Start by marking “The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 2 (Light Novel)” as Want to Read:
The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 2 (Light Novel)

The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 2

(盾の勇者の成り上がり / The Rising of the Shield Hero Novel #2)

Naofumi Iwatani, an uncharismatic Otaku who spends his days on games and manga, suddenly finds himself summoned to a parallel universe! He discovers he is one of four heroes equipped with legendary weapons and tasked with saving the world from its prophesied destruction. As the Shield Hero, the weakest of the heroes, all is not as it seems. Naofumi is soon alone, penniless ...more
Published October 20th 2015 by One Peace Books (first published October 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 2

Emmanuel J
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Self hatred hurts others

I am thoroughly enjoying the series, I could understand Naofumi's feeling to certain extent. Being mistreated by people that supposedly to protect can and will people wear down. That why I am invested which Naofumi, Raphtalia, and Filo to see where they are heading. The only way to cure self hatred is through service, support, and love ones that cares for you. Self hatred can hurt people even when you don't realize it that why it take time to fully heal from that.
Coyora Dokusho
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find the hero amusing. Also many of the characters are adorable.
Lazybee
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well. I didn't like it. I hate lolita harems in novels.
MC
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume was a basic road travelogue and side-quest story. It was a lot like The Druid of Shannara in it's travelogue format. The difference is that instead of a main and side quests like in Druid, it's all side-quests here.

The good part was the character development for Naofumi and Raphtalia (mostly Naofumi), as well as Filo's introduction. Sure, Filo is annoying at times, especially since I like Raphtalia better, but she is an adorable character, and Naofumi finally begins to process his is
Bivisyani Questibrilia
Woohoo! The next instalment to this series! I really liked the prequel to this book, although I must say it stirred up a whole lot of anger within me. In contrast, this book was a whole lot lighter and seems to create such a positive progress on the characters' lives. From the cover, I believe, you can already see the change in atmosphere—what with Filo's angelic face taking up more than 50% of the illustration—and I really love it!

First of all, I must say how much I love Naofumi's character. In
LiteratureIsLife
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-novel
Read this review (and others) at: https://literatureislife.com/2019/09/...

The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 2 starts off shortly after Volume 1 ended. For people who watched the anime, Volume 2 covers episodes 5 through 8. Despite coming out of his shell a bit and newfound trust in Raphtalia after the end of the previous book, Naofumi is still in a dark place. But this is still the beginning phase of his journey, as Naofumi and his allies rise into becoming true heroes. While Naofumi and Rap
Michael Reyes
For the most part of the book, we hear less and less of the 3 other heroes (and Myne as well).

It mostly chronicles Naofumi's slow leveling progress as well as his money-making schemes as they wait for the next Wave of Calamity to occur.

He gains another ally in Filo, a monster he hatched from an egg he bought from the Slave Trader. Due to Filo's innate nature to pull carriages, Naofumi now has a quicker means to move around while earning more money. He also gains the reputation of being the "Mira
Alexandra Jordanova
Feb 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I only started this because I enjoyed the first 4 episodes of the anime and I wanted to know what happened next because I couldn't wait till next week's episode.

Boy, was it bad. The writing style is awful or should I say nonexistent. The author makes lots of repetitions, lots of unnecessary deviations just to provide useless information; at times when 3+ characters are having a conversation it's hard to discern the person who's talking at the moment. The pacing is terrible as well. As for the p
kurogane shiroikaze
Decent follow up of the initial volume that introduces the 2nd main heroine (or sidekick?) of the Shield Hero. The volume mainly follows up on the persecution the hero continues to face and shows up trying his utter best to make a living despite the hardships he faces.

The climax of the book is when the hero awakens his first "offensive" ability, given his inability to do such thus far and having to rely on the heroines to attack. However it comes with a pretty big price.

