Start by marking “The Doctor's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Doctor's Daughter

The Doctor's Daughter

A prominent psychiatrist's daughter realises insanity can be found much closer to home when she unlocks secrets from the past that threaten to destroy her future.

It’s 1927, women have the right to vote and morals are slackening, but 23 year old Marta Rosenblit is not a typical woman of her time. She has little connection with her elder sisters, her mother has been detained
Published May 21st 2015 (first published May 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor's Daughter

Julie Boon
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was asked by the author herself to read and review The Doctor's Daughter and gladly agreed to review and be a part of the Blog Tour. It's really lovely and very humbling for me when an author contacts you direct after seeing you on Twitter, or hopefully seeing my Blog!!

Before I read it I had a few Twitter conversations with the author and she said that whether or not I liked the book, it will make me mad, glad and sad. It certainly did that!!

The book is mainly based in Vienna and is about a yo
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Doctor's Daughter is the first book I have read by this author.

For some reason I tend not to read many fiction stories set in this sort of time era but i really need to read more as I am obviously missing out.

Right from the start I was really intrigued, we meet two quite different women. Elisa, who from the very beginning seems a force to be reckoned with and Marta, who seems to be quite easily led and faces a few personal issues.

It may be set in the early part of the last century but the a
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review*

"The greater the independence the greater the hysteria"

There were many quotes in here that surprised me but this one stuck to me the most. This was the first book I have read by Vanessa and oh my goodness, it was so good! I don't recommend this to those under 18 because there are topics and situations not suited for them. Also, if you are dealing with depression, this may be a trigger for you.
I was completely blown away by this woman. Honestly, it
Babus Ahmed
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This well-written dark historical mystery tells us about Marta Rosenthal, daughter of renowned psychiatrist Arnold Rosenthal in early nineteenth century Austria. Marta herself is a bright scientist, who yearns to conduct her own studies and be known for work in her own right, she is encouraged by family GP Leopold Kaposi, to plan to branch away from her father. Marta then meets the enigmatic Elise, a doctor, recently qualified from Paris, who has ambitions to further her career in the field of p ...more
Olga Miret
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark tale of a singular time and an empowering friendship I am a psychiatrist, and when I read the plot of this book I could not resist. A book set in Vienna about the early times of psychiatry, and a woman, the daughter of a psychiatrist, trying to develop her own ideas and become independent from her father’s overbearing influence. I had to read it.
The book is fascinating and very well-written. I suspect that somebody without my background might enjoy the story more for what it is, and not t
Joanne
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Doctor's Daughter is an exceptionally well researched novel exploring the early years of psychiatry, friendship, betrayal and mental illness. It gives a fascinating insight into the role of women, particularly intelligent women, in the 1920s. Vanessa Matthews writing is detailed and atmospheric, giving you a real sense of Vienna in the early 20th Century.

Marta is a fascinating though contradictory character. She is very clever with ambitions of running a children's medical facility but has l
Wendy
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Doctor’s Daughter is brimming with secrets and lies, and tackles the subject of abuse in its various guises: mental, physical and power. It’s undeniably suspenseful, and there’s some thunderously excellent prose with sinister stand-out moments.

Since she was a child, Marta Rosenblit had been treated very differently from her sisters and what she accepted to be an ordinary life to her was a fundamentally cruel existence. She’s an otherwise invisible entity, displayed at gatherings where her fa
Celeste Ní raois
Thanks to the author Vanessa Matthews, I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review..........

It’s Austria 1927, women have the right to vote and morals are slackening, but 23 year old Marta Rosenblit is not the typical woman of her time. She has little connection with her elder sisters, her mother has been confined in an asylum since Marta was born. Her father’s friend Dr Leopold Kaposi is keen to help her make her name, but his interest is not purely professional and his motivatio
Linda Hill
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No spoilers review for this interesting and complex novel with author Q+A https://lindasbookbag.wordpress.com/2...
Judith Barrow
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Considering it is a disturbing novel, with themes of manipulation and emotional and mental cruelty it might seem odd to read that I enjoyed The Doctor's Daughter. Yet I did; because I liked the writing style of Vanessa Matthews, because it is so sensitively written, and because of the compelling plot. Although I found it a little slow to begin (there is a lot of introspective internal dialogue) I soon became used to this and was more and more engrossed as the book progressed.

