Start by marking “The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend” as Want to Read:
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  30,269 ratings  ·  6,044 reviews
Once you let a book into your life, the most unexpected things can happen...

Broken Wheel, Iowa, has never seen anyone like Sara, who traveled all the way from Sweden just to meet her pen pal, Amy. When she arrives, however, she finds that Amy's funeral has just ended. Luckily, the townspeople are happy to look after their bewildered tourist—even if they don't understand he
Published January 19th 2016 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published September 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, please sign up.
Judy Holt I really thought this book was filled with under-developed characters and over written explanations. I was unable to bond with any character in this…moreI really thought this book was filled with under-developed characters and over written explanations. I was unable to bond with any character in this book. So, my answer is no it would be a boring choice for a bookclub.(less)

·  30,269 ratings  ·  6,044 reviews

Carmen
Jun 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Jen immediately took a photo of Sara sitting in the window with her book.

"Who the hell wants to watch someone reading?" Grace asked from the doorway of her diner.

EXACTLY. Who the hell wants to read a book about someone reading books?

You could spend the exact same time it takes to read this book on Bookstagram or GR and have the same result. It's all about how great books are and the glory of reading. Who wants to read 394 pages of that!?

This book falls into the same category as The Storied Life
Irena
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book should have come with the big note on its cover that says ''WARNING: SPOILERS INSIDE''.

You see, this book is a book written by a book lover for other booklovers.
And do you know what book lovers like to do? Talk about books. Discuss plot developmets. They often compare one story to another, wondering why the certain character chose one path over the other.

description

Our main character, Sara, is a true bookworm, so it is no wonder that this book is full of references to other books which often ends
Angela M
Although the premise seems a bit odd, stranger things have happened in real life so I just accepted that a young girl from Sweden would travel to a tiny town in Iowa , called Broken Wheel to stay with a woman that she only knew from exchanging letters and books . These letters, at least the ones from from Amy Harris of Broken Wheel to Sara , are interspersed throughout and we learn more about the town and the people who live there as well as about Amy and Sara.

Sara loves books - how can I not l
Megan Johnson
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
What's better than books and a good love story? Let's see...oh yeah, nothing.

Seriously, I'm a sucker when it comes to feel-good love stories, and if you've been following me or this blog for any length of time then you know full and well that books are my absolute weakness. Ever wonder whether I'm at a hopping party on a Friday night? Well don't because I'll go ahead and tell you - I'm curled up with my dog and a blanket on the couch with a good book.

The Readers Of Broken Wheel Recommend was thi
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
There's a lot to love in this novel of Sara, a young, rather plain Swedish bookworm who takes a trip to the small U.S. town of Broken Wheel to visit her older pen pal and fellow book lover, Amy. When Sara arrives, she finds that Amy has died while Sara was en route, but the townspeople urge her to stay in Amy's home anyway and visit with them for the couple of months she had planned.

In many ways the town is as broken as its name:

description
"Broken Wheel was a complete waste of brick, asphalt, and concrete
Esil
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

The Readers of Broken Wheel is ridiculously predictable, superficial, full of improbabilities, at times painfully sentimental and definitely a book that could have used a ruthless editor to shorten it. So let me explain why I gave it 3 stars rather than 2 or less. At its core, the story is an ode to books -- about the love of books and reading -- really, a celebration of obsessive bookishness in a world with a diminishing readership. And for that reason alone, I persevered and didn't toss The Re
Mai
Feb 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was absolute rubbish. 394 pages of stupid observations written in a clumsy and somewhat childish language combined with unbelievable characters. It does mention quite a few books that I would love to read, but since it also reveals the ending of most of these novels, the name-dropping just ended up annoying me. What an utter waste of time.
Diane Barnes
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
There was a TV series in the early 1990's called "Northern Exposure", set in Cicely, Alaska, a small town so off the grid it almost didn't exist. The town was populated by oddballs and eccentrics who used the local bar as a gathering place. Long before Tivo and Netflix entered the picture, I tuned in each week to be a part of their crazy, funny world.

This book is set in Broken Wheel, Iowa, another little town off the grid, populated with oddballs and eccentrics with no place else to go. Along co
Phrynne
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
I am always a pushover for books about books and this one certainly fit the bill! What was even better was that the books mentioned throughout the text were mostly all books we know and love. Harry Potter was in there and Mr Darcy and even Bridget Jones amongst many others.
On the other hand I have a low quirkiness rating and this story was certainly quirky and full of odd characters. Luckily for me it managed to stay just the right side of quirk and never became just silly. I loved the book shop
Julie
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommends by Katarina Bivald is a 2016 Sourcebooks Landmark publication.

What a wonderful feel good story!!

If you love books about books, you will want to try this one.