Doesn't really match up
John Tiesselune
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, more of the same, I'd say. The casualty with which the protagonist handles slavery is kinda unsettling, making it very difficult to relate; and the other characters are either too friendly or too evil, no shades of grey, when I thought the author might add depth to the setting that was created in the first volume. About the narration: stuff happens with apparently no direction, it feels like it's going nowhere through the whole book and we're actually following the daily life of a NPC. I d ...more
Ashe
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5 than a 4- the story is still good. Naofumi's snarky attitude is refreshing and the parental love is a different pace from the romance typically featured. Though I enjoyed the 2nd volume less than the 1st volume, and will not rush out to buy the physical copies. If I find them used, on sale, or at the library is the only way I will continue to read the light novel.
I enjoy the anime which sways my rating a tad bit. The book is easy to get through quickly. The story has peaked my inte
Eldritch Automaton
Had to drop it. There was no improvement in writing style and the back and forth that was a prevalent issue in the first light novel is exasperated even more here to the point that the entire book is just a slog to get through. I maintain my stance in the first review that fans should stick to the manga as it distills its best parts into a more digestible format while simultaneously cutting out all the erroneous fluff. Once more, only read this series in LN form if you are a die hard fan of Shie ...more
Tomcat
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing reading.

After an ok book, this second is a complete mess. The narrative is slopy (may be due to a poor translation) and the story is not interesting at all. The main character has potential but is ruined by strange choices (lets make a slave of the only one that believes in him and the lets punish a small kid with pain to teach her to obey orders). Not recommended at all.
Al
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book is pretty good. I read the manga and I know the high points but the book really brings out the story. There are more events that happen and I get to know what the main character is thinking. The last story has the viewpoint of Raphtalia. Naofumi seems to be getting better off. He has a much better nickname and he is making money. I just want to keep on reading. This series is so good.
Dylan Ostrander
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this alongside the anime

I love the Shield Hero anime, but I love the books even more. The world and characters get a little more fleshed out than in the anime, which I personally love.
Justin Cox
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun series

A fun series so far. Entertaining characters, good pacing. Although there is an odd error on kindle where random words on pretty much every page have a random space in them. Which is kind of distracting.
MIles Cahill
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot

The story continues and to be honest I see a lot of the character in my daily life because the of the ups and downs and the cleaning up after someone else after they make a wrong decision. But I have to see 👀 how the story unfolds in the next book.
David Anthony Beard
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I cannot wait for more.

The hero is on agrand adventure. He pick up a new companion. While everythng is going good, our hero finds himself cleaning up after the other heroes who still think they are playing a game. Where will this lead our great hero.
Xeront
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the anime? Then read the novels.

Great novels. Fun to read. Can’t put them down. There are a few digital/editing errors, but it doesn’t diminish from the story.
Sherilyn Renee
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
And now the shipping starts
Michael E.
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Continuation of the series.

Quick read. Great to follow along with the anime or the Manga. This gives more insight into the characters than either of the other two media.
RemyS7
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great
Ardzone
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story

It was fun to read and helped with understanding the characters better, I look forward to reading the next chapter.
Chris
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
This took me a long time. I didn’t like the chocobo very much so I put it down a lot. :)
Naser alsalili
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun reading this volume, but in some events I felt like it was extended more than it’s worth.
But totally I enjoyed reading more of our shield hero
Shawn McLain
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story so far, not thrilled with the ownership of the demi-humans
Lachmann Marcel
Light very light.
But easy to read.
Sherlock
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great chemistry development between the trio!
anthony cl roberts
Another great book

I thought this was a great volume the series gets better and better i hope the upcoming anime is just as good
Jill
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the characters and it's a very unique story. I can't wait for Book 3.

• ログ・ホライズン2 キャメロットの騎士たち (Log Horizon, #2)
  • ダンジョンに出会いを求めるのは間違っているだろうか 7
  • 偽物語 (上) [Nisemonogatari] (Bakemonogatari, #3, Part 1)
  • デスマーチからはじまる異世界狂想曲 6
  • ソードアート・オンライン プログレッシブ 4 [Sōdo Āto Onrain Puroguresshibu 4] (Sword Art Online: Progressive Light Novel, #4)
  • Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: Volume 2
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 3 ゲーマー兄妹の片割れが消えたようですが……?(No Game No Life, #3)

盾の勇者の成り上がり / The Rising of the Shield Hero Novel (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 1 [Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #1]
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 3 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #3)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 4 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #4)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 5 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #5) Novel
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 6 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #6)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 7 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #7)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 8 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #8)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 9