Start by marking “Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)

Reign the Earth

(The Elementae #1)

Shalia is a proud daughter of the desert, but after years of devastating war with the adjoining kingdom, her people are desperate for peace. Willing to trade her freedom to ensure the safety of her family, Shalia becomes Queen of the Bonelands.

But she soon learns that her husband, Calix, is motivated only by his desire to exterminate the Elementae—mystical people who can c
Published January 30th 2018 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Reign the Earth, please sign up.
Carly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

may ➹
As a means of protection for my heart, soul, and sanity, I’ve been prepared to be disappointed by every book I read. But?? This book did NOT disappoint??? I’m actually shook about how much I ended up liking this???

First of all: This book has very heavy themes. It’s the reason I thought I wouldn’t end up enjoying this as much as I did. For anyone who wants to read this book but isn’t sure about the triggers, I’m putting a trigger warning for rape, physical & emotional abuse, torture, and (vie
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Prepare yourself for extremely heavy topics such as physical and emotional abuse, including unconsented physical relations in an arranged marriage and pregnancy (view spoiler) I'm not saying the author didn't handle them well, but they are definitely a prominent part of the book as a whole. It isn't a scene you can skip, it buries itself deep into the theme. Just be aware!

Because of this, it was a VERY difficult book for me to finish, let alone
may ❀

so i absolutely ADORED the Scarlet series by A. C. Gaughen so wHEN I HEARD SHE HAD A NEW SERIES COMING OUT I WAS SCREAMING IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS (okay i wasn't actually but you get me)

Pros
- love me some strong fem characters
- its a lot darker than you would anticipate for ya with hard topics like rape, abuse, torture, etc.
- but its not like off putting, i thought they were handled and discussed well
- i thought the book was well balanced between magic and world building as well as politics
- slo
C.G. Drews
This had a LOT of fantastic stuff going down in it, but it somehow didn't quite light up my earth. But it had magic! And a really Soft Sweetheart™ of a narrator, who I thought was coming across kind of insipid at first but then?? There is such strength in being loving and kind and I loved how the book ended up capturing that!

+ I have to admit: it feels adult.
I personally feel like YA's heart is like teens discovering who they are and learning to be independent etc. etc. Coming of age. Acne. All
Cait • A Page with a View
Disclaimer: I did skim several parts of this book because it became way too heavy, dark, and depressing. Sometimes I leave ratings off if I feel like I might have missed something crucial during the skimming, but I'm pretty confident in my rating here.

I've been dismissed before as "weak" or "sheltered" for not wanting to endure endless pain and suffering in stories. But that's my honest opinion aaaaand I read for fun/to escape. I'm not here to test my endurance level for the miserable aspects o
Andie

Having never heard or read anything by this author before, I had no idea what to expect going in. I feel really foolish for setting my bar low because this story was seriously awesome! I was intrigued when I first read the blurb but the cover left the impression that this would be some light hearted fantasy, and that certainly was not the case at all.

Despite the misleading cover, this book is not for the faint of heart. It's raw, dark, gritty, and unfiltered. I realize this book has gar
Jessica
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, youngadult, fantasy
Well, that was a hell of a ride!

I did not expect to love this as much as I did. Not that this book looked bad, but I absolutely loved Gaughen's book Scarlet, and have been hankering to read Lady Thief and Lionheart, so I wasn't sure I wanted to try something new by her just yet. And yes, I admit I was a little like, yes, yes, elemental magic, sure, sure. But as I noticed in another review: when was the last time EARTH magic took center stage? Water and fire get all the love! Not only that, but
Erin ღYour YA Readerღ
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
🍪🍪🍪🍪
4 Cookies
Da blog

School is over now its time to PARTYYYY!!! (Or read until 2 in the morning)

