Start by marking “Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars” as Want to Read:
Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars

Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars

(Descender #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12,713 ratings  ·  1,269 reviews
Young Robot boy TIM-21 and his companions struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet. Written by award-winning creator, Jeff Lemire, Descender is a rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey. Lemire pits humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling epic. Created by Jeff Lemir ...more
Paperback, Trade, 160 pages
Published September 24th 2015 by Image Comics (first published March 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Descender, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Willie Krischke The similarities are superficial. Both are about boy robots who survive when their owners are killed.

A.I. is about the robots' quest to find his…more

A.I. is about the robots' quest to find his family and become a real boy, believing in the pinnochio myth. It happens on a post-apocalyptic Earth where humankind is extinct and robots are the dominant species.

Descender is about a robot whose code is identical to the mysterious robots who attacked humankind and then suddenly disappeared. He is the key to surviving the next attack, but most of the system (this isn't on Earth but in a fictional system of inhabited planets) has become very anti-robot, so some are hunting him to learn from him, and some to destroy him. (less)
Tyler I just finished the volumes 1-3. There's no nudity or sex. Violence is pretty prevalent but not overly graphic. Language is moderate no f bombs that I…moreI just finished the volumes 1-3. There's no nudity or sex. Violence is pretty prevalent but not overly graphic. Language is moderate no f bombs that I can recall. If it were a movie it'd be rated pg13(less)

·  12,713 ratings  ·  1,269 reviews

Samantha
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2017
This is the sci-fi I NEEDED after the failure that was Mass Effect: Andromeda. My skin is cleared. My crops are flourishing.
Bradley
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do you remember the film AI? Yeah. I loved that, too.

What if I could get all the delicious goodies from that film and mix it with a complex galactic empire beset by huge robots called Harvesters that are a lot larger than the Death Star?

Oh yeah. Ohhhh yeah.

But don't stop there! Make sure your heroes are full of pathos and mythic qualities, mix in some good storytelling and fantastic art... and you've got this.

I love SF, but THIS is why I love SF.

Just how many factions, be it aliens, robot haters
Jan Philipzig
Space opera with an edge as well as a heart - I love it! Lemire explores territory here that immediately brings to mind Star Wars and A.I. Artificial Intelligence, but he infuses it with his own brand of storytelling... and I am a sucker for Lemire's brand of storytelling! To the point that I probably would have enjoyed the story even more if Lemire himself had also done the artwork - which is almost absurd to say, as Dustin Nguyen's beautiful watercolors bring the story to life very convincingl ...more
Sam Quixote
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
The distant future. The United Galactic Council is attacked out of nowhere by mysterious Galactus-sized robots called Harvesters killing millions of citizens and leading to a massive robot cull. Fast forward ten years. A child companion robot called Tim-21 awakens on a moon mining colony, surrounded by dead bodies, the only survivor. Various factions are alerted who want Tim-21 whose tiny body potentially contains the secrets behind the Harvesters - run, robot Pinocchio, run!

Descender, Jeff Lemi
Trish
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's here, people: the intergalactic "oh-shit" moment.

These giant robots (9 of them) have appeared next to every one of the core planets of The United Galactic Council. One terrible attack later, billions are dead and the gigantic robots simply vanish with nobody knowing how they did it any more than why.
Thus commences a time of civil unrest, of rivalry resurfacing after hundreds of years, the robots get rounded up and destroyed.
Almost 10 years later, a companion robot named Tim-21 wakes up. Som
Liz Janet
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Descender tells the story of a robot kid named Tim-21, his creator, and the crew that is sent to find him after he wakes up from a dormant 10-year long sleep. In this world, robots have sort of been outlawed during Tim’s sleep, since during those ten years, every planet of the galaxy was confronted by a giant-planet sized-robot, who attacked and then, as quickly as they came, disappeared. This created a big distrust between robots and humans, which led to their eradication, and an even bigger ri ...more
Chad
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great series from Jeff Lemire. Dustin Nguyen has made a visually stunning universe with his painted water color art.
Cheese
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Edit: 2nd Read. This is top quality sci fi.

