Start by marking “Stone-Cold Fox (Mai Hayashi #1)” as Want to Read:
Stone-Cold Fox (Mai Hayashi #1)

Stone-Cold Fox

(Mai Hayashi #1)

Mai’s plans for a weekend of cosplay fun and games at Fan Expo come to a screeching halt when a smokin’ hot fae with a vendetta against her father decides the best revenge is claiming her for his own.

Her father cost Ryuu everything: his home, his family…and his mate. Ryuu wants his pound of flesh, and he’s willing to take it out of Mai’s hide, bite by sensuous bite.

While
Published (first published October 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Stone-Cold Fox, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Asteropê This series is set in the same world as the Black Dog series, so I'd assume yes.

Start your review of Stone-Cold Fox (Mai Hayashi #1)
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 2 Stone-Cold Stars ~

Stone-Cold Fox is a short quick read that takes place in the same world as the Black Dog series by Hailey Edwards.

If you have not read the Black Dog series then you should pick it up first. Mai is introduced to us in Dog with a Bone.

Mai is Thierry's friend. She is also a strong independent women who has this drive to find her true mate, but doesn't understand why she keeps searching so hard. Ryuu I didn't like the guy, but we really don't get to know him.

To start I don't
Jeanny
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wasn't happy with the story but that's strictly personal preference. I believed Mai deserved better. I rate it 2 stars

Lexxi Kitty
There's a chance, not sure how large of a chance it might have been, but a chance I might not have finished this story if I hadn't read four books by this author before reading this one. I don't know, maybe a 25% chance?

The whole kidnapping someone, holding them against their will, forcing them, or attempting to force them into marriage . . . really rubbed me the wrong way. I was looking for a nice good short story. Not a 'damsel in distress' story. mmphs.

Luckily I continued reading and I was ab
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I received a copy of this book from Hailey Edwards via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

"Wolves has their Alphas, Kisunes had their reynards.

Mai Hayashi, is one day casually rocking the cosplay convention,
and the next moment she's abducted by a man who was her childhood friend.
He says he has to do it for a wrong that was done to his brother.
However, when she meets the brother (Ryuu), something rocks her world.
She knows this man...but how?
Everything is screaming that she has met
Jen Davis
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this Black Dog spinoff novella was...okay. It's been a couple of years since I read the books that introduced Mai, and maybe had I jumped into this right away, I might have connected to it more. But I don't think so.

Mai is Thierry's best friend from the Black Dog series, and all I really remember about her was that she was kind of a party girl and went through guys like water.

Here, she is kidnapped at a cosplay event by a guy who claims to be her mate, and the story follows her realiz
Shasha
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hea
Wow!

I loved this addition to the Black Dog universe! Mai deserved her own story and it rocks!

Read in KU
Margaret
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
The kitsune are one of my favorite underutilized supernaturals, so I was really excited to see Mai, best friend and roommate to Thierry—who stars in the first four Black Dog books—get her own story. Though, frankly, I’m a little confused about whether this is a spin off series or a tangent within the Black Dog series—something like the Night Huntress World books. I thought it was the former, but I’m now leaning toward the latter since there’s another book scheduled to release in January starring ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Kelly
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely love diving back into the Black Dog world and all the insane craziness these characters end up in. Mai, Thierry's best friend, has been in the middle of several of Thierry's schemes and she's kinda fun. In a "I wouldn't get in a car with her because she drives like a maniac" sort of way.

