Start by marking “Fractured Memories (Jagged Scars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fractured Memories (Jagged Scars, #1)

Fractured Memories

(Jagged Scars #1)

Sixteen year old Wendy never knew the world before the Starvation. She’s learned to put her trust in her knives, and her confidence in her fighting ability. When the Skinnies attack her compound, she's the lone survivor.

Injured and near death, Wendy is rescued and nursed back to health by mysterious strangers. Her saviors offer her a place among them, but trust has never b
Published May 20th 2015 by Just Add Peril (first published May 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Fractured Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fractured Memories

Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-r-s, dystopias, ya
Thank you to the author, Jo Schneider, and Olivia (who organizes the Review Chain) for gifting me with a copy of Fractured Memories in exchange for an honest review!

I really liked this book, contrary to what you might think as you see my star rating.  It has lots of fighting and mystery and a dystopian feel which I love.  There was just one big sticking point for me.

1.  The plot.  The plot is set up very nicely and alternates between intense fight scenes and funny exchanges between characters.
Shelley
* I received a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

*Genre* Post-Apocalyptic Fiction, Young Adult
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Fractured Memories is the first installment in the Jagged Scars series by new to me author Jo Schneider. Schneider writes about a world where the "Starvation" killed off half the world's population, and turned others into "Skinnies." 16-year old Wendy lives in a compound they call the Den. She's a fierce fighter who has been taugh
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Aqsa (On Hiatus) by: *❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆*
Seconded by Kare!
Aline
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fractured Memories by Jo Schneider *3.5 Stars * 05/06/2017*

I received an ebook copy from the author through The review chain organized by Olivia Savannah in exchange of an honest review.
I had a hard time connecting with the story and the characters at the first 40 per cent of this book. But after that, when the fights began I started to enjoy this reading. Wendy, the main character, was rescued by strangers and brought to a compound and told she was the only survivor of the skinnies attack to
Jessica Creason
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
I went straight from reading Poisoned Iris to reading this book. I literally jotted down a few notes for my review after finishing it and picked up this book. So, I had to read a few chapters to transition from Irisya's world to Wendy's.

Fun tidbit: When the author describes the marketplace, it reminded me of the same kind of common area described in Divergent.

This book was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I really can't pick out one thing that I didn't like about it. It was very well written and original
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
At A Glance
I really, really loved this story.
The Good
I am still a little shocked by how much I loved Fractured Memories. I have put dystopian/post-apocalyptic reads on the back burner for a while because they just weren't catching my attention anymore. This book reignited my fire for the genres. I was glued to every single page of this book. Seriously, the action was great, the Skinnies were freaking creepy, and the characters really made me feel for them.

So, the Skinnies are like zombies bu
*❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆*
This was definitely a great start to a series!

It reminded me a lot of a recent series I just finished, The Scourge, but this one was so much more darker, gruesome and so much more epic!

Wendy is a 16 year old girl, but she isn't ordinary, neither has she lived an ordinary life. Her life is tough and hard to survive. In order to survive, she has to learn to fight and to defend herself from the Skinnies. Zombie-like creatures that are diseased and kill for raw meat.
The Skinniest came about when
Daniela Zekotic
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author and the Review Chain (xo Olivia) for sending me a copy of Fractured Memories.

I really enjoyed this book. It had lots of fighting and mystery in it, and a new for me perspective on the whole apocalypes/dystopian thing. This book really pulled me in from the beginning. The characters were all great and the Skinnies creeped me out.

The Skinnies are sorta zombies, but alive. They have a sickness that makes them grave and go crazy for raw meat, any meat(!). I think this is wh
Kat
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
100% would recommend reading this book if you enjoy post-apocalyptic with tons of action and spunk. The plot and writing are both very good. I got immersed in the story and couldn't put the book down. This book is very fast-paced, not a dull moment. I ended up falling in love with not only the main character but also her friends because of how well the author developed the characters. There's definitely more to see after the ending of this book, but thankfully it's not a cliff hanger. Loved it a ...more
Sierra the Nerdgirl
Unfortunately I DNFed this book at 20% It did not interest me at all. I thought the set up for the book was too quick and I didn't particularly care for the main character or plot.
Soobie's scared
A solid three-star rating for this book. OK, I know, I'm a bit stingy...

I really like the main character, Wendy. Poor girl, she has one of those names... Those who are so strongly linked to another character that is almost impossible to even think about another person rather than the Wendy in Peter Pan... I kept visualizing her as the Disney's Wendy...