Mainly set in Vienna
Alison
I had really high expectations of this novel having seen some excellent reviews. There is no doubt that Ms Matthews can write, and write well, and this is a very clever story, with some fabulously drawn characters, a wonderful attention to historical detail and a real sense of time and place that lends the novel a real authenticity.
The subject matter is dark in places and the characters are portrayed flaws and all, in an unflinching manner that some may find difficult to read. This wasn’t an iss
Kyle Wendy Skultety (gimmethatbook.com)
This review originally appeared on my blog at www.gimmethatbook.com.

Thanks to the author for offering me this book for review!

Prepare to be immersed in a dark world of offbeat people, misogyny and emotion. Marta is a tortured soul struggling to become her own woman and out from under her father’s thumb. Matthews paints an eerie image of a sheltered and awkward heroine, someone the reader can cheer for and support.

As she hesitantly takes steps toward independence, Marta must learn about love, sex
Jessie Stevens
It’s the 1920’s in Vienna, the women are breaking out of molds, the men aren’t ready for it and the psychologists are analyzing it all. This is truly, “A dark and fascinating historical tale.”

The characters were dark. Very dark. They were dark with anxiety, dark with evil and dark with sadness and loss. Many of them were hard to like, some of them I loved to hate and all of them were dark.

The plot was fascinating, dark people, dark desires and dark motives made for more than a few surprises.

The
Jo Barton
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marta Rosenbilt is the daughter of the prominent psychiatrist, Arnold Rosenbilt. Shaped by her father as his protégé, Marta is quite unconventional for a woman of her time, and in 1927 Vienna, to be unconventional is to incite not just curiosity but also to attract gossip and innuendo. Encouraged by a family friend, Dr Leopold Kaposi, to break away from her father’s stifling influence, Marta tries to become more independent of thought and action. When she has a chance encounter with a young medi ...more
Hemmie Martin
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t normally read historical novels, but I was intrigued by the book blurb offering a dark story. The front cover is also very eye-catching. Although I was expecting a dark story, I didn’t realise what depths this novel would take me to, and it was hard-hitting at times.
Marta is a psychologically disturbed woman, trying to free herself from her domineering father, via a dark and twisted route, as he encounters people along the way with their own devious agendas. Marta encounters Elise, who h
Tony Riches
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Doctor’s Daughter lulls you in to thinking this is a ‘coming of age’ story of Marta, the daughter of the title. In a way it is, although you soon realise her journey of self-discovery is going to be something of a bumpy ride. If the female characters all seem a little innocent, the men are enough to make even the most broad-minded reader raise an eyebrow. I hoped in vain to discover at least one with some redeeming qualities. Dark shadows fall across the page as difficult subjects such as se ...more
Molly
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very engaging story set in the Vienna of the 1920ies. A privileged family has their own hidden secrets. Psychology, dysfunctional families and relationships and coming of age are excellently off set with the wider socio-political and psychological themes of the time. The author portrays the view of the time on women's rights very well. This is a very fascinating and rewarding read. Spellbinding!
Gillian Caulkin
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my what a read this was fabulous. I now feel as if I have lost a friend, Marta has such a troubled life but is strong enough for the fight. I highly recommend this book to anyone. I could have read this book in less than a week if it wasn't for life getting in the way. Vanessa Matthews is one to watch for.
Vanessa Matthews
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Secrets, suspense and shocking plot twists. An excellent debut that keeps you gripped from beginning to end.
Vanessa Matthews
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Retallick