Start by marking “Destiny (Rogue Angel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Destiny (Rogue Angel, #1)

Destiny

(Rogue Angel #1)

Unabridged
Audio CD, 360 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by Graphic Audio (first published July 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Destiny, please sign up.
Strigas I would say that it is best to read the books in order, simply because the relationships between the various constant characters are constantly…moreI would say that it is best to read the books in order, simply because the relationships between the various constant characters are constantly evolving and the main character does grow from her experiences even though each title is written by a different author, and to me, that growth is paramount to the series. If you can't find one of them something it wouldn't be the end of the world or anything. Just my 2cents(less)

Choko
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy audio-read with my friends at BB&B!

Now that is what I call cool audio!!! This was fun, since the first time I read it when it first came out in paper format years ago, and I remember enjoying it then as well. I always look upon this series as on a TV series with a new episode out every month. Full of action, not to complicated, a main MC who is a modern-day supper woman, and many tidbits of history, mythology and a healthy mix of action scenes, sward and gun fights, adventur
Marie
I decided to try out this series as I had noticed through my library that they had over 40 books in the series, so I wanted to try something just a little bit different. By looking through the reviews on here, this book is up and down from one stars to five stars, which tells me that it is random for some people and what impressed or didn't impress them. I am in the impressed category as with this first book it grabbed me right away in the first chapter with some action continuing on with myster ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
This was the first Graphic Audio read I’ve completed and that made this book a lot of fun. I liked the sound affects and the cast, it really was like a movie in my head.

Annja is an archaeologist and works for something akin to the National Inquirer but for history. She is better than the place she works for but it pays the bills and lets her travel the world to research histories. This takes her to investigate a serial killing wolflike beast that is thought to have killed around 40 people before
Cyndi
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Choko for setting me up with this series!! Graphic audio is so cool! Its like the old BBC radio shows, but better. Sound effects and wonderful actors.
This is the beginning of the series by Alex Archer that begins with Joan of Arc and her sword that ends up in the hands of our amazing heroine, archaeologist Annja Creed.
People keep trying to kill her, but Annja is way too tough. Excellent series! On to the next one.😘
graveyardgremlin
Jun 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one with a working brain
Have you ever been reading a book when all of a sudden a turn of phrase, an offensive passage, or something altogether different pops up and it all comes to a screeching halt? Whatever it is, it bothered you so much that it colored the rest of your reading and you just couldn't go on, whether or not it was an irrational reaction. In my case it happened with the first paragraph, chapter two (pg. 26):
The rental Avery had arranged turned out to be an old Renault pickup truck. If Annja had been a la
Kerry *Soulcaster*
*3 stars*

This was lots of fun to listen to, but I doubt if I would have enjoyed it as much if I had read it. The audio book has loads of great sound effects and a multi cast. I would recommend it if you want to rest up after a challenging read - it's fast paced, over-the-top, believe the unbelievable, action/adventure escapism. Thank you Choko! :)
Maria Dimitrova
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really weird for me because up until now I've never encountered this type of audiobook. It's actually great because it really brings the book to life and yet the constant audio effects distract me. Thankfully the plot is pretty simple and easy to follow and Annja - the protagonist of the series is a likeable one. She reminds me of Buffy. The whole book brought memories of that awesome show.

The book is very action oriented and it's structure is similar to that of a TV show episode. I li
catechism

- guns
- anthropology
- ethnography
- motorcycle tricks
- television production & special effects
- writing books
- being on Letterman
- being super hot

she's like... 24? In short, this book was hilariously, catastrophically stupid. I read it because I was at a truck stop and apparently the audio book is a popular choice? who knew. It was on my reader so I
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
I’m giving this book two stars because I actually finished it. I liked the characters at first, but as the book progressed, I felt that they started to become very annoying. “Oh Roux thinks he’s always right.” “Garin is an asshole.” “Annja can kick anyone’s ass and knows everything about everything.”

I thought Annja’s fighting abilities got out of hand by the end of the book. She learned karate from the nun’s in New Orleans??! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. The fight scenes
Timothy Mayer
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gentlemen, I give you the Rogue Angel series.

With all the “new pulp” talk these days, it’s time to start looking at some contemporary novel series. The 70′s and 80′s were good for the men’s action adventure books, this millennia, not so good. I keep expecting kindle and e-book publishing to solve that little problem, but in the meantime, Let’s see what else is out there.

