Start by marking “Kick at the Darkness (Kick at the Darkness, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kick at the Darkness (Kick at the Darkness, #1)

Kick at the Darkness

(Kick at the Darkness #1)

To live through the zombie apocalypse they have to survive each other first.

College freshman Parker Osborne is having the worst day ever. He humiliated himself trying to pick up a cute guy, he hasn’t made any friends at school, and his stupidly hot jerk of a TA gave him a crappy grade on his paper. He’s going to drop Adam Hawkins’ film class and start fresh tomorrow aft
Published May 28th 2015 by KA Books (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Kick at the Darkness, please sign up.
Keira Andrews I planned it as a standalone, but there will very likely be a sequel. How many sequels, I'm not sure. But it's certainly possible it will be a series.…moreI planned it as a standalone, but there will very likely be a sequel. How many sequels, I'm not sure. But it's certainly possible it will be a series. (less)

Start your review of Kick at the Darkness (Kick at the Darkness, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~~BR with Ele*~~

*Who didn't want to read about zombies but loved this book anyway.

Holy shit but this was a wild fucking ride: intense, scary, SEXY, dark, and dirty, oh so DIRTY.

Kick the Darkness is part horror, part apocalyptic fiction, part tender romance.

It will make you tense and grit your teeth, and HOPE, hope with all your heart for Parker and Adam.

Parker demands that his hot TA, Adam, change the C- he received on a paper for his film class to a grade Parker thinks he deserves. Film studies is beneath PaEle*~~
*Who
Gigi
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Gigi by: EVERYONE

Every once in awhile a book comes along that everyone is talking about but you just can't seem to pick up and actually read. This happened to me with Kick at the Darkness because I'm not at all interested in reading books about gloom and doom and the end of the world. And shifter books need to be extraordinary (like Kendall McKenna's The Tameness of the Wolf series) or I just can't be bothered. But I decided to read this one since I am a big fan of Keira Andrews' work and every one of my GoodReads friends absolutely LOVED
Judith
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judith by: Denise H.
4.5 Stars.

Loved it.Off to start book 2.

Nick Pageant
Can a book about zombies and werewolves merit 5 stars?

description

This thing has got bloody goodness, smoking hot sexy times, and lots of laughs. It's silly and knows it. Pure fun.

Me + Keira Andrews =

☆ Todd
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, boy-babble

Now *FREE* with Kindle Unlimited membership!

---------------------------------------------

Just what are humans capable of when the shit well and truly hits the fan?

For me, that's really what this book was about. Yes, the living 'zombies' in this book were, by far, the biggest threat, but they most definitely weren't the only one that could kill.

For those of you who have seen other reviews comparing this read to the Sterek fanfics out there, yes, when I firel="nofollow">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...
Just
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I really hated this book. Horror is not for me, so if you hate gore and death (including deaths of children) you should AVOID THIS BOOK. I found the mix of zombies and (view spoiler) to be super awkward and I hated the unfinished ending.

I couldn't sleep after reading this one and I took away no enjoyment at all. Low steam, couple that didn't click for me, and a butt-load of gore ---> ME NO LIKEY

Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
First Read:05/15
Second Read:06/16

4.5 stars.F**** It, 5 stars. Just because my mind has made up that Adam is Derek Hale. Listen, I've watched Teen Wolf every season, and Adam is Derek minus the sour-wolf, plus this picture sold me as him.

I probably could have found one with a damn gray Henley, but that would have led to my scattered brain mind focusing on other things.

This book surpassed all my expectations. It was really good from beginning to end. No let me say PaRead:06/16
4.5
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
DNF at 66%

Yeah...I'm a wuss.

I've been trying to broaden my horizons, venture out there, read different genres. But yeah, I can safely say that zombies are

This book scared the shit out of me.

Think....

and

and

Suffice it to say, I didn't sleep much after reading to where I did.

