Start by marking “Houseboat Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #12)” as Want to Read:
Houseboat Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #12)

Houseboat Mystery (The Boxcar Children #12)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  2,592 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny used to live alone in a boxcar. Now they have a home with heir grandfather and are spending a vacation traveling down the river on a houseboat.

Throughout their journey, the Boxcar Children have the feeling they're being watched. Little do they know, someone is looking for something on their houseboat - and he'll stop at nothing until he get
Published January 1st 1990 by Albert Whitman Company (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Houseboat Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Houseboat Mystery

Tate
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-at-home, re-read
I really liked this book.
I think it was the best in the series so far.
I even made Mom read on her own.
Meredith Buchanan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
It’s still summer in Aldenland. I think it’s been the same summer for about 4 books now, and we’ve only made it to July. I want to say that it was the end of summer back in Mountain Top Mystery, but I can’t really remember, and honestly, continuity errors are the least of our worries these days because the mysteries are getting more and more ridic. Just wait. This book opens with the four kids and their grandfather whining about how hot it is. They’re sitting in the yard under the trees because ...more
Lauren
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had a bit more excitement than the others generally do, and it was mildly entertaining-I'm reading these more out of duty than anything else now, as I'm reading them cover to cover in just under an hour without getting any true thrill out of it. Perhaps I'm reading these books too close together. Still fun enough to read, and I'm committed to finishing all those stories that Warner actually wrote-after that, I'm out.
Jill
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book in 3rd grade
Nobi Nobes
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was great!
Maximilian Lee
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I like house-boats. I also liked this book because I like birds.
Irene
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
I would have preferred to read the books in this series in order, but instead I just picked up whatever was available at our library. I am reading this book right on the heels of Book 1, and I was surprised to find that Henry could drive! That was kind of fun, to see that the children had aged.

I almost gave this book 3 stars, but I settled on 4 stars because the whole idea of vacationing on a houseboat was just fantastic! What a great concept, and what fun!! And I love how the children (though
Dharia Scarab
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Fantastical Geek (Atarashii Sekai)
Melody
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I was able to tag along with the Aldens as they drifted peacefully down the river and puzzled their way through a few problems and a mystery. What I truly love about books such as these is the unity and team spirit of the family that is so tragically absent in today's "me-me-me" society. I highly recommend it to anyone needing a peaceful break in the middle of a hectic schedule.
Jonathan Bivens
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I remember finding this book in my school library when I was around eight or nine years old. It was old and the cover was so worn out, all I could make out of the cover was the title. It was my first mystery book I every read. I loved it so much. And a few years later I finally found it in hard back. Needless to say I bought it.

Caleb
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked houseboat mystery. It was where they're trying to catch people. They had stolen a vase that was very valuable and put it in a sandbox on the boat since the sandbox had to be there to put out fires. And how they found the vase was Jesse dropped a thing of fish on the sand so they had to put new sand in it. So they put new sand in it and found the vase.
Miri
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Belden family is taking a houseboat trip down the river, but the find mystery all along the riverbanks. Thefts, worried people and someone sneaking on board their boat. Leave it to the Beldens to find mystery everywhere the go.
Ashle Oaks
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The later stories seem to focus mostly on Benny. This story was interesting. It's strange how Benny notices every clue as he is about to fall asleep. The author didn't mention much about the thieves, not even their names, which is unusual for her.
Carol
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book about the Alden family.The three children always find a way of
solving problems they come across during their camping time.
I enjoy reading books that include solving problems because I learn how to also solve our daily life
problems.
Elizabeth
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lilly: "I loved it so much and I loved the part where they tricked them. That was my favorite book of all! And I loved the whole entire story."

I loved reading this with Lilly, it was very suspenseful...for a box car children's book.
Laura Cushing
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Still reading my way through this classic children's series on Kindle Unlimited. This time, the Alden family takes a vacation on a houseboat and uncovers some thieves working their cons along the river. Not a very involved mystery here, but a fun quick read.
Maggie
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It was fun to read about the box car children on a houseboat because twice a year I go on a houseboat. It's kind of funny because the writer doesn't actually tell who the thieves are. She just says it was two men, so it's kind of weird.
Hazel
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
A good series for the young reader.
Meredith
Very quick read.
Cws
May 21, 2009 added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-War
Anna
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always wanted a houseboat after this one. Love! I would have named my boat things other than people's names though, I think.
Rhett
Mar 11, 2008 added it
McKay and I read this book together
Andd Becker
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book is notable for its vocabulary, e.g., fire extinguisher, auctioneer, commander.
Marie McNary
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Boxcar Children is still my five year old's favorite read aloud series. We continue to work our way through the books. First completed read aloud of 2014.
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
One of my favorite childhood series. I read over a hundred of them. The first 50 or so were in order; after that I read whatever book I could get my hands on :)
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boxcar-children
great when ur little
Elevetha
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Kim
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: elliott county christian center/cassie helensteet/eric noel
Shelves: children-teen
I have books 1 12 and 13 of this series
Gillie
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the thought of living on a houseboat. This is the best book I've ever read!
  • Mandie and the Trunk's Secret (Mandie Books, #5)
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Mystery of the Flying Express (Hardy Boys, #20)
  • Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Swamp Robber (Sugar Creek Gang, #1)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH ...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...

The Boxcar Children (1 - 10 of 145 books)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #6)
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #9)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)
“BOXCAR CHILDREN SURPRISE ISLAND THE YELLOW HOUSE MYSTERY MYSTERY RANCH MIKE’S MYSTERY BLUE BAY MYSTERY THE WOODSHED MYSTERY THE LIGHTHOUSE MYSTERY MOUNTAIN TOP MYSTERY SCHOOLHOUSE MYSTERY CABOOSE MYSTERY HOUSEBOAT MYSTERY SNOWBOUND MYSTERY TREE HOUSE MYSTERY BICYCLE MYSTERY MYSTERY IN THE SAND MYSTERY BEHIND THE WALL BUS STATION MYSTERY BENNY UNCOVERS A MYSTERY THE HAUNTED CABIN MYSTERY THE DESERTED LIBRARY MYSTERY THE ANIMAL SHELTER MYSTERY THE OLD MOTEL MYSTERY T” 0 likes
“THE HIDDEN PAINTING THE AMUSEMENT PARK MYSTERY THE MYSTERY OF THE MIXED-UP ZOO THE CAMP-OUT MYSTERY THE MYSTERY GIRL THE MYSTERY CRUISE THE DISAPPEARING FRIEND MYSTERY THE MYSTERY OF THE SINGING GHOST MYSTERY IN THE SNOW THE PIZZA MYSTERY THE MYSTERY HORSE THE MYSTERY AT THE DOG SHOW THE CASTLE MYSTERY THE MYSTERY OF THE LOST VILLAGE THE MYSTERY ON THE ICE THE MYSTERY OF THE PURPLE POOL THE GHOST SHIP MYSTERY THE MYSTERY IN WASHINGTON, DC THE CANOE TRIP MYSTERY THE MYSTERY OF THE HIDDEN BEACH THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING CAT THE MYSTERY AT SNOWFLAKE INN THE MYSTERY ON STAGE THE DINOSAUR MYSTERY T” 0 likes