Start by marking “Stone-Cold Fox (Mai Hayashi #1)” as Want to Read:
Stone-Cold Fox (Mai Hayashi #1)

Stone-Cold Fox

(Mai Hayashi #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  592 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Mai’s plans for a weekend of cosplay fun and games at Fan Expo come to a screeching halt when a smokin’ hot fae with a vendetta against her father decides the best revenge is claiming her for his own.

Her father cost Ryuu everything: his home, his family…and his mate. Ryuu wants his pound of flesh, and he’s willing to take it out of Mai’s hide, bite by sensuous bite.

While
ebook
Published (first published October 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Stone-Cold Fox, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Asteropê This series is set in the same world as the Black Dog series, so I'd assume yes.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 2 Stone-Cold Stars ~

Stone-Cold Fox is a short quick read that takes place in the same world as the Black Dog series by Hailey Edwards.

If you have not read the Black Dog series then you should pick it up first. Mai is introduced to us in Dog with a Bone.

Mai is Thierry's friend. She is also a strong independent women who has this drive to find her true mate, but doesn't understand why she keeps searching so hard. Ryuu I didn't like the guy, but we really don't get to know him.

To start I don't l
Jeanny
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wasn't happy with the story but that's strictly personal preference. I believed Mai deserved better. I rate it 2 stars

Lexxi Kitty
There's a chance, not sure how large of a chance it might have been, but a chance I might not have finished this story if I hadn't read four books by this author before reading this one. I don't know, maybe a 25% chance?

The whole kidnapping someone, holding them against their will, forcing them, or attempting to force them into marriage . . . really rubbed me the wrong way. I was looking for a nice good short story. Not a 'damsel in distress' story. mmphs.

Luckily I continued reading and I was ab
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I received a copy of this book from Hailey Edwards via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

"Wolves has their Alphas, Kisunes had their reynards.

Mai Hayashi, is one day casually rocking the cosplay convention,
and the next moment she's abducted by a man who was her childhood friend.
He says he has to do it for a wrong that was done to his brother.
However, when she meets the brother (Ryuu), something rocks her world.
She knows this man...but how?
Everything is screaming that she has met him
Margaret
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-won-arcs
The kitsune are one of my favorite underutilized supernaturals, so I was really excited to see Mai, best friend and roommate to Thierry—who stars in the first four Black Dog books—get her own story. Though, frankly, I’m a little confused about whether this is a spin off series or a tangent within the Black Dog series—something like the Night Huntress World books. I thought it was the former, but I’m now leaning toward the latter since there’s another book scheduled to release in January starring ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Kelly
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely love diving back into the Black Dog world and all the insane craziness these characters end up in. Mai, Thierry's best friend, has been in the middle of several of Thierry's schemes and she's kinda fun. In a "I wouldn't get in a car with her because she drives like a maniac" sort of way.

In previous books, Mai came across as... I don't know. Flighty? Maybe? She has focus and everything but the way she was testing men to find her mate was worrisome. And the reason for her desperation o
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
This was an enjoyable novella. It definitely snagged my interest as it went on.
A. Powers
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: look-for-sequel
Super fast read! Very unique story line. Loved it!
Jerri
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great companion novella

Mai was an integral part of Thierry verse and I loved reading her ending. Finding a mate that she can’t remember and the lengths friend go to were great in this story. On to the next series.
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story! It was such a lovely novel and the characters were wonderful. Having never read the Black Dog series, I found this easy to follow. Hopefully Ms. Edwards will write more about Mai and Ryuu.
Anla Gisclair-Etheridge
I believe mailing deserved better...
Arielle Pettis
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT

OMG I am so happy to find a series about Mai! I love her as Thierry's bestie, but it's way better to see her story.. I truly hope there might be another book for her.
Torrina
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

I loved Mai in the Black Dog stories and was very happy to see she got one of her own. The only disappointment is that it's not long enough!
°мαggιє°  (っ⚈ᴥ⚈)っ™
I guess this was a cute little novella. The ending was a little bit abrupt, and their reconciliation a bit as well. I still can't really accept the fact the Ryuu chose fortune over Mai.
Stephaniec
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5/3*
Liana Smith Bautista | Will Read for Feels
*** I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review, which was originally published on book blog Will Read for Feels.

When I buy into a series, I really do buy into it, as evidenced by the fact that after enjoying the first book in Hailey Edwards’ Black Dog urban fantasy series, Dog with a Bone, I went on to read books 2, 3, and 4 over a span of just a couple of days. More on the series at a fut
Nicole
I hope there is more to come about Mai!
Belinda
My only gripe about this novella is that it's not a book!!

The story moves along at a nice clip and I love the geeky references. The heroine, Mai is awesome, not least because she has a serious thing for cosplaying. I'd have loved to spend more time getting to know her and the fox shapeshifter culture.

