Start by marking “Poppy Pickle” as Want to Read:
Poppy Pickle

Poppy Pickle

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Poppy has the most extraordinary imagination.

When she is sent upstairs to tidy her room, she just can't help imagining and suddenly ...her imagination literally comes alive. Soon her room is jam-packed with all kinds of weird and wonderful creatures. There's a problem, though - the mammoth puts his foot through the floor and the hungry crocodile thinks Poppy would make a
Published May 1st 2015 by Templar Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Poppy Pickle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poppy Pickle

Cindy
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a children's book comes across my hands and strikes my fancy so much that I decide to review it.

I love love love books that showcase the wild imaginations of children. There is just something so pure about that innocence and freedom.

Poppy is sent to clean her room and instead her imagination takes control and the most crazy part of all, her imaginations come to life.

But as things do, it soon gets out of control and Poppy needs to figure a way out to make order happen.

This book is n
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wooly mammoth with a monocle? A chimp playing a cello? All sorts of outrageous things exist in Poppy Pickle's imagination...which often gets her into trouble. One day, after an incident with a flying cat and her father's head, Poppy is sent upstairs to clean her room, but instead of tidying up she starts imagining all kinds of incredible animals and things and what's even more incredible is they start to appear in her bedroom! Of course, her room is soon overrun with creatures and Poppy has to ...more
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
love this book!
makes a great read-aloud
Gary
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytelling
Really cute book with wonderful illustrations! Great book to teach kids about using their imagination.
Coach D
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Does she not want to eat that hot dog? Because he has a face?"
Amber
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for great illustration.
Lydia
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little girl named Poppy has a big imagination! At first, that's all it is, but then it starts to bring her imaginings to life! Her parents are dubious at first, but it's hard to stay doubting when confronted with a (view spoiler)!

Poppy's super active imagination is fun, but it also shows a ting of the dark side to a vivid imagination (which actually can be a good thing to help parents/siblings/kids understand, especially if they or someone they know has problems w

Lorie
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poppy Pickle has a big imagination which is under appreciated by her family. When ordered to go clean her room, her imagination takes over and her imagined creatures become real. The creatures become more and more destructive until Poppy can think of a way to get rid of them.

A clever story with vibrant mixed media illustrations make this a fun book for those who like a little out of control mayhem in their stories. It is humorous enough for a reading at a library storytime or in classroom setti
Elaine Savage
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Poppy Pickle is a young girl full of imagination, color and fun. Some of the things she imagines inner brain are:a giant talking hotdog, a mariachi bear, a candy tree and a castle made of cake. One day, while cleaning her room something weird happened. Her imagination came alive! All of the crazy things she had dreamed of were suddenly in her room. One problem is that she is supposed to be cleaning her room. Will she get her room clean in time? What else will her imagination create?
This is such
Carson Gentry
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poppy Pickle was always bound to get in trouble. One day after she had been sent to clean her room her imagination took flight. What she imagined became real and before you knew it her room was crowded and full of imagined objects and creatures. Poppy's parents were on their way upstairs to her room and she had to get rid of everything she imagined... What will Poppy do?

I very much enjoyed this book. I thought it had a super fun concept and the pictures made it very fun and interesting. I would
Riley Cockerham
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is the story of Poppy whose imagination comes to life. One day when she is supposed to be cleaning her room her imagination explodes with all sorts of creatures that come alive and fill her room including a woolly mammoth and a crocodile. They create quite a mess and Poppy gets in trouble for being too creative. But this all changes when her parents are finally able to see what she is talking about.

This book is a fun creative read on imagination and I loved the illustrations!

I would use t
Alyssa Kohl
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this book, a little girl, Poppy Pickle, has a big imagination. Her imagination always had her doing wild things that got her in a lot of trouble most time. When she got sent to her room to clean, she started imagining things, and they came to life but then there was too much noise and commotion so her parents came upstairs to her room and found a big mess.

My favorite thing about this book, is the bright colorful illustrations. I also like how the author had little narrations by the pictures.

Heydi Smith
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
This is an amazing story about how your imagination can get the best of you but with quick thinking you can pull yourself out of the jam. The illustrations are incredible.

Perfect for an imagination storytime.
Ashley Baker
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Illustrations are cute, story ok. Font/lettering looks exactly like Oliver Jeffers which maybe isnt copyrighted (or whatever they do for font) but I would still take off a star for it
Carrie
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poppy's in a pickle of her own making.
Breanne
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
What a wonderful book to bring imagination alive because literally Poppy Pickle's imagination comes alive! It is so fun and creative.

(And its a little funny to say Poppy Pickle 10x fast)
kim
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, kids, picture
love the illustrations and the story!
Heather Jo
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Colin
My kids (3 and 5) loved this book we got from the local library - it's about a little girl with a BIG imagination!
Sue Mosher
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this fun book! Lots of little side comments for the adults, too.
Mindy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is endearing as a one-on-one read or a read-a-loud to a group. There is humor for both kids and adults. Plus, it's a book you can read multiple times without tiring.
Kelly
Poppy has an imagination that gets her into trouble.
Allison
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brittany
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Great for little girls with a big imagination!
Casandria
There are times when your imagination can run too wild.
Imagination
Elizabeth Ramsey
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Poppy is full of imagination and sometimes it gets her in a pickle. She has to clean her room but gets busy imagining and now everything she imagines comes alive! Her imagination is full of crazy and fun things. Now her room is filled with weird and wonderful creatures and is now an even bigger mess. She tries unimagining them and it doesn't work. But will her parents believe her excuse?
I really liked this book and I thought it was so fun!! The pages are filled with color and with each page I w
Mehsi
I read Emma Yarlett's Nibbles: The Book Monster, and just adored it (hoping there will be more Nibbles someday), and decided to go on a hunt for other books by this author/illustrator. Thus I tumbled upon this one.

This was such a delightful, imaginative, sweet, colourful, fun, wonderful, cute, hilarious book, it brought a big smile on my face, and I also laughed quite a few times.

The book is all about Poppy. Poppy who often tends to get into a pickle because of her imagination, like throwing a
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
POPPY PICKLE
Written and Illustrated by Emma Yarlett
2015; 32 Pages
Templar Publishing
Genre: children's, picture book, imagination

4 1/2

Poppy Pickle has a great imagination - an imagination that gets her in trouble with her parents. When Poppy is sent to her room to clean her big imagination takes over. Only thing that would get her out of this pickle is to make her parents see her imagination. LOVE the pictures and story in this book. It is so fun and smart. A great book for any child with a BIG i
Heidi-Marie
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Humorous book--most of the humor being in all the speech bubbles. Too many and a little too squiggly to try to read those in preschool or school-age storytime. Could do lap-read with a preschool child, but they will miss the humor. Will probably follow the story just fine, though. (Which is worth considering for ST if speech bubbles are omitted--best part, but can work.) School-age read-alone is probably best for this one as they can enjoy the humor in the text as well as the illustrations.

A who
Desiree
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved poppy pickle. Poppy is a little girl with an big imagination that gets her into trouble. The illustrations are amazing and the story is wonderfully imaginative. The end papers include a a hilarious disclaimer letting the reader know that no "talking hotdog" was harmed in the production of this book. Great story for precocious little ones who have a lot of energy and inventive brains.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Emma Yarlett graduated with honors in illustration from University College Falmouth in 2011. Her other work includes a nonfiction book by Julia Donaldson and animation for the Waterstones Children’s Book Award.