Start by marking “Where There's Smoke” as Want to Read:
Where There's Smoke

Where There's Smoke

If he can make room in his life and his heart, an isolated medieval history professor might find a real life knight in shining armor.

A terrible breakup in his early thirties left David shying away from relationships. For years he’s been content with his solitary life, finding fulfillment in his career, books, television show marathons, and his cat’s companionship. When Dav
Published June 1st 2015 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Where There's Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where There's Smoke

Gigi
David Waterman, a collage professor, is gun shy about relationships after going through a bad breakup 5 years ago. With his life going basically nowhere, and his ex, Alvin, constantly under foot, he decides a move to a new town where no one knows him and make a start fresh.

One day, not long after his move, David’s cat Astrid is chased up a tree by his neighbor’s yippee dog Mitzy. Big, buff and beautiful firefighter Zach Ford to the rescue! He helps Astrid out of the tree and the two men start a
Meep
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-fun-read

Light, sweet story of cute neighbours. In fact a quote from the book;
Quintessential friendly, helpful, easy-going neighbour nice.
..that's this book.

Zach is one very nice fireman and David is sweetly oblivious to being courted. Mrs Pettifer made me laugh.

I'd have been just as happy if it finished around the 75% mark, to be honest I skimmed the sex it felt a bit as though it was added by obligation rather than being necessary to such a light fluffy tale, but then I know other readers will argue t
Catherine
I love that I always know exactly what I'm getting when I open a new Nico Jaye story - a full-frontal, angst-free, smuff assault that leaves my insides feeling like a great, big marshmallow.

The premise of this story had me hooked from the get-go. Maybe it was because I have a friend that is a university professor in Medieval Studies and Norse mythology like David, or maybe it was because I had to listen to firefighter after firefighter groan and tell me, "we're more than just cats in trees!" wh
Trisha Harrington
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

Where There’s Smoke is an adorable little story. Nico Jaye is a great writer and I love how sweet her stories also are.

David’s sexy new neighbor helps rescue his cat from a tree. He’s attracted to said neighbor, Zach, but after a break up a few years ago, he’s closed himself off from dating. Even though the attraction and connection between him and Zach grows, he feels it’s better not to do anything about it.

Besides, he doesn’t know if Zach is even gay.

Zach is a fireman. When he’s not
Sheri
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can’t resist a Nico Jaye story and I’m perfectly content to have such a weakness. I’ve got a bit of a sweet tooth but I’m fairly picky when it comes to which sweets drain my willpower.
Cake? No thanks.
Fudge? I’ll pass.
Donuts? Gimmie gimmie gimmie! Nico Jaye is my donut in the sweet and sticky book world. Light & fluffy, perfect cast of ingredients, and just the right amount of sugar. I can always count her stories to deliver the right amount of smuff with a lovely HEA.

When a sexy new nei
Amy
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Just the right balance of fluff with a little bit of smut on the side. I enjoyed 40-something "hottie with a body" Zach. He's a firefighter, yum! And then there's David, university professor in his mid-30s who prefers books to sports. The secondary characters are great too! Mrs. Pettifer, Dolly and even Astrid the cat. An all-around great read for a Monday afternoon :)
Ann
I read this so slowly because I just didn't want it to ever end. You are not ever going to pick up better smuff than when you pick up a Nico Jaye story.

I could totally picture both Zach and David so clearly. I really enjoyed picturing Zach repeatedly. He was just so damned charming and I loved reading how he subtly courted his new neighbor David. He was able to pull off the Knight in Shining Armor thing and without taking away David's man card in the process.

The supporting characters were just
Lori
Shelves: 2015, um-authored
This is now sitting on my kindle waiting for me. I'm supposed to be editing though...

Maybe a little editing...then a little peek????

Soooo excited!!

.....and, my peek turned into me devouring the whole damn story. Nico Jaye, queen of smuff strikes again. This is the smuffiest, smuff, ever to be smuffed. Imagine a great big fluffy cloudy. Not a real life one full of water vapour, but a cartoon one that you can pull and wrap around you and snuggle right on down in.

Okay, got that image? Add a hot fi
Nico Jaye
May 21, 2015 marked it as wrote-it-o__o-gasp  ·  (Review from the author)
Part of the Dreamspinner Press 2015 Daily Dose, this story will also be available for individual purchase on June 1st. ^__^
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Perfect Saturday afternoon read with a bit of everything that just makes me happy. Cute, cute, cute!
Susan
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm

Very sweet story about a shy university professor and his neighbor firefighter.

It was adorable and I really liked it. It was a bit too short to give it more stars, but it was a nice read nonetheless.
Justin
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Woop, there it is! Another winner from Nico Jaye.

Lorraine's review and Ann's review pretty much sum it up for me. I'll add that my favorite part was when David turned into a tiger once he made up his mind that he was "ready to live life instead of just making plans”. I loved that so hard!!

Dee Wy
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Writing a short story that's satisfying to the reader is not an easy thing to do and I often think that short stories get penalized rating-wise, well, for being short. This was a very sweet pairing of a bookish professor and a somewhat older firefighter hottie. Really enjoyed it, made me smile often.
Borderstar

I enjoyed this fluffy, sweet story as a short bedtime read. It had characters who were immediately likeable and sooooo cute together – I keep thinking of the word “charming” when I think about them both in fact.

It’s nice that they are slightly older too – with David in his mid-thirties and Zach a little older – it makes a change from all the characters that seem to be in their 20s. David’s obliviousness to the fact that Zach was into him was also very endearing.

..oh and I loved Mrs Pett
Lorraine Lesar
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've decided to award the author the title of "Princess of Smutty Fluffiness" because it is a perfect fit for her and this book. It was so sweet and smutty and I lapped it up, it was absolutely perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon read. David is a shy, nerdy professor and the book is told from his POV. He meets Zach, an older firefighter and after a bit of hesitation, we were given a delightful love story with some really great sub characters (including the cat). There was nothing I didn't like - ...more
Sandra
I think I just contracted The Diabetes. That was disgustingly sweet. And I loved every fucking second of it. I was worried it was gonna be angsty due to David's fear of relationships and his baggage, but he got over that relatively quickly once Zach flashed the sexy six-pack and a sweet smile. I just had a silly grin on my face the entire time these two danced around each other, and could not be happier with the resolution and how it played out. Adorbs!

Won as part of the M/M Romance Group 2015 C
Serena Yates
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015, gay
This is a very cute story! With two men who, at first glance, do not have much in common, I was curious to see what Nico Jaye would do to bring them together. Yes, they are neighbors. And yes, they have the wonderfully eccentric Mrs. Pettifer (also known as the neighborhood busybody) doing her best to make sure they get together. But with David so determined he is uninteresting, boring, and not relationship material, and Zach uncertain about being older than David and not very educated, it did n ...more
Lucy
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.25
Just OMG adorable. David has just moved to the neighborhood and hasn’t met many neighbors yet. He has, however, met Mrs. Pettifer and her barking dog. Said dog immediately scares David’s cat, Astrid, up a tree. And so David gets to meet neighbor Mr. Blue House, otherwise known as “hottie with a body” Zach the gorgeous fireman who promptly gets a twenty foot ladder to save the fearful Astrid. David is an academic who’s former relationship has left bad memories and made him unwilling to get c
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Note: This book was provided to me by the author through the DBML Program in exchange for an honest review.

When medieval history professor David Waterman finally meets his new neighbor, sexy, muscular fireman Zach Ford, he starts to feel the stirrings of a desire he had thought would no longer be a part of his life.

After he broke up with his long-term boyfriend in the Portland area, he took advantage of an opening on the faculty of a university in California, hoping to settle down in a sweet l
V
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story was very nice and cute, it was written for all of us vanilla readers, I loved it !
Maria Rose
This sweet and sexy short novella is the story of Zach and David, new neighbours on the same street who meet when firefighter Zach rescues David's cat. David is a rather shy, somewhat awkward history professor and sees Zach as someone totally out of his league. But while Zach may be the stereotypical athletic fireman, he's looking for the same thing as David - a companion, someone to share things with in hopes of a long lasting relationship. Can they open themselves up to the possibility of find ...more
Veronica of V's Reads
I received a copy via Goodreads' Don't Buy My Love program in exchange for my honest review.

Who doesn't love a man who loves a cat?

This is a sweet and tender M/M romance between men who are mature in years. David's 36 y/o and suffered a horrible break up five years ago--and hasn't had a relationship since. He's starting over in a new town, with a new professorship in medieval history at Cal-Berkeley, and he's just fine. He, and his his domineering cat Astrid, can take on the world.

Turns out, A
Dreamer80
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dbml-reviews
*A free copy of the book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.*
Who said that animals cannot help you to live a happy life? Sometimes they are just keeping you company until the other part of your heart finds the one that completes it.
That’s what Astrid did for her daddy David, college professor. He’s being single for years after his last relationship and he feels a bit too “strange” to find someone that will really like him just for him. Zach is a fireman, hot and sweet at
blub
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A free copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

David Waterman has resigned himself to spinsterhood after a bad breakup five years previous. That is until hunky kind Zach Ford swoops in and saves his cat, whom got herself stuck in a tree. Not wanting to get his hopes up, David isn't sure what to make at Zach neighborly behavior. But with the urging of a friend and help of an elderly lady, David and Zach get the push they need to start something they both want.

This wa
Lisa
I was given a copy of this book free by the author in return for an unbiased review.

A short, cute story about Zach and David. Zach lives next door to David and one day the 2 meet when David's cat, Astrid gets stuck up a tree and Zach rescues her.
David is five years out of a relationship and at first doesnt realize Zach is gay. The 2 become friends and as the book ends, they get together as a couple.
I am not sure how long the story covers but it doesnt seem to be a case of insta love. Zach courts
Anke
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dsp-dd-2015

WTH is the matter with me? This was a perfectly nice, little story with likable characters, no drama, just feel-good. But sadly I found it rather boring and bland. Yes, I know it's just me and not the story. *sigh*
Seeilin
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yeeees! That's why I love Ms Jaye ♥
The best of the best slow-burn romance with a not so perfect narrator who falls in love with the most adorable man ever.
I can't find the right words to describe how much I love this short story - maybe perfect.
Karlijn
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This are the ones I love. Not perfect mc's, just humans in search of love and companion.
Sunny
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
aww...that was adorable :D

3.5, rounded up
Rachel Emily
This was just so sweet and charming! I really loved the characters in this, and loved the story. Gotta love a fireman!
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Where There’s Smoke by Nico Jaye 1 4 Jul 01, 2015 10:34PM

• Rebound (Heartwarming)
  • Carte Blanche
  • September's Tide (Island Tales, #2)
  • Top Me Maybe?
  • Dear Ruth (2017 Advent Calendar Daily - Stocking Stuffers)
  • Genius and the Jock (Men of Holsum College, #7)
  • Lift Me Up
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • The Broken Triangle (The Square Peg, #2)
  • The Tail of a Dog
  • Lightning in a Bottle (Trueblood, #3)
  • If At First You Don't Succeed
  • Gaudete
  • Be a Bad Boy
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Puzzle Me This
  • First Time (Game On, #1.5)
  • Checking Out Love
Nico Jaye is a fan of all things HEA and has dragged her romance collection along for her moves from San Francisco to Los Angeles to Chicago to New York and back. She thinks reading is awesome and loves that she can hang out night after night with crinoline-wearing debutantes, brawny firemen in suspenders, and werewolf shifters with Scottish brogues. An overall feline enthusiast, Nico secretly (or ...more