Start by marking “The Virtuous Feats of the Indomitable Miss Trafalgar and the Erudite Lady Boone” as Want to Read:
The Virtuous Feats of the Indomitable Miss Trafalgar and the Erudite Lady Boone

The Virtuous Feats of the Indomitable Miss Trafalgar and the Erudite Lady Boone

(Trafalgar and Boone #1)

In 1899, a secret society tried to use a young woman to bring an ancient evil into the world. Twenty years later they will return to finish the job.

After the Great War, London is settling once more into the gentle routine of peacetime. The airships that once protected England's coast now ferry people back and forth across the Thames, the magically-inclined are free to retu
Published September 1st 2015 by Supposed Crimes

Be the first to ask a question about The Virtuous Feats of the Indomitable Miss Trafalgar and the Erudite Lady Boone

Dee
As I’ve become accustomed to expect when picking up any book by Geonn Cannon, within a few pages I'll find myself smack bang in the middle of an action packed plot.

This story flows effortlessly from one adventure to the next. It’s not all plain sailing. An event occurs on the ship; the crew’s excursion is turned upside down. When Tall girl fights back, a prominent man dies and Trafalgar is born. And readers are left wondering about the powers of the mysterious stone.

Lady Boone is a great charac
Katie
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
2 stars as in the literal Goodreads meaning - this book was okay. It was a fun-enough read but I can't quite bring myself to rank it higher. I feel a bit bad about it, because in large part this book was probably just not for me. I'm not a huge fan of urban fantasy or steampunk, both of which would likely go a long ways in enjoying this work.

The Virtuous Feats of the Indomitable Miss Trafalgar and the Erudite Lady Boone follow the story of the two titular ladies who adventure around the world a
Aoife
Aug 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
In the prologue, we meet Dorothy Boone. She is not like the other girls her sisters who are all content with getting married and having children for which Dorothy despises them. She prefers practising swordplay and archery which she somehow can do in secret because apparently, her parents don't even notice when she comes home from her supposed dancing lessons covered in bruises.
She then pisses her parents off by explaining to her suitor that she will only marry him if he can best her in a duel.
Mel
My review on Prism Book Alliance

I expected this book to be a romance, because, well, that’s obviously nearly all I read, and therefore every book has to be a romance, right, Mel? Um… No! (This happened to me once before when all I had been reading were vampire books, so of course the secret Christian Grey was hiding had to be him being a bloody vampire. Yes. Right.) Heh… Anyway, so this is not a romance, but a steampunk adventure story with lesbian protagonists. I mean, that’s also really cool,
Inked Reads
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f
FourandHalfStars
I went into this book after reading the Riley Parra series from this author and will openly admit I had rather high and possibly unrealistic expectations. Thankfully, Cannon once again delivered a wonderful, action packed story that had me flipping pages hours after I should have put it down and gotten some sleep.

While the kind of romance I loved so much in the Riley Parra series was absent, the rest of the aspects the book held more than made up for it. The characters are true t
Lis Carey
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-sf, fiction
In an early 20th century where magic, to some degree, works, but not much else is changed, Dorothy Boone is the very frustrating daughter of a very respectable family. In time, the mutual frustration becomes so great that she moves in with her grandmother, Lady Eula Boone. She gets a very unexpected education, and eventually inherits her grandmother's maps, books, artifacts, and career. I'm not clear on exactly why she is thereafter Lady Boone, but this isn't exactly our world, and I choose not ...more
BrokenMnemonic
I picked this novel up as part of one of Storybundle's Historical Fantasy bundles back in 2016, and as I'm starting to work my way through a backlog of Storybundle books, it looked like a fun read. Having finished, I've found that the story is a mix of things that I enjoyed, and a few things that bothered me. Some of the things I enjoyed are things I'd really like to see more of in books; one is the fact that in this version of 1920s Europe, a mix of Steampunk tech and magic is around and relati ...more
Chira
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fast, fun read. Steampunk adventurers is an easy given for me, but especially when both leads (and most of the supporting characters) are women. Make them rivals who have to put aside past slights to save the world and you've caught my attention. Add in a whole host of queer characters and we've gone from simply a fun read to one I got really invested in.

