Start by marking “The Philosophy of Friendship” as Want to Read:
The Philosophy of Friendship

The Philosophy of Friendship

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Mark Vernon links the resources of the philosophical tradition with numerous illustrations from modern culture to ask what friendship is and how it relates to sex, work, politics and spirituality. Unusually, he argues that Plato and Nietzsche, as much as Aristotle and Aelred, should be put center stage. Their penetrating and occasionally tough insights are invaluable if fr ...more
Published November 29th 2005 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Philosophy of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Philosophy of Friendship

Richard
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book a while ago. Mark Vernon provides a comprehensive, practical and philosophical overview of the nature and practice of friendship from ancient times through to the present.
Elspeth Rushbrook
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The title is a fascinating idea; the book is less so. Mostly, Mark Vernon's views are hidden behind quoting famous philosophers, so it's not intellectually original.

Mark's book is about passionate friendship but, despite the spiritual chapter, not really about relating on that level in the way a practised meditator or mystic might. It's a very male orientated book, with women only really coming in at the end. I was unsure about the way he presented homosexuality in men and women, and if it is a
Fung Yen
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very nicely structured book.
Extremely informative first few chapters for a common man like me who has seen my far share of utilitarian friendships but never really understood why.
Last few chapters got into the spirituality/philosophy of friendship that was a tad too heavy for my liking. But once I got through that, it was a pretty rewarding experience.

For those who don't like the circularity of Philosophy but nonetheless like the explore or understand certain worldly issues that concern us, this
Chris Porter
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
There is definite value in here but possibly more high level analysis than relatable thoughts and ideas. It's less pop-philosophy and more "here's my thesis, professor". I'd recommend it to those who are wanting to learn more about the subject, but don't expect a page turner.
Nathanael Coyne
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oft refers to the writings and opinions of the philosophers of Ancient Greece - primarily Plato - as well as Nietzsche and authors of contemporary research structured by types of friendships from those with co-workers to that shared by lovers.
Grace
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Now available as the Meaning of Friendship. Was glad this was chosen for my small group. It was very interesting, both for history and contemplation about what it means to be and have a friend. Great book to read as a group.
Tz348
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
over generalized
Sue Lyle
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great readable guide to the history of the philosophy of friendship and how philosophers talk about friendship. Highly recommended for P4C practitioners.
Phillip Wells
rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2012
Dittany Rose
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Could have done with a thorough edit. But some really thought provoking stuff here.
Matthew
Jul 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Growth Fetish
  • When Friendship Hurts: How to Deal with Friends Who Betray, Abandon, or Wound You
  • Man, Play and Games
  • Vital Friends: The People You Can't Afford to Live Without
  • Together: The Rituals, Pleasures and Politics of Cooperation
  • Laws of Media: The New Science
  • Het slimme onbewuste - Denken met gevoel
  • Into the Woods: The Battle for Tasmania's Forests
  • The Ambiguity of Play
  • Anxiety, Phobias, and Panic
  • Voor een echt succesvol leven
  • 101 Ethical Dilemmas
  • Everything I Know I Learned From TV: Philosophy For the Unrepentant Couch Potato
  • Conversational Style: Analyzing Talk Among Friends
  • Huh ?!: de techniek van het omdenken
  • Social Theory: The Multicultural And Classic Readings
  • Globes: Spheres Volume II: Macrospherology
  • The Friend Who Got Away: Twenty Women's True Life Tales of Friendships that Blew Up, Burned Out or Faded Away