In previous books, Mai came across as... I don't know. Flighty? Maybe? She has focus and everything but the way she was testing men to find her mate was worrisome. And the reason for her desperation o
Minx
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, novella
This was an enjoyable novella. It definitely snagged my interest as it went on.
A. Powers
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: look-for-sequel
Super fast read! Very unique story line. Loved it!
Ellen Williams
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mai gets a spin off

what a great spinoff for Mai - with all the interaction snippets I read during the Gemini series and really seeing her friendship with Thierry - this book was a breeze to read. I love Mai and her protective and fierce attitude and I like seeing more of her interaction with her family and that expansion on why she never really fit with her Skulk. Love it. Definitely love this author.
KindleJo Jo
Cute novella, I like the world set up in the Black Dog Series and it was great to see life through Mai's POV. Felt a little more adult than the previous trilogy (plus a novella). I'm on to the Gemini books next.
I like the Hailey Edwards's writing style, her voice works well for me and I enjoy the worlds she has created. If you're into Urban Fantasy, give her a try.
Paranormal Books R Us
Stone-Cold Fox Review

Not at all what I expected for Mai's story but I really enjoyed it.
I love this Universe and hope there are more books in the future for these characters. I would definitely say this one is worth a read.
Anne
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying the whole series. The characters stay consistent, and the plots are believable. No shark-jumping here! This is a novella, but still a good fit with the rest of the characters and plotline. it has a HFN ending.
Maria
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good story.
Thierry was in it with small updates about Shaw and her Father which I liked a lot.
I always like Mai, she is a great friend to Thierry and has a great personality.
Delighted that she has found her mate.
Enjoyed this novella.
Jerri
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great companion novella

Mai was an integral part of Thierry verse and I loved reading her ending. Finding a mate that she can’t remember and the lengths friend go to were great in this story. On to the next series.
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story! It was such a lovely novel and the characters were wonderful. Having never read the Black Dog series, I found this easy to follow. Hopefully Ms. Edwards will write more about Mai and Ryuu.
Anla Gisclair-Etheridge
I believe mailing deserved better...
Kathy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mai Hayashi #1
I love Mai's character and I'm excited to see she got her own book. I'm hoping it turns into a series of her own. Enjoy!

Read:
August 31-September 1, 2019
Torrina
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

I loved Mai in the Black Dog stories and was very happy to see she got one of her own. The only disappointment is that it's not long enough!
Melindeeloo
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - Great little Mai short (view spoiler). ...more
°мαggιє°  (っ⚈ᴥ⚈)っ™
I guess this was a cute little novella. The ending was a little bit abrupt, and their reconciliation a bit as well. I still can't really accept the fact the Ryuu chose fortune over Mai.
Arielle Pettis
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT

OMG I am so happy to find a series about Mai! I love her as Thierry's bestie, but it's way better to see her story.. I truly hope there might be another book for her.
Jojo
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun side story

This is a great view into Mai's perspective. Exactly how I pictured her story to be, dramatic and loud! Lol. Great side story to the black dog series.
Gina Gallo
I love Thierry now! And I love Mai. Now, I totally get her thing for hot goblins. She is going to be awesome at being a vixen!!!
Wendee Carpenter
Perfection

I blasted through the Black Dog series and found myself needing more. I am so glad Mai's story gets to play out!!

Wonderful!
Paul Fuller
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved that Mai got her man!

Hailey is a great storyteller. Stone-cold Fox was awesome. So glad Mai got a story of her own and her man
Judy Carter
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stone-Cold Fox

Loved learning more about Mai, Thierry's BFF. She is a tiny tornado of fun! Enjoyed hearing more of her upbringing and what a cute snot she was then too.
Therese Kent
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I really enjoyed this series, would like to read more about them. I like stories with humour in them. Great
« previous 1 3 next »

• Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
  • Chameleon's Death Dance (Chameleon Assassin, #4)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Witches' Brew (Dark Streets #3)
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Witchcraft (Grimm Cove, #1)
  • Midlife Fairy Hunter (Forty Proof, #2)
  • Burn (Nava Katz, #6)
  • Second Chance Magic (Order of Magic, #1)
  • Witching For Grace (Premonition Pointe, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
  • Writing Wrongs (Crow's Feet Coven #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Let it All Burn
  • Halfway There (Midlife Mulligan #1)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Gods and Demons (Dark Streets, #1)
  • Chameleon's Challenge (Chameleon Assassin #3)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

News & Interviews

“Siblings. Can’t live with them. Can’t sell them into intergalactic slavery.” 0 likes