of the story, not the product. It's not about what the product can do, it's more about what the users can do with your product. People don't care about your product or your brand, they care about themselves- how is it useful to them in their story.

Once reading this book you will start
Tom L.
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
In this book I found exactly what I expected to find in another book before: Storytelling For User Experience. I stumbled upon this book accidentally when I was sneaking around my colleague's desk looking for a book I borrowed him.

This month I will work on a user journey for our new product, so it was good luck to find it. I read it in few hours at the evening and took few notes and pictures, so tomorrow I can jump on this new challenge with my team.

It was a good refresh of already know concepts
Mike Costanzo
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really fantastic concept/framework that is simple and powerful. Some people may not like the repetition in the application of 'story' to the product design process but I still enjoyed the entire book. I felt it ended a little on the weak side hence the 4-star review but I still highly recommend it for anyone looking to find interesting ways to align management/stakeholders and product/service design teams on what their customers want and how they can improve their offering to meet their needs. ...more
Mike Hales
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Logical, fun and totally applicable

This book came to me at the perfect time. I’m working on a new product that seemingly has no boundaries but reading through this book and starting to apply concept, origin and usage stories to my thinking has helped me to shape, and more importantly, share the overall story of what the product is.
Written with a light touch and imbued with humour, this is both a fun and productive read.
Wish she would visit NZ!
Ioannis Papikas
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
User stories are fundamental for building products that customers love and this book explains in plain words and sentences what they are and where they come from, their own origin story :-)

I totally recommend this book for an intro to user stories, in theoretical level, to get to know all the different stages and how to build them.
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design-and-ux
Informative guide on user journeys, stories and how to work them into your product design process. Mainly web focused case studies, but the concepts in this book are easy to dip into when needed and will provide a good reference for any UXers' library ...more
Andres Moreira
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.

I've been always interested in telling stories, through words and through photography. This book is about designing products using Stories. It tells you exactly what to do, how to do it and how to keep doing the process.

I haven't enjoyed a book on product development as much as this one til now.

Donna is a great wrtier and I hope she can wrote another one :)
Siva Karthikeyan
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book if your building products. It gives insight on different type of stories required at different phases. Gives good understanding woth examples. Worth reading to get insights on human aspects of things.
Jesse Richards
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
An invaluable concept, and one of the only books focusing on it. Having said that, the beginning is valuable and then other parts can be skimmed.

Also, it's weird that someone scribbled on the cover.
Jessica Rensing
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Started off extremely interesting, but then got a bit repetitive.
Zoe Marrich-Simon
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
really informative
Vera
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will write something...I just do not know what yet!
Fon Nkwenti
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read on story mapping and I am quite impressed. The information was very straightforward. The pictures also helped in creating memories about the various concepts. ...more
Maria Lasprilla
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple. I now see stories everywhere at work.
Sam Rye
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, storytelling
Very quick and easy introduction to a storytelling practice with an easy to use framework at its heart. Chunks of the book felt repetitive, so it was quick to consume.
ana
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to like it but I didn’t get to engage with it. It was a three star reading. Not bad, but not impressive
Chris Bowler
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good premise overall. Although a short book, the middle felt a tad long with several chapters in a row covering different types of stories. Each could have been summarized at the end of one chapter.

Apart from that, it's an easy read and an important concept. Telling stories applies to everything we do in Saas, from designing and developing the product, to marketing it, and most importantly, to communicating to (potential) customers how the product can make them better. Whatever their job or go
David Udvardy
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: product-design
Simple, practical, short, to the point book. The technique could be summarised in like an hour max, but still valuable. I could start using it for such tiny things as an email and internal presentation, or later setting an entire vision. Scales pretty well from micro-interactions of a feature to high level concept work. Plus, it helps designers in the sometimes difficult verbal communication with stakeholders, by providing an easy to adapt, ready-made framework.
Bassam AlKharashi
New innovation tool

Storymapping is a great innovation tool not to design apps only but to design & innovate services.
Now, I added a new tool to my innovation box.
Vicky
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for designers and artists to map out your story.
Ninakix
rated it it was ok
May 10, 2016
Josh
Nov 04, 2017
Juliana
Nov 12, 2016
Open thread: ask the author questions and discuss the book with others 2 11 Mar 16, 2016 06:44AM

• Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Just Enough Research
  • Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion
  • The Nuclear Effect: The 6 Pillars of Building a 7+ Figure Online Business
  • Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea

News & Interviews

“The better the story, the more engaged your users will be. Structure is how story engages the human brain” 0 likes