The mystery itself is a little sparse and feels a lot like setting up for future stories in the same 'verse, especially since a lot was stil
Myra Swintz
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue and suspense

Lady Boone is the female lesbian Indiana Jones!!!! What a wonderful, fun read. Although this book is not the usual genre for Mr. Cannon it kept me turning the pages from the first sentence to the last I loved it.
Warren Rochelle
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was fun to read, although I felt it would be stronger if there were less telling.
Eric Mesa
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
What if Indiana Jones was a woman? And British? And gay? Then you'd have Lady Boone. This book sets up an interesting world in the inter-war period (like Indie) although with more fantastical elements like the Uncharted series. I got this book on Story Bundle's Historical Fantasy Bundle, so I had no idea what to expect. That said, I do enjoy the Victorian Era as a setting and Mr. Cannon creates some pretty compelling characters.

If I have to criticize the book, it's that it seems like an intenti
Amy Mills
I wanted to like this more than I did. It's more or less a popcorn action story, with very little depth. There's an occasional attempt to add depth, which sometimes works but mostly falls flat. But if you're just looking for light action with lesbian heroines, this will suit. Think female Indiana Jones, in a vaguely steampunk-magic universe, and you'll have a rough idea of what to expect.

The biggest issue with it is the lack of any distinctive character voices. It was ridiculously easy to lose t
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Steampunk adventure.
Strong brave women in the leading role.
It sounded good indeed.
But I did not like the book so much. Why on earth, with such good premises?

First of all: Dorothy Boone is supposed to be some sort of Indiana Jones. She's an erudite (the title says so), she's stronger than she seems, she's sensual... and she's extremely selfish and annoying. But despite that everybody likes her. (Exactly like Indy!)
Everybody she meets is grateful to her because she helped them at a point. Which c
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book could easily be re-titled "adventurous steam-punk lesbians". That pretty much captures what was going on, I think.

One thing I did find unusual was that every major character was female. It's more typical for major characters to be male--and while I find both problematic, it was interesting to have the device turned on its head.

Somewhat off-topic, but great cover--it reminded me of Laura Bow!
Kristen Westfall
I enjoyed this, but some continuity/editing issues, very little character differentiation, and a super squicky relationship (complete with bad sex scene), had me rolling my eyes a lot.
Sara Norja
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
(I didn't note down the precise dates for reading this, which bothers me but oh well.)

Welp. I was expecting something light, but I really didn't enjoy this. It felt flimsy to me, no real substance. I read it all, and quickly too, but I didn't connect with the characters, and there were just too many problems in this for me. Also, I know this is a steampunk novel, but I would've liked some more historical accuracy with regard to titles and such (I am a nitpicker, yes). Plus, despite the (flimsy)
Catherine
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lively and entertaining steampunk adventure with a multicultural cast and a very fast-paced plot. The large cast of characters were relatable and fun and I enjoyed the archeological settings. The only issue I saw was that in the edition I read (from a StoryBundle), it was occasionally challenging to figure out whose POV one was reading, but apart from that, very entertaining story and definitely recommended if you're looking for more steampunk with queer female protagonists. I'll be looking for ...more
Rebecca Baldwin
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Ugh, screw it. I'm halfway through and giving up. This book could have been a delightful Melissa Scott-meets-Marie Brennan's-lady-Trent (which is why I gave it as many stars as I did), but (a) I've literally never seen such bad continuity, (b) copy editing is shoddy too, and (c) Dorothy's relationship with Beatrice--her employee--is problematic af. Very disappointing.
Anita Bradshaw
Emily
Nov 24, 2016
Lesley
Sep 01, 2015
Geonn Cannon is a male author who grew up in Oklahoma, thousands of miles from the nearest coastline, who found his calling in stories about women who live on an island in the Pacific Northwest. In 2010, Geonn became the first male author to win the prestigious Golden Crown Literary Society Award for his novel "Gemini." In 2015, he won it again for "Dogs of War." He was also invited to write an of ...more

Trafalgar and Boone (4 books)
  • Trafalgar and Boone in the Drowned Necropolis
  • Trafalgar and Boone and the Books of Breathing
  • Trafalgar  Boone and the Children of the Burnt Empire
“Be good, Dorothy. For your mother's sake. And if you can't, be bad cleverly.” 0 likes