Start by marking “The Tender Bonds” as Want to Read:
The Tender Bonds

The Tender Bonds

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  8 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Sometimes the end is a new beginning

There comes a moment when the past we left behind draws attention to itself and demands we come to terms with it. For Patty Dykstra, a woman who has long led an unassuming life, that moment comes after her aunt dies. Among a life’s worth of things, Patty finds unopened cards from her father, a man she hasn’t seen since she was six years
Published May 21st 2015 by Turquoise Morning Press (first published May 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Tender Bonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tender Bonds

Dianne
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For Patty Dykstra, the end of an unbalanced relationship and the discovery of secrets from her past mark the first time in her life that she has truly seen the world and her rightful place in it. Patty finds that a box of cards from the father she never really knew will open a place in her heart that needs to be healed and only through going back to her childhood roots can she learn the true meaning of home, caring, sharing and love of others and herself.

The Tender Bonds by Ute Carbone follows t
Patricia Dusenbury
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Patricia finds years of letters and cards from the father she thought had abandoned her, she goes looking for him. Her quest to learn more about her past imperils her carefully ordered present. Patricia is a college librarian, her lover has just been offered his first teaching job, at a university in Kansas, and he wants her to come with him. They'll get married. Everything is on track until...

The Tender Bonds explores the ties that connect us - blood, affection, shared experiences and valu
Susan Roebuck
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read many of Ute Carbone's books, ever since Blueberry Truth hit the shelves. I can't decide which one I like best but The Tender Bonds is up there with the others at the top.

Ms Carbone has a writing style that grabs all five senses, twists them about and leaves the reader laughing, crying or simply just wanting more. Her voice in The Tender Bonds is brilliant, conjuring up a small American town where prim and proper Patty Dykstra ends up in search of her family. Just from their way of talk
Ute Carbone
May 20, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The trip Patty Dykstra, the main character in The Tender Bonds, takes isn't really all that far, a few hours' drive up the highway to the town where she was born . The journey she takes is much farther, as she navigates the road deep inside of herself and grows into the person she's meant to be. In the end, she has travelled light years, becoming a woman who is ready to begin again. We are, all of us, on a journey. I hope you'll read Patty's story and be inspired to visit those places deep insid ...more
Nadine Keels
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of hope with excellent development and depth. I’d recommend it to literary and women’s fiction enthusiasts who appreciate serious novels with a romantic thread. Admittedly, I don't usually read books with this much profanity, but I stuck it out with this one.

Reviewed at Online Book Club. I received a complimentary copy of this book for an honest review.
Nadine Feldman
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a touching story of a woman who finds herself embroiled in a family mystery involving her father. As she tries to piece together what happened long ago, she has to make difficult choices about her own life and the direction she's going.

I think the real strength of this book lies in the economy of Carbone's storytelling. The story moves quickly, but also feels fully developed...there's the right balance of detail, action, and dialogue. And oh, yeah, it will bring a tear to your eye.

I did
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Readers beware, this is a romance—between several different couples—it is not a happy story, nor does it end with a typical happily ever after, more like a happily on the right path with the right person.

Read full review in the 2015 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.

Sara
added it
Apr 23, 2016
The MFRW Book Place: 14 Aug 2016 - The Tender Bonds 1 1 Aug 13, 2016 08:34PM
Ute Carbone Books: My new book 1 3 May 20, 2015 01:37PM
Award winning author Ute Carbone pronounces her first name Oohtah, but doesn't spell it that way. She lives with her husband in Southern NH, where she spends her days drinking coffee, eating chocolate, walking in the woods, and dreaming up stories.

There's been a long list of things I've wanted to be. Some of them were fanciful- ballerina, trapeze artist, world class ski racer. Some more serious-d
More about Ute Carbone