Start by marking “Dead Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #1)

Dead Secret

(DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal #1)

Who killed Amy Hill?
Amy Hill, a nineteen-year-old student, is strangled and her body dumped on open ground in the city. New police partners, D.I. Jim Neal and D.S. Ava Merry are called in to investigate this brutal crime. The last person to see Amy alive was Simon, the son of a family friend, but before he can be properly questioned he disappears.

Detectives Neal and Merry
Kindle Edition, First Mystery Books, 302 pages
Published May 19th 2015 by Joffe Books

Start your review of Dead Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #1)
Shirley Revill
Amy Hill a nineteen year old college student with her whole life in front of her,tragically Amy's life is cut short. The victim has been brutally strangled,her lifeless body dumped but who committed this heinous crime. Lot's of twists and turns in this story when family secrets and crimes come to the forefront of this murder case. Will Amy Hills murder ever be solved and will justice prevail for Amy.

I listened to the audiobook and I really enjoyed the story. The narration was really good and I d
Sue
DEAD SECRET by Janice Frost is the first in a new series of detective thrillers featuring D.S. Ava Merry and D.I. Jim Neal. Ava Merry is a young policewoman, recently promoted to detective sergeant. She is a fitness fanatic with a taste for dangerous relationships. Jim Neal, the boss is a single dad who is totally devoted to his job as well as caring for his son.

The plot is set in the fictional Northern city of Stromford. The characters are well-developed and the story is evenly paced.

New police
Linda Strong
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
In this book, the reader is introduced to DI Jim Neal and DS Ava Merry. This new series starts with an investigation into the death of a young girl found in a common.

Neal and Merry haven't been working together long and solving this murder will frustrate the two of them, especially as they each have their own theory.

One thing becomes certain though ... they have plenty of suspects to choose from. It's found that the young lady had not one, but two stalkers. There's also a college professor who
Vera (Estante da Vera)

3 stars

Okay, let's start with the good.

This book has an interesting and promising premise. A college student is murderer and the investigation falls into the hands of two police officers that are working together for only six months. They are still learning their way around each other and how to work together. D.I. Jim Neal, the Senior detective of the pairing, is interesting, if a bit idealized. He is handsome, brilliant at work and a dedicated single Dad. Oh, and young and successful. Despite
Pat
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still catching up with these reviews!

I sometimes say of a book - it could have been so much better. This book though, in other hands it could have been so much worse, yet the author did a good job with it. The plot was good but not unique. The relationship between the two lead detectives could have been tacky, but it wasn't. The whole thing was just well put together and had a cracking pace. Entertaining and very readable.
Jeanette
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel, and loved all the twists and turns. Couldn't have wished for a better plot! I rarely write what a story is about for fear of spoiling for others, but I do highly recommend.

I hope to read more novels by this author.

I received an electronic copy of this novel and this is my honest review.
Tulay
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Very good ending.

British authors and their investigations little different, most of the time I avoid reading their mystery/thriller books. But this is really good, figured out half way all the characters involved. Partly it was right but ending is really shocking.
Ken Smith
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Location, location, location.

This is the third time that I have read this story and I've enjoyed it as much as the first time the way Janice mixes history with present time to give small clues to keep the reader guessing but without revealing too much before the closing pages.
One thing does annoy me all the clues indicate that Stromford is in reality the city of Lincoln so why not call it Lincoln, sorry but it spoils the story for me.
Geraint griffiths
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping!

First book I have read by this author. I am now going to download book2. Can't wait to read it .Really enjoyed the first book full of twists and turns . Really good plot and likeable main characters .intrigued to see how the work \relationship develops between Ava and Meal .
Ted Tayler
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Good start to a series"

I thoroughly enjoyed the plotting in this one. Well-written police procedural.
Carol Butler
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Not Bad

Have read better thrillers and police procedures but this started ok but towards the end it got a bit boring, and to cap it all no one actually gets arrested for the crime that's been committed, bit of a let down really.
Marie Shirley Griffin
Not bad

Maybe it's just me, but this wasn't one of my favorite books. The plot was interesting, if a bit convoluted.

It's the main characters that I am still having some issues with. Ava Merry seems keen as a cop, but her "OCD" w\her athletic training didn't track and if I heard Neal's kid's name once more, I was going to scream!

