Start by marking “Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Down Town” as Want to Read:
Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Down Town

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Down Town

(The Dresden Files Graphic Novels #5)

Chicago wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden and his new apprentice, Molly Carpenter, intend to end the havoc caused by a mad sorcerer - one whose ambitions would have the Windy City streets carved out as his own private kingdom. But when the magical upstart enters into an alliance with the notorious mob boss "Gentleman Johnnie" Marcone, will the fast-and-loose Dresden and his yo ...more
Published September 23rd 2015 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files

Anne
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Dresden fans
Middle of the road filler for Dresden fans only.

description

The undeniable star of the show was Molly. Well, and Mouse. Because...um, he's Mouse. But Molly is the human breakout star of the show. Then again, if I had my way, Butcher would write a spin-off about her so I could read her solo stories.

description

Anyway. Molly did her cool sidekick stuff. Mouse did his cool temple dog stuff. And Harry pulled out his staff, fought a crazy wizard, forzared a golem, and saved the day.

description

I can't say this was my favorite Dresden
Chris
I received a free ebook copy of this graphic novel from the publisher through NetGalley.

Stars and stones! It's great to get a new story in the Harry Dresden series. One thing that I really like about these graphic novels, is that Butcher himself is involved in the writing. That makes the characters and pacing fit what fans of the longtime series are used to.

The art is pretty darn good too, capturing the characters in a way that's close to what I'd pictured them as by reading the books.

This story
Mitticus
2,5 warlock stars

-Original story. Set after White Knight (Dresden Files, #9)-

Harry Dresden + Molly + Marcone + Mouse + Undertown? Hells bell, yeah.

But it was disappointing . After the great artwork at Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: War Cry , this is a dive for the worst. It didn't seem the same crew of the other graphic novel, though it is :/ This is most evident in the first issue Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Down Town #1.

The drawing is very simple; and the story had no surprises, lacks 'feeling
Chad
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm a big Jim Butcher fan so any new material is OK with me. I like the inclusion of Molly and Chicago's underground. I'd like to see these tie in to the ongoing series a bit more.
Rosangela
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

3 and 1/2

This is the first Jim Butcher's Dresden Files I’ve read.
There are interesting cool characters in this series and I want to read more. :D
Erin Dunn
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Dynamite Entertainment for allowing me to read and review an ebook copy of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Down Town.

Just in case you don't know yet, I LOVE The Dresden Files series! It is one of my favorite series of all time. The 16th book in the series (Peace Talks) is going to be released in 2016. Despite having 15 books in the series so far, the series is still going strong. That is mind blowing! I find it hard for a series to continue on this long and the quality no
Mark
Chicago wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden and his new apprentice, Molly Carpenter, are being confronted by magic that seems to be aimed at mayhem and destruction and yet subtlety seems to be a new party intend on finding his own niche in Dresdens Chicago. Baron Marcone does not intend that to happen and Harry and he enter once more in an uncomfortable cooperation aimed at the safety of Chicago and Marcone's self interest.

The six-issue series I read in one go and form a nice story to keep one busy w
Mark
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
just finished read these comics, so instead of going a review for each one i am going to do it all on the trade paper. (well makes sense to me)

nice artwork, loved how the artist portrays Mouse and maconie, not sure about molly but i can live with it.

got a very nice storyline, tells a little bit more the chicago undercity which is good.

great for us harry fans who are waiting for the next book to come out.

so a very enjoyable 4star romp read.
Mike
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's an issue with Marcone becoming Baron of Chicago that the Files proper never addresses: people who have problems with it. Harry doesn't like the notion (for all his part in bringing it about) because he doesn't like Marcone. Various supernatural people don't like it simply because Marcone is a vanilla mortal. But nowhere, to my memory, do the books bring up the fact that there are OTHER supernatural beings living in Chicago besides Harry, who might take issue with the implications of a mo ...more
Sarah Marie
Dresden Files: Down Town by Jim Butcher, Carlos Gomez, & Stejpan Sejic

Harry Dresden is Chicago’s local wizard-for-hire and his apprentice, Molly, are ready to stop a dark sorcerer who has made an alliance with a mob boss in this Dresden Files graphic novel. I have never read a Dresden Files novel and I was worried going in that I’d be completely lost, but I wasn’t. The art and plot line for this graphic novel is intense and has a great supernatural element. This is fun to read and

Kirsty
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHTqJ...

