Start by marking “Up Close and Dangerous” as Want to Read:
Up Close and Dangerous

Up Close and Dangerous

Bailey Wingate's scheming adult stepchildren are surprised when their father's will leaves Bailey in control of their fortune, and war ensues. A year later, while flying from Seattle to Denver in a small plane, Bailey nearly dies herself when the engine sputters --- and then fails.

Cam Justice, her sexy Texan pilot, manages to crash-land the aircraft. Stranded in the wilder
Published July 17th 2007 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Up Close and Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up Close and Dangerous

Start your review of Up Close and Dangerous
Alp
“You look awful.”
He grinned in quick response. “You look pretty bad yourself,” he said with a teasing note in his deep voice. “Like you were in a plane crash and have been living in the wild for five days. The black eye is the crowning touch, though. At least you know for certain I didn’t fall in love with you because of how you look.”

If this book hadn't been written by Linda Howard, it would have turned out to be another survival handbook. But this is Linda Howard. Needless to say, she's a
peachygirl
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Reading a LH novel after so long feels like coming back home. Added bonus, the unbelievably unexpected twist at the end and a hero who's not an ass.
*sigh*
I live for these!
Auntee
May 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Linda Howard; Fans of survival in the wilderness stories
This book won't be for everyone--even fans of Linda Howard may have a hard time with it, because a lot of it has to do with surviving a plane crash, and there isn't a heck of a lot of romance or suspense. But because I don't mind a plot that hinges on survival in the wilderness, for the most part I'd have to say I enjoyed it. Not that I didn't wish that LH would have included some more of this and less of that...

The heroine, Bailey, is a 32 year-old attractive widow from Seattle with huge walls
Mo
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book on my kindle for 5 years. Went thorough a bit of a LH phase some years back and bought quite a lot of her books. Not sure why I never read this one back then.

A bit implausible at times. Not as good as some of the other books I have read by Ms Howard.

This was Mrs MacGyver! Wow, she could do just about anything! LOL.

The hell of of it was, physically, he was an attractive man - not handsome, not a pretty boy at all because his face was too rugged for that, but definitely ...
Jilly
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

Have you ever heard of MacGyver? It was a show in the '80's, I think, and was about some guy who could take a paperclip, a rubber band, and a straw - and somehow make a bomb. I never saw the show, but I've seen a lot of things making fun of it.

Anyway, this book is more about the ingenuity of a couple who survives a plane crash more than anything else. If you are looking for straight forward romance, this isn't the one. If you are looking for a mystery - uh, no. The main thing you are going to fi
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
I needed to revisit Linda Howard or any other of my favorite authors. So, I re-read this romantic suspense-thriller.

The uptight, wealthy widow and Captain sourpuss have secretly hated each other's guts for long but the crash landing on top of a freezing mountain brings out the real them. She's strong, resourceful and even drags him out of the plane and he couldn't but appreciate and want her for his own. She too, starts to find him wildly attractive as she fusses over his concussed self.
Althou
Shawna
4 stars – Romantic Suspense

Although I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the other/older LH books that I've read, it's still an entertaining romantic suspense read. It's kind of like a Plane Crash/Rocky Mountain High version of Survivor. The banter between sexy, arrogant ex-military Texan pilot Cam Justice and his aloof, yet smart and tough widowed client Bailey Wingate as they battle the elements to survive is loads of fun, and they have sexual chemistry so hot that it melts her frosty demeano
DarienMoya
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
^^NOT THE MOST HAPPY OF WAYS TO GET CLOSE!^^

So I read this book a few years ago, and truthfully I was not overly impressed. The second time around was a lot better if I do say so. I interpreted it a lot differently from the first time and found it amusing and very romantic regardless of the dire circumstances.

Cam Justice is a pilot, not for a big airline, but a small independently own air fleet that takes rich people to their destinations. He loves his job and shares his work with his best frie
Kinga
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pub-2007
We had no winter in UK this year. This was probably the first winter in my life with absolutely zero snow. I know the US had quite the opposite of that but we just got loads of rain. I’m Polish – I miss the snow and I miss the cold, so I asked people to recommend me romance novels with lots of snow and cold and people having to share their body heat to survive or some such.

‘Up, Close and Dangerous’ was a perfect choice. The hero needs to crash land a plane with the heroine on board somewhere up
 Chele
One of my favorite tropes. Plane crashes and survival in the wilderness. I just loved this couple! They are both good people who dislike one another until they are forced to spend almost a week relying on each other. I loved watching their romance develop.

