Start by marking “Coffee Cake Days” as Want to Read:
Coffee Cake Days

Coffee Cake Days

Meg has finally graduated and has the time she’s dreamed of for months: time to “sit at the feet of Jesus” and soak up His Word as she seeks what future plans He has for her.

She soon runs into a problem: her family. Unwanted interruptions and household duties tear her away from the time she longs to spend in the Bible. Journey with her as she strives to learn the balance
ebook
Published May 29th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Coffee Cake Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee Cake Days

Start your review of Coffee Cake Days
Amanda Tero
May 21, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-writing
Out of all of the short stories I have written up to this point, “Coffee Cake Days” has by far been the most difficult. Many times, people look up to an author as, “She’s got it all together.” However, as I wrote this story, I went through probably the worst time of selfishness—for example, the very instant I was typing out Meg’s struggle to serve her family, one of my brothers simply asked me to make them some coffee. And I had Meg’s struggle as my own—would I put aside my project and serve him ...more
Willowy Whisper
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING STORY!!! I'll be posting my full review on May 26th, so go to http:/willowywhisper.com to read it!
Karis
I jumped into “Coffee Cake Days” blind, not having read the synopsis, but having heard all great things about the author, Amanda Tero, and I finished it a short while later my whole brain engaged. It was a little frightening as I could see so much of Meg in me. Her viewing her family and chores as distractions from spending time with Jesus. Her memorizing verses about dying to self and serving others while at the same time grumbling about helping her family, only to be convicted by the words she ...more
Victoria Minks
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very short, but very good! I wasn't fond of Meg's character at first, but her change in attitude was wonderful. I appreciated the Biblical message in it and thought it was addressed well. I liked Meg's family--even in the short time you see them they're cute and pleasant. I particularly liked her brother! :) Great read, especially for young ladies or even, I think, mothers.
Bekah
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Amanda Tero and I must say that I really enjoyed it. It was a very quick read, (I read it in one sitting,) but it was a valuable reminder that we need to trust God and obey Him. Sometimes that means we don't get to do what we want, even if that "something" is very good. I.E., like reading your Bible. :)

What I Liked: I could feel Meg's struggle to be selfless, because I think to at least some extent, all of us struggle with being selfless instead of selfish. I know I do!
Alicia Ruggieri
Wow! :-) This refreshing short story brought a genuine smile to my face and a renewed conviction to my heart - and I'm not even the intended audience (young adult). Amanda Tero tells the simple story of Meg, a newly-graduated teenager whose family responsibilities continue to "deprive" her of Bible time. Meg felt like such a real person to me - her struggles and responses are authentic, ringing true throughout the story. It's not too often that I find a great story with engaging, fallible charac ...more
Olivia
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is worth reading (and it won't take very much of your time at all). Meg, newly graduated, is wanting to study God's word more thoroughly. But she can't seem to find the peace and quiet she desires. Her siblings seem to always bother her at the wrong times and she becomes irritated. Reading the passage: "And He said to them all, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will l ...more
Janell R.
Loved this short story!!! It is my favorite of Amanda's works that I have read so far, perhaps because I could relate to the main character so much. The truth that the author relates is clearly portrayed, and really makes me stop and think about my attitude to those around me. My relationship with the Lord many times is proved by my relationship to those around me.
Jesseca Wheaton
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the message in this short story. Very thought provoking!
Kellyn Roth
This is a great short story with a message I need to hear ... although I admit putting aside ANYTHING to read the Bible isn't something I have a problem with. ;)

~Kellyn Roth
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 15-19

This is the best type of story: one that you can see yourself reflected in and which causes you to ask some hard but important questions. In the space of these few short pages, Tero pulled me into Meg’s world and made me feel what she felt.

