Start by marking “Pretty Girls” as Want to Read:
Pretty Girls

Pretty Girls

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  122,297 ratings  ·  11,766 reviews
#1 internationally bestselling author Karin Slaughter returns with a sophisticated and chilling psychological thriller of dangerous secrets, cold vengeance, and unexpected absolution, in which two estranged sisters must come together to find truth about two harrowing tragedies, twenty years apart, that devastate their lives.

Sisters. Strangers. Survivors.

More than twenty ye
Paperback, Large print, 688 pages
Published September 29th 2015 by William Morrow (first published July 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Girls, please sign up.
Gabriel Durst It is funny that you all want to read murder filled crime thrillers without the actual crime. Don't want to be forced to care about the victims or…moreIt is funny that you all want to read murder filled crime thrillers without the actual crime. Don't want to be forced to care about the victims or know their experience. You should place the same warning you propose on your bibles.

Of course she knew the PC police would be out with their torches and pitchforks. Kudos to Karin for ignoring your delicate sensibilities and challenging the status quo. (less)

Karin Slaughter
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Authors are always asked where they get their ideas, and the truth is that most of the time we don't know. An idea is a weird thing--usually, it's like a grain of sand that your brain worries into a pearl. When did the sand start to turn into something shiny and beautiful? No way to know.

WIth PRETTY GIRLS I actually know when I got the idea. Maybe it was somewhere in the back of my brain all along, but I actually woke up from a dream and had the idea firmly in my head (okay, that doesn't tell yo
Deanna
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
In 1991 Julia Carroll disappeared. Her body was never found. In the following years the family coped in very different ways. The mother while forever quietly grieving, moved on and made a new life for herself. The father spent years looking for any clue as to what happened. Sisters Claire and Lydia grieved in very different ways and were estranged having not spoken in many years. Now over twenty years later, there has been another disappearance of a teenage girl and a murder of a middle-aged man ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
My reaction to learning a new book was out by one of my favorite authors.

A new Karin Slaughter!!!!!!!!

My reaction after reading this book.

I love this author. I fangirl so hard over her Grant County/Will Trent books so much that if I go anywhere that has them I must be restrained from recommending that people read them. Yes, Library ladies I will try and behave.
But this one. Not.
It didn't even feel like it was written by the same author that I love.

It starts off with Claire Scott. She is a typic
Chelsea Humphrey
I just want to start by saying I don't want to list any spoilers here; I think this book was so powerful that I would hate to discourage someone from reading it because I took away from their experience before even beginning the book.

Wow! This book was heavy. I just can't think of a better word to sum up how I feel after finishing this. I'm glad I spaced it out instead of devouring it like I wanted to initially. I've seen many people torn on this book and I understand why; it is EXTREMELY graphi
Mandy
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so damn freaking spectacular that I don't even know where to start. This has climbed to the top of my list as my favorite psychological thriller ever. This tops Dark Places and That Night and I never thought that would happen! For any book to triumph over those is a win for me :) although they are still right behind this book.

I've never read a book like this. There are so many twists and turns a race car driver would have trouble navigating. I literally cannot stop thinking about a
Emma Giordano
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 stars. This book truly blew me away. I was not a huge fan of the story in the beginning but once it picked up, I could not put it down.

CW: murder, violence, gore, torture, rape, assault

This novel is straight up disturbing and horrifying. I don’t believe I have ever read a more graphic and chilling novel. As someone who spends a decent amount of time listening to readings of “dark web stories” and other horror stories on YouTube and scrolling through reddit threads like /letsnotmeet and /nosl
Will Byrnes
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
The world stops for you when you’re pretty. That’s why women spend billions on crap for their faces. Their whole life, they’re the center of attention. People want to be around them just because they’re attractive. Their jokes are funnier. Their lives are better.
Well, there might be some downsides. Pretty Girls is a white-knuckle thriller that will keep you turning the pages long after you should really have gone to sleep. Do not read this while on a train. You will miss your stop.

The story
Candace
Check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

Wow! This was one dark and disturbing story. I love dark reads, but this was pretty gruesome for me at times. I was at the edge of my seat from start to finish with this one. I even had nightmares about this book. As I start to write this review, just thinking about it is giving me the chills. It was just that messed up.

When Claire Scott is widowed by her wealthy, seemingly perfect husband, she is left to pick up the pieces. With the FBI and
Aestas Book Blog
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ::::

HOLY HELL. So, I just spent the last 2 days reading this awesome book. It went waaaaaay the freaking hell outside of my "usual" reading preferences. The genre is more of a crime thriller (no romance) which I almost never read but this particular blurb really grabbed me. So I opened the book. By the end of the prologue, I had CHILLS running through me and tears in my eyes.... So, I had to read it!!! And honestly I loved it!!

