Start by marking “Lawman (Long, Tall Texans, #32)” as Want to Read:
Lawman (Long, Tall Texans, #32)

Lawman

(Long, Tall Texans #32)

By purchasing a ranch in Jacobsville, Texas, FBI agent Garon Grier hopes to put his tragic marriage behind him. While he is working on the case of a child predator who recently escaped from prison, he encounters Grace Carver, the only child to escape alive from the deadly convict.
Published May 29th 2007 by Hqn (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lawman, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Lawman (Long, Tall Texans, #32)
Vintage
This may be my least favorite DP hero ever and that's saying something. He's not the meanest, but his assholery comes from the double whammy of complete and total arrogance because he's so awesome in his mind and his indifference to the heroine.

After the hero mans down and tries to ghost the heroine, he assumes she's stalking him because he sees her in an unusual places like the bank and the diner. He verbally abuses her LOUDLY and embarrasses everyone but the OW. As the h's lovelorn swain, Rick
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
3 stars

The subject matter in this one was a little heavy, but the clueless, snobby, hard-bitten lawman H was typical. The seemingly meek and mild h with a horrific past actually had some spine. I did laugh at the H's antics/thoughts - although harsh -because I've read enough spoilers to know what was going to happen and when.

This book had a small commentary on the cost of Rx medications and their affect on the poor and/or elderly. I highlighted these areas.
KatieV
2.5 stars and I'm not rounding up on principle. The extra 1/2 star was for the heroine who I did like and who really told the H what a POS he was. Unfortunately she did forgive him, but this is a "romance".

This is no more than I deserve. I was given some recs for some older Diana Palmer books that I may enjoy. I wanted to give her another try since she's so popular, often with friends I tend to agree with and I'd only read 2 books by her in the past, one of which I saw potential in. Unfortunatel
Debbie DiFiore
Jenny
A sweet marriage of convenience story with a lovely ending. Hero was alpha male, deliciously over the top dominating, aggressive, and protective of his unwanted wife. He was bitter and cruel but this is exactly what I expect from a DP hero. At least he had his reasons. He lost his first wife and child so tragically I could forgive him for being so damn brooding.

Grace was a true survivor. Emotional and sexual abuse is disgusting and heartbreaking. She grew up with her mean grandmother. No one ca
Chantal ❤️
This book does not even deserve to be a DP book! It was gross and it was vile! I can't even review all the horrible things that happen to the heroine and all the crap the hero does to the heroine. Oh and the far far fetch plot and characterizations. Wow learning to speak a foreign language in two second flat and many other silly things. I will not go back here. It was not worth my time. How could this book be so bad? I wanted it to be awesome! Just so disappointing.
StMargarets
I liked this one better than Outsider because the hero, while cruel and clueless, wasn’t a whiner like the hero of Outsider. Plus, I liked this heroine a lot better. She had a difficult life (escaped rape and murder when she was 12 and then had to live with a gin-drinking, verbally abusive granny for years), but still kept her sense of humor and entrepreneurship after granny finally died.

So the premise: hero is an FBI agent (and brother to the chief of Jacobsville police). He is trying to catch
Lu Bielefeld
Cheesecake
Aou
He was incredibly awful even after realized his sadistic behavior and felt guilt, while she was the perfect saint all the time. OTT drama full with angst made me cry my heart out. 😎
Celly
Jul 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-romance
I can't believe this book was even printed, let alone that I actually bought it and MADE myself finish it! I even spent some time online searching for some sign that this was written in the 80's and was just reprinted with some gratuitous mention of e-mail and cell phones. The banter was straight out of some cheesy b-movie. That's not the worst of it...

Garon had NO redeeming qualities whatsoever. He thinks she's an unattractive, frumpy spinster even after getting to know her. Despite his better
♥ℳelody
DNF @ 20%

I stopped at the words fanny pack. I just can't. I decided to give Palmer another try with Lawless and this one. This author has a serious MAJOR fixation for unfeeling, selfish, belligerent, misogynistic, sexist, dickwad heroes who have the emotional depth of a stick. No dimension, no growth and absolutely ZERO self-awareness which is a deal breaker for me. It's almost offensive how she writes these guys--no actually it IS offensive. Am I supposed to be swooning? And having a victimized
Julz
Christel
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diana-palmer
This one is about Cash's brother Garon. Garon is an FBI agent and is working on a possible serial-killer case invovling little girls. Grace is the town sweetheart but she is holding a secret that other people in the town of Jacobsville knows about but are unwilling to talk about. This is oneof the better books of Diana Palmer's little town of Jacobsville. ...more
Jacqueline J
I was trying a few of this author's books because so many people seem to like her. After 3 books I've decided I don't. The hero is an idiot and a nasty one at that in this book. The heroine is a wimp. That seems to be par for the course with Palmer. I can stand a wimpy heroine better than a hero who is verbally cruel to the heroine. In addition he thinks she is stalking him whenever he sees her in a town of 2000. That's a pretty small town and you're bound to run into people at social events and ...more
Margo
Dec 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
The H was a self-centered little toad. I'd write a healing epilogue but this is another one where I would want him never to have been born. ...more
Savannah- Quad Motherin' Book Readin' Diva
This "hero" was the biggest jackass I've ever had the misfortune to read about. I've read books before (mostly older ones from the 80's and 90's lol) where the male lead is cold, distant, cruel-whatever. This idiot htakes the cake. He has absolutely NO redeeming qualities so even by the end, I was left wishing she had picked the OTHER guy who had, evidently, loved her forever. Normally, authors at least give the losers an epiphany moment early enough to make you root for them before the final wr ...more
Emily
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
FBI Agent Garon Grier is married to his work and has no plans to change that, when he helps his neighbor Grace Carver he is intrigued by the woman who has obviously had a very hard life but brings a ray of sunshine in everything she does, and doesn't have any qualms about putting him in his place.

