Start by marking “The Unbroken Line” as Want to Read:
The Unbroken Line

The Unbroken Line (A Will Harris Novel #2)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The violence of the past casts a long shadow – a dark legacy with lethal consequences.

When defence lawyer Will Harris is attacked by masked men with a clear message to back off, he has no choice but to listen. If only he knew what they were talking about.

Published June 24th 2015 by Michael Joseph: Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Unbroken Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unbroken Line

Marianne
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The Unbroken Line is the second novel in the Will Harris series by Australian author, Alex Hammond. Life for lawyer Will Harris seems to be back on an even keel: he is recovering from stab wounds heroically acquired; his new law practice is getting off the ground (if only his new partner wasn’t quite so absent); and he has the lovely Eva Mercuri at his side. While his involvement with the Ivanic family is an irritation that needs to be sorted, and he is less than popular with the Police, Will is ...more
Brenda
4.5s

The attack on their way home from dinner was violent and unprovoked – when they disfigured Eva it was immediately personal. Defence lawyer Will Harris and his partner Chris Miller had only had their small law firm operating for a few weeks, and already they were struggling. But Will had no idea why he was attacked, or what the masked men were talking about when they told him to “back off”…

As a favour to his mother who was a judge, Will agreed to defend seventeen year old Saxon, son of a fri
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Unbroken Line is Alex Hammond’s second legal thriller featuring defence lawyer Will Harris, following on from his Ned Kelly Award nominated debut, Blood Witness.

Will is still dealing with both the personal and professional consequences of the events in Blood Witness, when he and girlfriend Eva are brutally attacked by two masked men. They have a message for Will from their anonymous employer - back off. Angry and confused, Will has no idea what the men are referring to, but now he is determi
Kathryn
Not as good as the first in the series - it felt a bit more disjointed and hard to keep track of what was happening, or perhaps I shouldn’t have left it over a year after reading the first one before picking this one up… Or perhaps not the right book at the right time for me. Still loved the flashes of recognisable Melbourne locations.
Lee
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
There’s action galore right from the opening scenes of The Unbroken Line. Will, our hero who is a Melbourne based lawyer, is out with his girlfriend, Eva, when they are attacked. One of their masked assailants warns Will to back off. Will Will (sorry, I just had to do that once) work out who sent the men and which case he has to solve before they attack again?

I received this book via net-galley, and in retrospect I wish I would have known it was a sequel. My advice to everyone will be to do what
Amanda
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-and-proofs
I received an electronic advance copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I must admit that I read this without having read the first Will Harris novel by the author, I recommend against doing this. Read Blood Witness first as it will clarify a few things that I was unsure of in the beginning.

If I hadn’t already been drawn into this book by its Australian setting and the genre I was hooked by the mystery surrounding the opening scenes. Although I predicted couple of the plot points as
A Reader's Heaven

Under siege as his fledgling law firm struggles to get off the ground, Will agrees to defend the troubled son of a family friend. But the case is far from clear-cut, and the ethical boundaries murky. Instead of clawing his way out of trouble, W
Narelle
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Alex Hammond is a Melbourne-based writer and this is his second book in the Will Harris series. It is a legal thriller based in Melbourne. The Unbroken Line captures a mafia element, corruption among those of extreme power, and twists and turns that all thriller readers seek.

Will Harris is a young lawyer on a self-obsessed path to destruction. Although a lawyer, he does a lot of his own investigating and is not afraid of confrontation, violence and pain. There is some romantic interest captured
Jacqui
Memorable Quotes
"What really remained was for Levitt and Huynh to run the calculation of career minus charging a judge's son times the strength of their evidence."

"Really, the law is the worst career for you. You should have been a social worker. You don't have that emotional distance that lawyers require, that protects them from the worst side of it - those blows that hurt the spirit, not the body."
CriminalRepurcussions
Dec 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
The book and the style of writing seems all very familiar. Written in the 3rdPerson but diverting to the currently fashionable little few-word "thoughts" of the 1stPerson in italics(example: page 20) it's tacky, but authors of popular fiction seem determined to write in this way. It doesn't add to their literary credo.
After seeing the publisher's advertising-hype cover note - if you believe publishers' gimmicks claim the same claims with new books, "Australia's answer to John Grisham...Harlen
KarenH
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-book
This was one of a ten book prize pack, won through The Age newspaper earlier this year. Being the second in a series, certain aspects of the story line had carried over from the first. There wasn't much of a recap up front, so I was treading water for the first few pages, but soon after the absence of prior knowledge didn't matter and I enjoyed it for what was; a rollicking legal thriller, set in the familiar streets of Melbourne.
Sare W
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good story with many layers and fast paced writing so it was an easy and enjoyable read. There were lots of characters though (perhaps too many) so I had to pause a few times to refresh on who we were reading about. Loved all the mentions and descriptions of Melbourne - the city became a character in its own right.
Impishfae
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Utterly and pleasantly exhausted after another furiously paced thriller read.

I suspect the author likes to see how much torture he can put his characters through before they disintegrate. Will Harris is not a suave sophisticated James Bond style hero. He ends up in the most murky of situations, just by trying to do the right thing.

The road to hell truly is paved with his good intentions.
Rjurik Davidson
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gritty, intelligent, Australian legal thriller. Hammond's second in the Will Harris series. Sharp, tense, terrifically paced novel. I always like Hammond's urban noir elements, which remind me of the Scandinavian noir wave, including such TV series as The Killing. Really very good.
Andrew Hall
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book after winning a giveaway and I am really glad I did. The pace is bang on and the intrigue Hammond spins throughout has just enough left out to keep you guessing. I will now go back and read the first book and look forward to the next in the Will Harris novels.
Sandi Wallace
Feb 23, 2017
C. J.
May 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Alex Hammond was born in South Africa and emigrated to Australia with his family as a child. He graduated in Law/Arts from Melbourne University and worked for several leading law firms. Although, ultimately, the law didn’t take, he was exposed to many of the superstitions and sects of the profession and found himself fascinated by the culture, passion and grey moral world that lawyers inhabit.
More about Alex Hammond

A Will Harris Novel (2 books)
  • Blood Witness