Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes e il Signore della notte” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes e il Signore della notte

Sherlock Holmes e il Signore della notte

(Sherlock Holmes Adventures #2)

È un tetro mattino d’autunno del 1888 e i due coinquilini di Baker Street sono reduci da un’avventura nel Devon, dove il caso della maledizione dei Baskerville ha sfidato i limiti della ragione umana. Certo non possono immaginare, durante la consueta lettura dei giornali, che rivedranno presto la brughiera di quella regione. Sherlock Holmes è scandalizzato dalla notizia ch ...more
Paperback, Il Giallo Mondadori Sherlock #10
Published May 20th 2015 by Mondadori (first published January 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes e il Signore della notte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes e il Signore della notte

Start your review of Sherlock Holmes e il Signore della notte
Mark
A few times on GR I have come across those wonderful reviews where people have had celebrity fights between Jane Austen and Hamlet or Alice in Wonderland and Little Nell etc. They always make me laugh and show me again adn again how clever Goodreads reviewers can be. David Stuart Davies wrote this story in 1992 so long before those reviews began to appear but I am not quite certain whether his novel was an extended ahead of the game celebrity death-match in which Holmes and Dracula slug it out o ...more
Bill Lynas
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to Sherlock Holmes I must admit that I am only really a fan of stories written by Conan Doyle himself. Over many years I have been constantly disappointed by authors attempts to bring the great detective to life. There have occasionally been rare treats, such as Art In The Blood by Bonnie MacBird, but these are few and far between. So here I was setting out to read Sherlock Holmes Vs Dracula in The Tangled Skein after being recommended it (thanks, Rich!) with some trepidation. What ...more
F.R.
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula.

A very brief synopsis that made me wonder how seriously to take this book (though it was a relief after Dombey & Son). Do people really take the ancillary fiction of major characters seriously? (And I know that with Sherlock Holmes there is a lot.) Is this not something I might have seen in a Scooby Doo episode once upon a time? Thinking about it, isn't there actually a film with the same idea?

To be fair the book is a gripping, if undemanding lead. It functions as a se
Mark
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And now I pass on to another thread which I have extricated out of the tangled skein, the mystery of the sobs in the night, of the tear-stained face of Mrs. Barrymore, of the secret journey of the butler to the western lattice window. (The Hound of the Baskervilles, Chapter 9)

It is the autumn of 1888. Following the successful conclusion of the investigation into the affair of the Hound of the Baskervilles, Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson have returned from Dartmoor, little realising that fate will
Ray
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans
Shelves: mystery, swapped
In this case, Holmes and Watson battle Count Dracula and his local minions in London and Dartmoor. The author Davies has a good hand at writing new adventures for the great detective, but this is not one of his (nor Holmes') better outings. It's not even the best version of the Holmes vs. Dracula story I've read (I preferred Loren Estleman's "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula: The Adventure of the Sanguinary Count") . Everyone involved in "The Tangled Skein"-- Holmes, Watson, Van Helsing, even the evi ...more
Jc
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of Holmes pastiches. It reads pretty well, and is never boring, but the Holmes/Watson aspect is rather stilted and seems cut and pasted out of a few Holmes stories. Mostly this is a pastiche of the Bram Stoker Dracula story with Holmes (and some bits from The Hound of the Baskervilles) cut into the plot. A fine airplane read, or somewhere else where concentration is a challenge. I think the attraction might be more for fans of vampire stories (though they might view it as more for f ...more
Kati
A supernatural Sherlock Holmes adventure or Sherlock Holmes vs. vampires. I think I would've preferred the story without the paranormal twist, if it were just some clever scheme to make it look like a vampire attack. As it was, the the book was a bit of a disappointment for me. Wonderfully done as are all Big Finish's audio dramas, but the story itself... I mean, how can you take it seriously when they spout, in an overly dramatic voice, "Count Dracula!" LOL
Beth Mason
I kept reading hoping it would be a typical Holmes mystery, yet it turned into a sci-fi book with a paranormal plot. I was disappointed there was no clever explanation/resolve to the story. If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, I wouldn't suggest this book. If you like vampire-centered plots...this would be ok.
Castle
Nov 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
On beyond bad. Read like a not-particularly-good fanfic by a middle-schooler. Violated both Holmes canon and Dracula canon. Made up new rules for killing vampires. Actually gave Dracula a *dwarf servant.* Can you get any more "bad cliche" than that?

Terrible.
Wayne Noble
Not bad, I preferred Estlemans' take on the Holmes/Dracula scenario.
Michael P.
Sherlock Holmes meets Dracula. The concept practically writes itself. Nothing memorable about this book.
Martha
4.5 stars. Interesting worlds colliding! Great fun.
Brittany Farr
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was gathering dust on my bookshelf and I cannot believe I waited ‘til now to read it! I am usually a fan of mystery and detective related books and it is a wonder how I didn’t pick up Sherlock Holmes ‘til now. I believe it may be because of the egoistic male vibe Holmes gives out, hah.

