Start by marking “Radical Self Love: A Guide to Loving Yourself and Living Your Dream” as Want to Read:
Radical Self Love: A Guide to Loving Yourself and Living Your Dream

Radical Self Love: A Guide to Loving Yourself and Living Your Dream

Have you ever dreamed of a life full of laughter, love and sequins... But felt totally clueless about how to make it happen? You're not alone. I spent years in soul-sucking jobs, battling depression, an eating disorder, and a preference for chaos and disaster, simply because I didn't know how to create the life I dreamed about.
In RADICAL SELF LOVE, you'll begin to discover
Published June 16th 2015 by Darling Industries Inc

To ask other readers questions about Radical Self Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radical Self Love

Bored Housewife
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a book for every woman. I read similar books by Melissa Ambrosini, Gabrielle Bernstein and the like but they all sounded disingenuous and cliched. I didn't - couldn't - relate to them at all. The only feeling I was left with after putting them down was nausea.

Gala is none of this.

I note that a lot of people in Goodreads have put her down. To be honest, given the lack of weight in their complaints, I view this whinging as backhanded compliments. Shots of jealousy if you will. After all,
Heather
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
If you've been reading Gala Darling's advice for as long as I have, you have read this book before. I purchased the same chapters (she probably did some editing here and there) off of her website a few years back.

While I enjoy Gala's style most of the time (the overuse of exclamation points is distracting), the recycled material will definitely dissuade me from ever purchasing any of her advice materials again.
Marilyn
Jun 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2015
Awful. So self indulgent I couldn't even finish.
Rhea
Mar 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mindfulness
I've been aware of Gala Darling for some time, but never was an avid reader of her site. Other people have mentioned that a lot of the stuff in here is stuff recycled from her own site, but I'd go even farther than that and say that a lot of the stuff in here is stuff recycled from general self-love, body-positive stuff I see on the internet. If you're already familiar with those spaces, like me, this book doesn't really offer up anything new, it just slaps "radical" in front of self-love to mak ...more
Jenn Wells
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: game-changers
Awesome book! Full of great concepts and practical ways to put them into practice. I really like how each chapter is structured with "homework" assignments at the end. The only things I didn't like were the chapter on fashion (not my thing and it also seemed to deviate from the "there are no rules" theme of the rest of the book) and, as a few people mentioned, there is a chapter that sums up pretty much all of How to Win Friends and Influence People which was a bit excessive. But the rest of the ...more
Liesje Leest
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, misc
Radical Self Love is a super positive book. The positivity radiates right from the cheery pink cover. The book is filled to the brim with tips on how to cheer up your life, do more fun things and how to learn to love yourself. Each chapter opens with cute little drawings that match the theme of the chapter and it includes some homework as well. The tips and ideas the book gives are good, useful and easy to implement in your life.

So why only 2 stars? While the tips in the book are good and helpfu
Anvi
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I am a sucker for anything Self Love and I started this one last year but couldn't get around to finishing it. I decided to reread and complete it a couple of weeks back and boy, o boy, was it fun?! I think this is a very In-Your-Face book to everything rigidly religious because Gala talks about everything blasphemous (wickedly good in every sense of the word). What thoroughly got my brain corks working was amazingly creative and FUN, the whole process of loving yourself can be! I am st ...more
S. H.
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Her dangerous health claims stem from an obvious lack of knowledge on human physiologically and science in general. I urge you to disregard any health advice given in this book and consult an actual doctor or psychiatrist. You can not tap a disease like asthma away. Believing so points to a lack of understanding of how human bodies and cells in themselves function. This is honestly despicable.
Slug Captain
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book. This is such an amazing book and I'm so glad I pre-ordered it. An absolute must for anyone suffering with social anxiety and low self esteem, and just people who need a bit of self lovin' in general.
Sarah Monreau
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
Bei diesem Buch schwanke ich zwischen vier und fünf Sternen, denn für seinen Inhalt hätte es eigentlich fünf verdient. Deswegen werde ich es eventuell noch auf fünf hochschrauben, auch wenn es mich nach der langen Zeit, die ich mit dem Buch verbracht habe, nicht total flasht. Liegt vielleicht daran, dass ich wirklich schon monatelang an dem Buch lese und es immer mal wieder hervorgeholt habe. Jetzt habe ich es endlich beendet und muss sagen: In den Momenten, in denen ich es gebraucht habe, hat e ...more
Aman Mittal
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Written by Gala Darling, this book is indeed about personal development. I know there are many books out there that cover topics shared by the author in this book. However, this one is unique. It is indeed one of its own kind because of the language and the way the author talks to her reader.

