Start by marking “The Office (Choose Your Own Misery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Office (Choose Your Own Misery #1)

The Office

(Choose Your Own Misery #1)

This is an ACE for ISBN13:9781626819245 The Office Adventure

A comic choose-your-own-path novel for adults. Play as a miserable, hungover office worker just trying to zombie through another awful day at work.

Should you show up for the big meeting or duck out with Debby, the weird woman from HR who keeps making suggestive comments about FDR? Play the fatty lump in your back
Published January 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Office

Start your review of The Office (Choose Your Own Misery #1)
Melki
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parody
You wake up with the mother of all hangovers. Aw, crap! It's a work day.

Do you call in sick or hit the snooze button? Either option will have consequences.

I've been "playing with" this book at lunchtime for over two weeks now and I still haven't experienced every possible scenario.

You could end up vomiting on your own shoes, appearing on television, embarrassing yourself in front of fellow employees AND the boss, pimping a coworker to a slimy IT guy, getting
Mauoijenn
I just fucking knew one day, warped minded individuals would reach out into the world and smack us right upside our noggins with a book that would throw us into a bunch of not so great shitty situations. PURE GENIUS!

Everyone remembers those CYOA books where you get sucked into a wormhole, travel to other planets, talk with aliens, find buried treasure and make the dreaded wrong choice and the story ends. If not, where the fuck have you been? Under the big rock on Mars that looks like a face? D
Bob
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
If you're at all like me, you probably have fond memories of those tattered paperback Choose Your Own Adventure novels in the school library. They were the literary equivalent of text-based adventure games like Planetfall, Wishbringer, or Zork - only instead of swapping random floppy disks, you scrambled back and forth to random pages. We used to read them at a frantic pace, just to see who could find the weirdest ending.

Of course, if you grew up in an era that didn't begin with 19-s
Jilly Gagnon
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
I have to say--and I don't say this lightly--this is easily the best comedy book I've cowritten this year.

I highly recommend everyone in the entire world read it, love it, and then get their moms to read it and film their inevitable disgust and/or horror.
Mike MacDonald
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is an autobiography. But legally, you can't present that as evidence in court.
Jason
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Haha, this was good fun, I've read it about 8 times now just to get as many endings as possible. I was expecting it to be more miserable than it was, that might just be because I'm a miserable sod!.

I remember buying these adventure books when I was a kid, they were good and it was like having a story you could read again and again and the story was always different. I read this on the kindle and it works really well. I would write about my favourite route the story took, but that wou
Dana
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. Do you have time to read a book?
No, go to #2.
Yes, go to #3.

2. You must be mistaken. Everyone has time to read. This is the perfect book for your lunch break or a train commute, since you can get through many of these adventures quickly.
Proceed to 3.

3. Clearly you should read this book. You get it at your local bookstore, where they are doing a signing event. The authors are hilarious, so you have high hopes. You notice one of wrote "I hope you laugh so hard you puke" when/>No,
Nate Dern
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a HOOT and that isn't something I say often. Or ever. Seriously, this book is so fun. Check it out.
The fun of childhood imagination mixed with the crushed dreams of adulthood.

After a night of too much drinking, do you call in sick or hit the snooze button? Do you use that last vacation day or suck it up and go in to the office? Do you rent a hooker for the evening or ask Debby to play your girlfriend for the night? You know - the typical questions that we all face every day. If “r
Hiram
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! "Choose Your Own Misery: The Office Adventure" is an innovative, interactive comic romp through a day in the life of a run-of-the-mill wage slave who's had a bit too much to drink the night before and is paying for it today. Depending on your druthers, you, the reader, can chart the protagonist's path to a selection of workplace hells, in each of which he seems to dig himself into a deeper hole. Funny and entertaining – a recommended read.
Paul Metcalfe
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is next level, top-class comedy at its absolute finest. I'd imagine that this book is going to gain some serious traction once it's officially released. I'd highly recommend Choose Your Own Misery: The Office Adventure to anyone who likes dark humor, quirky characters, and strong writing. Also, there's a really brilliant easter egg dropped somewhere near the middle of the book -- folks who explore multiple paths will be richly rewarded!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY)

RATING: 3.5 STARS

A choose your own adventure for adults! I liked the idea and the silly humour of the "office" edition. I read this a few times...different versions. It is great for when you are standing in lines or on a car trip. I would recommend this if you enjoyed reading the Choose your Own Adventure series.
Stephanie Elliot
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilariously written by a duo of talented authors, CHOOSE YOUR OWN MISERY: The Office Adventure will make anyone who's having a hard day at work feel better about his or her job. Or, if you don't work in an office, you'll get a behind-the-scenes look at what could go horribly wrong if you did have to go to an office after a hangover! Such a fun read -- you can literally start over and over to choose your own misery if you don't wanna go where it's taking you!
Jen de la Osa
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Office Adventure is pretty much on point to the real thing. If you dig Office Space for it's crushing familiarity this is right up your alley. Explore what misery awaits you with each separate decision. It's more fun going back to the story you just finished and selecting all the choices you didn't the first time around. Aces! Read it on your lunch break.
Vanessa
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
You know when you're too anxious thinking about all the things that could go wrong at work? Well, that's what you'll find in this book. I've read it about 10 times and I'm still trying to get a happy ending. It's so hilarious! I really liked it!

