Start by marking “Versions of the Self” as Want to Read:
Versions of the Self

Versions of the Self

Imagine a shift to the way you see the world that arises through poetic narration.

Imagine the world, at its base level, is a collection of selves. These selves collide, disperse, intermingle, and share themselves in lines of free verse. Such is the premise of Versions of the Self, poetry that assumes multiple types of selves exist and relate in ways that alter them. Each
Kindle Edition, 1, 112 pages
Published May 15th 2015 by Christy Birmingham

To ask other readers questions about Versions of the Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Versions of the Self

James
Why This Book
On my blog, ThisIsMyTruthNow via WordPress, I have a Friday segment entitled 'Author Alert,' where I spotlight a novelist I've met through blogging. Christy and I connected a few months ago and I volunteered to read her book, as it was something different than a normal work of fiction. I used to write poetry and I enjoy her blog, so I dove in.

Overview
The ~115 page book is a collection of 80 poems organized by 8 sections, all relating to the concept of 'self.' It covers indiv
Sarah Potter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Christy Birmingham has written her poetry collection Versions of The Self from the first-person viewpoint because it’s about her personal journey. At first I found the constant use of the word “I” off-putting, but my initial reaction fast metamorphosed into feeling privileged, as a reader, to share in Christy’s honest account of putting herself back together, having had a relationship with someone who did his best to destroy her.

She tells of her deep love for this man and his gradual undermining

Sheila
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These poems resonated with me when I read them, and they’re still resonating. There are so many feelings that can be found here, so many relationships, so many selves.

I loved the poems that celebrated freedom and could at times feel my soul soaring along with the words. Then different poems made me stop and think while bringing me back to Earth.

The poem, “Within a Few Feet,” shows the regrets that hold us back and keep us earthbound, all while freedom is only a few feet away in the form of seagu
Buck Edwards
"Versions of the Self" moves beyond a collection of poetry, it penetrates into a self-awareness that beckons the reader to give ourselves The Mirror Test. How many times have we, too, followed this road of struggle and redemption? And in doing that we hand our travel plans to Birmingham at the first page. There are no presumptions in Birmingham's poems, only pure honesty, and when we aren't being reminded of Sylvia Plath, then we are reminded of the Biblical woman at the well, whose life is fore ...more
Carol Balawyder
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Christy Birmingham’s latest collection of poems takes off where her book Pathways to Illumination left off. In Versions of Self Christy Birmingham offers hope, inspiration and celebrates the strength of healing. In her own words her objective in writing this collection is “…(to) long for words I can to heal someone else.” This is what good poetry does and Birmingham succeeds on many levels.
I have always found reading poetry a catalyst for my own writing, particularly in its ability to fill my m
Judith Evans
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
In her second collection of poems, Christy Birmingham continues to inspire and encourage. Versions of the Self is organized into sections or "selves" that allow the poet to share wisdom from various aspects of her personal journey. These lines from Sense of Myself are an example of the inner strength that runs through these poems:

"Here is my sense of self,
Here I am strong and focused,
Putting my needs first.
I realize that it is a proud moment."

Whether the poems are exploring hurtful memories or
Lil Alexander
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The talented Canadian writer Christy Birmingham gave us her second poetry book, a distinctive collection of 80 unique and touching poems. Christy is a very inspiring poet and blogger, talking openly about her life experiences ("I stand here"). Her words are powerful and invite you to reread them several times and meditate. "Versions of the Self" is a journey from night to light, from sadness to happiness, from wandering to wonderful. This book spoke to me in more ways than one. Highly recommende ...more
Patsy Parker
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a book of thought-provoking and intriguing poetry.
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"A beautiful collection of poems"

I read and re-read a lot of the poems, deep and meaningful poetry from start to finish. Christy shows you a different way to relate to her poetry and I went through an emotional and uplifting journey my favourites being "Tender Hands" and "As we walk together" they really touched me. I found myself sailing through the pages before I knew it the book was over. Thank you Christy, a fabulous read that I will definitely keep and your words will stay with me.
Robbie Cheadle
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Versions of the self is quite an extraordinary book of poetry. The poet, Christy Birmingham, has a very unique style of writing which I found very intriguing. I also thought this style worked exceptionally well for the content of this book which is all about different versions of self. It imitates the flow of thought but in an easy to read and fascinating way.

I felt I would like to get to know the poet as I read her poems. While she does write about a mixture of various emotions, there is a thre
John Fioravanti
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christy Birmingham's "Versions of the Self" was a delightful experience as her imaginative metaphors drew me into the depths of her feelings. This is far more than a book of poetry, as it takes on on a journey of discovery of self. Birmingham's work is fresh and it is gripping. Highly recommended.
Willow Croft
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
(I read the print copy.)

I've followed Christy Birmingham's blog for years, and, likewise, she's been a strong supporter of mine. I think she was one of, if not the first, who purchased my book of poetry when I self-published (Oh, Createspace, how I miss thee!). But this is the space for honest reviews, and, being an honest, ethical, straight-arrow type, with a healthy dose of blunt forthrightness, here goes my honest review. (Please, stick with me to the end of the review.)
I wasn't sure how I f
Mahesh Nair
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All my life I thought that my emotional reliance on someone was a foregone conclusion, and that my self had to connect with another’s to inject coherence into my life’s abstract manuscript. In several unique ways in Versions of the Self, Christy Birmingham informs that the self can last 'brutally independent' longer without such reliance or even when it’s relying on someone. In "Gliding Under Water," she writes, “I am gliding under the waters and my vision is remarkably clear while my body washe ...more
Carolee Croft
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Versions of the Self plays around with the concept of different selves, not trying to pin down or define the self, but dazzling the reader with the many colorful possibilities of human existence. These lines reveal the pensive and imaginative mind of a poet who is rooted in reality but gifted with the talent of describing everyday events with fantastic flair.

The poems speak of moments in life that we can all relate to: the love of a child for their parent, the sudden yearning for a crush, the he
Amy Caudill
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, spiritual work

I was amazed at how much so many of the poems in this collection resonated with me. It was as if the author was actually inside my head at times. However, even the poems that touched on things I have never personally experienced were so well-crafted, so full of imagery, that I felt drawn in as if I was part of the experience.
I bookmarked a few passages for myself that I know I'll want to read again when I need a bit of encouragement or inspiration in my day. I would rec
Didi Oviatt
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 rating

Poetry for me is hit and miss. I either love it, or I hate it. It either pulls me in and makes me think and feel deeply, or it puts me off completely. Not very often do I find middle ground. Oddly enough I was reluctant to read this book because I follow Christy's work on When Women Inspire. I love her approach, as well as the unique and resounding subjects she often tackles. She's inspiring and supportive, and honestly I was a little worried that reading a book of her poetry might dis
Shehanne Moore
Maria Craiu
Jan 08, 2018
Miriam Hurdle
Dec 05, 2018
I am a freelance writer, poet, author, and feminist who lives in British Columbia, Canada.

I am the author of two poetry collections. The first one is Pathways to Illumination, available exclusively at Redmund Productions. My second book, Versions of the Self, is available on Amazon.

Currently, I am sipping coffee and typing her third book, which will be fiction. Stay tuned!

When not writing, I like