Summary: Shalia becomes the Queen of the Bonelands because of an arranged marriage, to protect the desert where she once lived. Her new husband Calix turns out to hate Elementae (which is someone who has special abilities) and wants to kill them all. She also has a power over the Earth, and she falls for Calix's brothe
Justine
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I thought this was really good. The themes of spousal violence and abuse are front and centre in the story, not romanticized in the slightest, and dealt with extremely well. I loved Shalia's strength, her commitment to ideals of redemption (which is consistent with her belief that problems can be solved without resort to violence and that people can change for the better), but not at the cost of her own safety or sense of self-worth. She is a wonderfully strong character who makes it clear that ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I absolutely adored Gaughen's Scarlet series which is why I picked this up without any hesitation at all. Add in the cover and that description and I knew I would get something different, something fun, and something well written.

And I did get those things but yet I can't help but feel somewhat..... disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, this was a good story but it some how fell lacking from the greatness that was Scarlet.

It was a bit slow and even dragged in places and the love interest and storyl
Jess
Jun 30, 2015 marked it as to-read
FInally! Let's appreciate the earth elements for once! The fire, wind and water ones have had their time in the spotlight (no hate but *coughcough*The Grisha*coughcough*) NOW ITS TIME FOR THEIR DOWN TO EARTH (don't kill me) SISTERS (and possibly brothers) TO SHINEEEEE
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Trigger warnings: emotional and physical abuse, marital rape, torture, relationship violence, childbirth/pregnancy concerns

This review was originally posted on Happy Indulgence Books. Check it out for more reviews!

That was an emotional journey that caught me by surprise. I'm glad I persisted, because this is such an important story of overcoming relationship abuse. I spent a good 10 minutes crying towards the end of the story. It's definitely a darker YA fantasy that is more focused on the abus
Erica
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Fans of Caraval, Twilight, and other such fare
Dear book people: Please do not use this as an example of a diverse book. Despite the protagonist having brown skin, this is not a story about a person of color's life. We know she's brown because she mentions it a few times, it has no bearing on this story otherwise. That would be great if this were written by an author of color but it wasn't.

Ellen Oh recently took time out of her busy life to explain this problem on Twitter. Please read what she said, it's important in light of this book.

Movi
Vibur
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reign the Earth turned out darker than I anticipated.
To be fair, I wasn't sure what to expect. Something to touch and inspire, sure, and while it did do those things, it wasn't the romantic kind of 'touching' and 'inspiring' that I was hoping for.
Goughen spins a tale of magic and intrigue, politics and plots, secrets and deceit - but that's not all there is to Reign the Earth, and buried in its core are themes of rape, abuse, torture, and genocide.
Trapped in the midst of it all was Shalia.

So t
Kitkat
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sandra
Jan 29, 2016 marked it as to-read
"A new YA fantasy in which elemental powers are reawakened after a genocide, and a girl realizes she has the power to control the earth on the same day she marries the king who hunted the Elementae to extinction."

Erin Bowman
My official blurb: With a clever, strong-willed heroine, a downright terrifying villain, and complex relationships that leap off the page, REIGN THE EARTH is the feminist fantasy I didn't know I needed. I will be thinking about Shalia's strength and fearlessness (and swooning over the slow-burn romance) as I anxiously await Book Two!

My less official gushing: Guyssss this book is so good. Put it on your TBRs, stat, and then lets talk about the perfection of the slow-burn romance and also the horr
Beatrice in Bookland
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"True power does not force others to make themselves smaller."

ohmygod go buy this book
Austine (NovelKnight)
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-releases
This book was provided by the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

If Reign the Earth is any indication of what's to come this year in YA fantasy, then everyone needs to start saving up because we're going to all be broke real soon. I started this book, made it 100 pages in and was forced to stop because I had to get some work done. . . well, I should have stopped but the book was so good that I stayed up far
Bright Star
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
“I will not be broken or diminished or belittled by the choices of men around me. [...] I am a daughter of the desert, and my feet will never fail me.”

You know what? Sometimes, to be a great character you don't always need to be a badass hero. You still can be one just showing your inner strength.
Reign the Earth was an example.