Amy, from Broken Wheel, Iowa and Sara, from Sweden, are pen pals who share a love of books. When Sara loses her bookstore job, she decides to take Amy up on her invitation to visit Broken Wheel if she ever got the chance.

However, when Sara arrives, she is stunned to learn that Amy has died. But, the
Amalia Gavea
Sara, a young woman from Sweden, arrives in a small town of Iowa, named Broken Wheel. The name of the town is as quirky as its people. She wants to meet Amy, an elderly lady, who has been her pen - pal for quite some time. When an unexpected event changes Sara's plans, she decides to stay in this strange town and share her deep love for books with the residents of Broken Wheel. She shows them that, perhaps, Literature has some solutions to their problems (no matter how big or small), while she s ...more
Fictionophile
Today, in the age of social media and instant communication, letter writing has become antiquated and uncommon. Not that many years ago however it was the norm and many people had ‘pen-pals’, myself included.

This novel is about two women, one young and living in Sweden, one not so young and living in a tiny town in the middle of Iowa cornfields. Bibliophiles both, they become acquainted through books and the love of reading is what makes their relationship work.

When after years of sharing their
Helene Jeppesen
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute story that moved my book-loving heart! Yes, it is very perfect and partly cheesy, but in this case I didn't mind because the novel was perfect that way.
This story takes place in Broken Wheel, Iowa, and it contains a great love for books. Sara, the main character, is the sweetest girl whose love for books was so easy to relate to. She loves smelling them, looking at them, and of course devouring them over a cup of coffee or tea.
This story also contains a diverse cast of char
Diane
This is a sweet, charming story about what happens when a bookshop opens in a small Midwestern town.

The story follows the bookish Sara, who travels from Sweden to Iowa to meet her elderly pen pal, Amy, only to learn that Amy has recently died. The townsfolk try to make Sara feel welcome, and soon she makes friends. Amy owned a lot of books, and Sara takes the initiative to open up a bookstore as a way to share the collection with the town.

I'll pause here to say this is one of those cute, sweet b
Pamela
I thought perhaps this would be more like a Fannie Flagg novel (of which I adore), or maybe along the lines of a quirky Billie Letts novel, such as - The Honk and Holler Opening Soon. Or even something like The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society meets Steel Magnolias.

But no. Not even close......

Too dry, too dull, too crass, too skittish. And not very believable, either. Then again, the translation was wonky. Entire words were missing from standardized phrases. Maybe some warmth and c
Pat
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, kindle
4 stars

During the holiday season, I like to take a break from all the violent, suspense novels I usually read and will read a cozy novel or something along those lines. This book fit that criteria perfectly.

Sara Lindqvist has been a pen pal to Amy Harris for a few years. What the two women have in common are books - both Amy and Sara read voraciously and love to talk about their books. Sara has been working in a bookstore in Haninge, Sweden where she lives and feels as if she is going nowhere an
Sherwood Smith
Received from NetGalley.

When I was thinking about how to describe this book, the first word to mind was "sweet." But sometimes people see that word as synonymous with saccharine or syrupy.

So maybe sweetly whimsical? Or maybe a sentence is better than a word or two: I think the reader for this book enjoys a gently rambling plot, quirky characters, romance, and above all, a passionate love of books.

It was written by a Swedish author who at the time had never been to America. But from what I could
"The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend" is a book built around books and the people who love them. It's about the power of books to build friendships, repair broken hearts, set dreams aloft, and change prejudices. It's a book that had so much promise, but for me ultimately fell short of the perfect "sweet spot" nice and cozy little story.

Sara is a young Swedish woman who is pen pals with elderly Amy of Broken Wheel, Iowa -- a small down-of-it's luck town hit hard by the recession. Despite having
Wendy
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feb-16
The Readers Of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald is the charming story of friendship, small town romance and so much more. A story that connects two friends over their love of books.
Sara Lindqvist travels from Sweden to meet and spend two months with her pen pal Amy Harris in Broken Wheel, Iowa. Upon her arrival Sara is shocked to learn of Amy's death and she has arrived just in time for the funeral. The townspeople insist that Sara fulfil her intended plans and stay at Amy's house as th
Tanja Berg
Rating 5* out of 5. This is the best feel-good chick-lit book about books I've ever read. Deeply insightful in regards to the human condition, humorous and filled with books. I've snubbed this type of book for at least a year, I have no idea why, but I'm over that now. I know that a book of this quality is one in a hundred, but I seriously need some variation to my thriller-horror-zombie-blood-and-gore preference.

Sara from Sweden is visting the truly godforsaken Iowa town Broken Wheels. She arri
Amanda
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
No. Just no. Not the book for me!
Connie G
I had my doubts about this book when I started it since there were so many improbable events, but it ended being a cute light story. Sara, a bookseller from Sweden, has been a pen pal with Amy, an older woman and book lover from the tiny town of Broken Wheel, Iowa. When Sara loses her job, Amy invites her for a visit for two months. Sara arrives in Iowa to find that Amy had recently died, but Amy's friends want to entertain her for her vacation. To repay the people for their generosity, Sara vol ...more
Rebecca
Whatever would lead a European to vacation in Broken Wheel, Iowa, that “complete waste of brick, asphalt and concrete”? For Sara Lindqvist, the answer is books. Over the last two years she’s built up a friendship with Amy Harris of Broken Wheel through pen pal letters and exchanges of books. Now that the bookshop where she worked in Sweden has closed down, she has a bit of time and money to devote to a trip to America. “Reading books isn’t a bad way to live your life, but lately Sara had begun t ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

"This one's on me."

How many times would Sara hear that? She couldn't keep taking things for free and especially the rent.

Sara came to Broken Wheel, Iowa, from Sweden to meet her pen pal, Amy, but what she found when she arrived wasn't what she was expecting.

She didn't find Amy but a town of friendly folks who loved Amy and who loved giving Sara things for free. They also offered Amy's house to Sara since Amy was no longer in Broken Wheel.

Sara was only there for two months on a visiting visa, but
Marianne
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend is the first novel by Swedish author, Katarina Bivald. After some years of correspondence with Amy Harris, Sara Lindqvist, until recently employed at Josephsson’s Bokhandel, has come from Sweden for a vacation visit to Broken Wheel, Iowa. The first problem is that Amy has just died. The second is that, while she is staying in Amy’s guest room, no one will accept her rental payment. The third problem is that no one in Broken Wheel will let her pay for anythin ...more
Book Riot Community
I kept putting this one off because the premise didn’t really grab me, but holy cats, I wish I hadn’t! This book about a young woman from Sweden who goes to Iowa to meet her bookish penpal (an old woman who we quickly learn has died) just sucked me right into its strange little world. Such a glorious, quaint, funny story. Probably will end up buying a print copy because I keep wanting to underline the beautiful little statements peppered throughout this one.

-Amanda Kay Oaks

from The Best Books W
Michael
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After losing her job as a bookseller, Swede Sara Lindqvist, makes the fateful decision to travel across the Atlantic to visit her American pen pal, Amy Harris. What she finds though on her arrival is much more than she bargained for. Firstly the romantic thoughts of relaxing and reading with her friend are put on hold after the shock news that Amy has recently passed away and secondly Broken Wheel is a shadow of it's former self.

Sara is shocked by what she finds and is totally overwhelmed by the
Jules
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was an enjoyable read that I think will be appreciated by those who love to read lots of books.

I loved the idea of penpals, as I had lots of penpals during my teenage years. The focus on the way books can have an impact on the lives of the readers was also a great one. Broken Wheel was a fun town with some quirky characters, and I loved the whole opening up of the bookshop.

However, the reason I give this 3 stars instead of 4 or 5 is because I found the story a little too light and predictab
Mary
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Dear Reader,

Sometimes you yearn for a break from the norm,have a heartfelt desire to take a breather and read a tale that's refreshingly different,something perhaps,a little outside the box.

Such is this wonderful story,one that encapsulates friendship,camaraderie and love in a quirky yet strangely apt setting, centred around quirky yet oddly 'everyday' people,recognisable as similar to those we share our lives with each day.

Sara,a book lover from Sweden,arrives in Broken Wheel at the invitatio
☼♄Jülie 
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it

It took me a little bit to get into this story to begin with but once I did I settled right in and was fully engaged for the entire read.

A little bit quirky and a bit sentimental, the story tells of a little town called Broken Wheel, Iowa, which is suffering from the effects of a lack of industry to keep it afloat. Many of its once thriving shops have closed and remain empty, and there is a very real risk that the town will die out as businesses go broke and people move out to find work elsewher

• The Moment of Everything
  • Playmaker
  • Rise & Shine, Benedict Stone
  • Reading in Bed: Personal Essays on the Glories of Reading
  • Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading: Finding and Losing Myself in Books
  • The Library at the Edge of the World (Finfarran #1)
  • Chilly Milly Moo
  • Odd Velvet
  • The World Between Two Covers: Reading the Globe
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • Lost For Words
  • Second Reading: Notable and Neglected Books Revisited
Katarina Bivald grew up working part-time in a bookshop. Today she lives outside of Stockholm, Sweden, with her sister and as many bookshelves she can get by her. She'scurrently trying to persuade her sister that having a shelf for winter jackets and shoes is completely unneccessary. There should be enough space for a book shelf or two instead. Limited success so far. Apparantly, her sister is als ...more
“For as long as she could remember, she had thought that autumn air went well with books, that the two both somehow belonged with blankets, comfortable armchairs, and big cups of coffee or tea.” 58 likes
“People were strange like that. They could be completely uninterested in you, but the moment you picked up a book, you were the one being rude.” 34 likes