A girl is the only survivor in her camp. The setting is a dark world populated by Skinnies, which enjoy eating humans. She is saved by a group of
Brandon Baggett
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: entertainment
Full disclosure, I am friends with the author's husband. Usually, when someone invites me to read their book, I dread flipping through novice writings, but it didn't feel like the other ones that I have read. Jo Schneider is a professional writer and it shows.
As a seasoned reader, I thought the book was okay. It felt like a combination of Divergent and the Walking Dead. The book started out super slow for me (mainly because I am not a fan of the "mystery box" storytelling style). But once a coup
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
The synopsis for this book intrigued me enough to give it a try even though I hate zombie type stories. The “Skinnies” in this story are close enough. But I also love stories with gritty, never-say-die characters and the protagonist in this story is all that. Thankfully, the zombie type people, while providing an explanation for why things are the way they are, don’t take up too much real estate in the story. Instead there are some interesting characters and the protagonist is trying to come to ...more
Meleaha Howard
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story. Wendy lives in a compound with her family and others in a world after the Starvation. It affected most people and turned them into what Wendy calls Skinnies. They can only survive by eating flesh. Her compound is attacked on her 16th birthday and when she wakes, she is somewhere else with strangers, and no memory of the attack. Are these new people her saviors or are they the ones who killed her loved ones?
Niki Livingston
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I both read this book in a day. In fact she read the entire five book series in less then a week and now I've finished books one and two over this past weekend. Wonderfully written and masterfully weaved. The author has a way of drawing in her audience and keeping us on the edge of our seats as we tumble down this rabbit hole she has created. Highly recommend this series for anyone who loves YA fantasy and action/adventure!
Kimberly C. Winslow
Enjoyed this!

Enter into a world where survival is a daily struggle. Trust is broken and then hard to recover. Who is behind the brutal murder of all her people leaving her as the line survivor. What happens when she comes face to face with the person who betrayed her and everyone she cared about? Can she start over and trust the people that took her in?
A. Powers
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into this book.... but if you like action books, then this is definitely the book for you. Trust me, there is a LOT of action. So much so, that I couldn't really keep up with it. I also couldn't really see how it helped to move the plot along? Maybe that's just me, but it wasn't my thing.
Kathy Gray
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading and reviewing books

I really like to read different ideas about what would happen in m the end times. It seems like there are a million ways for people to deal.. but there will always be good guys (or gals) and bad ones.
KColton
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fast paced action made for a quick, fun read. Loved how the main protagonist is a killer fighter dealing with PTSD. Jeff announced that all the teens lost the obstacle course but never explained why. The fighting was a little intense but nothing graphic.
Kathleen
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this post apocalyptic thriller but will hold off my review and true rating until I read book 2 as I had a few issues with what was left out of book rather than included in book. if addressed in book 2, rating will improve and I will complete review at that time
Helen
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Was a terrific read, full of delightful twists and turns. I loved the character's as they seemed so genuine. Definitely looking forward to reading more from this author.
Tara
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!! I can’t wait to read the next one!
Asiaman
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really fast paced exciting read. I read it twice. The little heroine is great and makes you root for her all through the book.
Barb VanderWel
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Gary Holman
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heroine yes

The book was well thought out and presented in quick paced and satisfying adventure i loved every word on it
patrick kierst
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll like this.

Very well done. A bit different than others. I enjoyed it, you probably will too. Plan an afternoon to relax and read.
Tina Harding
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME 1st book in a series!!!

Jo Schneider is great with establishing characters!!
This story really grips you & pulls you in! TOTALLY LOVED IT! CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!!
Amie's Book Reviews

Length: 204 pages

Release Date: May 20, 2015

Publisher: Just Add Peril

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Wendy, her sister, Kenzie and their father live in a wilderness Compound referred to as "The Den." They are vigilant about security and avoid both other people an
Sage Knightly
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xpressoreads
*I received a digital copy of the book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

Fractured Memories is an action packed, fast paced, dystopia. It's a world where a disease called 'starvation' (because once you eat 'bad food', you starve no matter what you eat) kills half the world's population and turns many into 'Skinnies' (they're basically zombies. They eat raw meat) until they too die. It's where said Skinnies attack Wendy's compound on the day of her 16th birthday and kill
Rachel Tsoumbakos
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fractured Memories starts in a post-apocalyptic world where “skinnies” can be compared to zombies in that they have a compulsion to eat flesh, although they tend to be smarter than your average walker. I loved the immediate sense of bleak dread the author conjured up and then the later automatic feeling of confusion when a birthday surprise sours and the whole community falls.

However, I was a bit surprised, when the author had set the scene brilliantly to allow the reader to feel the ever presen
The Review Chain: Fractured Memories Discussion! 1 3 Apr 20, 2017 06:34AM

• Carrier (The Line, #1)
  • Zocopalypse (Death Fields, #1)
  • Apocalyptic Fears VI
  • Surviving (The Adventures of John Harris, #1)
  • The Smell (The Rot, #1)
  • Rotter World
  • Monte Vista Village (The Survivor Diaries #1)
  • The Dead Lands
  • The Last Five Days (The Last Five Days #1-5)
  • Torn (The Feuds, #2)
  • Primal Shift: Part 1
  • Ixeos (Ixeos Trilogy, #1)
  • Cost of  Survival (Worth of Souls #1)
  • Edge of the Falls
  • Glimmer of Hope: Book 1 of Post-Apocalyptic Series (Land of Tomorrow)
  • The Decay Book 1
  • The Summer the World Ended
  • Survival Aptitude Test: Sound (The Extinction Odyssey Book 1)

Jagged Scars (5 books)
  • Severed Ties (Jagged Scars, #2)
  • Shattered Dreams (Jagged Scars, #3)
  • Crippled Hope (Jagged Scars, #4)
  • Broken Worlds (Jagged Scars, #5)