Start by marking “Behind a Lady's Smile (Lost Heiresses #1)” as Want to Read:
Behind a Lady's Smile (Lost Heiresses #1)

Behind a Lady's Smile

(Lost Heiresses #1)

The Lost Heiresses

It’s one thing for a girl to lose her way, quite another to lose her heart…

Genny Hayes could charm a bear away from a pot of honey. But raised in the forests of Yosemite, she’s met precious few men to practice her smiles upon. Until a marvelously handsome photographer appears in her little corner of the wilderness and she convinces him to take her clea
Paperback
Published August 18th 2015 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Behind a Lady's Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind a Lady's Smile

Aly is so frigging bored
Buddy read with Layla
Carrie
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads.

Genny Hayes had lived in a cabin in the middle of Yosemite with her father for years until her father was attacked by a bear and killed. She didn't know her way to the nearest town so when she spotted a photographer in the woods near her cabin she spied on him to see if he was a good man that might help her.

Mitch Campbell had been working as a photographer for years to save enough to open his own studio in New York. When he finds Genny spying on him h
Kirsi Johnson
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crass language and explicit scenes make this book, and author, a no-go for me. I prefer the regency/western genres to be clean and perchance a bit more romanticized. Gentlemen should be just that, gentlemen. And the women should be ladies worth waiting for. Nothing wrong with embracing chivalry and good old fashioned morals.
Shameeka Alexis
10/06/15.

I LOVED IT!!!!!

Review to be posted soon.
_________________

3/07/15

Finally. It's been a month since I read this book. And my review is finally up!

My God!

I had been on a historical-romance marathon a month back. I devoured anything Judith McNaught and Julia Quinn. I wasn't very happy with most of the books - In fact, McNaught's works and protagonists were so repetitive and I could almost predict what was going to happen next.

And that's when I got this one. It was a good change and genuinely
Lady Day
This review is about the author's writing style. I truly enjoy Jane Goodger's books and this one is no different. The innocent, yet charming Genny Hayes and the protector, Mitch Campbell is a good match. I enjoy how Ms. Goodger builds up the characters' relationship, not just have them bed hopping. I also like, before the ending, her couples usually marry which we get to experience their newlywedded life. Her characters feel like real people not just the romance of the Tons' elite. Although, I d ...more
Jessica
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a historical romance but the language and happenings that made up the story felt decidedly not historical. Also, for anyone interested this book is R rated, which I was not expecting. I skipped over a few scenes that were unnecessarily detailed. Lastly, I did not really like the hero in the book. The only reason I finished it was out of curiosity as to how the author would wrap up the story. It is due to that curiosity that I gave it 2 stars.
Lindsey Ruppe
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful story!! Full of adventure near and far!
Jan Goodard
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has been in my TBR like for sometime, though I can not say why I have not read it. This was a very enjoyable read. It started a bit slow, but once into the book, it did hold my attention. The characters were very likeable, a little different persons from the usual historical romance. Circumstances have put Genny and Mitch together. She just wants to go to England and finally meet her grandparents, thinking they would greet her with open arms. Mitch was hoping for a reward so he could s ...more
Jacqueline Driggers
If you like historical romance, then you MUST read this book. It's absolutely awesome. I loved it! Great characters, all of them. Great storyline, which was awesome from start to finish. This book is an example of great romance novel writing. It's got all the bells and whistles that you want in a book of this type. A great love story, that has an AWESOME ending!
Sue
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Bad

Not sure how the title relates, but this was a good story. There were a couple of proofreading errors. (page 64 of 243) If there were more, then the story was so interesting they went unnoticed. I found the infrequent course language detracted from the story and possibly thrown in for effect. Without it I would have rated higher.
Serena
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Hmmm. Seem to be having a hard time finishing a book. Author tried to make heroine so innocent she ended up stupid. Couldn’t stand the high handed treatment of her, and her constant gullibility. Beginning in Yosemite was fun, it went downhill from there.
Fiordiligii
I wanted to like this book, the heroine, the plot but the hero was so wrong, and the reunion with the heroine's family in the UK. Everything was wrong about the execution of the plot idea. So I go with a C-. Not necessarily because it was badly written but because I didn't enjoy it at all.
Linda Christopher
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Had a happy ending and I enjoyed it despite getting impatient with the heroine for being so naive about half way through the book! But then I do enjoy a sappy romance every once in awhile. And because Georgette Heyer is no longer writing her superb Regency Romances.
Melanie S Read
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read from beginning to end

Genny is a beautiful heroine. Her Cinderella story has many twists and turns. The characters and the many twists make the story a worthwhile read.
Celeste
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Covers lots of territory. Although a predictable ending, the journey was interesting. Strong characters.
theresa abernathy
Kinda boring

Sorry I read the beginning and the end that's all I could stand , there wasn't enough in the middle to keep me interested. I only read the ending because I was curious
Geraldine Rubin
Good story

But I aS disappointed with the authors use of The Lords name in vain. Really did not need the sex scenes.
NORMA JOYCE JENKINS
Great read

Wonderful book.....this lady can write. I couldn't put it down, but it's late so I'll go to bed now. Goodnight
Virginia Tican
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice sexy fairy tale. After writing this review, I may probably forget I have ever read it. It is one of those things that fit into the cliche "it was good while it lasted" and leave it at that.
Angie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute.
Lisa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I chose this title because of its beautiful cover. A sweet innocent young gal living in the wilderness meets a rugged mountain man type to help her trek across land and ocean to get to England
Lucina

(Under Construction)

Generally this historical romance wasn't bad but I had different expectations and was a little disappointed because my expectations weren't fulfilled. Before purchasing (or in this case pre-ordering) this novel I haven't read the description and therefore didn't knew anything about the story. So I cannot recommend this novel nor can I do the opposite it definitely depends on what the reader likes or dislikes.