Unleashed upon the world by Gold Eagle, the Mr. Hyde version of Harlequin Romance, in 2006, the series is up to #40 at the pres
Talizmyn
Well, for starters, the beginning of this book is very off-putting. It's one of those series that I can tell the writing style is going to bug me endlessly. The writing itself, too, was very awkward at times and often told me who Annja was, rather than show me through her actions. In this way I found it condescending, almost as if this book were intended for a much younger, and less intelligent, audience. As an added bonus, Annja is the Maryest of all Sues. She has some type of martial art skill ...more
Rolf
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It doesn’t get much more “fluffy” than this, but then again, that’s not totally a bad thing. If you’re looking for a quick, action-packed read, this book will fit the bill. The character of Annja is just a little too Lora Croft to be completely comfortable (and as such, just a little too perfect as well), but that doesn’t overly detract from the fun ride. This is adventure pulp for the 2000’s and it’s pulp done well and the perfect tonic after a few too many “serious” books.
Ringman Roth
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ashley Wright, Kat Sterner, Katana, Shelverman
If you are a history/mythology buff and liked Indiana Jones but hated the portrayal of Laura Croft, this is the book to pick up. She's a positive female role model, who doesn't fall prey to the over-sexed stereotype which actually gets lamp shaded in some parts. The book itself is a mix of fantasy/Historical fiction and a good one for comic lovers.

Furthermore, you learn some history about Joan of Arc, and La Bête du (The beast of) Gévaudan. The story stands alone, so you don't have to worry abo
Blodeuedd Finland
Jun 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
I was not impressed by this book, it felt rather B. Like the show Relic Hunter, a total B tv-series, but still at least that show was funny while this book was lacking.

I also saw that there are like 40 books out! All with the same plot. Annja finds an artifact, is hunted by bad guys, kidnapped yada yada. The first few books are written by one author, the rest by different ones so I am sure there is a difference in quality too. I decided not to read any more.

Yup Annja, she is great at everything
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
2.5 stars. This book had a very intriguing idea; it's sort of a cross between Indiana Jones and the TV show Relic Hunter with a hint of magic. I was excited by the idea, but ultimately Destiny ended up being kind of meh for me.

I just didn't like the main character, Annja. There was a lot of telling instead of showing. For example, we were told quite a lot that Annja is a people person and loves to talk with the locals, but I didn't really feel like she was that friendly. I was also frustrated by
Doug
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun. Fun. Fun! Superficial -yes, Goofy -yes. Flawed in the sense that the characters are perfect specimens, egotistical, and wealthy..... Yep! I read this book and subsequently another 12 of them for the sheer fun of it. They are a break from the mundane. Fodder for the soul and are fun. Do not read them if you have to criticize everything because you will write more than the stories are long. Just escape and enjoy.
Maria Dimitrova
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it

Paraphrodite
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened, 2019
4 stars.

I quite enjoyed this action-packed first outing for Annja Creed from Graphic Audio. A few things left unexplained but what the heck, it was fun! But I think the SWORD needs a cool name... hope it gets one in the coming books!
L.D.
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for lunch breaks and such.
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Destiny is the first novel in the prolific "Rogue Angel" series written by Alex Archer.

Here's the synopsis for Destiny courtesy of Fantastic Fiction:

An ancient order tied to the Vatican...
A blood fortune buried in the caves of France...
A conspiracy of power, greed and darkest evil...

Archaeologist and explorer Annja Creed's fascination with the myths and mysteries of the past leads her to a crypt in the caves of France, where the terrifying legend of the Beast of Gevaudan hints at the unimaginab
Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I wasn't sure what this book would be like. The jacket makes it seem like a cross between Indiana Jones, The DaVinci Code, and a typical urban fantasy novel. I guess in some ways that is true, but overall it is just an enjoyable read. The main character, Annja, is strong, tough, intelligent, and beautiful, as is to be expected with a typical urban fantasy novel. On the up side, she doesn't have the answers for everything, is willing to ask for help, and sometimes puts her trust in the wrong peop ...more
Ellese
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First things first, I listened to this as an audiobook. As a bibliophile, I love all things text so this was a bit weird for me to say I have finished this 'book'. That out of the way, I really did enjoy it! I listened on a long trip up to the Midwest and it helped pass the time admirably.