Minus the zombies, this was a gre
Ingie
Written September 11, 2015

4 1/5 Stars - Simply adorable and thrilling fun

description description description description description

A road trip M/M in a zombie disease time?
A horror version of feared biotechnology terrorist attacks? Or just another new great heartbreaking romance by Keira Andrews? Whatever, much appreciated by many friends this summer. Felt like an absolutely weird romance topic, but it was very interesting to sta2015
.Lili.
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-pnr, m-m
 photo image.jpg1_zpspeevknb3.jpg

Ho-ly Sh*te! What. A. Book. This is the type of story I usually avoid- Dystopian/Zombie stories are not normally my thing. I either: A. Find it hard to get into the story because it sounds too unbelievable or B. It's too believable and it makes me too nervous. After reading other books by this author and loving them- I had to give this one a shot. Glad I did!

What I loved:
*It was sexy
*Gripping
*Intense
*Dirty
*Heartbreaking
*Romantic
and above all else- full of hope.

It was amazing! Why 4.5 Stars instead of 5?

I wanted more in the end. I am really hoping that t
Dalia
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The world they’d always known was vanishing. Was already gone.
Parker is a college freshman that just got a shitty grade from Adam, a hot TA, who has no intention on changing his grade, no matter how much crap Parker throws at him. Parker decides that he's going to drop Adam Hawkins’ film class first thing tomorrow, but then the world goes to hell.

A fast-spreading virus, that turns people into creepers, is unleashed.

Parker only escapes thanks to Adam. Now they head east on Adam's motorcycle to find Parker's family. They
Nazanin
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

The next day after getting a C-minus in his movie class (considering he was a straight-A student) and having a bad meeting with the TA about his grade, when Parker (18) went out of the dorm and had another bad encounter with the TA at campus, Adam (23), they noticed what was happening; people screaming, killing each other, crazy people with jerky movements… some kind of virus took over and made people to zombies! And at this moment Adam was Parker’s best chance to survive but could
Otila
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
This book was so much fun. It's Sterek meets The Walking Dead!

It's got the Zombie Apocalypse.

A werewolf.

More specifically, a hot, leather jacket wearing, motorcycle riding werewolf that looks like this guy...

A hilariously snarky cutie.

And smokin' hot man on man action!
This book was so much fun. It's Sterek meets The Walking Dead!

It's got the Zombie Apocalypse.

A werewolf.

A hilariously snarky cutie.

And smokin' hot man on man action!

It was funny and thrilling with plenty of action and I mentioned the smokin' hot smexing, right?

It could have used way more gore though and a bit more action at the end when (view spoiler) Maybe Adam ripping some throats out and blowing shit up. Just some more badassery in general. But I guess they can't all be Daryl.

Thanks to Rosa, Valerie and Therese for the great BR.
Kathleen
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Story Rating ~ 5 Stars
Both Hero Ratings ~ 5 Stars
Romance Rating ~ 5 Stars
Imagination ~ 5 Stars
Action Leve; ~ 5 Stars
Heat Level ~ 5 SCORCHING Stars!
Ending ~ 4 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 5, IT WAS EVERYTHING STARS!

Going in to this book, I KNEW I was going to really like it. I have to say that I did not like it at all,
II ABSOLUELY LOVED IT!!

The book starts off with Parker being angry that he got a C- on a paper in college. Parker NEVER gets grades that low so he ends up at Adam’s office hoping Adam would change his grade. Well, Adam’s not going to change Parker's grade. He knows that Parker took this classall,
I
Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

I love horror. I love zombies. I love hot romance. I love a combination of all three!

Two out of three ain’t bad.

What was missing for me in this story is the horror element. Even though there were plenty of mean zombies, at no time was I scared, grossed out, tense, deeply disturbed or unsettled. Zombies are supposed to be scary!

I wanted the tension, struggle, danger, reckle
Debra
There is so much I enjoyed about this book, I’m not sure where to start. I will say that you should not be put off if you think you would not “read zombies”. Like I tell my husband when I try to convince him to watch Walking Dead with me, it’s not about the zombies, it’s about the people and Keira Andrews has created two completely lovable MC’s in the very opposite Adam and Parker.

Parker is the entitled prep school graduate whose first year at Stanford isn’t starting out so well and
Ele

BR with my Dani.

Given the fact that I rarely read paranormal, let alone horror stories with zombies, I surprised myself by wanting to read this book. But the blurb was kinda tempting and frankly between Keira Andrews and Dani I didn't stand a chance.

I know some people who can handle horror pretty well. I'm not one of those people. Zombies freak me out and this was really scary sometimes. This was me when the "creepers" made an appearance, especially in a couple of scenes.

