Start by marking “Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)

Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children #5)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  4,105 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Henry, Jessie, Violet and Benny used to live alone in a boxcar. Now they have a home with their grandfather and are spending the summer out west on Mystery Ranch.

The excitement begins when they meet their old friend, Mike. When Mike is blamed for starting a fire, the Boxcar Children know he's innocent. But can they discover who's really behind Mike's Mystery - before it's
Published 1990 by Scholastic Inc

To ask other readers questions about Mike's Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mike's Mystery

Meredith Buchanan
We’re up to book five of Gertrude’s opus, which is Mike’s Mystery. Come with me on this magical journey.

I’m surprised to find that the Boxcar children haven’t abandoned Aunt Jane at her farmhouse and then immediately forgotten about her. Disappointingly, they are going to visit her again. Probably because now they own her home and all her land, which is bringing them in billions (hundreds) of dollars, and they need to keep an eye on their investment and make sure the old biddy isn’t spending all
Jg
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike didn't do it
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: Next in the series. I am collecting the first original 19 books of this series.

Mike's Mystery could probably be said to have the first full blown mystery for the children to solve. All the previous books "mystery" was simply finding out the identity of mysterious strangers but this time we have a crime: arson, a witness: Mike's dog, and a couple of clues: a blue hat and a picture in a newspaper. We get a sense of real detecting going on for the children now. Mike's Mystery is
Matthew
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Seemingly more mysterious than the previous books. The first Boxcar Children book really trying to be a mystery. But it is about the children and their resourcefulness and independence more than about solving the mystery, like all the books in the series.
Bri Munsen
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
lol so cheesy but so wonderful.
Elevetha
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Sarah Nessler
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 5th installment in The Boxcar Children series and the story of the Alden children continues. In this book there truly is a unique mystery that they have to solve, but do the Alden children solve this or does someone else? That is for you to find out. This series is very simplistic and easy to follow so for a young person that is starting out on their reading expedition it is definitely one to keep in your wheelhouse.
Nobi Nobes
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great!
Melissa Namba
one of the better ones in the series. the kids help a friend out and there are multiple references to things that happened in the first 4 books. love the dog love in this story. still lots of unbelievable stuff like having a family live in a kitchen in a mine office building, etc.
Darlina Tato
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the 5th book of the Boxcar Children Series. This book is about Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny that go to visit their Aunt's house over the summer. While they are in town they meet their friend Mike and the next day they find out that Mike's house has been burned down. Mike is being responsible for the burn. The children working together need to prove Mike's innocence by finding the real person who burned down the house. With the help of Mr. Carter the children found a blue hat, an ...more
Irene
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
*** Warning: This review contains spoilers! ***

I really liked this book! I liked having a more realistic personality like Mike mixing things up with the always well-behaved, always polite and proper Alden children. Mike keeps it real.

Also, once again, we have a real mystery on our hands, which was interesting. This time, it's a case of arson. The kids - but mostly Benny - get into trying to solve the case, but in the end, the uncovering of important clues was more a random discovery than the r
Klaudia Janek
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny who go to visit their Aunt Jane’s house over the summer. The is the 5th book in the Boxcar Children series and builds on the 4th book in the series titled “Mystery Ranch”. The mystery in this story is a case of arson. The house by Aunt Jane’s burns down, leaving a few clues for the Boxcar Children to solve. Mike is Benny’s friend and the day after Benny met him, his house burned down. Mike is being blamed for the arson, but thankfully his frien ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Dated and stilted. The first Boxcar Children book was about a small family of children living in an abandoned boxcar, and had charm even if it was full or archaic and wooden prose. This takes that all out and drops them into a very bland mystery.

The kids visit Mystery ranch and see a uranium mine (!) in a place called Yellow Sands. A kid named Mike is accused of setting a fire to burn down a house, but the Children help him out a little as he solves the mystery. All of this is done with a prose
Cathrine Bonham
Another wholesome book in the boxcar children series, in which everyone is polite and kind and thinks that hard work and washing dishes are fun. I don't know why but the Mayberry esque tone of this book really annoyed me. I guess I was just in a bad mood. Or it could be because this book actually read like an episode of the Andy Griffith Show.