I have listened to another in this series so I was already somewhat familiar with the story, but hearing the beginning made much more sense. I enjoyed the characters, the ruthlessness with which they fought, an
Jess
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, fiction
I wasn't sure what shelf to put this book in. It was a mix of suspense, history, a little supernatural, and a lot of action. It was a cross between Lara Croft and Indiana Jones.

The main character Annja is just trying to make a decent living as an archeologist. To supplement her income she works on a TV show that investigates historical mysteries. When the book starts off, Annja is investigating the mystery of Le Bete, supposedly a werewolf, that lived at one time in France. While searching for p
Barbara
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I feel a bit guilty giving this 3 stars when the previous book I read only got 2, even though it was better written than this one.

The plot here is preposterous. Even the most corrupt police force can't cover up that many running gun battles in the French countryside. The main character is an appalling Mary Sue. She's smart, well educated, speaks several languages, is drop dead gorgeous and can kick arse even before she comes into her mystical powers.

On the other hand, it is a lot of fun. I enjo
Karen
May 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I'm going back and forth on whether this should be considered YA friendly or not. In terms of sexual content and language, there are no problems, but some of the fight scenes are fairly graphically described. I'm having a hard time deciding if they are as bad as some that I've recommended for YA before, but my memory isn't great.

Overall the book seems to be very Tomb Raider-esque in terms of character and content. Lots of exploring in caves, looking for artifacts, keeping the bad guys from getti
Ines
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
Archaeologist Annja Creed is in France trying to find material for a piece on a local monster for a sensational TV show. Annja ends up finding that the beast really existed, but the most pressing mystery is to figure out why she is being followed by assassins and a brotherhood of monks. Turns out Annja's destiny is bigger than she ever thought as she ends up with a magic sword that only obeys to her.

I'm assuming this is the type of series filled with adventures that involve Annja kicking and fig
Joy
I've been meaning to start this series for ages. It's a bit daunting as there are 40+ books to it and I often worry that something that goes on that long is a real potboiler (old word I know, look it up.)

I was actually very pleased with both the quality of the hero and the action involved. The writing makes an enjoyable read with well developed personalities and just a touch of magic. Going on to book two so I'll wait and see how well it all holds up. FYI: They are short books
Grazzit
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Made it to book 7, by book 7 the heroine had found 5 world changing treasures, and still had to scrape to by to live.

Nothing really changed except what new thing she was after. just wow. however the stories weren't bad, but couldnt take the carbon copy life
LunaMoon
I would read the rest if I had them, but I dont and I probably wont go out of my way to get the rest of them. the book itself was not bad, it just did not leave me itching to read the next one
Rebecca
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up on Tomb Raider games and Indiana Jones movies, I naturally enjoyed this book. Annja fits right into the adventuring archaeologist story, complete with pistols blazing (and, well, a sword).

The good: Science is cool.
The level of detail provided as the story unraveled represented the main reason I gave a high score to this novel. The bits and pieces of the puzzle wove so well together that a lot of the story's weak points seemed negligible at times. As a fan of Aaron Elkin's Gideon Oliv
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • Devil's Due (Red Letter Days, #2)
  • The Network
  • The Call of the Sword (Chronicles of Hawklan, #1)
  • Eyes of Crow (Aspect of Crow, #1)
  • Torn (The Blood Lily Chronicles, #2)
  • Waking the Dead (Laying a Ghost, #3)
  • Blood Bargain (Blood Lines, #2)
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • The Nymphos of Rocky Flats (Felix Gomez, #1)
  • Ignition (Ignition Trilogy, #1)
  • Crossing Over
  • Before I Wake (Nightmare Chronicles, #1)
  • A Call to Arms
  • The Dark Storm (Dark Storm #1)
  • Hunter's Prayer (Jill Kismet, #2)
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
A house name for the Rogue Angel series, published by the Harlequin Publishing's Gold Eagle division.

The first eight novels were written by Victor Milan and Mel Odom. New writers joining the series starting with book nine include Jon Merz and Joseph Nassise.

Rogue Angel (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • Solomon's Jar (Rogue Angel, #2)
  • The Spider Stone (Rogue Angel, #3)
  • The Chosen (Rogue Angel, #4)
  • Forbidden City (Rogue Angel, #5)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Rogue Angel, #6)
  • God of Thunder (Rogue Angel, #7)
  • Secret of the Slaves (Rogue Angel, #8)
  • Warrior Spirit (Rogue Angel, #9)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Rogue Angel, #10)
  • Provenance (Rogue Angel, #11)