Start by marking “The Only Girl in School” as Want to Read:
The Only Girl in School

The Only Girl in School

When Claire's best friend moves away just before the start of fifth grade, Claire suddenly becomes the only girl in the entire elementary school. While the boys are resentful that she gets a bathroom all to herself, Claire soon sees the lonelier side of things--until a few incidents put her quite literally in the spotlight.
Published January 26th 2016 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Only Girl in School, please sign up.
Jessie No, it is an easy read book. It makes me laugh, and it's a light book.

Shannon Burke
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy came from the publisher for review.
Diversity Rating: 0 – What Diversity?
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 0

Reading has always been a solitary activity for me. As a little girl, my parents never read a book before I did to make sure it was safe for me, nor did they ever read it with me so I could discuss questionable stuff with them. Even when I was in elementary school and my fifth grade class read the entirety of Holes by
Short  Reviews
2.5 stars, but I'm rounding it off to 3 stars because as annoyed as I felt at times, it was still a quick easy read.

I'm not too sure how I felt about The Only Girl in School. I suppose I enjoyed it to an extent, but there were too many things that irritated me and it almost spoiled the whole story for me.

To start off on a good note, the format the author used was interesting.
After her best girlfriend moves away to California, Claire Warren becomes the only girl in her entire school.
And so she s
Kelly Hager
I am a huge fan of Natalie Standiford's and have been since I read her YA novel How to Stay Goodbye in Robot. Lately she's been writing more MG than YA, but they're still amazing. This one is no exception.

I feel so awful for Claire: she's the only girl in her elementary school. (Okay, it's not as bad as it would be if you were the only girl in high school or, even worse, middle school. But still---awkward!)

And it doesn't help that it's the age where most guys treat her like she's got some sort o
Molly
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Barbara
Being one of a kind might be empowering for some individuals, but when fifth grader Claire Warren turns out to be the only girl in her entire school, she feels increasingly isolated. In the past, she and her best friend Bess were able to cope with having all boys as their classmates, but now that Bess has moved to San Francisco, Claire feels rather lost without her, and sends her regular reports about what's been going on. The author's decision to include Claire's letters and not Bess's response ...more
Beth
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4th-grade
This is a cute little story (even if it's a little bit far-fetched). I think 4th and 5th grade girls would especially enjoy it. The fact that the girl tells her story by writing letters to her best friend who has moved away made reading this story pleasurable and authentic.
April Suter
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
how can fifth grade be if you are the only girl in the class? answer...read the book which is easier than surviving fifth grade
Sylvia RB
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really good book for learning how to be the ONLY ONE!
Beth Rodgers
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Only Girl in School' by Natalie Standiford, illustrated by Nathan Durfee, shines a light on one of the biggest fears any young person - or older person, for that matter - can have. Being the only one can sometimes be seen as a gift, in that the person is unique. Yet, the fact that Claire is the only girl in her school, owing to the fact that she lives in a small town and her best girl friend has moved away, puts a spotlight on what she only sees as inadequacies.

Coupled with the fact that sh
Grade 5'S
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
How do you think you would feel if no one liked you and your best friend acted like they didn't know who you are? The book I read is called “The only girl in school” and it’s written by Natalie Standiford. The Genre of this book is Realistic fiction.
Some characters in my book are Claire, Henry, Webby, and Gilbert. This book is broken down into four parts the four parts represent the different seasons of the school year. Here are a few details from each part.
Part 1: Claire's first day of school
Ella
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Claire Warren is the only girl in the ENTIRE elementary school on Foyes Island. Her best friend Bess moves away just before 5th grade, leaving her alone in a school of boys. Her other friend, Henry, ditches her just before the start of school. Claire is feeling positively horrible. And, no kidding, it just gets worse. The gym teacher and other teachers discriminate her for being a girl, Gilbert has a huuuge crush on Claire (eeeew), and Webby, the school bully, won't leave her alone.

I found this
Kristen
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute little read about (as the title clearly states) a girl who is the only girl in school. Claire lives on a tiny island and attends a very small elementary school--and when her best friend moves away, she is LITERALLY the only girl left in her school. There are some perks (a bathroom to herself, getting all the female parts in the school play), but mostly it's no fun at all. The boys are pretty terrible to her (including her former friend Henry), and some of the teachers don't seem ...more
Ms. B
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Claire's best friend Bess moves to San Francisco the summer after fourth grade. That leaves only Henry, Calvin, Gilbert, Webster, Kevin, Zach M., Zach. R. and Claire to make up the entire fifth grade class at Foyes Island Elementary School in Maryland. It's bad enough to be the only girl in her class, but it gets worse; she is the only girl in the entire school! Can Claire survive a school year with all boys? Can she hold her own in rowing, soccer, square dancing and the school play?
Told throug
Chloe C
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was quite a light read. One of the things that I didn't like was the format it was written in. The author used letters Claire (the only girl in the school) wrote to her best friend , to tell the story. What I thought was bad about this was that Bess ( Claire's Best Friend), didn't have reply letters in this book. So it seemed slightly weird when Claire talked about Bess's reply letters. The overall storyline was not that bad when you actually get into it. I think that this book will be ...more
Gail Gauthier
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Claire finds herself the only girl in her school at the beginning of fifth grade. Evidently no one in her town had daughters for years or else they moved out of town. That seemed improbable. The opening scenes in which boys are giving Claire a difficult time and adults are ignoring it were a little disturbing, too."