BR with my Dani.

And then

And in the end

Adam and Parker start out as enemies, when Adam, as a TA refuses to change Parker's grade. Later that day, though, when all hell breaks loose and the zombies start attacking, they are forced to depend on each other and on Mariah , Adam's bike, to survive. And so the adventure starts. As the story progresses, they will become friends and eventually lovers. But Adam has a secret ( which you have to be an idiot or totally cluelless at paranormal to miss *cough* like me *cough*) and soon Parker realises it's not only the zombies he has to worry about.

The romance NEVER takes a backseat. The story is, above all else, a love story. The connection between them is strong and the sex...oh dear,the sex...hot, filthy, disturbing and breathtaking...

As for the ending, like Dani said, I consider it a HFN. Not because of the guys, they 're still going strong. But because I think that the story itself has loose ends and we have to know more.

Keira Andrews...you made me read a paranormal-horror-zombie story. And I loved every minute of it.
Solid 5 stars and highly recommended!

* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars

Um… that was pretty darn close to perfection.

There's nothing like an apocalypse to bring two people together, who started off on the wrong foot, and force them to make nice. Of course, this leads to other things. Yeah you know what I'm talking about.

This was like the best mix of action/adventure with a dash of suspenseful horror. Those afraid of zombies can unclench a bit because I hate horror movies, and there was no time while I was reading this where I was
Rosa, really
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-gay-fiction

Hi, I'm Rosa and I'm too lazy to write a review.

Anyway, book?

Dean speaks only the truth.

Thanks for the BR, Otila, Valerie & Therese!
Deborah
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

4.5*

I'd noticed several friends had read and really enjoyed this book so I decided to give it a try after all it does combine two of my favourites M/M and shifters with the bonus of a zombie apocalypse thrown in!

Before I really start with my review I have to be honest and say I would not have continued on with this if it hadn't been for all the fabulous reviews from my friends.
Why?
Parker annoyed the every loving shit out of me early on and normally this would
Amy
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh-may-zing!! This one gets all the stars and a spot on my Favorites shelf!

Keira Andrews has quickly become one of my favorite authors. Whether she’s writing about gay Amish boys, former Marines, or werewolves in a zombie apocalypse, she always comes through for me. Engaging characters, unique storylines, off-the-charts chemistry. I’d be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but if you forced me to, I would have to say Kick at the Darkness. Holy hell, what a ride that was!

I absolutely
Chelsea
Reread- January 2019 - Still flew through this book! Onto a re-read of the sequel

July 2016 - Goodness this is such a great book!

Cracked open my paperback for this read and read it with some awesome ladies!

Review:

Whats not to love about this book, really?!?! It has humour, action, emotional times (Oh God soooo many emotions), gore, love and really hot sex! Sounds like a perfect book? well it kinda is!

As I said in my updates, I've seen a lot of Zombie movies and read a few books, but I have never felt an emotional connectihttps://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Whatssequel
July
Shile
4.5 Zombie/ Creepers stars...

I Loved it .
MC 1 : Parker
MC 2 : Adam
And Mariah the Motorbike

Our MC’s meet when Parker is given a C- in a film class paper that he believes he deserves an A since its just film class. When he goes to find the TA to change his grade what he finds is not what he expected. His TA is this hot , cool guy called Adam. And this is where their journey begins

There were Zombies(Creepers) that these two had to fight to survive

description

I loved Parker, and his sense of humor.

“Uh, yeah. Look, we’re already dealing with sort-of zombies. We need to capitalihumor.
“Uh,
Keira Andrews
This enemies to lovers, post-apocalyptic shifter romance series is now available to borrow in KU only until April 20:

Kick at the Darkness: http://amzn.to/2iY07hO
Fight the Tide: http://amzn.to/2j7ilJ1
~Mindy Lynn~
3.5*

I enjoyed this one. It was nice to read something different that had some great MC's. I loved them together. I liked how protective they were of each other. They had some hot sexy times as well.
Do I dare say I could have done with just a tad bit more action? Yes, I do. I wanted a little bit more of 'OMFG their going to kill us' action. LOL I also need another book. It just can't have ended like that. I need to know what happens next. They just can't sail off into the sunset and
Shin Mon Thway
I want to kick myself in the butt. Why was I procrastinating too long to read this book? This was on my TBR list for like forever and hell, it’s Keira Andrew! I’d read any book of hers. I really hate myself for dragging to read this book because I freakingggg looooooooved it!!!

