Start by marking “Matchbox Girls (Senyaza, #1)” as Want to Read:
Matchbox Girls (Senyaza, #1)

Matchbox Girls

(Senyaza #1)

Librarian's Note: this is an alternate cover edition - 9781936460205

For a thousand years, the half-breed nephilim have kept the angels and Fallen from meddling in the world. And the angels would do anything to change that. Destroy cities. Turn oceans to blood. Raise the dead. Sacrificing two powerful little girls should be easy.

Except... the two little girls are protected
Published May 2015 by dreamfarmer press (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Matchbox Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matchbox Girls

Start your review of Matchbox Girls (Senyaza, #1)
April Steenburgh
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It starts out mundane enough- a call from the children of an acquaintance asking Marley to come over, that their uncle is missing and they were told to call her should anything happen. The mundane ends there, shifting seamlessly into a world peopled with angels, demons, and their offspring- all of which seem to have an unhealthy interest in the kids Marley now finds herself in charge of, and determined to protect. A celestial war is unfolding, and the children are at the center of it all.

What ca
Arlena Dean
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 5-stars, fantasy
Chrysovla Tzvelas did get my attention with her novel "Matchbox Girls."
This author was able to make one feel like they were with her in every move in the story. The story opens when Marley Claviger awakens from a frantic phone call from two scared twins that needed her help. Their uncle Zachariah
was missing and Marley soon found out that she was to care for the twins until he was found.
The story was full of excitement of one disaster after the other and was played out in so many celestial surpri
Rebecca
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Urban fantasy with angels and halfbloods running around the world is nothing new, but Tzavelas manages to bring some fresh energy to the genre. Marley is a mess of social anxieties and aimlessness, and her two best friends are only slightly more on top of their game. Watching Marley pull herself together as she puzzles through situations that she would have sworn would have broken her has a poignancy and an urgency that keeps the pages turning.

The twin girls are particularly well written--it's r
A Book Vacation
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very intense story with great world building and characterization. Marley, a young woman struggling to keep herself afloat, suddenly finds herself in the midst of a battle between good and evil, throwing her already chaotic life into even more disarray.

I thoroughly enjoyed Marley’s character, especially as she matures throughout the story, going from a woman full of anxiety to a more self-assured person willing to do anything to protect those she cares about. She is a very believable
Mikaela
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I received this book as part of a Kickstarter pledge. Since I was in an Urban Fantasy slump, I didn’t read it immediately. Which I regret, since this is a really good Urban Fantasy novel. The intriguing worldbuilding takes the standard tropes of angels, demons and fairies, and twists them around a couple of times, until the end result is something unique. The writing starts with a bang, or a phone call to be more correct, and it doesn’t slow down. Marley’s reaction to the events were refreshing ...more
Julie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not at all what I expected. Fairies, Angels, Demons, Mortals, all in conflict over twin girls for reasons none of them are certain.
I liked this book because I get tired of the same stereotypical archetypal roles - angels are good, demons are bad, faeries are mischievous. This book really tured all of those on their heads. Each of the characters is motivated differently and good and evil is really dependent on where you stand in terms of your motivation.
I am usually not one who li
Chris Gwinn
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little apprehensive about picking this up. I've known the author since high school and hadn't read anything she'd written since then. What if I hated it? I've hated friends' books before. And it's full of fairies and magic children and angels. Oh s***. I'm going to hate this and have to pretend I don't.

What I had forgotten to keep in mind is that Chrysoula's smart and talented and just as bored by the cliches of contemporary fantasy as I am. And it took about 10 pages to get from concern
Kiva
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an atypical urban fantasy. As much as it's a story about sexy supernatural bad-asses wielding the weapons of Creation at each other, it's also a story about parents and children, and learning to take responsibility for others. If you like urban fantasy with actual substance to it, you should read this book.

There are no vampires. There are, however, angels and demons. The book also features one of the best smart-ass villain/anti-hero characters I've read.

(Note: my review is based on the u
Deirdre Murphy
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won Matchbox Girls in an online drawing. The original cover, drawn in an unusual style, drew my attention right away. The story more than lives up to the cover. It’s quirky and enjoyable, starting with an old trope (the troubles resulting when angels crossbreed with humans) but the world is original and interesting. The girls are adorable and I was rooting for the protagonist, Marley, from the very first line, when she wakes up to answer an urgent call moments before her phone starts to ring.

A
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}

*I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up MATCHBOX GIRLS but after being introduced to Marley and the twins I knew I had to go along for the ride!

The story starts off innocently enough when Marley Claviger receives a phone call from her friend's twin nieces, who inform her their uncle is "missing" and need her help. Soon afte
Gar
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Urban fantasy from an author I sort of know, in an online sense; years and years ago we both were on a roleplaying MUD based on the White Wolf's "World of Darkness" setting. At that time in the newish interwebs, there were a lot of those around. The one I spent time on was notable primarily because the administrative staff insisted upon people actually being able to write in a way that showed basic grasp of spelling and grammar, and also because it didn't involve a sea of BDSM bars that people w ...more
I wasn't sure I would like this book, but Kate insisted that I would love it and she was right. I fell head-over-heels early on and haven't looked back.

Similar to Pilgrim of the Sky, another C&G book I fell absolutely in love with, Matchbox Girls features a main character who is not at her best when we meet her, but becomes more than she thought she could be by the end. Marley's anxiety feels real, not a mere character flaw or plot device, but real -- the kind that sits on your chest and closes
Amy Eye
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: looking for something different, fantasy lovers
Who knew two little girls could change your whole life - especially when they aren't even yours!!

This book started off pretty slow for me, but by about page 30, I was really into it. Unfortunately, I think the author tried to go too in depth with some of the explanations of things - the site that was given to Marley for instance. I think there could have been a better way to describe what she was seeing, how she saw it, and how she did it. But as it was, I had to read and reread it several times
April
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right! This book is a Kickstarter project I recently backed that has turned out to be one of the best books I have read in a very long time. The characters are real and engaging, the mythos is believable and intriguing, the story line keeps you turning pages and guessing throughout the entire book. You have to love a book that lets you giggle at the antics of very powerful demons while still feeling afraid and worried for the characters because their antics don't detract from how dangerous they ...more
Ariel Mathis
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Matchbox Girls has a good storyline. The writing of Tzavelas is very different from, well, all authors I've read. That fact alone did not prevent me from finishing the book. Matchbox Girls is a great urban fantasy story with angels, demons, & faeries. It all combined to make a great read. The details in this story were unbelievable!! I haven't had visuals like that in such a long time. Like epic fantasy, just toned down for urban fantasy. Love it. As I said earlier, the writing style was differe ...more
Khadija
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free goodreads giveaway book. A good story overall. The supernatural side of things was not well explained, and it bugged me when the main character seemed surer of things than the reader, who, in this text, is supposed to be the next closest person to her mind. Of course, it didn't help that there were so many grammatical mistakes from the printing - I hope someone edits the book before publication.
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Chrysoula Tzavelas has a very accessible writing style, which makes this book just fly by as you read it. I loved the characters, they were so unique and well-developed that you felt instantly connected to them. I loved the story as it was just different enough to be unlike anything that I had previously read. The author gives you just enough clues throughout to make you think you know what's happening and then she sucks you in with the unknown. Great book!
Stevie Carroll
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun. Marley is a female protagonist with a proper network of friends, which made me very happy, although I'd have liked to have got to know some of them better. I also had a lot of love for her starting point of low confidence and competence, some of which (possibly most of which) is connected to the world she discovers as the story progresses. Basically my one complaint was that I wanted more of everything.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
One of the few truly massive surprises I have come across this year.

We start of with a young woman who is hardly able to keep her head above water. Suffering from depression etc Marley gets a call and goes to save a pair of 5 year old twins. Marley will never be the same.

The twins are adorable. Meep rocks. Marley gets her act together and the entire book simply cracks and pops with intrigue. Fantasy and mayhem.

Read this. Trust me read this.
Kylie
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this book. The characters were great, their personalities real.
If you enjoy Urban/Paranormal fantasy I would highly recommend reading this one, especially if the focus on "romance" in many of these titles annoy you. This is a real story, with a real plot not riding on a relationship.
Angela
10 November 2015: $0.00 FREE on Kindle

10 July 2014: $0.99 on Kindle
Helen
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magic and Mayhem, Cats and Angels

This is the story of Marley and the two girls who have been left in her care. Though feeling overwhelmed by her unexpected responsibility, she will not relinquish them to the angelic attorney who stalks her. But  her struggle to protect them becomes a struggle of good vs. Evil. And if angels are good, why do they try to kidnap her girls. As the number of strange beings involved grows, so does her confusion.