So what did I expect and what did I get.
I didn't knew this
Leah
Aw, yes. I finished reading this book today and let me tell you, as soon as I read that last page, I heaved a long sigh. Of sadness that the story was over, at how happy the ending made me feel, how each romance novel I read typically end with a happy-ever-after, yet it doesn't stop me from being happy about how they got to that certain ending. Either way, I immensely enjoyed reading this book.

After catching Genevieve Hayes spying on him as he trudges through the woods, Mitch Campbell turns the
Lisa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Jane Goodger is a wonderful author who writes historical books that take place in the West. I read very few historical fiction boks but I always enjoy a good romantic Western. This genre appeals to me because the women are very independent and often act like women do in modern times. This book, in particular, takes place in the West during Victorian times.

In this story, Genevieve Hayes is all alone in her cabin in Y
Monique
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The gorgeous cover for BEHIND A LADY’S SMILE grabbed my attention right away, and the content is just as wonderful! I had read and loved Ms. Goodger’s previous book, and BEHIND A LADY’S SMILE strengthens my opinion of the author.
Since her father’s death 8 months ago, Genevieve "Genny" Hayes has lived all alone in a cabin in the woods near Yosemite. She has seen a man about, and now she is watching him: he’s Mitch Campbell, who is with a team for the United States Geological Survey. Mitch dreams
Jaci
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by saying that I usually do not read Historical Romance that takes place in America because I prefer Regency Romance, but for Jane Goodger I always will make an exception because I love her writing. I have read all of her books and they are all keepers.

This is the story of a young lady, Genevieve Hayes, who finds herself alone in a cabin in Yosemite where she grew up with her father and mother. Her father has died and his last request is that she go back to England to her grandp
Gaele
I’ve read one of this author’s earlier titles and was impressed: her heroines have edges that are just one emery board from cutting: and Genny is no different. A sweet and biddable girl, she’s got a touch of naïve pragmatism where others are concerned, and a wickedly devilish sense of humor in her pranks.

The granddaughter of an English earl, she was with her father in Yosemite when he died, leaving her alone in the wilderness. When she spots a photographer, she is covertly watching him. Mitch i
Amy Alvis
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is book 1 in the Lost Heiresses series.

Mitch Campbell is hiking through Yosemite taking photographs when he feels as if someone is following him. Turns out he was right. Genevieve "Genny" Hayes is so startled when Mitch finds her, that she falls and breaks her leg. Mitch soon learns that Genny needs help making her way to England to meet her grandparents, the Duke and Duchess of Glastonbury. Seeing a way to finally open his photography studio, Mitch agrees to get her to her grandparents as
Melanie
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read every book this author had written and she never fails to deliver on story, characterization and on the “feels”. And let me tell you something. The “feels” is where it’s at when I read romance, and especially this author. I’m frankly astonished that there’s very little buzz about her and her books. Seriously folks, if you’re a fan of Mary Balogh, Liz Carlyle or Grace Burrowes, then you just have to read Jane Goodger! She is that good!

In this story, the characterization is where it’s at
Christine Woinich
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review. This is a story of adventure and getting exactly what you asked for. Genevieve has spent most of her life very isolated in wild west California. She does not really remember her mother and her father's death leaves her utterly alone to take care of herself. To keep a promise, she needs to find her way back to England. It was a delight to watch Genevieve move through society with her pure innocence in how people are with others. Mitch is a r ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 23, 2015 10:48AM

• Phoebe and the Rock of Ages (The Gustafson Girls #3)
  • IDo.com (ClickandWed.com #2)
  • Surrender to the Fury
  • Ethan (Farraday Country, #5)
  • From Paris with Love (Doubting Abbey, #2)
  • Mad About the Marquess (Highland Brides, #2)
  • A Fallen Lady (Ladies of Scandal, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Holiday, Florida
  • Everything but a Dog (Everything But...Series, #6)
  • Away in Montana (Paradise Valley Ranch Book 1)
  • India: Bride of Indiana (American Mail-Order Brides #19)
  • Mr. Write (Sweetwater, #1)
  • Magnate (The Knickerbocker Club, #1)
  • Last Chance Motel (Last Chance Romance #1)
  • I Thee Wed (Worthington, #4)
  • One Scandalous Kiss (Accidental Heirs, #1)
  • In Your Wildest Scottish Dreams (MacIain, #1)
I grew up in western Massachusetts and have lived most my adult life in New England. Thanks to my adventurous husband, I've also done brief stints in Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Naples, Italy. Although I've written four contemporary romances under the name Jane Blackwood, my first love is historical romances set in Victorian times. I've written 17 of those with more on the way.
I have three ki

Lost Heiresses (3 books)
  • How to Please a Lady (Lost Heiresses #2)
  • Lady Lost (Lost Heiresses #3)