Both Parker and Adam are lovely characters. I love how Adam was caring and protective and always thinking of Parker first. Even though they started off kinda rough, when the zombie apocalypse happened, instead of abandonin/>Both
Fabi
5 stars - yup, I'm giving it the full 5 stars

I was in a bit of a book funk when I started reading this. I'd never read a zombie story nor watched anything like that on TV or movies. So this was a bit of a reach for me. But it was mm and I'd read several great mm books recently so I decided to give it a try.

It was amazing.

Bravo

Andrews threw everything but the kitchen sink into this story.

Zombies
Shifters
Apocalypse
Evil scientist
MM romance
MM
Wendy
 photo tumblr_inline_ngv3jlMZXi1qzanqm_zpsy6webrlp.gif

Well this was a fun read :) I didn't find it scary at all, but then again, I have been preparing for the zombie apocalypse for years ;) lol

photo 29b042bd7aa250a0d5bfc4b78f89c46e45cb46cc5ece5fe7cee8310119f8492b_1_zps1r7fpivu.gif

This book is about Parker, a student, and Adam a TA. Parker and Adam meet, when Parker is not satisfied about a grade Adam gave him. They don't really get off on the right foot, b
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
4 Lights Off Please Stars!

There was this....

And there was that!

And this...

oooh, and....wow!

4 Lights Off Please Stars!

There was this....

And there was that!

And this...

oooh, and....wow!

And ...ooh my....

And.....

“Well, ladies and gentlemen…” With a flourish, Parker pointed up at a flock of geese, their perfect V formation stretching across the clouds. “We’re following these guys south for the winter.”

OMG...WHAT A WILD AND CRAZY 4 FANTASTIC STAR RIDE!

THIS BOOK SHOULD BE READ WITH THE LIGHTS OFF!

Also, please beware this book reminds me of a lot of popular TV shows, that colleagues and friends, try to tell me about. They give up on me when I give them a blank stare. And, due to that lack of originality I can see why one would rating down a wee bit for that. But, lucky for me, I don't give a care. And, I do not watch TV. So now I get to see why the world loves this stuff. *happy dancing*

Re-read 9/2/2016 for prep of book 2....finally out ^_^and, you will need book 2 as the ending in this is not finished. And I do not like that, and there was some open holes in the storyline, a few missed wonderful moments such as (view spoiler) . Thus 4 Stars.
Eva
3 popping zombie cherry stars rounded up

Did I like it?

What can I say, I'm in minority here - i didn't like this book.

I knew it was a risky choice as I don't usual
Reread before Fight the Tide 19th of July 462 41 Jul 21, 2016 05:16AM
Reading with friends from Monday July 13 41 32 Jul 17, 2015 11:44AM

• The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Wolves of Black Pine  (The Wolfkin Saga #1)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero
  • Five Minutes Longer (Enhanced, #1)
  • How to Walk like a Man (Howl at the Moon #2)
  • How to Howl at the Moon (Howl at the Moon #1)
  • Muscling Through
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Kage (Kage Trilogy, #1)
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Noah
  • Knight of Ocean Avenue (Love in Laguna, #1)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
  • The Shearing Gun
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
After writing for years yet never really finding the right inspiration, Keira discovered her voice in gay romance, which has become a passion. She writes contemporary, historical, paranormal and fantasy fiction, and—although she loves delicious angst along the way—Keira firmly believes in happy endings. For as Oscar Wilde once said, “The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fict ...more

Kick at the Darkness (3 books)
  • Fight the Tide (Kick at the Darkness, #2)
  • Untitled  (Kick at the Darkness, #3)
“Adam, you could be a lesbian vampire succubus who moonlights as a golem and I would still want to suck your cock twenty-four-seven.” 6 likes
“Right. So swords would be good. Where do swords come from? Like, who sells swords in the twenty-first century? It’s probably all online. Does Amazon Prime still deliver in the apocalypse?” 5 likes