Start by marking “No Means No!: Teaching Personal Boundaries, Consent; Empowering Children by Respecting Their Choices and Right to Say 'No!'” as Want to Read:

'No Means No!' is a children's picture book about an empowered little girl who has a very strong and clear voice in all issues, especially those relating to her body and personal boundaries. This book can be read to children from 3 to 9 years. It is a springboard for discussions regarding children's choices and their rights. The 'Note to the Reader' at the beginning of the ...more
Published March 28th 2015 by Upload Publishing Pty Ltd (first published March 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about No Means No!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Means No!

Briana
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: social-skills
This book was easy to follow, and breached the harder topics in a good way. I think folks forget to teach kids this idea of boundaries and some kids suffer because of it. Wish this book included ideas for kids if someone doesn't respect their no.
Lara Monroe
May 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
The book is composed of 11 sentences (roughly). Half of those are "No means no!"

To assist, let me walk you through some of the pages. The first states if the child does not want to kiss grandma, she may say no. Later in the book it says if the child doesn't want to play tickle fights, she may say no.

There is no reason to check this book out, buy this book, look at this book. There are eleven sentences. The pictures don't help in any way. I am confused as to why this book was published.

This is
Katy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book for kids near 3-5, I'd say. Read it each year to refresh. I did emphasize how she isn't allowed to yell no at me when I want to hold her hand crossing a street or parking lot. Cause I can totally see her standing boldly and proclaiming "it's my body and what I say goes! I want to walk alone." And then get smashed by a car. But overall well done and easy for young ones to get the message and practice sticking up for one's self.
Jenna Mills
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book and a must read for all kids with their carers. Could do with being longer I thought. My nearly 2 year old really took it all in. Her brow was crumpled in thought and I could tell it resonated with her. I had to explain that for health reasons this doesn't always work or her teeth would never get brushed! A part about that type of thing would have been helpful.
Alexandra Chauran
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Super straight-forward book. No story line like in Miles is the Boss of His Body.
Kel
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'No Means No!' is a brilliant children's book that teaches young children that their body belongs to them. It is down in a very child-friendly storytelling way and is perfect for young children.

I especially love that it includes not having to give a relative a hug or kiss if they don't want to. Too often people force their kids to give hugs and kisses when the child doesn't want to. This sets a dangerous precedent as it teaches the child that their body is there for the desires of 'other' people
Anna
Recommended by Dr. Laura Markham
Megan
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book to teach children about body autonomy. Offers alternate responses and reminds on every other page that no means no. My daughter loves this book.
Angel Lugo