This book is the second book in the series; it talks about Holmes’ encounter with the phantom lady and the infamous Dracula and how Holmes escaped death several times (this shouldn’t be a spoiler alert b
Steven Shinder
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the Big Finish audio adaptation, so I'm not sure whether or not this is better than the novel it's based on. But the narration from Watson really provides a sense of urgency, especially when it gets to the climax. I did read the forward written by Peter Cushing, which gets a mention in a behind the scenes track. And I do agree that this could've been a movie, and it's funny that Cushing wasn't sure whether he'd play Holmes or Van Helsing.
Martin Watts
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Spectral Beast is haunting the moor - and this time it isn't a hound

This is a crossover book combining Sherlock Holmes with characters of another author. A nice touch is the introduction by the late great Peter Cushing who I remember as Holmes from 1968, and doubly qualified by one of his legendary film roles.
Jason Wilson
Sherlock Holmes meets Dracula with a good link to another seemingly supernatural adventure. There is a bit of me that squeaks at he febrile you supernatural in Holmes ; are they compatible ? Well dove though if melodramatic
Yosef Shapiro
This Big Finish Production is many things. It is a sequel to Hound of the Baskerville, in that it features several of the main characters from that story. It is also Holmes Vs. Count Dracula. It is a good but not great story.
Kally Sheng
As good as the original? Not quite but passable

I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Davies did a very decent job, in my humble opinion, recreating the Holmes’s atmospheric plot with Count Dracula thrown in - and why not!
Tatiana Kim
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2020
Sherlock Holmes and Vlad Dracula in one novel! Interesting!
John Purvis
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes and the Tangled Skein” eBook was published in 2016 and was written by David Stuart Davies (http://www.davidstuartdavies.co.uk/home). Mr. Davies has published more than a dozen novels, with this being his sixth Sherlock Holmes novel.

I received a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I categorize this novel as ‘PG’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The novel is set in 1888 London and surrounding areas.

The primary characters are Sherlock Holmes a
Maxine
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a device arrives at 221B Baker Street that was meant to kill him, Sherlock Holmes sets out to investigate. He is captured by an old adversary from an earlier case whom he had long thought dead. At the same time, a woman arrives at Baker Street and tells Watson that Holmes is walking into a trap. Fortunately, Inspector Lestrade shows up right after she leaves to ask for his aid in solving some very strange deaths and he and Watson are able to rescue Holmes.

Lestrade’s case involves some very
Wendy
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio, big-finish
Matthew Kresal
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read quite a few Holmes pastiches in my time, I would rank this amongst the better ones I’ve read. David Stuart Davies has his Holmes and Watson down solidly and indeed he does all elements of the Holmes cannon he brings into play. Davies changes things up a bit by putting the great detective up against Count Dracula himself and, as a weird a combination as that might seem, it actually work rather well. Throughout the book feels like a Holmes tale that features vampires and certain supern ...more
Sarah-Hope
The world can always use another riff on the Sherlock Holmes stories and David Stuart Davies’ Sherlock Holmes and the Tangled Skein is a welcome addition to the genre. Set immediately after Holmes has solved the case of The Hound of the Baskervilles, Tangled Skein opens with a pair of attempts on Holmes’ life, followed closely by a series of deaths that appear to be attributable to vampirism. Luckily, Holmes and Watson bump into that expert of the supernatural, Professor Abraham Van Helsing (ori ...more
Keiran Thegreat
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clever mixture of Conan Doyle and Bram Stoker. The Great Detective confronts Dracula in a sequel to his famous Baskerville adventure. This audio drama is a faithful adaptation of David Stuart Davies' novel. In many ways an excellent Sherlock Holmes story combined with a reasonable Dracula one, very true to the events of Hound of the Baskervilles but quite divergent from the classic Dracula story. The fights with the vampires are exciting and dramatic but lack realism. As always Big Finish have ...more
Kimberly
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

Sherlock Holmes vs Count Dracula. How could anyone pass this up? Well part of me wishes I had and yet I am glad I didn’t. Can you tell I am on the fence about this book?

Written originally in 1992 apparently this is a re-release. Any fan of SH should pick it up just to be sure they have read them all but don’t expect this SH to be what AC Doyle’s originally wrote.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Stacy
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, mystery
This was a really fun read, especially after reading the Hound of the Baskervilles. Quite fun to have Holmes and Dracula in one book! The only weird part for me was that Van Helsing wasn't more involved - it just didn't feel right to have a key Dracula character shunted so far off to the side lines. I understand that it's more of a Sherlock Holmes novel, hence Holmes and Watson are the key players, but it would have been fun for Van Helsing to pop in a bit more often.
Sheri
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I am a lover of all things Sherlock Holmes/John Watson and this book didn't disappoint. Mystery, a bit of the supernatural, calm cool reasoning. Fantastic.

I recommend this book to lovers of mysteries, period pieces and Sherlock Holmes.

*I would like to thank the author/publisher/Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review*
Jen
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sherlock Holmes and the Tangled Skein by David Stuart Davies is another Sherlock pastiche. Some of these are great; some not so much. This one falls somewhere in between.

I simply couldn't resist the Dracula element. Holmes vs Dracula drew me in, and Davies does a decent job with it.

A quick and enjoyable read, but not my favorite in the realm of Holmes and Watson.

NetGalley/Endeavor Press

Mystery/Supernatural. 2007; 2016. Print length: 192 pages.
Haydn Pope
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
haydn42@live.co.uk Another Holmes and Watson story from Stuart Davies, with all the authenticity of Conan Doyle. A rather silly story that stretched credibility to its furthest, but in the end Good, represented by Sherlock Holmes, overcame Evil, Dracula, with the marvellous interplay between Holmes and Watson in between.
A few authors write 'Sherlock Holmes 'stories, but for me Stuart Davies beats them all.

• The Speckled Band
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Final Problem & The Empty House
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Telephone Murder Mystery
  • The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Les Secrets du Kremlin
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon (Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota #1)
  • Black Panther #1
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Abbey School Mystery
  • UNIT: Dominion
  • Spacewarp
  • The Battle of the Tanks: Kursk, 1943
David Stuart Davies was born in 1946. He was a teacher of English before becoming a full-time editor, writer, and playwright. Davies has written extensively about Sherlock Holmes, both fiction and non-fiction. He is the editor of Red Herrings, the monthly in-house publication of the Crime Writers' Association.

Sherlock Holmes Adventures (8 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair