Start by marking “The Scrivener’s Bones (Alcatraz, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Scrivener’s Bones (Alcatraz, #2)

The Scrivener’s Bones

(Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians #2)

The Scrivener’s Bones is the second action-packed fantasy adventure in the Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians series for young readers by the #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson. These fast-paced and funny novels are now available in deluxe hardcover editions illustrated by Hayley Lazo.

In his second skirmish against the Evil Librarians who rule the world,
Published February 16th 2016 by Starscape (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Scrivener’s Bones, please sign up.
Brian Jones It's all about what you listened to first. I listened to almost the whole first book (Alcatraz vs The Evil Librarians) with the new reader before my l…moreIt's all about what you listened to first. I listened to almost the whole first book (Alcatraz vs The Evil Librarians) with the new reader before my library loan ran out. When I checked it out again I accidentally got the first reader, and I didn't last 5 minutes before I set it aside and waited for the other copy to be available. The second reader (Ramon) is so good at emphasizing how I envision Alcatraz's writings it had me smiling all day long.(less)

Start your review of The Scrivener’s Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
Patrick
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second book in Sanderson's YA series.

I'm listening to these on Audio, and really enjoying them despite the fact that they're only about 6-7 hours long each. Or it might be more fair to say I'm enjoying them *because* they're short and sweet. Bite sized. It's nice to start and audiobook and know I'm not going to be tied to it for a solid month.

This continues in the good tradition of the first book. Exploring the world. More adventure. Good mystery. Forward motion on the main plot. Playful and l
Choko
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with the young at heart at BBB!

...The biggest problem is, the adults have one of the most effective recruitment strategies in the world.
Give them enough time, and they'll turn any kid into one of them....

What can I say? How does one review a book full of hilarity and speaks to the most childlike parts of your heart? I am way too aware of my personal limits to know, that I could do this book no favors with attempts at a review. All i am going to say is, Brandon Sanderso
Evgeny
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
People that read the first book of the series know that our world is in the clutches of the Evil Librarians. They control the flow of information and he who controls the spice information controls the universe. Exactly like the news outlets do. If this is not the proof that the Evil Librarians are real I do not know what is.

Last time the main hero Alcatraz had to infiltrate their stronghold: a downtown library. This time stakes are much higher than that. Can you think of a biggest baddest plac
Helen 2.0
You could be a young boy, wanting to read an adventure story. You could be a young girl, investigating the truth of the Librarian Conspiracy. You could be a serial killer who specializes in reading books, then seeking out the authors and murdering them in horrible ways.

(If you happen to fall into that last category, you should know that my name isn't really Alcatraz Smedry, nor is it Brandon Sanderson. My name is really Garth Nix, and you can find me in Australia. Oh, and I insulted your moth
Robin (Bridge Four)
On sale Sept 7 2016 on Amazon for $2.99

Reading with all my other Sandersontitus friends at Buddies Books & Baubles

Yes this series is Middle Grade and sort of ridiculous but it is awesome. It is like Sanderson’s way to blow off steam, try things that he can’t put into one of his Adult Fantasy’s and stretch that uber creative mind of his.

For Instance:

• All the Smedry’s are named before/after prisons. Hence names like Alcatraz, Lebanon, Attica, Sing and Australia (think about it).

• Every superpower
Dana Ilie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I can't even say that I've read a book for teenagers, it is so cleverly crafted that you love it from start to finish.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers in need of awesomeness.
Once upon a time, there was this guy called Barney Stinson and he read a Brandon Sanderson book and when he was done he was so awestruck that he invented a new word and that word was LEGENDARY.

True story.

PS: If you don't believe how awesome this book is, please see the following fact as stated verbatim in this book:

A lot of nature’s laws, however, are hard-set.
There are many more of these than you might expect. In fact, there are even natural laws relating to this book, my favorite of which is
TS Chan
Aug 2016: Reread with BB&B for the release of The Dark Talent

I think I don't have to keep saying how high my regard is for Brandon Sanderson is anymore. These middle grade books are quite game-changing. The fourth-wall breaking alone was not the reason - it was the approach and how Sanderson made tongue-in-cheek jabs at the writing profession in Alcatraz's voice as the narrator of his own book.

--> Adults are not idiots. Often, in books such as this one, the opposite impression is given. Adults i
Kyle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Silly fun.

There really isn't a lot to say about this book. The story is entertaining. The characters are fun but don't really have any depth. Not really sure they are meant to. I think I would have given it four stars if not for how distracting the author's narration became after a while. I know it's meant to be funny but it really distracts from the pacing of the story after a while. I don't know maybe I'm trying to take the book too seriously or something.

I still enjoyed it enough tha

Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/02/22/s...

No sooner had I finished Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians than I was already picking up the sequel. I might as well admit it: I’m completely addicted.

In book two The Scrivener’s Bones, Alcatraz and the gang are yet again infiltrating a library. But this time, it will be nothing like gaining entry into the downtown local branch. Here, our characters will be heading into arguably the most famous and well-known library in the
Kells Next Read
No suprise on my rating here..It's Brandon Sanderson Duh!!!

This was even better than the first so I'm briskly moving unto Alcatraz versus the Knights of Crystallia

Okay I've started reading it already ( like about an hour ago) but was so caught up in it's awesomeness that I forgot to update my GR page.

Read this series people, it's down right hilarious, wonderful and entertaining.
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is a solid 3.5 stars.

After thoroughly enjoying our first adventure with Alcatraz, my youngest son and I quickly began the sequel; both of us having become fans of this quirky, fun series.

In The Scrivener’s Bones, our hero and friends find themselves with a new mission: infiltrating another library. (Well, if one is fighting evil librarians, they are usual found in libraries, right?) But this time they are heading to the most famous one (arguably) in t
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
The Epic Adventure continues with flare!

The new Gang

First Sentence: So, there I was, slumped in my chair, waiting in a drab airport terminal, munching absently on a bag of stale potato chips.

In all honesty I enjoyed Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians more than this one. I'm not saying this one was bad, but it keeps to the trend set in the first book. With the first book it was new and enchanting - with the second book it became a bit expectant, and that takes some of the magic out of it.

The magic system i
Franco  Santos
3.5: En algunas partes me aburrió, pero en general es una muy buena secuela. Muy entretenida.

The trouble with being different is that people start defining you by what you are instead of by who you are.
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series!!!

Oh, you didn't want to hear that? I'm sorry. You'll just have to forget that I wrote it. There are several convenient ways to do that. I hear hitting yourself on the head with a blunt object can be very effective. You should try using one of Brandon Sanderson's fantasy novels. They're big enough and goodness knows, that's really the only useful thing to do with them.

LOL - DON'T SHOOT ME!! I didn't say that! Brandon did! Or more exactly Alcatraz Smedry

This is nothing
Susan
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2018, ya
4 stars

The Scrivener's Bones by Brandon Sanderson is a hilariously fun book, perfect for middle grade.

It is hilarious, smart and just brilliant!
Ann
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable installment in the "fictional" tales of Alcatraz Smedry. Here, Alcatraz must stomach a flight in a glass aircraft, attempt to rescue members of his family, and take on the Scrivener's Bones. Quite a lot, no? Additionally, Alcatraz must grow as a person, must decide if he wants to assume the leadership role that's been thrust upon him.

I thoroughly enjoyed the second Alcatraz book! The plot was interesting and fast paced, and the new characters were fun and unique. I even found m
Kathryn
I loved the first "Alcatraz" novel--it was so funny, off-beat, original, such a great "voice" and intriguing philosophical ideas. I'm not sure why I wasn't more into this one--perhaps it was just a case of being "mismatched" with wrong book at the wrong time since Tyler still really enjoyed this second book and I see many others did, as well. I still thought it was amusing but it just didn't seem to move fast enough for me--or, perhaps, to go far enough--and I found myself being a little bored r ...more
A.L. Sowards
Read this one to the twins (8 years old) and they loved it just as much as they loved the first one. It involves Alcatraz and his friends going into the Library of Alexandria in search of his father and grandfather. They’re running from a dangerous hunter who is half-man, half-machine, and part evil magic, and they’re at risk from the curators of the library, who can steal their souls if they check out a book. It’s clever and fast-paced, sometimes silly, and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny.
luc
i've heard that when you start reading brandon sanderson's books you cannot stop
let's see if that's true
childrens books never let me down ;)

***

"Laugh when good things happen. Laugh when bad things happen. Laugh when life is so plain boring that you can't find anything amusing about it beyond the fact that it's so utterly unamusing.
Laugh when books come to a close, even if the endings aren't happy"
Shel
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sanderson, B. (2008). Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener’s Bones. New York: Scholastic
Press.

So I know I reviewed the first Alcatraz book a few weeks ago, but what can I say, I enjoyed it. So here’s the second book. This time around, Alcatraz must search for his father and grandfather in the great Library of Alexandria (turns out it wasn’t destroyed, just moved. It’s a conspiracy).

While I will admit to loving this fantasy/science fiction series, I have a very small bone to pick with the
Chelsea
I highly enjoyed this second book. I missed Grandpa Smedry since it was missing for majorly of the book. Which is why Alcatraz along with some new family members, along with Bastille with her mother. Along with that we have more Smedry talents which just seem more and more ridicules. But I love meeting these Oculator's and seeing what there talent really is.

Am also glad to learn that Alcatraz is not as dumb as he seemed at first. He does have his momens were he says stupid things where Bastille
Sanaa
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2014
[5 Stars] This is my favorite book out of the series so far! It was just so good! I adore how clever all the characters are. I adore the way Brandon Sanderson has this entire metafiction aspect to these books. I also really loved the setting of this one. All in all, if you like weird whimsical middle grade fantasy you really need to read this book series.
Taylor Ramirez
Reread review: to come

This book we got new characters and go to the Library of Alexandria to try and find Grandpa Smedry and maybe someone else…It wasn’t as…batshit crazy as the first one. Perhaps because I’m used to the weirdness or Sanderson toned to down for…y’know plot. However, I still enjoyed it!

~Spoilers~

“Dangerous, but unseen. (Kind of like those troublemakers who read fantasy novels.)”—Page 16

Yeah…Hey wait a minute!

“There was a pause. A dreadful, terrible, long annoying, frustrating, de
Kinga
“Laugh when books come to a close, even if the endings aren’t happy.”

Honestly, there’s only a few better feelings than when your tears are falling down to the last pages of the book, and you don’t want it to be over but at the same time you just can’t stop reading… It hurts in such a beautiful way.

Was this particular novel the same? Well, I’m not going to spoil anything for you, so you’ll have to find it out for yourself.

I have no idea how I could love Brandon Sanderson’s novels even more at thi
Kevin Lau
[scrolls through some reviews]

So, like, is no one going to talk about how this is just a higher-stakes version of the first book?

This observation, of course, doesn't reflect on the quality of the book because a second heist to introduce new concepts and characters is still fun to read. I just hope the third book mixes it up a little bit (and from what I hear, it mixes it up a lot). However, this means that the faults and strengths of the first book are still here, even if the execution is a bit
Enzo
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Alcatraz is a really something special. This joins the first book as one of the most enjoyable, fun reading you can ever do. Brandon Sanderson really likes to have fun with Alcatraz
After the first book you figure you have a handle on what could happen. Nooooo, just like the first book surprises are just a page away. Never a dull moment. Alcatraz goes after a second library this time. The most famous library in history. The Great Library of Alexandria!
But there are no Librarians there. What
Sheila Beaumont
This is the hilarious second book in Brandon Sanderson's delightful "Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians" fantasy-adventure series. It had been about five years since I read the first two books, so I've been rereading them before I go on to the rest of the series. These books are great fun for kids, teens, and adults.
Olga
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 - 3.75**
I enjoyed this one very much, but I think the first book was better. This year I haven't read much middle grade and these read so fast and are so much fun. Exactly what I'm looking for when I read middle grade. Looking forward for the next book. 👍
Reese Hogan
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are a lot of fun. I'm reading them aloud to my 8 and 6 year old, and they howl with laughter the entire time. I thought they might have trouble following the secondary world/fantasy genre, especially as how, in typical Sanderson-fashion, there are two completely separate magic systems, but the kids have been able to follow it just fine. It's been a great change from reading the younger kids' books to them.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Alcatraz vs. Scrivener's Bones [Sep 10, 2018] 50 33 Sep 16, 2018 11:16PM
how was the librey of alexandria 18 6 Dec 16, 2015 06:15AM

• Wolfsong (The Coldstone Case Files Book 3)
  • Dragon Dreams (Dragons of Boston Book 1)
  • Kita, Kami, Kamu
  • Dru dan Kisah Lima Kerajaan
  • Gears of Revolution (Mysteries of Cove, #2)
  • Jam Berapa Sekarang...?
  • The Works of George Herbert
  • The Princess and the Lamp (Once Upon a Short Story, #7)
  • Wyprawa Tappiego na Ognistą Wyspę
  • نساء حول الرسول
  • The White Widow's Revenge (Ferals, #3)
  • The Rogue Knight (Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • Dragon Head T03
  • The Unlikely Story of Bennelong and Phillip
  • Sorry Day
  • House of Teeth
  • Fires of Invention (Mysteries of Cove, #1)
  • Wizard for Hire
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians (6 books)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4)
  • The Dark Talent (Alcatraz, #5)
  • Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians: The Worldspire (Alcatraz, #6)