*Many thanks to Diversion Books for providing an ARC!*
Nicole
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Way more fun than actually going to the office, but also makes going to work more fun when you consider all the adventures you could encounter. Probably shouldn't read it in the office unless your co-workers don't mind you laughing til you cry!
Michelle
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2015
This adult version of a childhood classic is so much fun to read! The story begins with you having a killer hangover and needing to make a decision on whether you're going to work or not. Misery ensues... It's a great way to kill an afternoon trying out different outcomes.
Claire
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. I will definitely be buying this for coworkers!
Colona Public Library
This book was hilarious. I really enjoyed it. There were tons of scenarios and options. Some made you scratch your head in amazement and others were just plain strange. When your first open the book you must choose where you go to work or hit the snooze button after a night of drinking. What you choose sends you to different pages. It just gets funnier and funnier. I highly recommend this book to any one who read the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books as a child. You will differently get some enj ...more
olivia
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
well, i went through two paths in ten minutes and i'm not really interested to read another one. but it was quite funny!
Daniel A.
Don't get me wrong: I did enjoy Choose Your Own Misery: The Office Adventure, the first in a series of books by comedy writers Mike MacDonald and Jilly Gagnon satirizing the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books that all of us of a certain age read as children. The problem with The Office Adventure is instead that I enjoyed it too much, so to speak; MacDonald and Gagnon essentially drive the singular gag of the book into the ground through repetition after repetition of the same theme.

For those not of a certain age, Choose-Your-Ow
Jim
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. Have these folks captured office life. Choose Your Own Misery is an apt title.

They might give Dilbert a run for his money.

And do they have a gift for writing. They had me laughing on practically every page. Or maybe crying because I could relate to the pain and misery.

From the intro:

“Think carefully before you make a move…or don’t. Frankly, it won’t make much of a difference. None of what we do makes much of a difference. We’re all just programmed to die.”

And there’s gems like this:
Henry
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Choose Your Own Misery: The Office Adventure hits all the right notes of despair and bemused resignation which will resonate with anyone who has done time working in an office. The choose your own adventure format lends itself especially well to the exquisite cyclical hell of the office automaton. In short: the book is absolutely hilariously dark. Versatile enough to be read on a long car trip or in short bursts like when you sneak off to hide in a bathroom stall for twenty minutes. Don't look at me like ...more
Jen
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced and funny - a great gift for both office workers and people glad they're not working in offices.

The humor is dark, so if you're easily offended, you should probably avoid. But if you're like me and no topic is off limits, you'll definitely laugh your butt off and find yourself reading passages to whomever is sitting nearby. Make sure you're buds with that person, though, or things could get weird.
Amanda Heger
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid (I absolutely did) and want to feel better about all your actual life choices (I always do), Choose Your Own Misery: The Office is the perfect way to spend an afternoon. Where else can you get fired, get promoted, cauterize your own wounds, and kill a coworker all within a few hours?

A+ if you like dark humor.

*I received an ARC from the publisher.
Sophie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
This book should be required reading for idealistic college seniors (particularly liberal arts majors who aren't on their way to grad school). Might as well let them know what they're in for! This book was a super fun read, darkly funny, and occasionally a little too real. Highly recommended.
Robin
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
It was annoying! The man in this book had a miserable life no matter what choice you chose. And no matter how many times I went through this book, and choosing different choices, I ended up with "Go back to page 1." I couldn't put it down. You will definitely enjoy this book.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
So.. I'm an alcoholic, terrible worker, and I pretend to do cocaine to get a three month paid sabbatical. Huh.
Jane
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! (and hits a little too close to home...)

Haven't made it through all of the endings yet, but laughing pretty hard at the options I've chosen so far.
Paula
Jul 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I thought an adult version of the "choose your own adventure" books from my childhood would be fun, but this was awful.

The writing was very amateur. The story would abruptly end and take you back to the beginning without having an end to the path you were on. I took a few different paths and they were all like this. You'd "click here to continue" and suddenly you'd be back at the annoying first page without a conclusion of what happened. It was like stopping a book in the middle and restarting
Noel Gaines
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction

• But You Scared Me the Most: And Other Short Stories
  • Pieces of it All
  • Terror on the Titanic (Choose Your Own Adventure, #169)
  • Pet
  • Return to Brookmere (Endless Quest #4)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library
  • Prisoner of the Ant People (Choose Your Own Adventure, #25)
  • Darth Vader and Son Boxed Set
  • Clay Walls
  • Survival at Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #16)
  • The Captives of Kaag (Lone Wolf, #14)
  • The Daily Adventures of Mixerman
  • Last Letters from Hav
  • Ubo
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • Tales of the Batman: Tim Sale
  • Space Riders, Volumen Uno: Vengeful Universe (Space Riders, #1)
Mike MacDonald is the co-author of the Choose Your Own Misery series. He spent four years as a contributing writer with America’s Finest News Source, The Onion while simultaneously working as a journalist at Canada’s largest newspaper chain, Postmedia News and Journalists for Human Rights.

Choose Your Own Misery (3 books)
  • The Holidays (Choose Your Own Misery #2)
  • Dating