I looved this book! It was great in so many ways! I loved the story with the elemental magic, the setting and worldbuilding, the writing style and the characters! Shalia
Lo Bookfrantic
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4. 5★★★★Stars

Genre: Fantasy/ Magic
Type: Book 1 of The Elementae Series
POV: First Person - Female

This book was incredible, I was hooked from the very first page. The magic plot and the twist was amazing. I feel in love with all the characters.

Shalia at only seventeen years old made the decision to wedd the enemy in order to save her people. She didn't anticipate finding herself in the hands of the most dangerous man alive.

I was absolutely in love with the bravery of her brothers, they would die t
Lisa
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, bloomsbury, arc
I think fans of solid settings and court intrigue with a dash of fantasy will enjoy this one! Shalia is a wonderful heroine, who's personality and strength is slowly revealed in a natural and beautiful way.

Sadly, the set-up of the romance just wasn't for me. I couldn't connect and just plain didn't like it. That was 100 percent my personal preference though.

Definitely a solid read overall.
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
20 HUGE STARS! 100 thumbs up! This is book is amazing from beginning to the end! Huge twist that I did not see coming at all!!!! Love it!!! Full review to come.
❄️Nani❄️
Never been one to shy away from heavy themed books but.... how heavy we talking here?
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

*Review contains mild spoilers (as it was difficult to talk about this book without touching on certain points).

Reign the Earth is a story that had me gasping and praying at every turn. Featuring a strong heroine, a diverse world and an intense storyline this book packed an emotional punch.

At over 400 pages Reign the Earth took its time introducing the characters and the world. Though the pacing was slow a lot happens. It's important to note that Reign the Earth is a bit darker than mos
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of this at ALA this year and it took me until now to finally start it. The fact that I finished it in a day is a pretty good indicator of how solid of a start to a series it was. I enjoyed almost all of the main characters (and enjoyed hating the other one...) and there was some great world building and an interesting elemental-type magic scheme that seemed fresh and new.

Actually for some reason certain aspects of this book reminded me of Roar by Cora Carma
Sheila Goicea
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the Fairy Queen series
See my FULL review of this book on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

description

Content Warning: Arranged Marriage, Abuse (physical and emotional), Graphic Violence (including torture), Cheating, Pregnancy almost leading to a forced Miscarriage
”A wedding is not about lust. It’s about partnership. Alliance. Faith and faithfulness.”

It’s so ironic that this book started out with such a strong sense of
Sarah Marie
GO READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

Reign the Earth by A.C. Gaughen

First in The Elementae series

ALL THE STARS

“Show them what the heart of the desert truly is.”

Shalia is a daughter of the desert. She has always felt at home under the vast skies and living a nomadic life with her brood of brothers, sister, and parents. She is also used to her best friend, Kata, an Elementae who can wield water coming in out of her life as she embarks on a mission to restore the Elementae to their full power. As Kata return

Jamie :)
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF at 41%...

Full thoughts on my blog: http://bubblybooksblog.blogspot.com/2...

So when I first started reading this book I guess you could say I had medium level expectations (if thats even a thing) the book started off intriguing and I liked the idea of having elemental magic and Shalia was a good strong lead character and all-- I guess I just felt the whole book was.... lacking. I was instantly intrigued by the idea of an arranged marriage (especially to a man who is so against magic) but c
Meh 3 41 Jun 04, 2018 08:10AM
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)
  • Fire and Heist
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
I am shamelessly addicted to staying up far too late (it feels like stealing time), diet coke (it burns so good), Scotland (stupid country stole my heart and won't give it back. Interpol has been ineffective for prosecution) and thieves (so I guess I'm not that mad at Scotland).

Want to know more? Just ask!

The Elementae (2 books)
  • Imprison the Sky (The Elementae, #2)
“I will not be broken or diminished or belittled by the choices of men around me.” 20 likes
“True power does not force others to make themselves smaller.” 11 likes