My first Jeff Lemire book. I'm now a big fan.

I really enjoyed this, full of surprises and twists, I'm looking forward to reading more.

The only gripe id say about this gn is the inking. Quite bad actually. Some characters left uncoloured or scratched. I prefer neat colours myself.
Connor
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This was really good! It took me a little to adjust to the art style as I'm used to harder lines, but the art is fantastic once you get into it. I really like Tim-21 so far, and think the series will just continue to get better! Can't wait to get my hands on the next volume!
Kaitlin
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-2016
The artwork of this comic is incredible. I truly love the style of watercolour and I envy those who have real flair and talent with that medium (as it's a tricky one) and this comic not only embraces the style, but does so beautifully.

The story of this series is about a young robot called TIM-21 who is the only remaining robot in a solar system years after a galaxy-wide catastrophe. There are no other robots as they have been outlawed, and when TIM comes back online suddenly he's instantly the f
David Schaafsma
I liked this quite a bit. I like Lemire's work, generally, though I like his earlier, edgier Essex County and Sweet Tooth stuff, with his own rough, sketchy drawing, but I liked the fairy tale romance Trillium, and most times (unless it is his superhero writing, which I dislike), I am inclined to like his work. What seems central to much of Lemire's work is the abandonment of the son by the father, or parents, but usually the father, and the search for reuniting them. Empathy, vulnerability, a c ...more
Sud666
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sci-fi
Descender is a great sci-fi story. Taking place in the future, humanity has spread across the stars. With the use of advanced robotics from the mind of Dr. Quon the future looks bright. Until a titanic robot showed up and destroyed the planet-killing billions. That's really where Descender starts. I will not give up too many details as this is a great story. It is epic in scope.

As the story develops we find out about a robot named Tim-21 and the possibility that he may have some kind of connecti
Ivan
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was beautiful.It's kind of like Spielberg's A.I., only better.
Sh3lly
I wanted to like this more. It was an interesting concept - robot boy "wakes" up on a mining colony and discovers it's ten years later and his human family is gone (probably dead) and there's no one left alive where he's at.

Come to find out, a planet named Niyrata has been attacked by some bad-ass machines and now everyone wants robots dead. So, Tim-21 (the robot boy) is being chased by a group of scary mercenaries and a group of humans who need him since his "core" has a connection to the mach
Elisabeth
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So eine tolle Graphic Novel! Der Zeichenstil ist außergewöhnlich, aber sehr passend und die Story ist einfach gut gemacht. Ich freue mich auf Band 2!
Maria (Big City Bookworm)
4.5 stars rated up

I received this copy of Descender through the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

The "Read Now" section on NetGalley is probably one of my favourite things in this world, especially when there is a bunch of new comics and graphic novels all uploaded at once. The second I see anything by Image Comics in the "Read Now" section, I automatically request and download it right away. The first thing that caught my attention about Descender was its lovely cover art
James DeSantis
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Descender is a series I've owned for awhile but never read. Not sure why. I'm not big into space stuff.

This was good though!

So Tim 21 is a robot. You get little bits and pieces of his past, how he was made, what he was made for, while the other portion of this book is about other people hunting him down. In this very quickly paced volume you get just enough of the supporting cast of this world but it's main focus is Tim and his survival (is it survival when you're a robot?) and how he can make
Delirious Disquisitions
You should read this if you like: light sci-fi stories, artificial intelligence, I,Robot movie, robot/human dynamics, emotive robots.

Vol 1 of the Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars series does such a great job of introducing us to the central characters and conflicts. The premise is pretty much what you get from the description. What was unexpected was just how much I'm already love our little Tim-21 boy bot, his little bot dog, and his Driller companion.

The artwork is stunning. The watercolor plays
L. McCoy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who want exciting sci-fi.
This is how you do a great space comic!

