Start by marking “Mad Max: Fury Road” as Want to Read:
Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road

(Mad Max: Fury Road - Prequels #1-4)

George Miller, Nico Lathouris and Mark Sexton are writing four prelude stories that follow leading characters Nux, Immortan Joe, Furiosa, and a two-part story about Mad Max. Nico Lathouris serves as a co-writer on the film while Mark Sexton serves as storyboard and concept artist for Mad Max: Fury Road. Interior artists working on these projects include Riccardo ...more
Published September 1st 2015 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Mad Max, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Max

Start your review of Mad Max: Fury Road
Riley
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing, comics
This was fine. The only story worth reading in here is Max's because you learn who the child he kept seeing was. The Furiosa story just annoyed me, and the Nux/Immortan Joe story was boring.
Chad
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A solid set of prequel stories for the characters from Mad Max: Fury Road written by George Miller.
Χαρά Ζ.
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a lovely day xD
I've never heard of Mad Max and then Fury Road the movie came into my life. And i loved it so much.
Basicaly this is some back stories (i really hoped to see more of Furiosa the Queen <3). The art was fine and the stories were fine, i enjoyed this :D. 3,5 stars
Sam Quixote
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mad Max: Fury Road was one of my favourite movies from last year - it was crazy fun and full of awesome action set pieces and characters. So I was intrigued to check out these prelude comics from writer/director George Miller and his scriptwriter Nico Lathouris and storyboard artist Mark Sexton. And then I was disappointed as, with most prelude comics, this one turned out to be total crap.

The book’s divided into five short sections featuring Immortan Joe, Warboy Nux, Imperator Furiosa, “Mad”
Roxanne
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

Fury road, by far my fave movie of this year it's amazing so i had to pick this up and it doesn't disappoint. You don't really learn anything new, it doesn't go into great detail about the background of these characters especially furiosa (mainly because there's gonna be another movie so they ain't gonna waste a good story on a comic) so don't expect any revelations here. You do however find out who that kid is in max's flashbacks from the movie which was interesting, and it's kinda depressing
Quentin Wallace
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a decent prequel to the recent Mad Max: Fury Road film. We got to see backstories for Nux, Immortan Joe, Furiosa and Max himself.

Really nothing groundbreaking but still a good read. I liked the Max story best, but they all helped fill in some blanks. The art was a good fit for the stories as well.

If you were a fan of the movie, these are worth checking out.
Praiz Sophyronja
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this. Prequels are usually an extreme in either a hit or a miss so I shouldn't be surprised. Max, Nux & Immortan Joe's stories were compelling enough but Furiosa's was such a disappointment. I can't rate this higher than 2 or 2.5 if I'm generous.
Kelly
"Nux and Immortan Joe" - 3.5/5 stars

"Furiosa" - 1/5 stars

"Max Part I" - 3.5/5 stars

"Max Part II" - 4/5 stars

"War Rig" - 3/5 stars

Unsurprisingly, Furiosa's storyline mostly soured my view of this collection of Max Mad: Fury Road prequel comic books. (The rest are readable enough, though largely underwhelming.) Feminist critics have already picked "Furiosa" apart, panel by panel, so instead of rehashing what's already been said, I'll just redirect you here, here, and here. For starters.

I
Dan
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Would recommend this to fans of the Mad Max series. Would be nice to see this continued.
Sr3yas
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
What a day.....What a lovely day (To Review)

NUX & IMMORTAN JOE :
The Story deals with origins of both Nux as well as Immortan Joe. Most importantly, how the hell did he get the name Immortan Joe?!

Verdict : Shiny but, not so chrome

FURIOSA:
The Story is about lives of Five Wives of the Citadel and how they cross path with Furiosa

Verdict: Ah,Mediocre

MAX:
Max is back in Thunderdome! This chapter also tells the story of the mysterious (dead) child who Max kept on seeing in the movie!

Verdict :
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was interesting. Ever wonder who the little girl Max keeps seeing, how Furiosa helped the Wives escape, how Nux became a warboy and of course how Immortan Joe found the Citadel? These story arcs answer that.

Though I would of liked it to see as a movie but comic book form is okay too. Love that cover.

For the most part, these were okay, my favorite probably Max's story. The art work at first I wasn't sure about, but the more I breezed through this, the more I found it fit the tone the comic
Scott
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
So, here we have a few prequel stories that tie into the Mad Max:Fury Road movie, and are supposed to stand on their own right, not just as marketing fodder. George Miller thought up these tales during the production of the movie. Pretty interesting stuff, and the artwork was right on the mark for all of its dusty desert waste feel. Nothing too earth shattering, but if you liked the movie this will be fun for you to spend time with.
Jelena
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting, nicely packaged, cool episodes.
Kaita
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It is what it is. It's not the greatest graphic novel I've read, but it's not the worst, either. I like explanations and backstories, so I enjoyed it :)
Julie
One ordinary Wednesday, the power was turned off... and it didn't come back on again.

Paperback collection of the one-off comic book prequels for Mad Max: Fury Road, each issue focusing on a different character. It's a mixed bag as a result, but I'm glad I read it: I forever love this setting and being steeped in the gritty and unforgiving Wasteland, with some fun worldbuilding and little hints of backstory for these characters.