The Children return to Mystery ranch only to discover that a boom town has sprung up around the newly opened mine. They run into one of their old friend Mi
Macayla Danburg
Has anyone heard of the boxcar children before?
The story takes place at the children's aunts mystery ranch.
Henry Alden-is the oldest,helps out,and helps take care of there aunt and the children.
Benny Alden-is the youngest,is friends of Mike's,helps out,and likes to play.
Jessie Alden-is the 2nd oldest,helps out a lot,and owns their dog watch.
Violet Alden-is the 2nd youngest,help out a lot,and loves to play the violin.
Mike Wood-house was burned down so the children had to help out,got a home becau
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
K.
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, middle-grade
A house fire? Near all that uranium they've been mining? Probably releasing it in powdered form accidentally because god knows no one in this weird ass town would know a safety procedure if it slapped them on the ass. They're fucking lucky the whole town didn't go up in flames.

Mike, being an idiot, is somehow excited by the idea that his house and all his possessions are gone, never once thinking about the strain it will put on his poverty-stricken single mother. His mother who probably dreams a
Alisha
The Boxcar Children, Mike’s Mystery, written by Gertrude Chandler Warner, take us on another adventure with Henry, Jessie, Violet and Benny. In this book the children run into an old friend, Mike. Mike has been blamed for starting a fire and need the kids help. Read along as Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny help to clear their old friend’s name. This series of books is filled with action and adventure designed to help enhance the reading of any child. Each book has a wonderful way of keeping the ...more
♥Xeni♥
First off, I read these Boxcar Children books when I was a lot younger. There were some that I would read over and over and others that I read once and chucked to the back of my bookcase. Overall, though, I loved them all.

Mike's Mystery bugged me, though, since Mike bugged me. He was like Benny, only more annoying (and Benny was already pretty darn annoying). Thus, the 2 star rating. (The character broke the book for me).
Theresa Abney
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Aravis
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boxcar-children
I like when Mike finds out they have a mystery. They find out a man in a blue hat is trying to burn the mine. In one part Watch and Spotty do a race. In the middle of the race Spotty digs up a blue hat and Watch digs up a can. Then one day they find out that the man is hiding in the dark and Spotty caught him.
Leto
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a summer, Benny, Violet, Henry, and Jessie went back to Mystery Ranch. Aunt Jane finally was a very kind woman instead of a very grumpy woman. Mike, who was an old friend of theirs, found a man with a blue hat on a newspaper which was a person that also burned the Wood family's house. They wanted to find the man with the blue hat.

I liked this story because they found Mike again.
Laura Cushing
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this continuation of the Boxcar Children series, Ben meets up with his old friend Mike at the mining camp on Aunt Jane's ranch.

When Mike's house burns down the children become involved in a mystery involving both the house and the mine.

Solid installment in the series lots of fun adventure for kids, will keep reading the series
Beth Anne
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, 2014
Read aloud to Emma. We did the majority of the book (100 pages) in one afternoon. She wanted desperately to know what happened next, but I felt the plot was severely lacking. I guess my memory from reading these growing up is super foggy. We are going to need some different books to scratch Emma's mystery story bug!
Lucy Weaver
Well it was really good. If I had just read it when I was younger i would have enjoyed it even more but I still loved it.I recomend it to 6-9 year olds. I will not spoil it for people though, but it is a really interesting book.
Seth
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Benny's friend Mike is blamed for a fire at the children's ranch! The fire was at Mike's own house! Mike's mother is going to bake pies for miners mining for Indian stuff. The culprit of the fire is found and so is a land mine at the mine! Who is the culprit????????????
Taylor
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
I thought that it was cool to race dogs! It was also cool that instead of winning the race the dogs were distracted and found something hidden under the ground that gave them a clue in their mystery. It was great how the mystery took place at a major character's house.
Traci
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book tonight with my kids and we love the Boxcar Books...they are so fun and simple for children to read and yet they are entertaining enough for parents to enjoy while reading them to their children. We will continue...there are many more to be read!
Jessica
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read, as expected. It is enjoyable to watch the children learn and friendships grow through the series. Reading the series as a parent gives a new view point witness the action. I love being caught up in the series and realize I can picture it so vividly because of my own children.
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The Secret Santa (Nancy Drew: Notebooks, #3)
  • Mandie and the Medicine Man (Mandie Books, #6)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Bobbsey Twins on a Houseboat (Bobbsey Twins, #6)
  • The Littles And The Trash Tinies
  • The Arctic Patrol Mystery (Hardy Boys, #48)
  • The Lucky Lottery (A to Z Mysteries, #12)
  • Cam Jansen and the First Day of School Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #22)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH ...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...

The Boxcar Children (1 - 10 of 145 books)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #6)
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #9)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)
  • Caboose Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #11)
“All the children rushed over to Aunt Jane. All but Mike. He just stood and looked at the paper in her hand.” 1 likes
“Maggie had sent up a large basket of sandwiches and salad and pink lemonade with ice in it.” 1 likes