But you guys, it is NOT for the faint
Megan Johnson
What would you do if suddenly everything you thought you knew was ripped away from you and you were left to figure out how to make it all on your own? What if that wasn't all and you were also faced with uncovering the dark and wicked pasts of those you thought you loved?

Karin Slaughter's Pretty Girls asks all of the questions and then answers them in the creepiest way I can imagine. It's been a while since I laid in bed at night hoping that what I had just read doesn't give me nightmares, but t
Katie
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nothing like finishing one of the goriest books I've ever read on what some say is the holiest days of the year. Happy Easter!!!!
Norma * Traveling Sister
Wow! I have never read anything by Karin Slaughter before and I was a little bit apprehensive to start with this particular book because of some of the things I was hearing about the subject matter of this one. I thought it was absolutely one of the best dark, psychological thrillers that I have read! It was an absolutely intense read with shocking twists that had me totally engrossed in every single page I was reading! I could not put this down, it was so good! I am looking forward to reading m ...more
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
So incredibly good!

The shattering of a family as told from the perspective of the remaining members.

Julia goes missing one night at age 19, following an evening out with her college friends to a local bar. Julia's 2 sisters Claire and Lydia, grow up in the shadow of her disappearance and take different paths in their lives.

24 years later her family remains in shambles. A recent, tragic event brings Julia and Lydia back together. Can they finally discover what happened to their sister?

Shockin
Carol
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Brenda
"When you first disappeared, your mother warned me that finding out exactly what happened to you would be worse than never knowing." Oh. How. True.

PRETTY GIRLS is a story about the unexplained disappearance of one missing sister (of three) named Julia, and the devastating after-affects of her loss. It is also a story about a sick and sadistic psychopath who works his evil in despicable ways that are graphically described within these pages which should serve as a warning to those opposed to read

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This book is full of violence and rape so it's not for everyone!

Unpopular opinion but I didn't like this book. I did listen to it as an audiobook which might not have been the best idea.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I've been late to the table as a Karin Slaughter fan, hard to believe as a crime fiction lover. I adored her book Cop Town and was excited to read this new stand alone thriller.

With a missing girl in the news, Claire Scott can’t help but be reminded of her sister, who disappeared twenty years ago in a mystery that was never solved.

But when Claire begins to learn the truth about her sister, nothing will ever be the same.

I found this book to have an interesting plot if somewhat up and down in pace
Luffy
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know you're getting long in the tooth when the book you're reading has a distant past set in 1990. That was the year I joined high school. The past has many treasured memories that I hold dear. But in many ways life was harder than now in societal terms.

Which leads us to this book. Pretty Girls is a story written by the talented Karin Slaughter, and the recurring feelings she conveys to us are full of pathos. But she also does a professional job of thinking of convoluted and complex ways to
Imane
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Dyadic completion,” Paul would’ve told Claire. “The human brain tends to assume that, if there’s a victim, there has to be a villain.”
― Karin Slaughter, Pretty Girls

🌟4.75/5🌟
description

What an incredible book. Dark and suspenseful, it hooked from the very beginning. Karin Slaughter is a master storyteller. This book was raw and gritty and made me cry several times while reading, but I'm so glad that it didn't disappoint, it's definitely one of the best thrillers I have ever read.
kat
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
is karin slaughter ok??
Linda
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've not read anything before by Karin Slaughter. Believe me, this was probably not the one to start with. The subject matter is heavy, heavy, dark, dark.

Ms. Slaughter can give you precise, intricate details of a crime like no other. She makes you feel like you are watching your foot placement as you tread through the crime scene with bated breath. Your brain is filled with such terrible imaginings.

This story focuses on a missing sister from the past and a missing girl of the present. Karin Slau
Elyse Walters
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Before the story begins, there is an inscription by Carl Jung...
"A Particularly Beautiful Woman Is A Source Of Terror"

"Missing teenage girl. White. Middle class. Very Pretty.
No one ever seemed quite as outraged when an ugly woman went missing".
"Tragic, she was so beautiful".

"You were nineteen years old. Legally, you did not belong to us anymore".
"This is what we knew: You were in a bar. You didn't drink any more than usual.
You told your friends that you weren't feeling well and that you were
Brenda
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Construction: I read Chapter i and thought it was a prologue. I read Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 and then there was Chapter ii. I had to stop to look at the construction of this book. I went back to re-read Chapter i then read Chapter ii, and I was just blown away. Chapter ii is a brilliant piece of writing!