Meg felt so real, and her struggles quickly draw you in. I found myself getting upset with her and then realizing that I am often guilty of the same mistakes that she is. It was one of those stories. The rest of
Kelsey Bryant
“Coffee Cake Days” was short and sweet with a powerful lesson. The main character, Meg, is fully relatable and even though I’m not the oldest of several siblings, I was able to imagine myself in her position. The principle of servanthood is something that we can all take to heart, no matter our place. I especially loved how the Bible verses that Meg reads teach her the right thing to do. This story was at once both heartwarming and convicting!
Sarah Grace Grzy
Heartfelt, and realistic, this book gives a glimpse into an older sister's heart, as she tries to balance serving her family and spending time with God. If you are looking for something light, short, and profitable to read, this is it!
Galaxy Adventurer
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own, 2015
This was a cute short story.
Faith
A short, but well-rounded and thought-provoking story! :D
Hailey Rose
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Powerful message in this little story.
Darla Damron
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but powerful message. Really makes you look at your own life. What are you doing each day to serve others to show the love of Christ? Or are you selfish and focus on your own desires?
Angie Thompson
This story felt very true-to-life. I've never had quite as much free(?) time on my hands as Meg did, but I can definitely relate to the feeling that life and people are getting in the way of "what God wants me to do", which usually ends up being "what I want to do for God". And I understood her continued resistance to the coffee cake just because she'd been asked for it a lot more than I'd like to admit.

Overall, an important message wrapped in a small package. (Oh, and little Crystal was adorabl
Elizabeth Dragina
Completely relatable and definitely convicting. Now it's my turn to turn these words into an action.

Living is so much harder than believing.
Erika Mathews
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best short stories I've read, this book is both relatable and interesting. I so appreciate Meg's heart for God and desire to know Him, spend her time in His word, and sit at His feet. I relate to her struggles in helping her family vs. spending that time in the Word, and I love how God taught her His purpose for her time. 100% relatable in struggling with "spiritual selfishness."

I highly recommend this book.
R.A.
I loved this!!! <3

Throughout the book, Meg kept reminding me of myself - a good and bad thing!! It's definitely a good thing to do devotions, but God also wants family to be important in our lives!

Thank you for the recipe at the end of this book, Amanda! It's going on the breakfast menu for sometime this week!! ;) I'll always think of this story whenever I make it!

This short story is for any age and I enjoyed it immensely!

Coffee cake anyone? :)
Raechel Lenore
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Good message, easy to read.
I don't necessarily agree with the "chore structure" of so much being up to just one person, but I get the point that was being conveyed. :)
Lexxie
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute :) Loved how the author added a recipe at the end.
Storm
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was a cute story with the good lesson of denying yourself and taking up your cross for Christ Jesus.
Cate
Great book! I loved this one too!
S.G. Willoughby
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was sweet, relatable, and convicting. :)
Hannah Kendrick
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Such a wonderful book! Makes you look at your life and search to see if you are taking up your cross and following Jesus. A great reminder of how we are serving Jesus through the little everyday things
Eliza Noel
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed right now :)
Elisha Andres
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! A must read! This one is a favourite for sure!! :) I loved her writing, it was amazing. Also, her story was great and challenging. Amazing — so glad I bought it!!!
Lisa Blair
A daughter with many siblings learns to deny herself and serve her family.
Christian Readers: Giveaway 5/29-6/5/2015 3 11 Jun 02, 2015 02:17AM
Christian Books -...: Giveaway 5/29-6/5/2015 2 10 May 30, 2015 01:04PM
Christian Books -...: Giveaway 5/29-6/5/2015 2 4 May 30, 2015 01:04PM
Christian Fiction...: Giveaway 5/29-6/5/2015 2 12 May 30, 2015 01:04PM

• Baby Wants Mama
  • Carpe Diem, Illinois (Leo Townsend, #1)
  • I Dreamed You
  • Reborn Babies: Stories From Those That Love Them
  • The First Day of Homeschool
  • Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten
  • I Am Not Esther (I Am Not Esther, #1)
  • Granny's Guide to Off-Grid Living: Lessons from a TV Hillbilly for a Simpler and Happier Life
  • Mama Loves You Always
  • Where the Story Starts
  • Elmo's World: Animals (Sesame Street) (Sesame Street(R) Elmos World(TM))
  • Little Muslimah
  • Family Forever: A Julia Storybook
  • Pond Walk
  • Slow Homeschooling: Essays About Mindful Homeschooling
  • From Prom Queen to Hijabi: My Journey to Faith on a Road Less Traveled
  • Me, Mummy & Mum
  • Where Much Is Given: My life as a daughter, wife, and mother among my people, the FLDS Mormons (FLDS Lady Book 2)
Amanda Tero grew up attending a one room school with her eleven siblings—and loved it! She also fell in love with reading to the point her mom withheld her books to get her to do her chores. That love of reading turned into a love of writing YA fiction.

Amanda is a music teacher by day and a literary guide by night, creating stories that whisk readers off to new eras and introduce them to heroic b