Start by marking “Beautiful Girlhood” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Girlhood

Beautiful Girlhood

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,816 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
This revised 1922 classic offers gentle guidance for preteen and teenage girls on how to become a godly woman. Full of charm and sentiment, it will help mother and daughter establish a comfortable rapport for discussions about building character, friendships, obedience, high ideals, a cheerful spirit, modest dress, a pure heart, and a consecrated life.
Published May 3rd 1999 by Great Expectations (first published January 1st 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Girlhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Girlhood

Jessica
Aug 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
I'm sure this book would have been very helpful to girls in the early 20th century, but not now. I'm a 14 year old girl and I would feel really silly acting the way this book suggests. It's not really Biblical like it claims it's just old fashioned. I mean who honestly would expect girls these days to dress and act like girls from 100 years ago? This book may be helpful to some people, but definitely not me.
Katelyn Buxton
I read this a long, long time ago with my mom and sister for school, and let’s just say, a lot of what I read was lost on me. (I was 7, 8, 9... somewhere in there.) It kind of disgusted me at the time, when I was really rather a tomboy. xD But what I do remember now was some great advice, and I’m glad I read it, even if it was torture to my younger self. :P
junia
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kindred spirits
Shelves: fires-of-sancti
Susan bought this for me for my 20th birthday.
As I read it, I am not only carried away by the beautiful prose and lyrical instruction, but I am also thankful for the wisdom that age carries and passes down to its young.

"I would not chill the warmth and ardor of happy girlhood. What if I do know that the clouds and storms of life are just ahead and that its cares will bend her back and break her heart! Would they be any less if she knew? Soon enough the sorrows and pain will come. Laugh and play
Morgan
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd read this when I was around 11. Even though I'm past the target age, I did still get a lot of worth out of it, and now I'm prepared to use it with my own future daughters.
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
While this book provides an interesting study of early 20th Century ideals, I would definitely take its advice with a grain of salt. Beautiful Girlhood, first published in the 1920's and then edited in the 1990's is popular among homeschool and Christian school girls. I've had a copy since about 1999 and never read it until now. For a book on Christian character for pre-teen and early teen girls, it falls flat, in my opinion. This is mainly due to the fact that scripture references are sparse, o ...more
Bookworm
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Had some good points and lessons; I found it best reading two to three chapters only at a time.
Nickie
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This little treasure is just what I'm needing. I have a desire to start a group for girls and I am finding ideas left and right.

This is a small treasure. Yet I have had ideas for a momschool club come to my mind and I think it's a little early yet for my girls or maybe not. As I prepare myself I'll probably find the times has passed quickly and my girls are ready.

Every character of personality and the development of girlhood into young womanhood is covered.

I wish I could give a copy to all women
Leona Ruth
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young ladies ages 8-15
Recommended to Leona Ruth by: Hannah, Corrie
This was a wonderful book and I highly recommend it. Full of sweet and wholesome short stories, this is a must-read for girls ages 8-15. Some may think that it is old-fashioned, but I, for one, appreciate that aspect of this book.
Dixie Lee
" None of us can afford to be anything but what is good and pure and true!" A great book to read with your growing daughter to help her understand the changes in her body and spirit. Beautifully written.
Susan Callahan
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You think this book is for young ladies. I am 53 and wanted to read this along with my 18 year old daughter.
I learned so much. I was not raised in a Christian home and learned so much from this book.
You are never too old to learn.
What you liked most about this book. 4 22 May 02, 2013 07:01PM
  • Ten Girls Who Made History
  • So Much More
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • The Princess and the Kiss: A Story of God's Gift of Purity
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Sister Wendy on Prayer
  • Stepping Heavenward
  • Mother
  • Her Hand in Marriage
  • What He Must Be …If He Wants to Marry My Daughter
  • The Lost Art of True Beauty: The Set-Apart Girl's Guide to Feminine Grace
  • Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty
  • A Young Woman After God's Own Heart: A Teen's Guide to Friends, Faith, Family, and the Future
  • Praise Her in the Gates
“Womanhood is a wonderful thing. In womankind we find the mothers of the race.There is no man so great, nor none sunk so low, but once he lay a helpless, innocent babe in a woman's arms and was dependent on her love and care for his existence. It is woman who rocks the cradle of the world and holds the first affections of mankind. She possesses a power beyond that of a king on his throne.
...Womanhood stands for all that is pure and clean and noble. She who does not make the world better for having lived in it has failed to be all that a woman should be.”
183 likes
“Home is a little kingdom with rulers, laws, and subjects, each with a part to perform in order that life there shall be perfect.” 7 likes