Start by marking “Wayward, Vol. 2: Ties That Bind” as Want to Read:
Wayward, Vol. 2: Ties That Bind

Wayward, Vol. 2: Ties That Bind

(Wayward #2)

After the traumatizing finale of volume one, everything has changed for our supernatural teens. Who is Ohara and how does she fit into the great pattern of destiny and power that will change Japan forever? Jim Zub (Conan/Red Sonja, Samurai Jack) and Steve Cummings (Deadshot, Legends of the Dark Knight) continue their supernatural spectacle that combines the camaraderie and ...more
Published August 26th 2015 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wayward, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wayward, Vol. 2

Sam Quixote
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Set three months after the end of the first volume, we’re introduced to a new main character from the start: Ohara Emi, another Japanese teenager in Rori’s school who’s suddenly begun manifesting magical powers for no reason. And, though it’s only the second volume, this is where I say goodbye to Wayward!

My biggest complaint about the first book was Jim Zub’s sloppy writing – he introduced the characters poorly while failing to establish the story or explain how and why anything was happening. H
Chris
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image-comics
Now this is how you hook readers in with a second volume.

In my review of Wayward's first tpb, String Theory, I mentioned that Image's low price point for their Vol. 1's makes their series tempting to pick up, but the creative team then have to keep you coming back. Well, Jim Zub, Steve Cummings and now-regular colourist Tamra Bonvillain have done just that. Ties That Bind ups the ante, not only introducing new faces, but also developing the existing cast beyond their simple introductions in the
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, comics, image
Everything the first one was...but fuller. Which is a good thing, everything is more fleshed out now and I have a better idea of where things are headed.

The art is still FANTASTIC and overall the whole vibe of the book is exactly what I am in the mood for. A nice YA feeling, slightly manga(ish), character adventure.
Morgan
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume gets a lot more interesting than the previous volume. We learn a lot more about the other characters and it's very clear they all have some well developed stories ahead. I'm glad this book is turning into something more than "monster of the week" plot. They bring back some of the yokai too.

Yet again with this volume Japan is a major theme. Not only does the comic take place in Tokyo, but it's all about the folklore mixing with modern day customs. Learned about a brand new thing calle
TJ
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
The story starts to come together in book 2, seems like the series is getting stronger. The art is amazing, some of the best I have seen in a comic.
Jesse Nicholas
Great character development and insight on their lives. More of the magic and lore is explained. And of course the kickass fight scenes and the cool new girl!
Christine
Good follow up to the first volume. I like the introduction of new characters and the solving of some mysteries.
Yon Nyan (BiblioNyan)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
🕷The second volume takes the foundation from volume one and builds upon it with new characters.
🕷Plot is intricate & has much more depth & dimension with its progression.
🕷Still very tropey & clichéd, in regards to both Western superhero comics and certain supernatural anime/manga elements.
🕷Still rather predictable.
🕷The world & special characters are very much reminiscent to Mutants from X-Men.
🕷The overarching premise is still slightly vague.
🕷Worried the story is slightly ambitiou
Anastasiaadamov
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I had read the first volume again before starting.
Cliffhanger ending aside there are lots of stuff going on in these graphic novels.
Story keeps my eyes glued to the pages and I love reading the articles at the end.
Japanese mythology is relatively unknown to me and I loved the feeling of discovery!
Will Robinson Jr.
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
FANTASTIC. Wayward vol. 2 is ten times better than the first volume. The artwork is quite simply some of the best illustrations I have seen in comics today. The full spread pages are just plain beautiful. The cast of characters are really starting to grow on me. I loved the fact that writer Jim Zub introduces a new character in this volume and reintroduces us into this modern Japanese myth from a totally different perspective. This series feels like it should be written as part of the Marvel or ...more
Aildiin
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The arts remain very good, the story improves a little.
Ross Alon
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
As in in first volume the plot takes us to places we already met in 1000 other stories. It's done okay I guess, but misses the point completely.
The story itself take place in japan, but you could easily move it to America and not change a thing. It's only in japan because the writer wanted to use Japanese mythology, the rest of it feels American.

I'll keep on reading, mostly because it's not so bad, and I've already started, but also cause I bought the whole series already on a whim.
Mayar El Mahdy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I like Emi-Chan, she reminds me of myself in the meek wallflower sense. I think she and Nikaido will make a nice couple.
Rori felt evil in this volume, I hope she's not going to the dark side.

Can't wait for volume 3
James
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A few more characters are introduced with unique talents and powers.
Karissa
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this book we meet a new teen with special powers named Ohara. She as an interesting addition to the story. Rori and Shirai are presumed dead (but possibly just missing) after what happened in the first book. That leaves Ayane (the car girl) and Nikaido (emotion manipulating boy) on their own to fight the evil Yokai that seem to be getting more and more prevalent.

The whole thing comes to a head when Ohara, Ayane, and Nikaido form an unlikely alliance and finally decide to take action to cut of
Rianna
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Grace
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Morgan
So I though I had gotten a different, enhanced version of volume 1 in my humble bundle, but it was actually a combination of volume 1 and volume 2 and a bunch of extra stuff at the back with more information about things.

So that was more of a win than I thought it would be. haha.

There was a new character added, new information about one of our original characters, and Rori seems to really come into her own with her powers. The ending is a cliffhanger of sorts, but not in the same way as volume
Kaleb
The 2nd volume of Wayward turned out to be a major disappointment. It's a shame, really. This series had so much going for it with its gorgeous art, setting, and haunting lore. But the real flaws lie with the characters and the story (or lack thereof). One thing these two aspects have in common is there major lack of development. The characters remain two-dimensional teens with very few traits to speak of, making it very difficult to care for any of them. The same goes for the story which I can’ ...more
Zaz
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This volume is well in the continuity of the 1st. The art was amazing sometimes and great the rest of the pages, it's a pleasure to discover each new scene.
Some new characters appear in these issues, with new and interesting powers and, of course, there were lots of fights again, well depicted and gory. All the questions are far from being addressed so it's not possible at the moment to understand everything and the end was a bit weird. I hope the story will move to something good in the next v
Nuno Gil Franco
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Well, the tag-line "Buffy in Japan" could fit this but it is much more. Yes, there are supernatural elements and there are teenagers fighting said supernatural elements. But there's more. There's new gods and old ones. There's some political movement. And then there's the AWESOME essays from Zack Davisson. Man, oh man, what a treat. It tells us about the creatures we encounter in Wayward and it also tells us some of Japan's history. It truly is interesting and well worth the read.
Arminzerella
Kim
A young Japanese girl comes into her powers and joins a group of teens fighting yokai.
As a bit of a Japanophile, I've had a decent exposure to yokai from a Japanese perspective. For this reason, I really appreciated the material in the back of the book. The author clearly did his research and I'm encouraged to do even more.
I'm curious to see where the story goes for here.
Miguel
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
I just don't understand why this serie is not more famous... When you read this book you can tell that Jim Zub was thinking in every detail. The plot is amazing!!

I wish this series continues do grow better and better, with a lot more volumes. Also, i hope that we can see this teenagers grow old together.
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ggn16, comics
Pros: Got a little lost in the beginning, but caught up quickly. I like Emi; she is normal without being washed out. Ayane/Niki dynamic works. Definitely can't trust the spiders.

Cons: How Rori comes back is not really explained. Neither is the makeup/purpose of the villains. Rori/Lori...Ayane issues are also kind of weird.
Carolyn
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse-books, 2016
This second volume of Wayward amped up the volume. More tension, depth of character, conflict, backstory, mythology, and of course, that colourful, gorgeous art. I preferred this volume to "String Theory" as it already had momentum and made more sense as a cohesive story. New protagonist for this volume, with fan favourites returning.
Sammie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, favorites, fantasy
The second volume of Wayward picks up 3 months after the first. The story gets a lot more interesting, and we get a better picture of what's happening. I'm really starting to enjoy this series! And the art is gorgeous.
Stefani - SpelingExpirt
I love this comic's stupid face.

Volume One does a couple of unexpected things and then volume two? Well that just asks us what we think we know about this series and then does everything the opposite.

The art, the backmatter, the story. Eurgh. Just love it.
Ottavia
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Keeps getting better and better.
Barbara
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great installment in the Wayward series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Red Sonja, Vol. 2: The Art of Blood and Fire
  • Birthright, Vol. 2: Call to Adventure
  • ゆかりズム 2 (Yukarism, #2)
  • Letter 44, Volume 2: Redshift
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Old Demons (Season 10, Volume 4)
  • Lafcadio Hearn's "The Faceless Ghost" and Other Macabre Tales from Japan: A Graphic Novel
  • The Case of the Simple Soul (Bad Machinery, #3)
  • Mushishi, Vol. 5
  • BUZZ!
  • はたらく魔王さま! 2 [Hataraku Maou-sama! 2] (The Devil is a Part-Timer Manga, #2)
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens (Girl Genius, #1-3)
  • Sunstone, Vol. 5
  • Revival, Vol. 7: Forward
  • Descender, Vol. 3: Singularities
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action
  • Until We Sleep (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #3)
  • The Pricker Boy
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 2 (Smoke and Shadow, #2)
Jim Zub is a writer, artist and art instructor based in Toronto, Canada. Over the past fifteen years he’s worked for a diverse array of publishing, movie and video game clients including Disney, Warner Bros., Capcom, Hasbro, Bandai-Namco and Mattel.

He juggles his time between being a freelance comic writer and Program Coordinator for Seneca College‘s award-winning Animation program.

Wayward (9 books)