I loved this book and it was my first experience of The Dresden Files and it has definitely left me hungry for more. I found the characters really interesting, although I would have enjoyed a little more character development.

The plot was exciting and moved at the perfect pace. I found myself desperate to keep turning the pages to find out what was
Julianna
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy Graphic Novels
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Down Town is the fourth original Dresden Files story that’s been published in graphic novel format. It’s a fun, action-packed adventure in which Harry must stop an evil sorcerer who has unleashed a Golem on Chicago. The Golem appears to be targeting business owners who’ve paid for John Marcone’s “protection.” Harry and his apprentice, Molly, along with his faithful dog, Mouse, track the creature all the way to Undertown, where they find its maker. Marcone ends
Online Eccentric Librarian
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I came into Down Town without having read any of the Dresden Files series. As an introduction to the series, it stands on its own without losing the uninitiated reader. Yes, there is likely a lot of undercurrent between the characters that would have added to the depth of the story. But all the same, I had no problem following the plot and understanding the characters and their personalities/motivations.

Story: A killer i
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

Offering a new Harry Dresden story in graphic novel form, DOWN TOWN is a glimpse of a time in Molly's apprenticeship that was a simpler, gentler moment in the Dresden household. This being Harry, however, there is still plenty of death, danger, and magical megalomaniacs.

When enjoying a graphic novel, especially one that is bringing to life familiar and beloved characters, the physical representation of said characters is important. This book's Harry Dr
Nicole
Cathy (cathepsut)
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Dresden fans
Shelves: read-2015
My first Harry Dresden comic. It probably helps, if you know the books, but it should work without prior knowledge of the characters, too.

Art:
Very old-fashioned looking cover art, with a garish purple frame. The chapter covers were well done, though.

Molly has cool hair, Harry's three-day beard is down right silly. All the hairs are lined up next to each other, not very natural looking...

The art in general is solid, but nothing spectatcular or inventive. Your standard comic. Animals are not the
Wayne McCoy
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Down Town' is an original Harry Dresden story told in graphic novel form and like it's predecessors, it's a pretty good addition to the universe.

Harry finds himself with a new apprentice named Molly Carpenter. She might be more powerful than Harry in some ways, but she shares some of his riskier habits. That may come in handy since there is a rogue wizard running around Chicago. A couple strange murders has Harry on the case and even possibly in alliance with one of
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ NetGalley

Chicago has had another homicide rating high on the Weird Shit O’Meter and Lt. Karrin Murphy has called in wizard extraordinaire and PI Harry Dresden as a consultant. Yep. It’s supernatural and with some help from his apprentice Molly Carpenter they’re able to narrow down the pool of suspects. When mob boss “Gentleman Johnnie” Marcone sticks his nose into Harry’s (and Murphy’s) business Harry doesn’t let that stop him from trying to take down whatever or whoever it is tha
Kat
Basic Plot: Business owners are being whacked by a mysterious, supernatural beastie, and it's up to Harry Dresden to figure out who did it and stop the big bad before more people die.

What happens when a completely mundane (but very smart) mobster becomes a legitimate member of the supernatural community by signing an important treaty? He obviously is going to extend his protection racket to the realm of the supernatural. And of course, some nutball whacko is going to try to challenge him.

This wa
Alan
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Since its going to be awhile before the next novel, or short story collection (yes, there is supposed to be another coming at some point), I decided to use the Dynamite TPBs for a Dresden fix. After all, they are canon (much like Martin's Hedge Knight shorts and TPBs) so why not?

If there is a why not it is that as usual Dynamite's selection of artist for a series leaves something to be desired. I can walk thru mediocre or bad art pretty easily, but I found depictions of Murphy and Molly, and oh
Crystal
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this through NetGalley.