As soon as I finished reading this I wanted to start all over. I wanted more of this couple and wished there was an epilogue. If detailed wilderness survival is not your thing you may find yourself skimming through. I loved all the details. Th
Carol
3.75 stars.⭐⭐⭐⭐

I had just finished "Prey" by Linda Howard prior to reading this book and although I really enjoyed both these reads I do think that "Prey" was the better book IMO.

Both novels have their MC's trapped in the wilderness and they are very much dependent on their own wits and skills to survive - especially in this book where Bailey and Cam end up stranded on a snowy mountain top after surviving a plane crash. It is fairly dire circumstances!!!!

The slight let down for me here was the
Miss Kim
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romantic supense
I've never read Howard before, and I was pleasantly surprised. Very good story and it was one of those 'can't put it down' books. It has a surprise ending, and a nice HEA. I recommend for any romance-suspense lovers.
Vintage

Alive without the cannibalism.

Way too survivalist for me as it seems as if it was a How-to to survive a plane crash, and I hate flying as it is. I listened to the audio and perhaps that was the problem.

Hero is hunky and insta-lust/love strikes hard, and heroine is nice and feisty. She is perfectly willing to take down the annoying stepdaughter.
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
2 reasons why I went for this book when there is a pending list that I really,really need to get to. Majorly there are quite a large number of horror books for this month and I didn’t want a reading slump to affect trying to gobble them all and secondly, I love the genre of romantic suspense but haven’t read much of Linda Howard books which are the top most in this section. So, compensating I decided on Up Close And Dangerous which totally surprised me with its content.

Coincidentally, the conten
AvidReader
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars ⭐️.
That was one intense and adventurous ride.
I absolutely loved everything about the book. Also got many new informations. The hero was an absolute Alpha sweetheart. I loved how he tricked and made the heroine fall in love with him. The only complaint I have is the lack of epilogue. And this book ‘needed’ it. Thus minus .5 stars ⭐️.
Recommended and safe.
Chitra *CJ*
"Up Close and Dangerous" is the story of Bailey and Cam.
When Bailey Wingate decides to take a much needed vacation with her family, she hires a private jet and vows to finally have some fun- away from her vicious stepchildren who hate her for having control of their fortunes.
Her pilot turns out to be ex military, the brooding Cam Justice- who when the plane malfunctions, crash lands and saves their life.
The book then revolves around them staying alive in plain wilderness, and the heroine being a
Mara
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
What she said:

To Aaron's words I'd like to add that there wasn't much suspence either. So, the romance wasn't believable, there was no real suspence, the minor characters were over the top bland, even the murderer, and the book ended in a phtttt. Ergo the 3 stars.
I may have been moved to a better rating if the stepchildren had at the end at least seen any comeuppance. :/
Mojca
Although everyone believes Bailey Wingate is yet another throphy-wife, her marriage to Jim Wingate was merely a business arrangement. Jim needed someone to oversee the trust funds of his two adult, good-for-nothing children and Bailey, as his PA and quite investment savvy, was the perfect choice.
Now Jim's dead and Bailey has to suffer through endless tantrums from her step-children, who hate her guts.

Apparently they hate her enough to kill her, since, while flying to her two-week vacation, her C
Jane Stewart
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Nice story. Good characters.

Most of the book took place on the mountain where Bailey and Cam had to survive cold, hunger, thirst and injuries. This was more of a survival story than a suspense story. I loved Bailey's common sense strength and how she saved Cam's life. I was drawn to both characters while watching their decisions and actions during their mountain experience. There was a mystery as to who sabotaged the plane. The ending was good. The side story about Seth was interesting. There is
Wendy
I really hadn't heard anything about this book, but when I saw it in the used book store I thought it looked good. I wasn't wrong.