When Garon is asked to help with a possible child serial killer investigation, Garon is shocked when he finds out one of the victims maybe closer to home than he expected.

Heart wrenching story, I crie
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alexis-Morgan by: alexismroark
This little book packed quite the emotional punch...a little too much at times for me. There was violence against children and that always gets to me.

The romance part was your typical DP, however, with the obligatory virginal heroine, lonely/still mourning or hurting over his ex hero, and Jacobsville's finest. Gotta luv it!!

The part you don't end up lovin': how absolutely STUPID these supposed FBI agents are!! You gotta read the book to understand, but I just can't see how any crimes get solved
shms
This had it all going on, pretty much every hardship you can think of was thrown at the h. Ok, thats a bit of an exaggeration but it seemed like it. The suspense element was a big fail, utterly boring. The 2* rating was for the romance and that largely for the angst that went with the cruelty but alas we were deprived of any kind of a grovel. The H, well...words fail me. what a complete douche.
Mtve41
Finally. This DP hit all the check boxes for me! I’d take away maybe a star because it deserved more romance between the mcs. But have to give fair rating to a book that claims to be a suspense/romance genre.

I love DP’s descriptive writing and the intricacy of hundreds of side characters in the special forces. You’d feel like she really knows the whole town when she writes her book and they’re all important characters. The melancholy of it is rather sweet and soulful.

Grace is a sweet and shy n
lily waheed
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cried my eyes out 😥
Grace girl you are a hero a survivor and an angel I am happy you found peace and happiness ❤ and I am happy your baby is healthy ❤
Garon 😑 you were an ass jerk I hated you ,you don't deserve such a pure person like Grace but .... she loves you , God knows why!
Very enjoyable read
Loved it
T
Despite the difficult topic, it was very good, mostly thanks to awesome heroine and no thanks to totally delusional hero who thinks he’s really awesome.
Dea
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
1,5
Sometimes I hate my inability to dnf a book...such is the case with the Lawman.
I have rated quite a number of books with 1 star because I hate them intensely...
But this one cant't even evoke such a strong emotion from me....it's just plain stupid!
Our main protagonists are so unintelligent that I kept asking myself have I ever read any book that had a worse set of characters while reading this one.
I can read a book with an old fashioned feel to it,where characters have some backward attitudes
Susan
Nov 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read-again
Ashley♥Alexis
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: genre-m-f
amanda s.
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, this one's about Cash Grier's youger brother.

Garon is bitter about love. He used to loved, hard, and the woman he loved died by cancer. He just can bear another pain like that. Then he met Grace, young girl with blond hair and shy demeanor. He didn't knew that Grace's suffered by awful past. Real awful.

So far, I like this one. Garon's quite nice. Even though he's arrogant as ass, but I always love when Miss Palmer pull the punches where he regret everything he did to Grace. Akk! :)))

Not
Hannah M.
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I did it, I read another Diana Palmer. See, when I saw this book for a dollar I figured why not try it out. The little blurb seemed interesting enough and since the male lead happens to be the brother of Cash, from Palmer’s Renegade whom I liked very much, I figured I might as well give it a go.

Garon Grier, FBI agent and new ranch owner, and Grace Carver, small town girl, meet under unfortunate circumstances. Grace’s grandmother needs to be admitted to the hospital and so Garon helps her out whe
Hasnamezied
I enjoyed reading this book a lot. It felt different from Diana Palmer's usual type of books.

It is a keeper.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Can't remember the book's name! [s] 6 43 Mar 12, 2020 01:41PM

• True Colors
  • Diamond Spur
  • Night Fever
  • Fire Brand
  • Denim and Lace
  • Any Man of Mine: A Waiting Game / A Loving Arrangement
  • For Now and Forever

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera

Long, Tall Texans (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Calhoun (Long, Tall Texans, #1)
  • Justin (Long, Tall Texans, #2)
  • Tyler (Long, Tall Texans, #3)
  • Sutton's Way  (Long, Tall Texans, #4)
  • Ethan (Long, Tall Texans, #5)
  • Connal (Long, Tall Texans, #6)
  • Harden (Long, Tall Texans #7)
  • Evan (Long, Tall Texans, #8)
  • Donavan (Long, Tall Texans, #9)
  • Emmett (Long, Tall Texans, #10)