If you like Edward's other books, this is a nice read.
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a fan of the Black Dog series of which this series is a spin off I can easily say that this is a fun little book and the beginning of what has the potential to be a interesting new chapter in the world of the fae. Of course if you haven't read Hailey Edwards Black Dog series you may be in for a little confusion when it comes to reading this book as a lot of the characters from that series appear in this book as side characters (Thierry Thackerey, the Black Dog's daughter, being one of them se ...more
Lady
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From A Forgotten Past

•••Not for the homophobic, transphobic, or closedminded•••

This book is a spinoff of the Black Dog Series. I hope it becomes a series in it's own right! The Gemini series follows it.

These serieses must be read in order. The first book is Dog With A Bone. The second book is Dog Days Of Summer (found withing the Nightshade Anthology). The third book is Heir Of The Dog. The fourth book is Lie Down With Dogs. The fifth book is Old Dog, New Tricks. This is the sixth book. I can't
Jane
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Fine Read : The negative reviews didn't hold up

Okay, I freely admit I love shifter novels. I read the negative reviews, but this was a free read today, I gave it a go.
NOTHING the negative reviews said fit what I read. Keep in mind this is a different culture. Mai is a well developed character who is cleverly mirrored by young Gen. Mai is consistent in her thinking and behavior, and her responses to events are realistic within her culture. She recognizes the rightness of the purpose and th
Alison
I received a free copy of this novella from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the story of Mai, Thierry's kitsune friend. Although I never really warmed to Mai in the Black Dog series I really enjoyed her novella.

Mai and Thierry are attending a cosplay event (is that the way they are described?) dressed as characters from the film Labyrinth. I have to confess that I have never seen the film and so I was at a loss but it didn't spoil the story, just had me a bit
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
*I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

I must confess I haven't read any of these books so I was walking into it blindly, but that being said even though I don't know the back stories this was fairly easy to follow along with. The book explains in dribs and drabs about what is going on or what has transpired.

The book starts off with Mai at a comic con and I really found myself amused at this part because of the Labyrinth references - being a huge Labyrinth buff myself I kept gig
Emily Ever
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although this story had a pretty typical plot line, it was made new and unique by the way it was handled. First there was the cos-playing element, which many people have attempted and few have gotten right. I would say that Edwards has attended her fair share of cons to know the ins and outs of the system.

It is a rare author who could weave that into a story to make it seamless, and I think that was achieved here.

Element two that made the book interesting would be the world of the Kitsune. I a
Janelle

**I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review**

4 stars!

I was thrilled to get to see the world from Mai’s perspective! I think that the world of fae that Ms. Edwards created in Thierry’s story was great, but seeing how the politics worked within the shape shifting world – more specifically in the kitsune community, was great! Seeing that Mai is such a fiery little thing, someone taking her rights away and kidnapping her is not bound to go over well. But on
Liza
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the Black Dog series and really happy to see more. Mia is a Fox shifter Kitsune and her father is a very power man among den and rules with an iron fist. Mia is kidnapped from a Fan Expo and taken to the dwelling of Ryuu a leader among there small den. Years ago as a young girl she test him as mate and he passed the test starting a bond between them as mates. Mia memory of that time had been tampered with by her father who saw Ryuu's family as not good enough. Now Ryun wants his dens rig ...more
Linda
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kitsune Mai had no idea that her cosplay weekend with friends would take a turn for disaster, but being abducted sure lets her know that.
What she thought was a childhood friend dupes her, and all of a sudden shes locked up in a room she cant escape from. But this is not the end of her trouble and soon shes learning secrets about her own family and old betrayals...
PNR Romance, action and suspense in a great combo, cant wait to see more from Mai.
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in
mirba
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
1. This is a short story, takes less than an hour to read the whole book. The kindle sample is practically half the book...
2. It is a quick and easy read. Not really well written but not badly written either, just nothing particularly special but good enough for an evening when you have no energy to read anything more complicated

Amanda
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun!

I hate actually writing reviews. I don't have a problem with rating them but I never know what to type. However, this one was fun. I love Mia and she has spunk. So, read this and check out the Black Dog series too if you have not yet. Thierry is pretty awesome to read about too. More Mia please.
  • Entwined with the Dark (Kindred, # 7)
  • Edged Blade (Colbana Files, #4)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)
  • Zombie's Bite (Dorina Basarab, #0.1)
  • Magic Games (Dragon Born Serafina, #2)
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • Shattered Past (Dragon Blood, #7.5)
  • The Wizard's Spell
  • Hard Candy for Christmas
  • Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana  #4)
  • Resurrection (Scions, #1)
  • Edge of Dreams (Diamond City Magic, #2)
  • Circle of Desire (Damask Circle, #3)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“Siblings. Can’t live with them. Can’t sell them into intergalactic slavery.” 0 likes