I really enjoyed this story. It is a new angle on the nat
Rellim
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audible.

This was my first Urban Fantasy, first book by Chrysoula Tzavelas, and first narration by Sarah Sampino. Tzavelas creates and unique world with a lot of amazing world building. I was immediately drawn in and felt connected to all the characters. This is enjoyable for anyone who likes mystery, suspense, & quite a bit of action.

I was impressed with Sarah Sampino's narration. Her voice is the great fit for the characters, their ages, and emotions. I'm looking forward to hearing more of he
Jocelyne
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Chrysoula Tzavelas's book. Matchbox Girls is the first book in the Senyaza Series, an urban fantasy Series. The storyline is captivating, suspenseful, and action packed. The characters are great, and interesting. The world building is complex, original, well developed, and intriguing. Sarah Sampino did an amazing job with the narration. She has a great voice, and the characters were easy to distinguish. I enjoyed it. Looking forward for the next installment in the Series. #Audi ...more
Brooke
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has so many different parts that you really got to pay attention to keep up. Luckily for us it is entertaining enough that you are glued to your headphones while listening to know what happens to all of these characters and what their part in all of this craziness is. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next. I really hope it is narrated with Sarah Sampino as well because she did a fantastic job.
Tera Comer
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Wonderfully intense story with great world building and characterization. Marley, a young woman struggling to keep herself afloat, suddenly finds herself in the midst of a battle between good and evil, throwing her already chaotic life into even more disarray. The narrator that was chosen for this is one of my favorites and as always she did a wonderful job
Charlene  Kaup
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Wonderful first book in this series. Fabulous characters that interact with each other beautiful. Great plot twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Can't wait for the next book.
As someone who has anxiety, I didn't identify with the anxiety of the main character very much, which was an irritation. Aside from that, though, it's an interesting world and a solid story.
Cassandra
--Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog--

Matchbox Girls's premise thought when first approaching to read that it may be interesting but for the most part was disappointed.

Marley was a girl with certain anxiety problems who it appears has become close to twin sisters Kari and Lissa. They become really close and then when for some strange reason their guardian, Zachariah , disappears Marley becomes the person they must turn to , Marley, really doesn't want to get invol
Marsha
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
(2.5 Stars)
Have you ever read a book that had all of the right elements to make an absolutely incredible read but failed because the author over complicated matters by adding too many convoluted details? Well, that is the case for me with "Matchbox Girls."

First and foremost the characters in this book truly make the read. They are multifaceted, courageous and incredibly flawed; yet, it's their strength in knowing right from wrong that makes them successful. Marley Claviger has an anxiety disorde
« previous 1 3 next »
Kindle Deals: MATCHBOX GIRLS, contemporary fantasy, 99 cents sale. 1 5 Jun 24, 2014 10:30AM
Ebooks for a $1 o...: Matchbox Girls 1 1 Jun 24, 2014 10:01AM
Urban Fantasy: Matchbox Girls Blog Tour and Giveaway 1 8 Feb 14, 2012 12:21AM
Urban Fantasy: Matchbox Girls (Was Another UF Giveaway) 4 27 Jan 26, 2012 01:45PM

• Grave Magic Bounty (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Witches' Brew (Dark Streets #3)
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • Shadow Lands (The Warrior Chronicles, #3)
  • Invasion (The Warrior Chronicles, #4)
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Wolf Witch (Victoria Brigham #1)
  • Thief River Falls
  • From the Shadows: A Vampire Thriller (The Seeker Book 1)
  • Here Be Sexist Vampires (Deep In Your Veins, #1)
  • Unlit (Kingdoms of Earth & Air, #1)
  • The Hexorcist (A Supernatural Speakeasy Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Hell's Bell (Lizzie Grace, #2)
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Afterlife (Afterlife Saga, #1)
  • Elusion (Facets of Feyrie, #1)
I grew up as an Air Force brat, so I read a lot, mostly from libraries. I started with animal stories and moved onto magical animal stories, and ended up in fantasy. I've also gone through science fiction phases but I find fantasy more consistently entertaining.

When I was a small child I wrote an earnest letter to the creators of He-Man, suggesting they give him a twin sister named She-Woman, with

Senyaza (5 books)
  • Infinity Key (Senyaza, #2)
  • Wolf Interval (Senyaza, #3)
  • Etiquette of Exiles (Senyaza, #4)
  • Divinity Circuit (Senyaza, #5)