Nux & Immortan Joe: Nux's origin honest-to-god had my heart
Jesper Nielsen
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a great read. It filled out a lot of details from the movie.
Joe
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
An awesome prequel (and sequel) to the fuel throttled 2015 film, Mad Max: Fury Road. It gives us the background on Immortan Joe, Imperator Furiosa, Joe's wives, some of the famous vehicles from the film, and even fleshes out the silent but deadly Max himself. A great companion piece. I hope they make a true sequel.
Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having read this in a single sitting the other day, it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

I'll get straight to the point and throw my opinion stone into the boulder pile concerning the controversy circling the Furiosa story:

I'm one of the few, it seems, who saw the Furiosa story as a good story. One of the themes of the film is redemption, so naturally we get to see why Furiosa was seeking said redemption in the prequel. We all knew that she was much more than just the getaway driver for the
Chris
I'm tempted to bump this up to 5 stars, as it's kind of in between 4 and 5.
The Mad Max series of movies are some of my favorite of all time. I've always been a sucker for post-apocalypse stories and (primarily) settings. The latest, Fury Road, is absolutely a blast.

This book is the prelude to Fury Road, in that it tells the history of some of the main characters. It starts with Nux, which, to be honest, was just okay. It didn't even make a whole lot of sense how or why of what is going on. It
Austin Zook
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
A thoroughly average tie-in to one of my favorite films of all time.

Mad Max: Fury Road is a high octane thrill ride of a film. This prequel graphic novel--collecting four issues telling three different stories from the MM:FF universe--is, sadly, not as refreshingly revolutionary as the film that inspired it...but it's not terrible.

The first story, an origin story for Nux and the Immortan Joe, doesn't really do anything to enhance the experience of watching the film and it doesn't have the same
Kazzmatazz
I knew some of the characters' backstories from lurking on the MMFR wiki, but this compilation of prequels was an excellent portrayal and only added to this brilliant world.

If the cinematography of the film stunned you, then you should get your hands on this book. If the characters intrigued you, you should get your hands on this book. If the movie rocketed into your top ten faves, then I'm shocked you don't already have your hands on this book.

It only added to something I already love, though I
Max Littooy
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mad Max Fury Road is the story of Max, a man devoid of hope, wandering in a metaphorical wasteland of his subconscious. As he is also quite literally, stranded in the sand swept land that was once Australia. After witnessing the death of his daughter, Max is haunted by images of his family across the wasteland. Early in the story Max's car, the Magnum Opus is stolen, and used for spare parts, and he is captured by the war boys. The War Boys are an army of motor fueled bandits, believing they ...more
Greg
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This collection includes not only Prequels #1 through #4 but a fifth story entitled "The War Rig." And I think this is a situation in which the final product (all five stories) is better than the sum of its parts primarily due to the artwork. So, to Andrea Mutti, Mark Sexton, Tristan Jones, Szymon Kudranski, and Peter Pound (one wonders if this is a real name...) nice job! And it appears that Mark Sexton is responsible for the fantastic artwork on the skin of the storyteller. This volume is ...more
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
Well that was shit...

I was hoping for some character back story. There wasn't any. The art wasn't even especially good. Disappointing.
♠️ TABI ♠️
HOW and WHY have I not added this to my tbr before now??? I dishonor myself and my intense love for anything and everything MMFR.
Jaime
content warnings: violence, murder, rape, abortion

Before I start this review you should know that Mad Max: Fury Road is quite possibly my favourite movie, or at least in my top three. Just so you can understand how much it breaks my heart that I (for the most part) didn't like this graphic novel.

I'll get into more details on each section in a second, but there are two general points I have first:
1) The art style really didn't gel with me. I'm not saying it was bad because objectively speaking,
Zec
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Like the film, this movie is a bleak and gritty affair. The biggest difference though, is the lack of hope. The one time that Max acts with humanity is punished and he is plunged back into his lonely cycle of vengeance and bloodshed. The comic adds a lot more depth to the characters of Max, Furiosa and the ladies who’ll free themselves. It reveals more lore about the world and the sweaty barbarism that passes for its culture. I liked Max’s story but the rest don’t stand too well on their own. I’ ...more
Jason Adams
Is what it is

Gruesome and over the top, this graphic novel attempts to add some weight to the action explosion that is “Fury Road.” Sometimes, though, it’s best leaving some things to the imagination. I suppose we know more about the characters in the newest Mad Max movie, but much of it was already communicated through the brief story beats in the film. The bit with Max was interesting and attempts to fill the plot hole of the recovered interceptor. Compared to the poetry of the film, the
Sean
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mad Max fans, Grindhouse fans
This prequel was picked up on a whim and its pretty good. I have yet to see the movie but didn't need help figuring out the who's and why's. There are three stories here and they are all good, with the highlight being the Furiosa tale. The art, except for the tale end was dark and gritty and made the terrible landscape come to life. For being a licensed property, this was definitely a pleasant surprise.
David Pollison
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Because you can never get too much of MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. I only wish that they gave more of a back story for Furiosa instead of just focusing on how she meets "the brides" and how she escapes with them. Heck they could have done an entire graphic novel about how she came to become the warrior bad ass that she is and how she lost her arm and how she came to the honored position of driver for the war rig. Beyond that the other stories in here are worth reading if you are a fan of the movie.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Middlewest, Book One
  • Gentleman Jack: The Real Anne Lister (Movie Tie-In)
  • Kingsman: The Secret Service
  • Black Panther, Book 6: The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda, Part One
  • The Art of Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Pacific Rim: Tales From The Drift
  • Preacher, Book 3
  • Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
  • The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism from Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin
  • Deadly Class, Volume 8: Never Go Back
  • The Boys Omnibus Vol. 2
  • Old Man Hawkeye, Vol. 1: An Eye for an Eye
  • Aquaman, Volume 2: The Others
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the goodreads data base.

Mad Max: Fury Road - Prequels (4 books)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road: Nux & Immortan Joe #1
  • Mad Max: Fury Road: Furiosa #1
  • Mad Max: Fury Road: Mad Max #1
  • Mad Max: Fury Road: Mad Max #2
“A true leader does not need others to make him strong. A true leader gives others the strength to stand alone.” 0 likes