This was my first encounter with The Dresden Files, even though I've heard all about it from friends. Even though this clearly isn't the first story, there's enough background information that I didn't feel lost while reading it. The art is really well done and the characters are unique and interesting in their own right. I'm definitely motivated to hunt some of the other titles from this series down and give them a perusal. I'm glad I got the chance to read thi
Glen
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I liked that we shifted to Molly's point of view briefly, but everything else about this was mildly disappointing.

Like most of the Dresden short stories, this comic is a one-off, mostly outside of the larger narrative. It requires long, borderline-patronizing explanations of what's going on, but doesn't add anything to the larger story. Meh.

Character development in this tiny, short comic was extremely limited. I didn't feel that I learned anything new about anyone. Many interactions were barely
Katie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This mini-Dresden adventure is set after White Night.

A misc bad-guy is sending golems in to Chicago & killing people who are under the protection of mobster Marcone. It's standard fare for Butcher & a nice little addition to the Dresden world. If you already enjoy the longer novels, you'll like this.

My biggest complaint is that Molly is dressed like this for the entire book. In winter.

description

I love the hair & the piercings, but women do actually have internal organs.

While it's a shockingly
Emily
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The story wasn't bad, and I mostly liked the art. The big fat exception is how the ladies are drawn, especially Molly Carpenter. Could we get the 12-year-old boys off the case? I know she's supposed to be sexy, but the boobilicious almost halter top was a bit much. Especially since this is clearly set during winter in Chicago. And Gard's half of a miniskirt? Grow up, dudes.
My other complaint is that Harry doesn't consistently sound like Harry.
"Whatever he ingested is rapidly metastasizing into
Erin Cataldi
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Great artistry and fun new story from Jim Butcher. I liked this graphic novel much better than the first one I read, mainly because some more of my favorite characters were in this one: Molly, Mouse, Marcone, his sexy vampire brother. They were all illustrated pretty close to how I figured them in my head and they talked and acted just like they do in the novels. A fun short little story with illustrations to back it up. I need to read all the graphic novels in this series!
B. Zelkovich
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fun Dresden story, but I docked it a star because I'm getting really sick of all the hypersexualized female characters. Good Lord. How is EVERY woman in Harry's acquaintance thin but curvy with hilariously big boobs and hips? Also, are the only skirts in Chicago miniskirts?
Jana Eichhorn
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable enough, but kind of a throw-away. Probably for fans only. But, I'm a fan, so 4 stars sees fair.
Steven
Good new story, seems like these are changing Marcones character.
Magda Żmijan
I present you with yet another entertaining graphic novel from Dresden universe!

As usual in Dresden stories there's a lot of action, magic, some humor and a mystery. The mystery part usually gets solved quite easily and the fighting begins :D. I like the fighting! Spells flying left and right, monsters and demons taking part in it, some mysterious curse, spell or illness that needs to be fixed. All pretty awesome. That's kind of Dresden's charm.

OK, I admit I'm more used to Dresden books rather t
Caron
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jim Butcher is a fairly well known author and that was one of the reasons I was drawn to this book. I have some interest to read his Codex Alera series and after reading this comic book, I’m definitely going to start The Dresden Files.

Harry Dresden is a wizard who lives in Chicago and occasionally helps out the authorities where he can. He has his apprentice, Molly Carpenter who got on the bad side of
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: War Cry #1
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Hopcross Jilly #1-6 (Mercy Thompson)
  • Oddly Normal, Book 2
  • Flashback: Siren Song (Yancy Lazarus #2.5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Own It (Season 10, Volume 6)
  • Inheritance (The Cemetery Girl Trilogy, #2)
  • Yuggoth Cultures and Other Growths
  • Bounty Hunt (Otherworld Stories, #13.4)
  • Heroes or Thieves (Steps of Power #2; The Kings #2)
  • Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
  • Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 1: The Ripper
  • Wynonna Earp Volume 1: Homecoming (Wynonna Earp #1-6)
  • The Dreadful Fate of Jonathan York: A Yarn for the Strange at Heart
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files Graphic Novels (10 books)
  • Welcome to the Jungle
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 1: The Gathering Storm
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 2
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: War Cry
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card (Series Omnibus, Signed Limited Edition)
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Dog Men