Start by marking “Complete Plays and Prose” as Want to Read:
Complete Plays and Prose

Complete Plays and Prose

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  313 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The life of Georg Buchner was short, intense, and tragic—and extremely significant for the development of modern drama. His three plays, Danton’s Death, Leonce and Lena, and Woyzeck, were greatly ahead of their time in their penetrating dramatic and psychological treatment. They served as an impetus for contemporary schools of drama as different as the Theatre of the Absur
Published January 1st 1963 by Hill and Wang (first published 1837)

To ask other readers questions about Complete Plays and Prose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Plays and Prose

Notes and Background to Texts
Select Bibliography
Count Duckula
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
'one coarse hide rubs against another' and other astonishingly modern cynical desperate gems from the 1830s
Charlie
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Wozzeck is definitely the best of these three plays, but the other two are worth reading if you liked that.

One of my favourite things about Büchner is that no matter the social standing of a character he always puts extremely eloquent poetic musings on life and death in their mouths. You are quite quickly forced to give up any question of whether this is realistic or not, and are given the chance of hearing what these characters would say had they the means to express it.
It does also mean that i
Kristy
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this collection of Büchner's work for his play Woyzeck, and read everything except Danton's Death (which I'm saving for later). Considering that Büchner died when he was 23, this collection of three plays, a novella, a revolutionary political treatise, a scientific lecture, and a bunch of letters is rather impressive. What is even more impressive is how modern Büchner seems considering that he was writing 180 years ago. This collection has crisp translations and interesting introductor ...more
rosalind
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, hey-shorty
a good translation
Keith
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Woyzeck ***** – What a lyrically haunting play. It is little more than fragments of story, song and poetry with an unresolved – or unclear – ending.

When I say “fragments”, I mean that each scene is brief, but almost complete in itself. The story/plot itself is not necessarily fragmented. The arc of it is rather clear and unremarkable (at least by today’s standards). A woman cheats on a troubled man, who kills her when he finds out. But it is told in short, poignant scenes – some no more than a
Brendan Shea
May 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The best translation out there of the first modern tragedian. Includes all Buchner's works, one of which is a heartbreaking translation of the short story/essay "Lenz," the reading of which is key to understanding Buchner's aesthetic. Mueller captures the frantic, desperate poetry of "Woyzeck" unlike any other translation I've read. Top notch.
l.
Read Danton's Death, Woyzeck, Lenz and the letters.

I like his writing but I think that his age shows. Woyzeck is very good (four stars for it!) but the other works, I wouldn't think especially remarkable. But of course, my knowledge of theatre, and german lit is incredibly, unbelievably limited.
Kadri
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nii veider raamat, et sellele võib vastavalt tujust suvalise hulga tähti anda. Tõlge on võrratu.
Christian
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
Die Kunst, Mitmenschlichkeit zu lernen in vier Stücken.

I. Dantons Tod - wie wir siegen
II. Lenz - wie wir alleine sind
III. Leonce und Lena - wie wir lieben
IV. Woyzeck - wie wir scheitern
Charles
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play
Danton's Death is on my not so short list of plays I'd like to stage. I did a couple of cuttings from it for scene workshops and they went over well. Too many plays, not enough time.
Erika S
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've technically only read the first play so far, but I'll be reading the others soon for class.
Ksenia
Read for grad school: Danton's Death, Leonce and Lena, Woyzeck.
A. Ozbay
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3 great games (drama) in his short life of the great German writer.
Joshua Thornton
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chelton-books
A very odd collection of writings from some semi-unknown writer. Bucher has a specific tone to his work that is rare and hard to come by.
Ian Mathers
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a kind of omnibus, but Woyzeck, Lenz, and much of what else is here is terrifyingly good. My favourite discovery from those German literature classes I took.
Brendan Shea
May 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty similar to the OUP.
Finnja
S.C. Flynn
Oct 09, 2015
Frank
Mar 27, 2008
  • Six Plays of Strindberg: The Father / Miss Julie / The Stronger / Easter / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • Kaspar and Other Plays
  • The Collected Plays, Vol. 1: 1958-1965
  • Billiards at Half-Past Nine
  • Complete Plays
  • The Ubu Plays: Ubu Rex / Ubu Cuckolded / Ubu Enchained
Karl Georg Büchner was a German dramatist and writer of prose. He was the brother of physician and philosopher Ludwig Büchner. Georg Büchner's talent is generally held in great esteem in Germany. It is widely believed that, but for his early death, he might have attained the significance of such central German literary figures as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Friedrich Schiller.

-Wikipedia