Life is limitless is the message of this book. This book is close to being the modern day How to Win Friends and Influence People in a sense that it talks about you rather than the people. It offers suggesti
Dana
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I finished this one in a day. Fun and practical, filled with fantastic self-care reminders. As a Compassion Fatigue Educator I use a lot of these tools already but still found so many things to highlight and draw hearts around! Would be a great gift for someone you love who hasn't yet fallen in love with their own fabulous self, or for someone who walks the talk already and would love reading a book that shares their spirited outlook on life. So, really, everyone should read this.

Some distractin
Natasha Dombrow
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great way to start my year!
If, like me, you feel stuck, boring and generally aren’t liking who you are or where you’re at in your life, AND you’re ready to do something about all that, then this book is a great way to start.
It isn’t an instructional step-by-step guide, but rather an inspirational choose-your-own-Adventure guide to kicking negativity in the ass and living the life you want.
Gala Darling provides countless ideas, advice, opinions and even homework to help you get be
elyse wilson
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
i never heard of gala or her blog and stumbled into a book reading and discussion with her a few days ago. got the book and really enjoyed the direct, easy to digest advice on relationships, forgiveness, inspiration, and acceptance. the homework page at the end of each section was a good breakdown of what was discussed, with action steps. she was a joy to meet and im looking forward to reading her blog as well.
Eliza Beth
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If there was an option of ten stars this book would get them!

Really lovely and inspiring read.

Fun, fabulous and flamboyant! <3
Paris Doran
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could not have loved this more - will recommend to all my friends.
I already follow Gala on instagram and her blog, but there was so much new amazing content that I didn't expect.
Seriously - everybody needs to read this - this is what all my friends are getting for their birthday!
Amy Tasukada
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
pretty standard but I don't usually read books like this so perhaps others will find it more/less useful. She mentioned the tapping thing once but will little actual science to back it up probably would've been better to recommend people seek professional help. But again it was mentioned only once or twice so It was an easy thing to ignore.
Han
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
The book is essentially a collection of giant blog posts. It started off feeling like an autobiography but then turned into a series of bullet points.

Theres nothing particularly new in this book that you wont have heard of before if you've been a long time reader (and fan) of her blog like I have. Thats not to say its not interesting content though, I enjoy having the homework sections as I will be referring back to them as my goals and tasks over the next year and I definitely found one or two
Dearwassily
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fluff, self-help
I like reading this kind of crap at work because I know it won't require much thought or focus and in that sense, this did not disappoint. There was nothing new here, just fluffy pink bullshit, part of the trend of "making your dreams come true and improving your life!!!" by making empty promises to people in exchange for their $ (see: pretty much any "entrepreneur" on the internet). I'm all for blogging and self-expression, I'm also all for being positive and acknowledging that wishing for some ...more
Megan
Having been an avid reader of Gala's blog for a good four years, I found a lot of this I had read in one way or another before. However that does not make it any less interesting or inspiring a read and I would recommend to those interested in self-care and positive living. The first section on loving yourself was definitely the most enjoyable part for me, but there are also a lot of good tips about meeting new people and maintaining healthy relationships.
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Gala and have loved her work for quite some time. I'm so proud of her for publishing a book. A lot of the material from the book were things from the Love & Sequins series which is why this is a 4 star review. Radical Self Love definitely gave me a lot to think about and has guided me to a more positive love-filled road.
Kerry Weinstein
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gala Darling shares her personal journey to Radical Self Love and empowers readers with a plan that can be started immediately. What I liked most about this book was its friendly tone and use of lists with the cutest heart bullets. The homework assignments are a great way to close out each chapter. A breezy, quick read--I finished this book on a cross-country flight!
Amie Burton
This book is exactly the same information that Gala gives on her blog - basic, fun, and great reminders at how to make the most out of life. Although, the reading is redundant I am happy to support someone that I agree with and am proud that her hard work paid off in a book.
Gwen Lestrange
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely something I needed in my life right now. Will be one I go back and reference back when I need reminders.
Harriet
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2017
THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD BOOK. I appreciated the concepts around Radical Self-Love even if some chapters didn't relate to me 100%.
Jasmine
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Have you read a self help book before? Then you pretty much know what’s in this one – affirmations, you are in charge of your own life, set goals, be kind to yourself, etc. A solid 75% are platitudes that you’ve seen in fancy typography on Pinterest (“life is not about finding yourself; it’s about creating yourself!”)