Snowdrop
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book
Black Butterfly
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
TAKES PLACE IN ENGLAND, PLENTY OF BACK STORIES GOING ON KEEPS YOU GUESSING JUST WHO KILLED AMY AND WHY? TO ME IT’S MORE POLICE PROCEDURAL WITH MYSTERY/SUSPENCE NOT A THRILLER. THE MAIN CHARACTER’S SEEMED TO GO ABOUT SOLVING THE CASE KINDA DIFFERENTLY THAN I’VE EVER SEEN ESPECIALLY PC MERRY. I REALLY DIDN’T CARE FOR THE WRITING STYLE IT WOULD BUILD UP THEN SWITCH TO ANOTHER COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY OF ANOTHER CHARACTER, BACK AND FORTH IN TIME. THE PARENT’S SEEMED WAY OVER-THE-TOP PROTECTIVE OF ...more
Cheryl
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book & its wonderful characters. You got great backstory on DI Neale & DS Merry with enough mystery to know there are more revelations to come.
It was an exceptionally fast read with a great flow and a plot that kept you interested to the end. Definitely a character based whodunit as opposed to a police procedural with a lot of technical details.
I'd love to read more novels with the Detectives - they'd make a great series.
Amy Peck
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good

While there were a lot of characters to keep track of (and I did have a bit of trouble keeping them all straight the plot was interesting and moved at a good pace. DI Jim Neal and DS Ava Merry make an interesting team. I hope that this book was just the first in a Neal/Merry series.
(Note to publisher - Please drop the subtitle. It sounds too desperate.)
Jo Ann
Impressive first book! While it was fairly easy to figure out the who-done-it, there were enough compelling twists thrown in to keep me fully engaged. What I liked best was getting to know the main characters - single dad DI Neal and his young, eager partner DS Merry. Each has an interesting life outside of the police station, which I hope we'll get more of in b2.
***3.5***
Sam Timmins
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well plotted storyline. I like the two main characters and generally the people involved in this thriller have their own individual characteristics. Kept me guessing right up to the end where there was only one incident that needed a slight stretching of the imagination. I have already ordered the third book in the series.
Kathy Lovasik
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful thriller

I I was reading until my eyes hurt . This was a book that was hard to put down . My only complaint is that the author sometimes became too descriptive of surroundings . Other than that I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery
Gail
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Terrific characters

Ava and her boss are the kind of pair that you want to follow in their next case. Moves along nicely, bits of humor and lots of room for the two detectives to grow.
Irvin B Robinson
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first of a series

Keeps your attention
Good character development for the major players.
Many twists to the plot.
Enjoyed it and will read the third book in the series.
Time for sleep now
Cynthia Logan
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dead Secret

Kept.my interest with realistic story. That is all I want to say, so will just fill in with whatever. Takes too much time.
Sue
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Enjoyable crime thriller with two Detectives who were interesting and I liked. Loads of suspects and some unpleasant victims, overall an enjoyable read and the start of a series I hope.
Mark
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
A really good book that has a deep secret woven into the plot I hope there is another book by this author a definite five stars from me
David Gilchrist
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I did like this story, well structured and flows well. not enough excitement or humour.
Kayla Cox
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A good read

Full of twists and turns that keeps you guessing. The right level of crime and a hint of romance between to the two detectives.
Kent
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A well written story with a clever plot and engaging characters.
mrs j a hewitt
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating tale!

Intriguing story with some excellent twists and turns plus a few moments where I was completely gobsmacked!! Kept me interested all the way through.
Mrs L. Galloway
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gripping.

Brilliant read. Difficult to put down. Believable characters and punchy storyline propel you to a surprising finally. An author to watch out for.
Amanda
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me gripped and I would definitely read the next book in the series. Will be interesting to see the main characters grow, as I found the main characters very intriguing!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dark Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #1)
  • Deadly Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen, #2)
  • Dead Nasty (Calladine & Bayliss, #6)
  • Dead & Buried (Calladine & Bayliss, #5)
  • Dead List (Calladine & Bayliss, #3)
  • Dead Lost (Calladine & Bayliss, #4)
  • Dark Murder (DI Greco, #1)
  • Dead Jealous (Calladine & Bayliss, #7)
  • Dead Wrong (Calladine & Bayliss, #1)
  • Ruthless Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #9)
  • Murder by Arson (Detective Kate Power Mystery Book 3)
  • Dead Bad (Calladine & Bayliss, #8)
  • Buried Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #4)
  • Silent Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #8)
  • Secret Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #3)
  • Dead Silent (Calladine & Bayliss, #2)
  • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
  • Dead Guilty (Calladine & Bayliss #9)

DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal (5 books)
  • Dark Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #2)
  • Her Husband's Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #3)
  • Their Fatal Secrets (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #4)
  • Dirty Secrets (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #5)