Characters: The major characters are two parents with three teenage daughters. Julia, who we met in the Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes novella, goes missing at the age of 19. Father Sam who never gives u
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

CW: This book is incredibly violent and dark. If you don't like gore, I do not recommend this for you. There is also several mentions of rape and violence towards women.

This book was absolutely addicting! I am often disappointed by thrillers, but this one was so good. I loved every twist and turn. This book was raw and gritty and actually scared me. There were even times it brought me to tears. I would say this is one of the best thrillers I've ever read and I definitely wil
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I straight up chucked this book to the side waaaaaaay back in August for daring to mention the two words in the English language I hate the most . . . PUMPKIN SPICE. Seriously people, enough is enough . . .

I mean really, a combo of nutmeg and cinnamon is what will destroy this world. Have you ever watched a cinnamon challenge? A tablespoon of the stuff is enough to murder you. Anyway, now that the season which shall not again be name
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT:'...a new mantra came into her head - barbed wire. Pry bar. A length of chain. A large hook. A sharp hunting knife. A moment of clarity broke through the clouds in her mind. They were close to the end.'

ABOUT THIS BOOK: #1 internationally bestselling author Karin Slaughter returns with a sophisticated and chilling psychological thriller of dangerous secrets, cold vengeance, and unexpected absolution, in which two estranged sisters must come together to find truth about two harrowing trage
Emily May
I didn't dislike this, but I think these days it's pretty hard for me to be shocked by thrillers. My enjoyment of them hinges more on the character development and the way the story is written, which I thought was fairly average when compared to my favourites from the genre - Tana French and Gillian Flynn.

The grittiness, shock tactics and reveals, which many people have praised, left me feeling relatively cold.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
This is the first Karin Slaughter book I have read. Before I read the book did read the short novella Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes that precedes the story in this book and I was quite looking forward to reading the book since the story about a missing girl and the two sisters left behind seemed very interesting.

And, the book was good for around 60% and then it just lost steam and my interest in the book and I felt not the usual feeling I get when the book is starting to get close to the ending, the fe
Melissa
“Tell me you want this.”

Karin Slaughter is one of my favorite authors and has been for years. No one can write a crime novel like her. Imagine my excitement when I saw that she was coming out with a psychological thriller! I had really high expectations going in and she delivered. As always, her writing is exceptional. Be prepared for a dark and disturbing read, that's full of shocking twists.

A family was destroyed by the disappearance of a nineteen-year-old girl. Twenty-four years ago, Julia’
Alex is The Romance Fox
I am a big fan of Karen Slaughter and her Grant County and Will Trent Series are one of my favorite crime/thriller series.

Pretty Girls is one of her standalone books and it was quite a disturbing and sad story.

The chilling prologue pulled me immediately into this story.

What happens when someone in your family disappears and is never found again? That’s what happens to the Carroll family, when their eldest daughter vanishes without a clue, without a reason.
The family is shattered and results in
Rebbie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book might need a trigger warning for those with genuine PTSD because of its brutal violence. Normally I'd steer clear of suggesting that someone might have a hard time with a book, but this one is particularly gruesome and gory.

A lot of people like that sort of thing, but I personally felt overwhelmed beginning around the 30% mark, and it didn't really let up until the end. I didn't have a problem with the violence until that point, but then it just got to be too much, especially because
  • Voices of the Dead
  • Stop & Frisk
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?: A Biography
  • Don't You Cry
  • The Intimate Sex Lives of Famous People
  • The Doll Maker (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #8)
  • Tim Burton's Corpse Bride: An Invitation to the Wedding
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • What She Knew (Jim Clemo #1)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
  • Find Her (Detective D.D. Warren, #8)
  • Broken Promise (Promise Falls, #1)
  • Close to Home
  • The Killer Next Door
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • No One Knows
  • The Night Sister
  • The Stranger
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her eighteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated Cop Town and the instant New York Times bestselling novels Pretty Girls and The Good Daughter. Slaughter is the founder of the Save the Libr ...more
“It's the truth. I'm sorry to be blunt about it, but girls don't like guys who are doormats. Especially pretty girls, because there's no novelty in it. Guys are hitting on them all of the time. They can't walk down the street or order a coffee or stand on a corner without some idiot making a comment about how attractive they are. And the women smile because it's easier than telling them to go fuck themselves. And less dangerous, because if a man rejects a woman, she goes home and cries for a few days. If a woman rejects a man, he can rape and kill her.” 41 likes
“Because I said so." She paused again. "Sweetheart, I know you're an adult, but adults are like vampires. The older ones are much more powerful.” 28 likes