What’s it about?
A team of space mission people in the future with all kinds of cool technology and aliens find a robot who survived after people tried to destroy all the robots like him! It turns out this robot may be more dangerous than he seems.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is very interesting.
Lemire does a great job making readers care about all the characters (especially Bandit. Yes, the dog robot’s my favorite character).
The art is fantastic! Lots of g
Jessica (HighFantasyFanatic)
Art in this is stunning the story is average so far, very much an intro to the world and characters.
Michael Finocchiaro
I really loved this first volume of Descender. The art is great - watercolor and ink - and the plot is fascinating. I am looking forward to see where they go with this. The characters are interesting - especially the Driller!
Shannon
LOVE that this was all done in watercolor.

I had a feeling this was special.
GrilledCheeseSamurai

Dustin Nguyen...

MOTHERFUCKING ROBOTS...

Yes, please!

Loved it. Of course I did... *cough*JeffLemireFanboy*cough*

Sooo...its the future - life is great. There's prolly jetpacks, holodecks, colonized planets, spaceships...all science-fiction and shit.

There are robots too.

I love robots.

Annnnnyways...Badass robots show up and basically wipe out humans and just as suddenly as they appear *snap* they're gone.

Knee-jerk reaction - all robots and artificial intelligence
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this was probably valid it just wasn’t my thing I’m so sorry
Sarah DiMento

Visually one of my favorite graphic novels... I just loved that this was all done in watercolor!

The plot was a little generic... But a couple of surprises toward the end.

Overall, I really enjoyed this
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Image comics is known to set loose some very potential comic series. Descender is Jeff Lemire’s creator-owned projet, illustrated by Dustin Nguyen, and is another ongoing series that Image comics can proudly talk about. The first time I ran across this collected edition of the series, I was intrigued by the cover art. It didn’t take long before I started seeing the series pretty much everywhere. The story follows TIM-21. A young robot who’s arti
OV
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Se há pessoas, nesta plataforma, que vão lendo o que aqui vou escrevendo, não desconhecerão a admiração que nutro pelo canadiano Jeff Lemire. Esta é uma história escrita por ele, e embora não seja ilustrada por ele, acredito que teve um papel activo na forma como a narrativa gráfica foi construída - alguns elementos gráficos a que ele recorre frequentemente nas suas obras autorais estão muito presentes nesta história.

E o que posso dizer da história? Ficção científica pura e um futuro pós-apocal
Sarah Marie
Descender Volume 1: Tin Stars by Jeff Lemire & Dustin Nguyen

"Because they fear us, TIM-21. Because they were hurt and they wanted to hurt something back. Because they are human."

The basic idea behind this graphic novel, without going into too much description, is that massive robots took over. This massive takeover has caused humans to condemn robots. TIM-21 and his friends are struggle to stay alive in a universe that outlaws androids. It’s a very simple story and it’s probably no

Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

So behind in my reading...hurry, catch up!!

This is a pretty standard robot vs humans story. Robots and humans coexist until the "Harvesters" appear, wiping out humanity and causing the remnants to destroy any and all robots. Somehow the last remaining boy companion bit Tim-21 (basically stolen straight from AI) holds the key to the Harvesters.

It's not hugely clever but damn if I wasn't intrigued. I can totally see all the archetypes and barely defined characters - but I love me som
Dennis
A stunningly beautiful book.

The one day the people of Niyrata, home of the nine Embassy Cities representing the core planets of The United Galactic Council, live in relative peace and luxury.

description

The next they‘re attacked by planetsized robots.

description

The losses are substantial and not only result in economic downturn but also lead to mistrust towards their own robots and basically robot genocide.

description

Ten years after the attacks TIM-21 awakes on the moon of Dirishu-6, base of a mining colony, where he served as a
  • Lazarus, Vol. 5: Cull
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 3: Building
  • Southern Cross, Vol. 1
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • Prophet, Volume 2: Brothers
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.

Descender (6 books)
  • Descender, Vol. 2: Machine Moon
  • Descender, Vol. 3: Singularities
  • Descender, Vol. 4: Orbital Mechanics
  • Descender, Vol. 5: Rise of the Robots
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
“Have you read this, Tim? It's my favorite book. Trinket Tocket and his Tin Rocket!'
'I am not familiar with it, Andy. But I can easily access the data network and download all the volumes if you'd like?'
'Nah. My mom still gets them for me in hard copy. I love reading them like this. The drawings look better.”
1 likes