Excerpt from Original Content.
Elise
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of strong female MCs
The Only Girl in School may seem far-fetched, but it's done well. The island setting is charming and Claire is a likable, strong main character. Only two quibbles--the attempt to spin in some supernatural elements seems a bit out of place, and I feel like the book could have gone deeper into the sexism and stereotypes Claire encounters.
Marian Alvarez
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of Claire Warren being literally the only girl in school. She goes through obstacles like having her Best guy friend avoiding her. The most irritating boy bothering her 24/7. As well as having a boy sneak in the girls bathroom to draw mean things that aren't even true.
Victoria Kimble
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super fun, especially for tomboys.
710Imaan
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great quick read, and it was actually kind of sad. I highly recommend it for people who like (somewhat) realistic fiction.
Ca1t!Y#
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was really good.
Lily
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is so different from her personality trying to figure out what others are feeling is impossible.
Roxie Van
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked that there was a lot of Details and small moments
Jaina Rose
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I wonder what it is about playing with gender in schools.

This isn't the first book I've reviewed this year about someone attending a school with a bunch of classmates of the opposite gender. In fact, Lee Gjertsen Malone's The Last Boy at St. Edith's is almost the exact same story as The Only Girl in School, except with a gender swap - here it's a girl amongst boys, and in the other it's a boy amongst girls.

The thing is, though, that even t
Cornell Poder
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Claire makes history just by going to school. How, well Claire(like the title says)is the ONLY GIRL in school. There has always been two or more girls like the year before, except that Bess her best friend (which was the other girl) had moved away.
You might think Claire has it good, but does she really? As Claire goes through a year that involves BULLYING, and mysteries. She also wants to know why all of a sudden one of her best friends isn't what they seem.
If you enjoy drama that includes sc
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a review of both The Only Girl in School and The Last Boy at St. Edith's.

When I was working in the library, there was one class at the nearby Catholic school in which there was only one female student. When the kids in that class were in fifth grade, I remember commenting to their teacher on what a tough age that was to be without female friends, and how well this particular student seemed to handle her situation. The two books in today's review explore this same set of circumstances, bu
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – Some of the best books I have read have been written in a diary/ letter style. Claire begins by writing a letter to her friend Bess that moved to California. Each chapter is a new letter that she writes to her friend.

I enjoyed getting to learn Claire and her personality. I also liked how the boys in the story were so different from her that it made sense they would all clash. How could they not? Claire ends up being the only girl in her entire school this year, she wouldn’t have
Jessie
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the fiction book The Only Girl in School by Natalie Standiford. Claire, the main character, is a fifth grader who becomes very lonely when her best friend, Bess, moves to a different state. Claire's school only had two girls, and now it is down to one. Throughout the year Claire writes letters to Bess about how hard it is to be alone in school. She describes her lack of connections with the other boys in the school.
Natalie Standiford tells the story in letter form which is unique. It a
Cynthia Daniels
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The author has effectively portrayed Claire and her problems through a series of letters in which she communicates with her best friend, Bess. Bess has moved away to San Francisco, California and leaves Claire living on the East Coast in Foyes Island, Maryland. Claire's predicament is that she is now the only girl in the entire elementary school of boys. Though Claire misses Bess, she keeps her friend abreast of her school predicaments with her written letters. Claire's adventures range from hav ...more
Heidi
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A cute story about a girl who lives on a small island who happens to be the only girl in her whole elementary school, k-4th grade. Her best friend moved to California and all the boys are well being annoying. She feels isolated and left out. This is not helped by the fact that all the boys are boycotting dances and her birthday to actually intentionally make her left out. No one wants to crew for her in the regatta because shes a girl, even though she won last year. Her coach wont let her be cen ...more

• My Dog Is Better Than Your Dog (Crimebiters! #1)
  • Fortune Falls
  • Trouble at Trident Academy
  • The Clueless Girl's Guide to Being a Genius
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • Ex-Boyfriend Material
  • Lumberjanes #15
  • Expeditions, Estimation, and Other Dangerous Pastimes (Claimings, #4)
  • Pete the Cat and the Cool Cat Boogie
  • The Mysterious Moonstone (Key Hunters #1)
  • The Worm Whisperer
  • Princess Ugg Vol. 1
  • Oopsy Daisy (Flower Power, #3)
  • Best Friend Next Door
  • Divided We Fall (Dog Tags, #4)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • School Freezes Over! (Eerie Elementary, #5)
  • Free as a Bird: The Story of Malala
Natalie Standiford, author of "How to Say Goodbye in Robot," "Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters," "The Secret Tree," "Switched at Birthday," "The Boy on the Bridge," and "The Only Girl in School," has written picture books, nonfiction, chapter books, teen novels, an entry in the 39 Clues series, and even horror novels for young adults. Standiford also plays bass in the rock band Tiger Beat, with ...more