Start by marking “Bad Pirate” as Want to Read:
Bad Pirate

Bad Pirate

Barnacle Garrick is bold and saucy and selfish. For a pirate captain, that is good. His crew are all scurvy selfish sea dogs. But daughter Augusta is shy, polite, and selfless. For a pirate, that’s not good. In a terrible storm, a sail rips, and Augusta can prove her worth.
Published 2015 by Pajama Press

To ask other readers questions about Bad Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Pirate

Barbara
Augusta Garrick is just too doggone kind-hearted to be a good pirate. Her father, Barnacle Garrick, tries to school her into the proper behavior for a pirate, but she's just too nice. But during a fierce storm she proves her mettle by scaling the heights and repairing a ripped sail. As the story shows, Augusta has her own way of doing things, and is bold in her own right. Were it not for her selflessness, the pirates and the ship might have perished. The beautifully-colored illustrations show th ...more
Jason
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
But, honestly, a pirate can't really be selfish at all because it takes a crew to run a ship. More accurately, they're probably loyal to their shipmates (for the most part) and disloyal to anyone else. Otherwise, you're not going to have much success as a crew. Books like this frustrate me because they reduce historical figures to one-dimensional tropes. Great art, though.
Jill
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are fabulous. I like the idea of the pirate being a girl, for a change, but the story really makes no sense. If everyone is to be selfish and never help, how does anything get done on a ship? Still, kids should enjoy the pirate dogs, which sure are fun to look at.
The captain wants all his pirates to be saucy and bold and selfish, too bad his daughter is saucy, bold, and selfless. Can she learn to fit in? Can they learn to accept her?

Too much moral screaming at the reader and not enough plot. The illustrations are the best part of this one. Although, die hard pirate fans will probably enjoy it.
Tori
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The tale of a young pup who's too good at being good to be a bad-natured pirate. As she stands up to her father, the pirate captain, she shows the crew that a good person can be a good pirate too.
This one is basically made for Talk Like a Pirate Day. It's full of pirate speech, and the part where the characters are all talking dogs only adds to the fun.
Cecilia
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG I adored this book! I loved that the pirates were dogs, and loved that it was a book about a good dog that is bad at being a pirate because she's too nice (especially since that niceness saves the day!).
Donna Mork
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Girl pirate tries to be saucy and bold...but can't quite manage the selfish part of it. Ends up helping everyone and saving the ship. Changes her father the captain's mind to not be selfish but selfless.
The Brothers
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A cut-throat pirate dog captain berates his daughter-dog-ship-mate for being too thoughtful and kind. Of course events transpire where her kindness and thoughtfulness save the day.

Illustrations are worth the read.
The Library Lady
Nov 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
If you're into dressed up dogs and/or morality tales with the moral outlined in boldest black ink, this might be your book. As for me, I'd like to make whichever reviewer conned me into buying this walk the plank. Arrrrr!
An Odd1
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fun
Full-page color splashing threatening waves and pirate dogs push the tale beyond moral simply told. I'd like to find more by illustrator Griffiths. I want to reach out and feel the salty sea and curly fur.
Ellen
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pirate books are always fun to read, and this one even has a great message.
Candice
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bad Pirate was such a good light-hearted read. Kids who love piratey stories would enjoy it immensely.
Juliana Lee
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sandy Brehl
I'm not a knee-jerk fan of pirate books, although many kids are. This, however, surprised me on many levels: the effective use of "pirate talk" (both dialect and specific vocabulary/puns), the richly detailed setting and specific elements of ships, and the remarkably expressive faces and body language of these dog-pirates. I found myself grinning through every page, slowing down to explore each nook and cranny, even returning to it more than once when I finished reading. The "lesson" was more ob ...more
Nick
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Only a weird logic flaw kept me from giving this book a fourth star, and that has to do with a misuse of the words "selfish" and "selfless."
Playing a mean trick on another pirate and thus endangering the ship is not "selfish," just unkind and a little foolish. Saving the ship you're on, while you're still on it, is not inherently "selfless."
The terms, as used, may confuse kids.
The artwork is gorgeous, and the main characters are good, but it could have been better with a touch better editing.
Mary
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
So the captain's motto is that a good pirate has to be saucy, bold, and selfish. His daughter, Augusta, seems to be none of those. Trying to please her father she throws the wooden leg of one of the crew off the ship. Why is this considered selfish?

Lots of pirate lingo appears in this book making it hard to read for those unfamiliar with the language yet easy and exciting for kids who love everything pirate.
Barbra
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Young Augusta just cannot follow in her Pirate father’s footsteps. She longs to help, to be kind-hearted and to be selfless, all bad qualities of a good pirate. Filled with fun pirate talk and standout illustrations readers five to eight will love the depiction of these pirate dogs and learn about standing up for who you are.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
A story of how to be a pirate - told with dog pirate characters! Captain Barnacle tells his daughter Augusta that you must be "saucy, bold, and selfish" to be a pirate. Augusta tries to figure out how to show her father that she can be a great pirate. I love the pirate language throughout with phrases such as "scurvy scabs" and "scuttle-butt." This would be a fun read aloud.
Matthew
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am finding it somewhat difficult (and yes I realize you are supposed to use your imagination) to get past dogs in shoes. And the idea of dogs as pirates is a curious choice. The story felt, in progression, to be a bit disjointed.
PWRL
Aug 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-new
O
Garren
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Fun to read aloud. Saucy dogs.
Heather
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A book about pirates, with a moral = love it! Reading the captain father's dialogue is pure fun and the illustrations are fantastic.
Rachel
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pirates
The illustrations are amazing!
Wendy Kuzma
Cute story with a lesson about the benefits of being selfless.
Angie  Moore
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute pirate story
Samantha
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Definitely a great new one for Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Awjtf
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
What a great book! Pirate dogs!
Edward Sullivan
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lively, humorous tale of canine buccaneers featuring plenty pirate speak and nautical talk. Great illustrations by Dean Griffiths.
dennis
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
excellent art, so-so story
Carrie Charley Brown
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kari-Lynn Winters is an award-winning picture book author, playwright, and scholar who enjoys being in the classroom in any of these capacities. She holds a position at Brock University as an associate professor of drama-in-education and literacy. Her graduate work, which was completed at the University of British Columbia, focused on combining the arts with reading and writing.

When Kari-Lynn beg