But you’re not reading this because you’re looking for stunning psychological insights, right? You’re also there because you follow this lady and her ridiculous style on Insta and y
Melody Luna
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK! Gala Darling has totally changed my life; her teachings have helped me overcome so much, I don't even know where to start...

I found Gala's blog at the start of my self-love journey, and her work REALLY helped me become the person I am today (from my eating disorder self to a fully recovered human), and is continuing to help become someone even more bad ass!

Will this book change your life? Answer: it can, but only if you do the work. No, reading the book won't miracul
Nguyen Luan
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly an amazing book, I couldn't put it down. It has changed my life forever. I hope there will be a second installment.

Some of my favorite quotes come from "Radical Self-Love"

“Begin to pay attention to what you say and the messages you send to yourself and the people around you. It is more important than you could ever imagine!” - Gala Darling

“The marvelous thing about happiness is that, in a lot of ways, it’s very easy. You can either choose a thought that makes you happy or a thought that m
Mindy Conde
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been following Gala's blog for a while now and I really love how open and honest she is; this book is no exception. It's a good push to get you thinking about how best to love yourself and gives you steps to take if you have no idea where to begin. I bought this book for my 18 year old sister and think it's so important that girls hear this message early. As for me, not everything was relevant (not a huge surprise, that would be a very long book to reach every single person in your audience ...more
Christina
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A positive, cutesy book with a gorgeous cover, but if you have followed Gala's blog for a while, there is nothing new here. In fact if you've read any sort of self-love blog or book, there is nothing new. I still enjoyed it though and do not regret buying it , as I like to support people with positive attitudes and businesses that are out to help people be better versions of themselves.
I was a wee bit disappointed that I didn't gain any new insight, but I could see myself dipping into this occa
  • The Desire Map Daily: A Guide to Feeling Your Power Every Day
  • The Source of Miracles: 7 Steps to Transforming Your Life through the Lord's Prayer
  • The Soul Searcher's Handbook: A Modern Girl's Guide to the New Age World
  • The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark
  • The Knitting Sutra: Craft as a Spiritual Practice
  • The Well Life: How to Use Structure, Sweetness, and Space to Create Balance, Happiness, and Peace
  • The Crystal Healer: Crystal prescriptions that will change your life forever
  • The Book of Crystal Spells: Magical Uses for Stones, Crystals, Minerals... and Even Sand
  • Yoga and meditation coloring book for adults: With Yoga Poses and Mandalas
  • The Psychic Vampire Codex: A Manual of Magick and Energy Work
  • The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras
  • Whole Detox: A 21-Day Personalized Program to Break Through Barriers in Every Area of Your Life
  • Let It Out: A Journey Through Journaling
  • Literature and the Gods
  • Five Books Of Miriam: A Woman's Commentary on the Torah
  • Tarot Spreads: Layouts & Techniques to Empower Your Readings
  • Sorted: Freedom Through Structure
  • Vintage Fashion
Gala Darling’s unrelenting devotion to positivity & magic has earned her cult celebrity status & rabid fans all over the globe, from India to Sweden.

From the massive number of hits her website garners on a monthly basis to her legendary Things I Love Thursday lists, this writer, nomad & international playgirl easily transfers her enthusiasm for life into the written word.

Described in t
“A massive and essential part of self-love is forgiveness and acceptance. So while you’re making an effort and striving to be the best person you can be, at the same time you need to recognize your own humanity. Try not to hold yourself to impeccable standards, and just do the best you can right now.” 3 likes
“Only your opinion of yourself matters.” 2 likes