Bailey Wingate is a woman that is taking care of the trust funds of her step children, who are about her same age. she only does this out of loyalty to her deceased husband and former boss. But it is a lot to handle and the "kids" are terrible to deal with. When she decides to take a vacation in Colorado, river rafting, she boards a small plane to take her from Seatt
Nancy Steinle gummel
Up Close and Dangerous by Linda Howard is the pick for our book club and the first book of Lina Howard that I read. Bailey. Wingate is a youngt widow who was left as trustee to her late husbands estate to distribute monthly funds to her step children who are older than she is. The step children are Seth and his sister Tamzen. They hold resentment towards Bailey. After a nasty bout with Seth, she decides to go white water rafting with her brother and his wife. The Wingates have always used the sa ...more
Christel
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense readers
Shelves: linda-howard
Picked this one up today at the grocery store after reading the back of the book I was interested. Pretty dang good of I say so myself.
Bailey Wingate has scheming step-children who would rather see her dead then alive. Saying she is younger than her stepkids and have the control of their multi-million dollar trust funds she could see why. After putting up with all the poop she can handle form them for the past year, she decided to get away for herself and meet her brother and sister-in-law in Co
Lacey
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, thriller
I listened to this book on audio CD. It was pretty good for an abridged thriller. Although I could have done without the cringe-worthy love scene.

Oh, and this cringe-worthy quote when the main character (female) was mad at the love interest (male), which occurred shortly before the love scene:

"I wanted to grab his penis and twist it. Then his 'Good-Time Charley' would have to be called a 'Twisted Charlie'."

Umm, WTF. That was a really strange comment, even if you are mad. Too weird not to share,
Jacqueline J
One of my favorite tropes. Survival in the wilderness. Here the actions of the heroine to save them are detailed and what's more they make sense. The emotion and relationship that builds between the two characters seems realistic and believable. Totally enjoy this and highly recommend it.
Emily
Widower Bailey Wingate is ready for a much needed vacation with the constant verbal abuse from her adult stepchildren is taken to a higher level. When she boards the plane and see Pilot Cam Justice, she knows it is going to be a long journey. although she finds him attractive she knows he thinks she is a trophy wife, which is farther than the truth.

Cam Justice has not been able to break through the icy exterior Bailey casts off, having flown with her a few times she is not his favorite passenger
Glamdring
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Glamdring by: Blacky *Romance Addict*

I really enjoyed listening to this audio book. I specially enjoyed how the narrator did Cam southern drawl...

I liked Bailey and Cam couple and Linda Howard did an awesome job researching about surviving a crash plan, but I would have loved the book more if there was more romance and suspense and little less surviving stuff.
Pamela(AllHoney)
May 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
For the mystery/suspense part I'd give it 5 stars but there were times I felt I was reading a survival guide and well, got a little bored. But all in all it wasn't bad and I'd recommend it to those who enjoy romantic suspense.
Aarann
2.5 stars.

This isn't a break-the-mold type of story. Basically, you read the back synopsis and what you see is what you get. Bailey and Cam are in a plane crash and they fall in love while stranded on a mountain trying to fight to get back to civilization, while keeping each other alive.

I think with this one my issue was twofold: 1) I'm not a huge fan of survivalist romances (all I can think is how BAD they must both smell and how greasy their hair must be after X amount of days, and oh dear God
Zeek
I have seen some of the less than stellar reviews floating around out there for Up Close and Dangerous, and knowing I've been mostly underwhelmed by LH's work here of late, I wasn't expecting much. Still I had hope that maybe, just maybe, she might one day get back to the magic of yesteryear. Once I finally got time to read it, I was pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't really disappointed with this one.

Oh I'm not saying it's all there- all the joyful fangirl glee I used to feel with her work- but ther
Kathleen
3.5 stars. Cam's small charter plane crashes in the remote snow-covered mountains somewhere around Hell's Canyon, Idaho. He is concussed. His passenger, the wealthy widow Bailey Wingate, keeps him alive till he's ready to hike out. In the worst conditions, Cam falls in love with Bailey, realizing she's not the cold stuck-up B he always thought.

A book about surviving the cold, similar to Ice -- minus the meth-heads. There are some smexy scenes, some sweet scenes, and a little suspense, with a tw

• Hunter's Moon
  • Obsession
  • Flash
  • Heartbreaker (Buchanan-Renard, #1)
  • Ghost Moon
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • Shattered
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • Bait
  • Murder List (Buchanan, #4)
  • All Night Long
  • Death Is Forever
  • Killjoy (Buchanan-Renard, #3)
  • The Ideal Man (Buchanan-Renard, #9)
  • Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5)
  • The Adventurer (Ladies and Legends, #2)
  • The Pirate
  • A Novel Murder (Secrets of the Castleton Manor Library, #1)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance